Forums > General Industry > put a model in her place

Photographer

Digital M A G I C

I know this is going to start a lot of drama, but it’s not like I give a shit so…….

Here’s my story, fell free to share yours.

I answered a New York Craig’s list ad the other day “TFCD Photographer needed for outdoors shoot“

My Email to the Model:
“I would like more info on this... Like; What type of project is this? Where will it be shot? Who’s the model? Where can see some of her photos? Where will my photos be used? Things like that and any other info you can give.â€?

I thought this was a simple request on my behalf, for information that should have been in the ad.

Model:
“I would be happy to furnish that information if you would provide samples of your work.â€?

Ok no problem there.

Now I’m no pro, but I am proud of the work that I do, and I’m not afraid to show it.
So I started to replay (out of reflex) with a link to my Model Mayhem page along with some photos of shots I don’t have posted.

Then something just snapped, LOL I don’t know why but I ended up posting a replay to her ad on Craig’s list.

That went like this…
“You expect an experience photographer to carry equipment around the hot city all weekend; taken photos of your STUPID ASS. (While paying for their own transportation, lunch, and water)

You want the photos retouched so that no one can see that STUPID look in your one good eye. (Hours of work, just to make you happy)

You want the photos on a CD in different formats that you can use for your CD cover or whatever. (The Photographer / Photo Editor / Designer, won’t see a dime form the sell of his/her work)

Not only do you want all of this and most likely more. You want it all for FREE

But only after you view the photographers work, and decide if their good enough to work for you.

All of this before you give-up any real info on this project of yours

Read this over a few times... maybe the focus will come back into that eye of yours, and you’ll start to see how STUPID you really are.â€?

She ended up calling me a jackass.

But it’s not like I give a shit so……..

Jun 02 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

um ok
you have issues, bipolar maybe ???
sorry but thats what I think.

TFP or not it wasn't going to kill you to show her your work first. She may be broke but at the same time she may have friends with money who would pay you also. If she had a look you could use as well.

I dont do TFP anymore unless I offer it but since you expressed interest in her TFP offer then wasn't going to kill you to send your link.
Chances are she would have like it anyways.

Jun 02 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

You want a cookie?

Jun 02 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I thought it was pretty funny!

Jun 02 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Wow...I read your post and was just about to give you an "atta-boy"..until I read your MM profile where you say:

I'm willing to do TFCD.

end of my comment : (

Oliver

Jun 02 06 05:43 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Uhm, it's craigslist...
Do you know how many fucking weirdos are on that site?

She was right to call you a jackass. You didn't put her in her place, you just burned a bridge for no good reason, and made yourself look crazy in the process.

If you think TFCD is so "STUPID" you should never have answered her ad in the first place. Don't be so proud of yourself for being smarmy asshole.

Jun 02 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Oliver Cole wrote:
Wow...I read your post and was just about to give you an "atta-boy"..until I read your MM profile where you say:

I'm willing to do TFCD.

end of my comment : (

Oliver

Hell, he initially answered her ad as worded (which may have requested work samples initially) KNOWING it was asking for TFP. Then freaked out when she asked to see work samples.  He sounds like a lunatic.  With one good eye.

Jun 02 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Bell goes Bare

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

uh, yeah. so... um, anyway...  having a bad day?

Jun 02 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

you sure showed her and put her in her place!  you da man... i guess.

Jun 02 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

Uhhhh...HELLO....why respond to a TFP request on craigslist?

She was pretty straight forward. You on the other hand have some pent up anger. Maybe go for a walk in the woods or something and breeeaaathe

Jun 02 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

It's still pretty funny....not the best business practices......but funny.....not something I would choose to do.....but funny.

Jun 02 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

So you're the guy mucking up CL with useless posts whining about how others do business.  Thanks.

Jun 02 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

wait where is the link to your
"high quality photography"?

I know you may be newer at shooting but we all grow together and if you burn too many little bridges on your way across the streams of life, You won't have any big ones to support you when you get dumped into the big bad mississippi.

