Forums > General Industry > Who here has an awesome website?

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:

Under the covers??? I guess I am one of the few who doesn't even know what this means.

www.jaysonpolansky.com

try it, where your browser says view click, then where is says source, click that, you'll see the source code of the page you're on..

Dec 18 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i haven't been good in bed since i was

Dec 18 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

I was surprised at several of these photography sites.

Some of the flash sites had a blank screen for 10 or more seconds waiting for the introduction to load.

Photography sites and blank screens (for any length of time) don’t make any sense to me.

I do have a DSL connection.

The other thing that surprised me, when going to a photography site, was not seeing any images right off the bat.

Not that I am the target audience for these sites but I would like to see a page full of photographs (or even a single photograph) immediately.

I do like how flash can make an amazing presentation and introduction to a site.

More often that not, I click the ENTER with out Flash button. Some flash sites don’t even have the bypass button so my next click would be the BACK button on my browser.

Just something to think about, or not

Dec 18 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

My New Years Resolution is to redo my website and put all the nifty images up that I don't have up there... including my commercial work, products and tear sheets... yup... not one single tear on my website.

I want to keep the overall scheme, changing the background a little bit and putting the new images and galleries up.

It could be technically a better website, but the simplicity has it's advantage.

Dec 18 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
I think this guy's website is incredible!

http://www.photographersportfolio.com

Stephen Eastwood Photography

It blows that Eccentris site away.

agreeeeeeeed!

Dec 18 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Erwyn L

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

as much as I'd like to put in a plug for myself, i won't. that lacks class... but here is what I like and look for in a good site.

-NO MUSIC
-I don't want to press enter to enter... just skip that page and get me in.
-don't make me look for a place to click. make it obvious.
-when I'm in a rush, I don't want to look at your silly video first. skip the intro with all the graphics. Unless you design sites, nobody cares.... at least not me.

At the same time, thanks for posting this thread... there are some good sites out there.

Dec 18 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

UdoR wrote:
My New Years Resolution is to redo my website and put all the nifty images up that I don't have up there... including my commercial work, products and tear sheets... yup... not one single tear on my website.

I want to keep the overall scheme, changing the background a little bit and putting the new images and galleries up.

It could be technically a better website, but the simplicity has it's advantage.

I do like the terms and conditions right up front on your site.

Not that it will stop some but it will make others think before borrowing our images.

Does this method work? Other than using those programs that keep you from right clicking on your images, what other recourse do we have to protect images?

I am going back through my images to make sure they at least have the copyright on them.

Dec 18 06 12:23 pm Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

Dec 18 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Most of these websites leave me feeling pummeled, exhausted, nauseous, and irritated. It's like driving in Los Angeles traffic jams. There is a tendency for photographers, graphic artists, and website designers to spend too much time looking at all the other latest trendy sites and then trying to replicate them with cut & paste technique ideas.

Often all this "advertising" is verbose coding hock, with little spit for substance.

Websites become a genre in and of themselves, and they can devolve and distract from who we are ourselves as individuals trying to present our own works.

Seems to me that we often loose sight of the main objective, which is to get to the point --> either to present and close the sale of our products, our information, or ourselves.

Worse and more distracting are those uber slick websites that are "under construction" or "ready soon" ... etc., or that take us nowhere with aimless clicks, then fall apart with bugs that haven't been solved yet.

My main Pbase galleries have 7 million hits in a short period of time. To me, this is important substance of exposure. I'm running about 20,000-50,000 hits a day now and fans are sending me emails from all over the world. I tie in with dpreview and other high volume websites that draw the kind of exposure I want for what I'm doing.

To me, this means I'm creating markets and channels of distribution to potential customers who know me and might want to buy whatever I want to present for sale. I've always been an adamant proponent of working from the market backwards to the product and not the other way around. Even better is to create our own markets.

The principals of communication arts, marketing, advertising, and sales is pretty fundamental, and it does not change with the latest version of Flash, etc.

Now, for what it's worth, let me present one link to some guys who I think are doing a thoughtful job going in the right direction of defining their product, positioning, ad copy, presentation, etc.

about - http://www.solomodels.com/about/index.cfm
home page - http://www.solomodels.com/index.cfm
sample of members website - http://justdanella.com/portfolio

Of course lots of things can be added or subtracted to personal tastes, but I think the feeling of simplicity is closer to my point.

As additional food for thought, take a look at the way Danella's pdf files come down from the link under "contact"

Dec 18 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I don't know if it's "AWESOME" but it's certyainly different..... you sure as well see any flash templates in my website!!

www.jonroberts.co.uk

Dec 18 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

www.Legacys-Photo.com. Still underconstruction. I'm just waitng for this semester to end to get back on it and my photography.

Dec 18 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I do like the terms and conditions right up front on your site.

