Forums > General Industry > so why is blackmirages racist ?

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Searcher wrote:

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Alberto already answered you quite eloquently. Something bothers you when blacks have stuff.

No, but thanks for playing the lowbrow responses, you only strengthen my argument.

Those networks are in other languages. They are also based on cultures. "Black" is not a culture, it is a race.

By your logic, it would be perfectly acceptable to start an english-language Yellow Entertainment Television channel for all the asians. That doesn't sound right.

I'm saying it would be fine if it were called African-American Entertainment Television, but the word "black" makes it racist. If you think otherwise... why?

Black Americans have no culture ?
There are many Asian channels available.   if Asians call a channel YET that is their business.
AAET, who the hell will watch AAET ?  AAET sounds like something you get after drinking bad milk.

BET is recognized worldwide as the home of Hip-Hop TV. The people around the world want to see "Black" hip-hop etc. It IS a culture.

so say it with a beat;   BET  BET BET BET ! come on !

Jan 15 07 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Searcher wrote:
I'm saying it would be fine if it were called African-American Entertainment Television, but the word "black" makes it racist. If you think otherwise... why?

Targetting dark skin people is not wrong... calling it African-American would leave left apart, European blacks (because there is not such a thing as African-European), Black Africans, Asian-blacks ... not to say South American and caribbean  (which are funnily considered latinos instead of black american).
LOL.

Jan 15 07 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

You understood what I was suggesting the the first sentence, so why did you bother typing the rest of the irrelevent rant that was your post? 
Sheesh, some people just like to complain.

The guy chose his domain name poorly and it has offended people.  End of story.

On the other hand, perhaps it is what we choose to be offended by that has been ill considered.

Jan 15 07 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
Racism is an innate belief in the superiority of one particular race, or in the inferiority of another. Please understand the words you bandy about.

So... why choose one over another? Why acknowledge it at all?

Jan 15 07 10:34 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Photographers can shoot whatever they want. There are plenty of people who only shoot nudes or fetish or pin-up or children or WHATEVER. I was approached once by a photographer who asked if I was Hispanic. I said no, and he said "Bummer, I'd shoot you, but I only shoot Hispanic girls."

Jan 15 07 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
Honestly I don't think it's fair that you can have Black entertainment television but not white entertainment television.I mean not trying to say I'd even watch it if it did exsist but I just don't understand how it's ok to say black only but it's not ok to say white only.It's still racism.Back in the day African Americans didn't want to have seperate water fountains or bathrooms, yet now they rejoice to have BET.

I believe to single out any race for any reason is being racist.This doesn't really offend me but it is my opinion on the matter.Although after looking over the site I don't find it to be much of a race thing.It seems to be genuinely an art thing.

Well, when BET came into the scene there weren't many blacks on a dominant white controlled networks. So what do you do? You make something that blacks can relate to and see some of their own faces on t.v. So if BET offends, then you should be offended by the fact of the lack of blacks over the decades on t.v. programs which lead to BET. Many black cekebrities can tell you about the racism that exxist in Hollywood for over 100 years.

Btw, Viacon owns BET. And they bees whites.

Photographer

CantikFotos

Searcher wrote:

Human nature?

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

CantikFotos wrote:

He's French and used English and it offended a few Americans.

French: black
English: noir

French: noir
English: black

Funny no???

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Searcher wrote:

Targetting dark skin people is not wrong... calling it African-American would leave left apart, European blacks (because there is not such a thing as African-European), Black Africans, Asian-blacks ... not to say South American and caribbean  (which are funnily considered latinos instead of black american).
LOL.

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Monica Jay wrote:
Photographers can shoot whatever they want. There are plenty of people who only shoot nudes or fetish or pin-up or children or WHATEVER. I was approached once by a photographer who asked if I was Hispanic. I said no, and he said "Bummer, I'd shoot you, but I only shoot Hispanic girls."

You look african to me (from Egypt or Morroco).