Jun 02 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

Brian Diaz wrote:
So you're the guy mucking up CL with useless posts whining about how others do business.  Thanks.

WOWZA over 10,000 posts!!!

Jun 02 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

I always put a model in her place.

"Stay in front of the fucking camera, sweetie..."

Jun 02 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

Jay Bowman wrote:
I always put a model in her place.

"Stay in front of that fucking camera, sweetie..."

I have learned that some "photographers" Don't like it when you can out shoot them....
*hugs Jay*

Jun 02 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I must admit that is funny as shit.....and yes I agree she should have given better details.....but you definitely over reacted....you never know who will see that and remember it....you're better off politely accepting or declining. There have been TFP shoots I have done that have led to getting paying clientele.....no offense but anyone who catches wind of that will think you're an unstable jackass.....I can't say your points are wrong, but there's no need to burn bridges.

Jun 02 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Sanders

I think I just pulled a muscle laughing...

Jun 02 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
I have learned that some "photographers" Don't like it when you can out shoot them....
*hugs Jay*

Oh, be reasonable.  Outshooting me is not particularly difficult.  I've grown quite accustomed to it, actually.

But thanks for the hug...

Jun 02 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
....you never know who will see that and remember it......no offense but anyone who catches wind of that will think you're an unstable jackass....

Lots of people will see it if he posts it for all in a public forum...

Jun 02 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Damn!  The model asked to see some of your work, that's all.  If you had a problem with what she was requesting, you shouldn't have responded to her ad...just move on to the next model...simple as that.  No need to insult her like that.  Do you often talk to models this way?  I hope not.  You say "You don't give a sh!t," but maybe you SHOULD because you don't want the word to get around that you're "that psychotic photographer with anger issues."

Jun 02 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Hey!  I am a photographer with only ONE EYE so I take offense to the remarks!  Here is the deal.  TFP means BOTH OF YOU must accomidate EACH OTHER!  God I am so sick of ego's I could vomit!

Jun 02 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Digital M A G I C

I knew this was going to start a lot drama

But it's not like I give a......… Well you know how it goes

Anyway it’s not about the money, and I don’t mind helping someone who needs the help.

But that’s just it, if you need help act like it.

Don’t act like your some super model setting up a top secret photo shoot, refusing to give out any info until your high standards are reached.

She asked for the help not me.

Jun 02 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

dncphotos wrote:
you have issues, bipolar maybe ???

Hey! Don't put down the bipolars here! He just probably has a nasty personality disorder.

Jun 02 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Digital M A G I C wrote:

Anyway it’s not about the money, and I don’t mind helping someone who needs the help.

Don’t act like your some super model setting up a top secret photo shoot, refusing to give out any info until your high standards are reached.

For someone who seemingly does NOT give a Sh----t you sure do give a sh---t !  Dude, chill.  I have seen your work, and I am sure you have seen mine.  What in the world is wrong with her asking.

Isn't it YOU that chose to be a photographer? 
Isn't it YOU that posted you are willing to do TFP? 
Isn't you that initially did not see anything wrong with sending her images, remember you requested the same of her.

So the way I see it, you do give a sh---t!  So deal with it!  Oh wait, your from New York,,,that explains a lot! LOL

Jun 02 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Digital M A G I C wrote:

Asking to see your work is not a high standard.

Don't offer help if you're above providing basic info.  I wouldn't even bother submitting myself for a job on craigslist (paid or not) without sending a work sample. It's like applying for a job or internship and refusing to send a resume until they told you what you wanted to know. If they didn't tell you right off and think you need to know that, then DON'T apply.

Jun 02 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ho hooo, yeah...  if I saw that, no way I'd work with you - you put yourself in your place. I don't have a bad eye and my ass isn't all that stupid, but it sounds like you want to make them look that way - in order to vent general frustration unto one unsuspecting model?

I'm also laughing, but at you - you don't even know if this particular girl would demand all these things you implied!

I hadn't ever heard of Craiglists, but finally took a look last week - it's impressive if anyone gets serious work from there! The model was likely aware there are some sketchy types on that site, and was just being careful. Probably not the best place to find work, to begin with, but at that rate, you're on there too - so you should understand the uncertainties associated with.

