Forums > General Industry > Who here has an awesome website?

Photographer

Noah Clayton

Whitefish, Montana, US

Becker,
I think your site is great... it does seem to take a bit to load... but the image quality definitely keeps me entertained while I wait... nice site

my website is flash based and I have zero problems www.noahclaytonphoto.com

Jan 04 07 02:57 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

My site is the result of too many hours in Photoshop and BB Edit.
I still write raw HTML code, and I enjoy keeping close to my roots that way.

http://www.hungryeye.com

Some very nice work out there, and some very good points on the functionality of web design in context with the target audiences.
I have never seen the point of a site that moves when the product does not.
That said, I do have a weakness for .gifs...

Flash is a wonderful tool when properly used, and in an environment where the dynamic compliments the subject matter.
Two downsides are poor search engine atrraction and slow load times. We in the first world sometimes forget that most of the world is still on dial-up. If your market is global you want to optimise for quick load. The average surfer will not wait longer than 17 seconds to see something good. If you aren't dazzling them in that time, they're gone.

Jan 04 07 03:26 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

what's in the private section?

smile

Jan 04 07 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Noah Clayton wrote:
Becker,
I think your site is great... it does seem to take a bit to load... but the image quality definitely keeps me entertained while I wait... nice site

my website is flash based and I have zero problems www.noahclaytonphoto.com

Zero problems that you hear about.

Flash is a major impediment for the Mac and Linux users, especially when it crashes browsers, has security issues and is rarely available in its latest form immediately.

And if you say the Net doesn't have many Mac and Linux users...you would be wrong.

Flash is rarely used well, and often is just for some lame-ass effect that gets old after twice. And typically you can't even bookmark with it, since people overuse the whole "my flash site is one big thing".

Ugh. Used mostly by tards who feel that HTML is too hard.

Jan 04 07 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

HungryEye wrote:
global you want to optimise for quick load. The average surfer will not wait longer than 17 seconds to see something good. If you aren't dazzling them in that time, they're gone.

17 seconds, are you insane? 4 seconds tops, and that's from internal testing at a 50 thousand person company I worked at.

Jan 04 07 11:50 am Link

Model

Schwarz

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Brendan Barry wrote:

Zero problems that you hear about.

Flash is a major impediment for the Mac and Linux users, especially when it crashes browsers, has security issues and is rarely available in its latest form immediately.

And if you say the Net doesn't have many Mac and Linux users...you would be wrong.

Flash is rarely used well, and often is just for some lame-ass effect that gets old after twice. And typically you can't even bookmark with it, since people overuse the whole "my flash site is one big thing".

Ugh. Used mostly by tards who feel that HTML is too hard.

Webdesigners use flash because it can do a ton more than HTML will ever be able to.   I am curious as to which browser you are using that crashes with flash. What are the specs on your mac? In my opinion, HTML is a lot easier than Flash (for the average person, this is what Ive found from tutoring/teaching both)

Jan 05 07 07:02 pm Link