Forums > General Industry > so why is blackmirages racist ?

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

CantikFotos wrote:
Hell......no one in the world screams "racist" as much as Americans. I'm afraid to order black coffee in McDonalds when I go home.

Don't worry about ordering the black coffee. It's now kept lukewarm so you cannot possibly burn your vaginal region with it, by driving while keeping it carefully clamped between your legs.

Jan 15 07 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Black_Lady_in_Utah wrote:
I dont see a problem in having blackmirages for the simple fact that we do live in a world where westernized beauty is considered the standardized beauty. Many minorities have been segregated for so long and taught that they do not measure up the being beautiful in the eyes of the norm until...why is it a problem to have a website reflecting the beauty and pride of your culture, ethnicity or backround? The images were not put together as though it was a minstral show nor did I see any disgraceful or discriminating photos.  What is the issue?

People are upset because of the name of the site. And Alain Paris a white french boy did that work to show his love for African woman. People are upset because they interpret his work in a different way.

Jan 15 07 11:05 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:

I am just making fun of the whole thing here... no-one would say you look African... when you look North-African. They'd say... North-African.
African would be for someone that looks... OMG black ???? OMG that must be racist.
LMAO.

My friend is Egyptian-American, so I told her to put African-American on her college app. She got in, plus she got a partial scholarship.

Jan 15 07 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

1. You left out a word.
2. I haven't seen the post you're talking about.
3. There's a difference between things like hereditary traits of outward appearance and things like the gender a person "like likes."  I don't like being left out of things because I'm white or thin, but I don't mind being left out of things because I have tattoos or don't shop at Wal Mart.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=109150

Jan 15 07 11:07 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=109150

Thanks for the link.  I may check it out later, but it's not really something I'm interested in.  smile.

Jan 15 07 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Monica Jay wrote:

My friend is Egyptian-American, so I told her to put African-American on her college app. She got in, plus she got a partial scholarship.

Good for her. I'm of Yugoslavian-Irish descent. If they had a "mongrel" checkbox, I'd use it, but I usually have to settle for Other.

Jan 15 07 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Monica Jay wrote:

So you admit stealing  a scholarship that was created for POOR person to get to college. And you and your friends are an upper middle class Middle Eastern people.

Time for Jihad.

Jan 15 07 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Archer Photography KCMO

Kansas City, Missouri, US

How can GROWN people be Sooooooooo stupid??!! 

If those who think the site is racist would be so concerned with the REAL issue of racisism then the world specificly the USA would be much better for people of color,... we hae made MUCh progress but it is still all over.

To say a site or photographer is racist is ignorant...

Definition...

Racism is a ""belief system or doctrine"" which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual achievement — with a corollary that one's own race is superior [whites not African Americans] and has the ""right to rule others.""

Views or preferences against mixing of the races (miscegenation), and/or a generalization of a specific group of people (stereotype).
Racism has been used in attempts to justify social discrimination, racial segregation and violence, including genocide. Politicians are known to practice race baiting in an effort to win constituents.

Therrie Lagoue [SP] is a French Photographer who did a series of photos and did a book of black models, because when he was shooting for Vogue, Elle etc... they would not LET him shoot black models.. so when he did is OWN project he used ONLY black models,... because of "that" he ia racist? ....STUPID.

Look for REAL RACISM as strong and consistant as you do on this forum and then don't TALK or WRITE about it if you are so concerned,. DO SOMETHING about it!

Jan 15 07 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

So you admit stealing  a scholarship that was created for POOR person to get to college. And you and your friends are an upper middle class Middle Eastern people.

Time for Jihad.

She said nothing about the income requirements for receiving the scholarship. Egypt, dear reader, is part of Africa. Thus any immigrant from Egypt to the U.S. is by definition an African-American.

Also, I'm not quite sure how you got your hands on Monica or her friend's tax returns so you could comment on their social status.

Jan 15 07 11:16 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Time for Jihad.

Her parents were born in Africa; she was born in America. African-American smile

They didn't have a Middle Eastern category at my school, so I got put in the "Asian/Pacific Islander" category.

Jan 15 07 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Monica Jay wrote:

Her parents were born in Africa; she was born in America. African-American smile

They didn't have a Middle Eastern category at my school, so I got put in the "Asian/Pacific Islander" category.

All UnoMundo had to do was get a map, and note the continent containing the nation of Egypt.

Jan 15 07 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Legacys 7, what's your point of view on Alain Paris' work?

His work is beautiful and powerful. Nostolgic work that is coming from his heart.

People will always look for something negaitve to say because they are very insecure. And I'm not talking about prefence or something that truley is negative. Big difference. That's a grown ass man.