Not that it will stop some but it will make others think before borrowing our images.

Does this method work? Other than using those programs that keep you from right clicking on your images, what other recourse do we have to protect images?

I am going back through my images to make sure they at least have the copyright on them.

The clear gif method seems to be working pretty well the way I implemented it on http://www.raveneyes.com in the fashion section.

I'm moving to hosting the images via php soon so that the only way they will display is by reference to the page number.

Dec 18 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Because I went to have my site designed by professionals I feel that I have a handsome and very easy to navigate web page. I have a blog that is an integral part of it. I have sold quite a few of my photographs from the blog as search engines are able to "read" blogs more easily than a web page.

My web page came after about a year of having been on MM and OMP where I looked at many web sites and I studied how people looked at pictures. The constant fights in the forums made me decide to have a one sided blog that serves we well. Those who want to comment on the blog must do so through the web page.

One thing I wanted to avoid was the websites  that have that look of knowing you will be asked for a credit card.

A final request I made with the guys who designed my page was that I wanted to incorporate my 27-year old business card and letterhead design. This they did.
Alexwh

www.alexwaterhousehayward.com

The blog can be accessed through the web page or at:

http://alexwaterhousehayward.com/blog/blog.html

Dec 18 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

PerceptionZ Studio

Havana, Arkansas, US

[ b  wrote:
e c k e r] 
I am looking to update my website for my personal work and I want to see where the bar has been set for fashion/glamour photography websites (i don't care so much about the work). I currently have a bludomain template, and I think it's fine for the money, but I want something more. Do you have, or know anyone who has a bitchin' website? (i bet it's been a while since you read the word bitchin' eh?)

of course http://www.eccentris.com/splash.htm is about my favorite website of all time, but i contacted the designer (company name firstborn and that's apparently what they charge for a website) they charge $75,000 minimum and i am saving for a new Range Rover so that's out. anyone else have a link or suggestion that they want to share?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

[ b ]

www.thebecker.net

I think yours is much better than the one for $75K... For a photography portfolio, that's a bit excessive in my humble opinion...

Dec 18 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

alexwh wrote:
www.alexwaterhousehayward.com

It's refreshing to see photography that is more powerful than the website that holds it for us to view.

Dec 18 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

StudioSeventeen

Laguna Beach, California, US

the BEST affordable for MODELS or Photographers

www.SoloModels.com

and its only $5 per month

It doesn't get any better

Dec 18 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

www.huynhphotography.com

I see things in black and white and shades of grey in between.

Dec 18 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

StudioSeventeen wrote:
the BEST affordable for MODELS or Photographers

www.SoloModels.com

and its only $5 per month

It doesn't get any better

:-)

Dec 18 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Huynh Photography wrote:
www.huynhphotography.com

I see things in black and white and shades of grey in between.

i liked your website.  some of it was confusing.  then again i've been drinking since noon.

Dec 18 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

what other recourse do we have to protect images?

Ok... finally implemented a new method of image protection while waiting for some technical assistance...

Check out http://www.raveneyes.com/fashion.php and let me know if anyone can download the images from that page...

(not the background... I mean the portfolio images)...

Dec 18 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

[ b  wrote:
e c k e r] 
I am looking to update my website for my personal work and I want to see where the bar has been set for fashion/glamour photography websites (i don't care so much about the work). I currently have a bludomain template, and I think it's fine for the money, but I want something more. Do you have, or know anyone who has a bitchin' website? (i bet it's been a while since you read the word bitchin' eh?)

of course http://www.eccentris.com/splash.htm is about my favorite website of all time, but i contacted the designer (company name firstborn and that's apparently what they charge for a website) they charge $75,000 minimum and i am saving for a new Range Rover so that's out. anyone else have a link or suggestion that they want to share?

[ b ]

www.thebecker.net

I hope to see some sick (very impressive) sitework to check out!

KJ - Central Illinois
www.kathays.com

Dec 18 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

[ b  wrote:
e c k e r] 

[ b ]

www.thebecker.net

I just wanted to give my opinion (quickly) on the Eccentris website. Personally, I really hate it. I don't like waiting for a website to load or to watch a flash movie play with no way to skip over it. I got bored and clicked "back" before I really saw anything. Now, I would say it looks good visually, but it lacks functionality in the sense that its just overdone. A website should grab the attention of the visitor and encourage them to stay. The Eccentris site doesn't do this -- I think they turn away more people than entice them. So, from a design standpoint I'd suggest you avoid this type of site.

My own website is in need of a major overhaul as well; its become far too large and I want to move to a more business/commercial site. My current one is a bit of a personal site, a big-ass photography site (which hasn't been updated in a very long time), and a bit of a commerce site with broken PayPal links. The trick, I think, to a good website is having it look very good visually but at the same time keep it very simple and easy to navigate. It also needs to load fast on dial up, which of course does present certain challenges for a photo site loaded with graphics. But everyone that is turned away is a lost potential customer.

