Forums > General Industry > Biblical teachings vs. Erotic/Glamour Nudes--What?

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I'm going to voluntarily agree not to add anything to this very silly thread.

Dec 19 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

sexy church ladies...in the church hats,
church girls gone bad
choir ladies on the prowl

you have themes you can use.....

Dec 19 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

Ashli Davenport

Winter Park, Florida, US

i am a little confused...what part of your job are you believing to be sinful?
i think you should do what YOU think is right. it is quite possible to be a photographer and be morally right at the same time. if you can go to bed each night and feel like a good man, husband, and follower of God than keep doing what you are doing. if not, decide what is more important to you and go with it.

Dec 19 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

This is bullshit and selfish of the photographer as not recognizing that it takes two to tango.

I've had models' clothing hit the ground faster than the lens cap falling off of my cameras ever did. 

If someone really wants to pose nude, they'll do it faster than gravity.  And it doesn't matter if the model is male or female. 

As I figure it, a wall of hormones hits them.

Dec 19 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

God?

You "made" the model pose nude? 

As I recall, that's called the Sin of Hubris.  Go straight to Hell and don't collect  $200.

You don't control people.  You're a pipsqueak on God's ass.  Hiroshima might just have gotten His attention, and you're not Hiroshima.

As I recall, what you are discussing is something called, "Blasphemy." 

You didn't blow up a city, nor did you even tame a river.  What did you do?  Take a picture?  A PICTURE! 

Baaah.

Dec 19 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
God?

You "made" the model pose nude? 

As I recall, that's called the Sin of Hubris.  Go straight to Hell and don't collect  $200.

You don't control people.  You're a pipsqueak on God's ass.  Hiroshima might just have gotten His attention, and you're not Hiroshima.

As I recall, what you are discussing is something called, "Blasphemy." 

You didn't blow up a city, nor did you even tame a river.  What did you do?  Take a picture?  A PICTURE! 

Baaah.

What the crap are you talking about? Where did he say anything about making anyone do anything? Did you even comprehend his question? How about you read more carefully before you condemn him to hell?

Dec 19 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

Santa Rosa, California, US

I can't believe people are still seriously discussing this.

Dec 19 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I'm scared now. Or sacred. Depending how you type...

Dec 19 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

Aong Vang

Maplewood, Minnesota, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

So you also think he should rip his eye out?  Matthew 5:28 - 5:29
I think we've almost got enough of a quorum to vote. Can we get a show of hands?

OK, now, that person said for us not to take it literally. In the bible, there are things you take literally and there are things you should take metaphorically. It's just that you all have viewd the Bible as something that is not important, or just another book written by old people. sighs*

Why would I stand on a Bible that is changing? it IS inspired and a gift from God. If it were to be a changing book, how would Christianity ever stand? Even if it's translated, as long as you translate it correctly, it'll have the same meaning. So you're saying that if a famous English novel was translated into Chinese, the plot and the meaning of the book would change as well? I think NOT.

xoxo

Dec 20 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Aong Vang wrote:
sighs* the BIble is our guide to life. It IS the BOOK OF LIFE! you can't say for us not to interpret the Bible literally. that's just saying that you only want to do what you want. so, if someone wanted to kill somebody and thought it wasn't a bad thing, then would it NOT be a sin???? The Bible NEVER EVER CHANGES MEANINGS! what Bible are YOU looking at?! GOd is the same today tomorrow and ALWAYS!  that offends me.. sighs*

Just when you think there's no more found comedy...

Andy Kaufmann would be proud.

Dec 20 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Aong Vang wrote:

OK, now, that person said for us not to take it literally. In the bible, there are things you take literally and there are things you should take metaphorically. It's just that you all have viewd the Bible as something that is not important, or just another book written by old people. sighs*

Why would I stand on a Bible that is changing? it IS inspired and a gift from God. If it were to be a changing book, how would Christianity ever stand? Even if it's translated, as long as you translate it correctly, it'll have the same meaning. So you're saying that if a famous English novel was translated into Chinese, the plot and the meaning of the book would change as well? I think NOT.

xoxo

You are aware that when something is written as a metaphor, the work is fiction?  When metaphors and facts are combined, clarity is lost.  Something as important as the words of a God telling people how he wants them to live their lives needs to be clearly written in order for people to understand it.  When things aren't clear, you get religious factions that disagree with the interpretation to such an extent that wars are fought. 

To try and keep this on topic, the OP needs to make his own mind up as to what he wants to do.  There is enough wiggle room in the written words in the bible to support any decision he chooses.

Dec 20 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Hilarious forum thread.

Photographers and models, 99% of whom have really sexualized imagery in their portfolio, arguing about the merits of which body parts are more sexual and should be shot...according to God.

This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

Aren't there people dying in Iraq? Is it really a sin if I see a naked woman and only shoot her breasts as opposed to her external labia?

Which of those questions is a bit more...relevant?

Dec 20 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Jimmy Mayfield

Wake Forest, North Carolina, US

The overwhelming responses and participation in this thread gives me an idea! I'll start my own religion. The Church of the Presumptuous Assumption of the Photographic Light! Once the congregation has been blinded by the Brilliant Flash .... all followers will get nude and give praise to the Almighty Originator of the Image by partaking in the sacrament of wine and cheese.

Dec 20 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Jimmy Mayfield wrote:
The overwhelming responses and participation in this thread gives me an idea! I'll start my own religion. The Church of the Presumptuous Assumption of the Photographic Light! Once the congregation has been blinded by the Brilliant Flash .... all followers will get nude and give praise to the Almighty Originator of the Image by partaking in the sacrament of wine and cheese.

Too many churches already use alcohol.  I think the sacrament should involve cream, chocolate and fruits (think of the ways the sacrament can be embellished).

Dec 20 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Talcroft

Santa Rosa, California, US

I think the sacrament should involve the establishment of sacred times and spaces conducive to spontaneous exchanges of bodily fluids between consenting adults.

Dec 20 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

What's the problem,You are already going to Hell for getting divorced aren't you.

Dec 20 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Aong Vang wrote:
So you're saying that if a famous English novel was translated into Chinese, the plot and the meaning of the book would change as well? I think NOT.
xoxo

Pretty much. Especially when it comes to use of area specific jargon. And ESPECIALLY when it comes to metaphor. The meaning of slang and the hidden double meaning will most likely be lost. i remember reading about some dead language scholar talking about specific word used in the text referring to Mary NOT meaning Virgin as it was interpreted. Now THAT would be some translation faux paux huh!

Dec 20 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Habenero Photography wrote:
You are aware that when something is written as a metaphor, the work is fiction?

This is not true, a Metaphor does not mean that the point or work is fiction

Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them (as in drowning in money)

Dec 20 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Aong Vang wrote:
... In the bible, there are things you take literally and there are things you should take metaphorically. It's just that you all have viewd the Bible as something that is not important, or just another book written by old people. sighs*

xoxo

https://photoworks.ws/images/funny/hahachrist.jpg

Dec 20 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Leo Howard wrote:

This is not true, a Metaphor does not mean that the point or work is fiction

Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them (as in drowning in money)

Metaphors may be a good way to describe things for a while, but think of how difficult your own example would be for someone who tries to interpret it using the contention  that all of statements found in the book that contains your example are literally true.    The claim for its truthfulness is immediately shown to be false by the inclusion of the metaphors.  Thus the work is fiction at best.  Metaphors are great for emphasis, but the moment you use them, you are no longer telling a literal truth.  Thus you open the door for the work to be called fiction.

Dec 20 06 10:59 pm Link