It makes me think of photographer Bruce Tolbert. MM member. He does have a few images of white models, but his work is over 99.9 percent black, from what I've seen in his portfolio. We all have reason for doing what we do. There is nothing wrong in what they are shooting. One of the finest models that I've seen on here was taken by Bruce Talbot. Dark skinned, beautiful full lips. I mean this woman is 'too' getah. Just like I enjoy those big booty images in Ransom J's port. Good Lawd! Aint no shame here baby.

We like what we like and we all don't like the samethings. That's my point of view.

Jan 15 07 11:20 pm Link

Model

Charonda

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Searcher wrote:

I think, because the existence of its name alone sustains racial divides. What makes African-Americans a people seperate from other people? The labels they apply to themselves.

Everyone is different...not as human beings but the struggles that we go through, culture, backround, confidence, self acknowledgement and enlightenment. When there is no more discrimination against those of different ethnic and cultural backrounds, prejudice in statistics, ghettos and power struggles...there should be no more channels, websites, commercials, etc set up to uplift the minority groups who are ostracized everyday.

Jan 15 07 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Everyone is different...not as human beings but the struggles that we go through, culture, backround, confidence, self acknowledgement and enlightenment. When there is no more discrimination against those of different ethnic and cultural backrounds, prejudice in statistics, ghettos and power struggles...there should be no more channels, websites, commercials, etc set up to uplift the minority groups who are ostracized everyday.

Can statistics be prejudicial? Or is it their application by the prejudiced that makes them seem problematic?

Jan 15 07 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Monica Jay wrote:

thanks for the clarification, about her birthplace. Now you admit that there are indeed African Americans.

and since Trevor  are quoting Boutros Boutros, yes she is African-American, not Egyptian.

Jan 15 07 11:29 pm Link

Model

Charonda

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:

Can statistics be prejudicial? Or is it their application by the prejudiced that makes them seem problematic?

Ill say this...not all statistics are accurate and those who are performing statistical studies obviously have their own beliefs and opinions. You can take one subject with the same concepts, place them in the hands of different groups and come out with several different stats.

Photographer

Legacys 7

He isn't going to see this because of the lack of. When there is a lack of, you don't know.

Example, guys on my job who bug out at some of the customers house that from the point fo view is nasty. I'm not talking about nasty. I just sit back and laughed to myself and shake my head at them. Well, I also shake my head and laugh at them, because it also shows how people can appear to be one thing to you in your face, but another behind your back. Face value.

The problem is, when you never been in hard situations or out there, how do you know? Many don't and many don't understand nor want to until they are in those types of situation. Point? You are just wasting words upon deaf ears.

Photographer

Legacys 7

Trevor Snyder wrote:

Question? Do you always believe in statistics?

Jan 15 07 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Searcher wrote:
It is the name that is of concern.

Yeah, I get it now. It's like here in America, we shouldn't have sports teams with names like the "Fighting Sioux, Washington Redskins, etc.", since supposedly that degrades American Indians and is racist.  Magazines like "Ebony" shouldn't exist and neither should the National Asociation for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), or The Americal Negro College Fund". Both of those are not only racist (according to your definition of it being an issue with the name), but are also racist in their behavior in that they exclude people of other skin colors. I presume I could find more and better examples of organizations that are racist in either name or in actual practice.

I live in a suburb of Minneapolis. This suburb is on a creek that has many raccoons. Once upon a time, someone named that creek "Coon Creek".  Later, the railroads came and put a water stop on the line near some rapids on the creek and called the stop "Coon Rapids".  I live in a city called "Coon Rapids".

Some idiot on our City Council was such a racist that he said he was embarrassed to tell people he was from Coon Rapids, and wanted to change the name.

I contend that racism is not something that is in some "name", it's an attitude and a behavior.

The site in question shows me nothing that would indicate any sort of negative attitude or behaviour that would indicate to me that the site is in any way racist. If I went half way around the world to Africa, I might just find that many of the women there are beautiful. I might want to photograph them. I may decide to limit my photography there to people who are dark skinned. I might find that both beautiful and also different from what I normally see at home.  I might exclude people of white skin because I may feel that I can shoot them at home and don't need to travel to some far corner of the earth to do that. I might later create a web-site to feature my photographs.  I might decide to target market to people of color or to people who have been to Africa or to anyone else who likes my photographs.  Would that make me a racist? I don't think so.

Rather than suggest that some photographer who took tasteful images of people of color,  is a racist....perhaps you should go after the NAACP, or the American Negro College Fund or Ebony Magazine, because in those three examples, according to you, their name is an issue...but in my world, they are in name and in practice, much more racist than the photographer in question.

