Forums > General Industry > What's with the Laundry lists?

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

One thing I've learned from this thread is some models that I might want to work with and some I would no longer even think about!

smile

Feb 22 06 08:24 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Thanks Albie for the tag..Pe@ce

Feb 22 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

VRG Photography wrote:

You want butter?

I just took some out of the microwave.

(BTW, nice portfolio!)

Butter, please.. and thank you smile  Not bad for a "smut" photographer, I suppose.  I still have a LOT to learn but the journey has been fun.

You've got some great shots in yours too with some really beautiful models.

Feb 22 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

CristinaLex wrote:
i could care less what beef is with who....me and Isa have talked thts done with...we learned from misunderstanding...ur misunderstanding people or trying to understand them but at the same time trying to make them sound stupid....if your new there not much you know..so whay try to quote some ones words and make remarks about how they see things if you havent had tht much experience....just a view in the eye of a tiger....smile

Fortunately for me. . .I don't have to try to make people sound stupid.  They do that all by themselves by not "thinking" about what they post.  And I'm by no means asserting my own perfection.  I'm not.  I have a lot of room to grow.  As does everyone here. . .hence why we're all here to begin with.

As a new person, I'm full of questions.  I've never once stated my personal viewpoint or opinion as fact.  Read my posts if you like. . .won't find one of them doing that.

Albie addressed a lot of things that, yes, I took offense to.  Not becaus he said them (like he wants to make everyone else here believe) but rather because some of the issues he expressed having a "problem" with. . .fit my profile.  Just like if you had on your page, "I will only do TFP with certain photogs". . .you may/may not take that personally.  I'm new. . .I had three out of six of his complaints on mypage. . .I took offense.  I know it wasn't directed at me personally (I suppose it was really a "rant") but nonetheless. . .the shoe fit my foot.  Weather or not it was my style is a totally different issue.

Feb 22 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:
One thing I've learned from this thread is some models that I might want to work with and some I would no longer even think about!

smile

C'est Lavi.  Can't do right by everybody all the time.

Feb 22 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I just feel that your post was primarily stating that new models shouldn't have aspirations about whom they'd like to work with (if you see good photog ports. . .why not desire to work with whom you feel is good/stellar/aweome???  Who cares that you're new???), and that they shouldn't expect to be paid.  I disagree with the latter (although I don't "demand" it) b/c I feel it's precisely like KatieK says:  if you only do TFP that's all that will be in your port.  I know that part of being a successful model is "paying" for a "professionally" done port.  I feel a lot of new models feel the same way.  I also feel it is a tad presumptuous to say that new models shouldn't expect to be paid.  You said yourself that just because they're new doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid. . .so why not ask???  Closed mouths don't get fed.

If you're new & demanding pay, you won't get to work with a lot of stellar, or even good, people in most cases, as they have no need to or interest in paying models.
If you're new & expect to build a port without doing TFP's, unless you're one of a very lucky few you'll never get a good port.  There're all too many women who come in to this expecting pay, and in some cases BIG pay right away who end up discouraged and don't understand why they don't get work.
Often this's driven by inexperience, overblown ego, or internet "managers."
And what happens when a photographer politely suggestes she do some trade or pay for photos so she has something to show herself off?  She responds with disdain, insults, abuse, and in some cases complaints to mods or site admins about how she's being harrassed.
So a lot of photographers see new & completely inexperienced girls with no quality shots in their ports & it turns them right off.
Putting "Compensation negotiable" makes a LOT more sense.

Feb 22 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I mentioned nobody specifically!

Feb 22 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:

Butter, please.. and thank you smile  Not bad for a "smut" photographer, I suppose.  I still have a LOT to learn but the journey has been fun.

You've got some great shots in yours too with some really beautiful models.

Thanks!

Feb 22 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:

Butter.....

*Adds to his photo idea list*

Feb 22 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

*Adds to his photo idea list*

LOL, yum!

Feb 22 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

what I've  learned from this thread is the inability of people here to stay near topic.

Why do so  many thread biol down to the pay or not pay argument.

Does no one care about the art.

Money only exist when doing comercial gigs or selling prints beyond that require pay is taking from the art.

Feb 22 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

what I've  learned from this thread is the inability of people here to stay near topic.

Money only exist when doing comercial gigs or selling prints beyond that require pay is taking from the art.

Now to the subject four pages ago wasthat new models have an insane laundry list of demands. Screw them, if your a photograper and you cant find inewperiances girl to pose for free with no demands, then your in the wrong field. Limits are good, Prfessional courtesy are good, demand just cause you to be passed over.

Martin IV

www.martincoatesiv.com

Feb 22 06 08:53 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I mentioned nobody specifically!

I know.  Just a feeble attempt at humor.  Wait. . .that wasn't directed at me either.  Dam!  Srewed up again.  Now Albie's really gonna chop my head off.

Feb 22 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
Limits are good, Prfessional courtesy are good, demand just cause you to be passed over.

I agree with Martin.  Oops.  I'm not allowed to say that.

Feb 22 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
If anyone has an issue with what I've said in this thread. . .please. . .feel free to report me to a moderator. 

Grow up.  It's the net.  It's a thread.  It's not the Bible, Holy Grail or otherwise.

Actually, this thread is much less ambiguous and more coherent in its narrative than the Bible.  smile

Feb 22 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

To me, when dealing with new models there is a simple rule of thumb: the longer the list of demands the faster I run - away. Sorry, I just don't have time for divas and I have had no problem finding really nice women to work with. So, thanks to all the great models out there - you're the best!

Feb 22 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Barker

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

smile

I hear ya! smile

Feb 22 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Newbies...they don't know any better.

Feb 23 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

Now to the subject four pages ago wasthat new models have an insane laundry list of demands. Screw them, if your a photograper and you cant find inewperiances girl to pose for free with no demands, then your in the wrong field. Limits are good, Prfessional courtesy are good, demand just cause you to be passed over.

Martin IV

www.martincoatesiv.com

you said it martin, i test a model because i want two things to happen:
1. i want to create something that is good for both the model and myself, the more images out there with my name on them, the better, but they better be pics i'm proud of

2. i want to help a model (who i think has potential) in this cut-throat business, its hard enough to get any one to help you..i rememebr when i was starting out there were few mentors

it kills me when i see a model with no tearsheets or any signs of real work saying "i only do paid assignments now"... wake-up!!!!!do tests, lots of tests and from a good book will come the fruits of your labor, paying clients..... Clients pay the photgraphers, clients py the models...

Feb 23 06 04:07 pm Link