Jan 15 07 10:38 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:

On the other hand, perhaps it is what we choose to be offended by that has been ill considered.

That's true, but I don't think it's somethign each individual chooses to be offended by.  It's the way the US works; It's the history here; It's our families; It's the way we were raised.

It is unfair to say "whites need not apply," "blacks need not apply," "asians need not apply," etc.

My point was that he chose the domain name poorly, not that it offended people.  To get off the subject of racism [which I know is impossible here], it's an incorrect label for his work.  He photographs Africans, not "black" people.

Jan 15 07 10:38 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:

You look african to me (from Egypt or Morroco).

Iranian smile

Jan 15 07 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Monica Jay wrote:

Iranian smile

I am just making fun of the whole thing here... no-one would say you look African... when you look North-African. They'd say... North-African.
African would be for someone that looks... OMG black ???? OMG that must be racist.
LMAO.

Jan 15 07 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Dawn Winter wrote:
What next, going to go after every photographer that only has pics of only white, black, asian or hispanic women in their ports???

You guys sure love to reach.

and most of them aren't reaching for nothing but drama that they can save for their mama.

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

The work is so beautiful. smile

Photographer

CantikFotos

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

That's true, but I don't think it's somethign each individual chooses to be offended by.  It's the way the US works; It's the history here; It's our families; It's the way we were raised.

Where does it work differently? What makes the US so special in this regard?

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
It is unfair to say "whites need not apply," "blacks need not apply," "asians need not apply," etc.

You think it's so different anywhere else? LOL

Jan 15 07 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

CUnique wrote:
The work is so beautiful. smile

You must be racist towards black people .... Muahahahahaha LOL LMAO.
;-)
Jeez I love that picture of you and the tap.

Jan 15 07 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Searcher wrote:

Personally, I don't believe one race is superior to any other. We're all human, and I might find more in common with someone of a different race than I do with someone of my same race. We should all examine our place in the world, and our world's places. Including the similarities and differences that make being human interesting.

Jan 15 07 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

The rest of the world does NOT have to deal with our racial labeling paranioa.  The man is French. He sees no problem.   No one black here sees a problem. Any Africans complaining ?

Jan 15 07 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

My point was that he chose the domain name poorly, not that it offended people.  To get off the subject of racism [which I know is impossible here], it's an incorrect label for his work.  He photographs Africans, not "black" people.

Perhaps he wasn't referring to people when he chose the word black as part of his domain name.

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

CantikFotos wrote:
You think it's so different anywhere else? LOL

This requires a whole new thread... HAHAHA

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Wouldn't it be great to go live in a place where race no longer mattered?

https://media.g4tv.com/images/imagedb2/403/40360_L.jpg

tongue

Ok, I'm bored.

Jan 15 07 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

you have not the "only lesbians  need apply" job in the other thread

Jan 15 07 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

What race is the guy in the middle of the top raw... sorry i have no knowledge of American history.... LOL.

Jan 15 07 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Searcher wrote:

tongue

Ok, I'm bored.

and Rocky Balboa is the heavyweight Champion.

Photographer

CantikFotos

Searcher wrote:

I don't see any Vulcans in that photo.

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

What race is the guy in the middle of the top raw... sorry i have no knowledge of American history.... LOL.

I think he's Dutch Canadian with a hint of barley.

Jan 15 07 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

You can hardly fail to notice how the guy with the huge ridged head has been placed at the back while the white men have been placed front and center. Certainly a highly racially charged environment.

Jan 15 07 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:

You can hardly fail to notice how the guy with the huge ridged head has been placed at the back while the white men have been placed front and center. Certainly a highly racially charged environment.

And the girls behind.... maybe two gay guys???? LOL

Jan 15 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

CantikFotos

Trevor Snyder wrote:

He's feeling up Troi.

Jan 15 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

What's up with the super white guy? Oh sorry the super Caucasian guy... that's the correct way to ask.