What do you suppose would happen if someone started the "Association for the Advancement of White People"? Or, "The American White Person College Fund"? What about "Honkey-Cracker Magazine"??

Jan 15 07 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Searcher wrote:

Alberto already answered you quite eloquently. Something bothers you when blacks have stuff.

No, but thanks for playing the lowbrow responses, you only strengthen my argument.

No, something bothers me when people cluster together by race when we've been relatively free of geographic divisions for quite some time now, particularly in the USA.

Those networks are in other languages. They are also based on cultures. "Black" is not a culture, it is a race.

By your logic, it would be perfectly acceptable to start an english-language Yellow Entertainment Television channel for all the asians. That doesn't sound right.

I'm saying it would be fine if it were called African-American Entertainment Television, but the word "black" makes it racist. If you think otherwise... why?

and non-Yellows can start their Non-Yellow Entertainment Television channel or NYET smile  hmm how about Mellow Yellow? Is that racist? smile

Jan 15 07 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

CantikFotos

Trevor Snyder wrote:

Don't worry about ordering the black coffee. It's now kept lukewarm so you cannot possibly burn your vaginal region with it, by driving while keeping it carefully clamped between your legs.

My mangina is fine, thank you very much. :^)

Jan 16 07 12:14 am Link

Model

Michelle Vatcher

Fresno, California, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
Honestly I don't think it's fair that you can have Black entertainment television but not white entertainment television.I mean not trying to say I'd even watch it if it did exsist but I just don't understand how it's ok to say black only but it's not ok to say white only.It's still racism.Back in the day African Americans didn't want to have seperate water fountains or bathrooms, yet now they rejoice to have BET.

I believe to single out any race for any reason is being racist.This doesn't really offend me but it is my opinion on the matter.Although after looking over the site I don't find it to be much of a race thing.It seems to be genuinely an art thing.

That is just about what I said in the begining.  it doesn't matter if all his photos are of blacks!!! that is what he likes to do! leave it at that!!!

Jan 16 07 12:16 am Link

Model

Adieu

thanks for the clarification, about her birthplace. Now you admit that there are indeed African Americans.

and since Trevor  are quoting Boutros Boutros, yes she is African-American, not Egyptian.

I never said African-American doesn't exist. I just believe that almost everyone who is called African-American is just an American.

Jan 16 07 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Monica Jay wrote:
I never said African-American doesn't exist. I just believe that almost everyone who is called African-American is just an American.

And why do you feel that they are just American?

Also, it's U.S. citizen.

Jan 16 07 12:50 am Link

Model

Adieu

Legacys 7 wrote:
And why do you feel that they are just American?

For example, my boyfriend considers himself as an American, not a German-American.

Legacys 7 wrote:
Also, it's U.S. citizen.

I'm not talking about a U.S. citizen.

Jan 16 07 01:31 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michelle Vatcher wrote:
I think the person is still living in the old days where the black were the minority! I mean the searchers point is the same as if we said we were going to have an all white awards show, we would be concidered racist but the blacks have an awards show and no one thinks that is racist at all. Just kinda a wierd fact that makes no sense. I mean I am so not racist, I have best friends that are of every race ( I mean I married a part japanese guy) I just think it is funny that they say things like this. So I think if your art is black women or men or children, go for it! that is YOUR right and your passion  NO ONE should tell you other wise!!!

the owner of black mirages is a white photographer named alain paris. hes facinated by Africa and African women. so thats what he photographs primarily.black people as well as other people of colour are still very under represented in the media. how many black actors have received oscars? less than ten. think about that number in terms of how many great black actors and actresses there are in the biz. thats why we have our own award shows , so we can recognize the acheivments of our  brothers and sisters instead of waiting for the white community to recognize them. strangly enough white artist have received soul train awards though albiet not many.

Jan 16 07 01:45 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Iris wrote:

What if it was based on caucasian blondes?

been done before.

Jan 16 07 01:49 am Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

It'd be called Playboy magazine

Thank you. (!!) People are so quick to point out Black award shows/BET, but few people bother to notice/point out things like Playboy is almost exclusively white, or the fact that young American children learn White history every day, all year round (for when people start complaining about MLK Day/Black History Month).

Jan 16 07 01:50 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Gabriel wrote:

LOL That sounds about right. I saw the site and did not see it as prejudiced in some way. I agree that some things use the word "black" in a way that excludes others (Black Men magazine, "black bike week," etc.), but I don't feel this is relevant to that site.

even black mens magazine has had at least one white model and several hispanics and even an asian or two.

Jan 16 07 01:56 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CantikFotos wrote:

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:
The comment itself is not racist, but the behavior that it describes is/was the result of racist policies of National Geographic.

You specifially mentioned "little white boys"........I suppose little black boys in the 1960s didn't look at nude photos.