That burns so many bridges, you're like, standing on an island by now... tongue

~S.

Jun 02 06 06:16 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

~Krista~ wrote:
Hey! Don't put down the bipolars here! He just probably has a nasty personality disorder.

Borderline because he's short tempered?
Histrionic because he posted it for all to see?
Narcissistic because he expected to be praised for this?
Schizotypal because he's out of touch with reality?

Jun 02 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

theda wrote:

Borderline because he's short tempered?
Histrionic because he posted it for all to see?
Narcissistic because he expected to be praised for this?
Schizotypal because he's out of touch with reality?

Don't forget he most likely was not breast fed as a baby?

Jun 02 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

There are dozens of both so called models and photographers on Craig’s list who play this pathetic "show me yours and I'll show you mine" game.
Here is a challenge, why not try to put up a posting that already has all the relevant information in it???

Jun 02 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Digital M A G I C wrote:

a) crap
b) poop
c) flying fuck at a rolling donut
d) none of the above

Jun 02 06 06:18 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Scott Evans wrote:

Don't forget he most likely was not breast fed as a baby?

Well, that's Psychodynamic/Freudian theory and not terribly relevant to psychopathology (or much of anything else). Maybe he was breastfed for too long?

Jun 02 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

a) crap
b) poop
c) flying fuck at a rolling donut
d) none of the above

Ooh! C! C! The answer is always C.

And I loved Slapstick.

Jun 02 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Digital M A G I C wrote:

No she didn't.  She asked for equitable trade.  Either way is no excuse to act like a jackass.

Jun 02 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

To me (if that is how you actually worded your reply to her)  all that you did was show an incredible amount of ignorance and a serious lack of maturity on your part.  What was the need to call her Stupid?  Her STUPID ASS, her STUPID LOOK.... Grow up.  A simple reply of, "I'm sorry, but at this time I would like to withdraw my previous offer" would have been just a touch better.

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

theda wrote:

Well, that's Psychodynamic/Freudian theory and not terribly relevant to psychopathology (or much of anything else). Maybe he was breastfed for too long?

Hmm interesting.  I did not get that when I was defending my dissertation in order to get my PhD in Psychology, but then again what do I know LOL!  it is all guess work anyway.

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

theda wrote:

Don't offer help if you're above providing basic info.  I wouldn't even bother submitting myself for a job on craigslist (paid or not) without sending a work sample. It's like applying for a job or internship and refusing to send a resume until they told you what you wanted to know. If they didn't tell you right off and think you need to know that, then DON'T apply.

I was about to say the same thing.

Jun 02 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Ken Long wrote:
To me (if that is how you actually worded your reply to her)  all that you did was show an incredible amount of ignorance and a serious lack of maturity on your part.  What was the need to call her Stupid?  Her STUPID ASS, her STUPID LOOK.... Grow up.  A simple reply of, "I'm sorry, but at this time I would like to withdraw my previous offer" would have been just a touch better.

Sadly, maturity is something that is not in abundance on this site, and many like it

Jun 02 06 06:24 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Scott Evans wrote:

Hmm interesting.  I did not get that when I was defending my dissertation in order to get my PhD in Psychology, but then again what do I know LOL!  it is all guess work anyway.

How log ago were you working on your PhD? By the time I teetered my way into college, Almost all of Freud was considered a quaint historical factoid.  Actually, I think he's been discredited too much. But the oral/anal/gental phase thing is still pretty out there.

Jun 02 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

theda wrote:

Exactly.  Like theda said, asking to see your work is not a high standard...it's routine.  Just because you responded to her ad, she's supposed to be honored and agree to shoot with you without seeing any of your work (and without asking any questions)?  She doesn't sound stupid to me...sounds like she knows what she's doing.  And as for the high expectations...I didn't see anything in her statements (in your first post) that showed this...maybe you're just assuming that she would want all these things.

Jun 02 06 06:29 pm Link