Jan 15 07 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

And the girls behind.... maybe two gay guys???? LOL

Possibly. Clearly there are overtones of sexism in the image as well, proving that even if we flit about in spaceships, God clearly made a huge mistake when She created the universe. Otherwise, people wouldn't be allowed to think in ways I disagree with.

Jan 15 07 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

What's up with the super white guy? Oh sorry the super Caucasian guy... that's the correct way to ask.

he is German Minnesotan.

Jan 15 07 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

CantikFotos wrote:

He's feeling up Troi.

That is hardly surprising considering the alluring asexual clothing they are all wearing. Leaves little to the imagination.

Jan 15 07 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
It's like saying the NFL is sexist because they don't let women play and they women who are connected to the teams are "forced" into exploitatively revealing clothing.

Please.  It's a football team.  They're cheerleaders.  Don't make an issue where there isn't one...

Searcher wrote:
Well, if you ignore the cheerleaders and note that they only accept male players... yeah, that's sexist.

This is clinically refered to as "nitpicking."

Next you'll be saying that the notion of a "Men's Restroom" is sexist because you need a penis to get in.  You'll say Miss America is sexist because with a penis you're disqualified.  Plus Miss America doesn't allow foreigners... I guess that makes it even worse, eh?

This is the kind of skewed perspect that waters down real issues...

Jan 15 07 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Searcher wrote:
I think, because the existence of its name alone sustains racial divides. What makes African-Americans a people seperate from other people? The labels they apply to themselves.

Damn, what book did you study that out of? You do know that there was a time that blacks didn't have a 'lable'? There was a time that 'racist' slave owners named all of their male slave owners after them. 'George'. Then blacks were graduated from Nigger to Negros, a name or as you state, 'lable' that wasn't given on our own terms. It wasn't until Malcom X who came unto the scene that the word African America was first used. It was years later after his death that African American became the 'new' word that many black indentify with, to this present.

The last thing that I need is a modern day 'overseeor' on the plantation, like you, telling me what is approriate and what I should use simply because you don't like it. That's too damn bad. Hell there was a time that if a black man was caught looking at black women, he'd be hanged. Well while many things have changed, some things still remain the same. It's just that people are more subtle about they feel.

This post actually was for the African Entertainment statement that you had made. But it applies to this one too.

Jan 15 07 10:54 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

you have not the "only lesbians only need apply" job in the other thread

1. You left out a word.
2. I haven't seen the post you're talking about.
3. There's a difference between things like hereditary traits of outward appearance and things like the gender a person "like likes."  I don't like being left out of things because I'm white or thin, but I don't mind being left out of things because I have tattoos or don't shop at Wal Mart.

Jan 15 07 10:57 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Racist, no. What is this world coming to, people are assuming everything has to do with being racists. Maybe, prejudice, but not racists. Sadly enough, we have social stereotypes, and people tend to say, these people, or those people do this, and that.

If someone wants take pictures of only African women, let them do it. It has nothing to do with racism, unless they actually stay, I refuse to take pictures of anyone, unless they are from African decent. I checked out the website, and think it is great.

Jan 15 07 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Legacys 7, what's your point of view on Alain Paris' work?

Jan 15 07 11:02 pm Link

Model

Charonda

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I dont see a problem in having blackmirages for the simple fact that we do live in a world where westernized beauty is considered the standardized beauty. Many minorities have been segregated for so long and taught that they do not measure up the being beautiful in the eyes of the norm until...why is it a problem to have a website reflecting the beauty and pride of your culture, ethnicity or backround? The images were not put together as though it was a minstral show nor did I see any disgraceful or discriminating photos.  What is the issue?

I personally dont choose to use the term race however, black is a term that people are very familiar with. No, no ones skin is black in contrast. For some "black" is demeaning because it is a term which was not originally chosen by those who have African heritage however, for others it is a symbolism of paying homage to the "black" struggle.

Jan 15 07 11:03 pm Link