Few white women do their shopping or walk around town nude.

have you ever been to black beach in california? or any beach in the nederlands antilles?

Jan 16 07 02:06 am Link

Model

Michelle Vatcher

Fresno, California, US

why does everyone feel the need to always be defensive on the forums? oh well...I'm out! these things get to crazy for my taste!

Jan 16 07 02:09 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Searcher wrote:

Perspective? You think we should ignore the small issues? That seems to work in a lot of situations. Oh, wait, no it doesn't.

The site's name refers to the racial background of the subjects, not the social background. How is that not racist?

if alain paris finds black women to be more interesting subjects, thats not racist thats his preference. no one called helmut newton racist for photographing mostly white women. i have actually seen a shot that alain did of a european woman once ill try to find it for you.

Jan 16 07 02:11 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

It is always a challenge for people to understand that not everyone thinks the same way.  Some people find it racist, some don't.  Let's argue about it for at least three more pages before we decide everyone with a differing opinion is an idiot.

Jan 16 07 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Iris wrote:

What if it was based on caucasian blondes?

Then it would be called Playboy.com

Jan 16 07 02:14 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Searcher wrote:

Alberto already answered you quite eloquently. Something bothers you when blacks have stuff.

No, but thanks for playing the lowbrow responses, you only strengthen my argument.

No, something bothers me when people cluster together by race when we've been relatively free of geographic divisions for quite some time now, particularly in the USA.

Those networks are in other languages. They are also based on cultures. "Black" is not a culture, it is a race.

By your logic, it would be perfectly acceptable to start an english-language Yellow Entertainment Television channel for all the asians. That doesn't sound right.

I'm saying it would be fine if it were called African-American Entertainment Television, but the word "black" makes it racist. If you think otherwise... why?

black american culture is indeed different than white american culture. the slang , the dances , the music, exept where co opted by the dominant culture are all very different. and there is nothing wrong with that. i love african culture and its off shoots, african american and african carribean.

Jan 16 07 02:17 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Then it would be called Playboy.com

But, to be more relevant, what if Playboy.com changed their name to "Whitehotties.com?"

Jan 16 07 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

But, to be more relevant, what if Playboy.com changed their name to "Whitehotties.com?"

But they didn't.

Jan 16 07 02:20 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Tim Baker wrote:
But they didn't.

And that is the only point I've been trying to get across in my posts here.
Some people percieve the site in question to be racist because of the way it is presented in the title. 

I did a google search for "white models" and it came back with models of the white house, models of white-tailed deer, white-box models.. Nothing about white people who are models.

I did a google search for "black models" and it came back with www.bullz-eye.com/gallery/black_models.htm, www.blackrefer.com/models.html, www.up-n-runnin.com/blackmodels2/ , www.ethnicmodelsonline.com/, www.blackgirl.org/agencies.html .. And those are just the first five pages that came up.

I'm saying that the problem is that it's so acceptable to say "this is only for black people," but to say "this is only for white people" is asking for a lawsuit.  That's why some people consider it a racist site.  Because it's something that is accepted for blacks, but not whites.

To say "this is only for Africans" is different because it describes a country, a culture, an ancestery.  But to say "sorry, your skin is too light to apply" is discrimination in the eyes of some.  The opposite is discrimination in the eyes of all.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right.

Everyone argues that a lot of things are very white oriented, but they just don't put it out there like that.  I partly agree.  Just like Playboy.com.  However, they don't only use white models.  Maybe Hef likes prefers white girls, but if he didn't put other "races" in the magazine, he would get into trouble.  It's not acceptable.  Or maybe he prefers beautiful women and realizes they come from all over the place.  The December Playmate was a girl named Kia Drayton who appears to be black.

Maybe it could be called "mostlywhitegirlsbutalittleofeverythingelse.com" but that's kind of long.

Anyway.

It's all in the presentation.

Jan 16 07 02:32 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Monica Jay wrote:

why didnt you claim african? iran is close to africa if not actually in africa.

Jan 16 07 02:36 am Link

Model

Jennifer I

Austin, Texas, US

I guess arguing about this is pointless but I'll bite one more time before bedtime smile

To all the people complaining about the title of the site basically saying its for "blacks only" (which it doesn't, but I digress) and excludes whites, do you know how many times a DAY most Black people, let alone Black models and actresses get that? If any of you can just for a second acknowledge that the very country and the system that Blacks and other minorities live and work in daily is overwhelmingly white and caters to white people this wouldn't even be a discussion. But because many of us like to pretend that every races' culture is equally represented in every way in jobs, entertainment, ect. we still have ridiculous discussions like these.

Jan 16 07 02:40 am Link