Just my 3 1/2 cents worth...

-P-

Dec 18 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

http://www.eccentris.com/

GAH!  that site should go on superbad.com

I had to pay so much attention to the navigation system that i couldn't even really notice the photography.

Dec 18 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

trish

for a self taught amazon nekkid model chick, i think i did a pretty good job designing my little portfolio site.  it's very simple (no flash), but to the point, easy to navigate and aesthetically pleasing *the narcissist rears her ugly head* smile

anyhow, it's nothing fancy, but it makes me proud.....

i present..... www.trishytrashy.com

also, check out kelly lind & alex laMarsh's site www.erotiquedigitale.com for an amazing erotic pay site.

Dec 18 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

took me a month to make mine, super simple

www.karlaticas.com

Dec 24 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

LITHIUM_PICNIC wrote:
i'm redoing my site:

www.lithiumpicnic.com

it's going to be a sledgehammer smile

I've always enjoyed Phil's as well, cant wait for the new one.

Im currently redoing X-pose.net (my site) for like the 6th time this year, but if you want to check it out before the redux, go for it.

http://www.x-pose.net

Jeff

Dec 24 06 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

I just got it up a short while ago, but am already preparing for the redo. Please let me know if you like it, plus please tell me any little tricks to draw in more people.

www.conceptuallyblack.com

Dec 25 06 11:53 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Brewer35MM wrote:
I have one, www.brewer35mm.com.
For under $10 a mounth it's not all that bad.
you get your own dot com.
the server It is on is www.imodels.com

Right on, Brewer!  Merry Christmas!

Fellow iModeler (#1643), Kathy Jean

KATHY JEAN www.kathays.com
Since August 10, 2003 Illinois US

Dec 25 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Dec 25 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
http://www.internetmodelclub.com and the bar has just been raised.

If you want to "join" then contact me.  The forum and chatroom will rock you!

[ b  wrote:
e c k e r] 
no patrick, i meant an actual "good" website, with nice design and programming. but thanks for trying to hijack my thread by plugging your lame ass site. the photos are a little pixelated and... nevermind, i don't have time to comment on that crap.

anyone else have any decent websites they'd like to show? (i promise i won't respond meanly unless you deserve it like this guy did).

[ b ]

Mr, Becker, Your website is not complete as evidenced from trying to navigate it. The music is annoying, and the solid black is old.  Enough Flash on there to make it down load slow ... even on DSL or Cable.

Sorry, if I misunderstood you.  Is it only photographers sites that you are interested in? Because mine is a models networking website.  So the pictures in the row of most recent models to "add" their profiles is not necessarily my photography work.  That rotates just as OMP does.  The GIF file images are a bit pixelated because after he had created it, I asked the webmaster to enlarge them slightly to make the images size larger than those model pictures above. I will be giving him a while different set of images that are the proper size for making the GIF file.  It's a work in progress!   

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Patrick
http://www.internetmodelclub.com

Dec 25 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

SayCheeZ! wrote:

He does!
(you're using it!)

You're right!  www.modelmayhem.com is an awesome website!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hew Year!

Patrick

Dec 25 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Patrick Walberg wrote:
http://www.internetmodelclub.com and the bar has just been raised.

If you want to "join" then contact me.  The forum and chatroom will rock you!

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:
What a load of crap he meant real photographers there is no bar with your crap

Why thank you for your kind criticism. But you didn't notice that a few of the models are posting your work on the site?  wink

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Patrick

Dec 25 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Jack North wrote:
not me...

http://www.jacknorth.com

Jack, I like your website.  A website needs to download quickly to keep my attention.  Yours does!  You are not far from me either. 

Happy New Year!
Patrick

Dec 27 06 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

I was surprised at several of these photography sites.

Some of the flash sites had a blank screen for 10 or more seconds waiting for the introduction to load.

Photography sites and blank screens (for any length of time) don’t make any sense to me.

I do have a DSL connection.

The other thing that surprised me, when going to a photography site, was not seeing any images right off the bat.

Not that I am the target audience for these sites but I would like to see a page full of photographs (or even a single photograph) immediately.

I do like how flash can make an amazing presentation and introduction to a site.

More often that not, I click the ENTER with out Flash button. Some flash sites don’t even have the bypass button so my next click would be the BACK button on my browser.

Just something to think about, or not

I agree with you!  Photographer or model sites should have pictures pop up quickly.

Dec 27 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Bryanna Nicole wrote:
I think the new one I made for Bry is pretty good..

http://www.officialbryannanicole.com

And sure.. eccentris is a sweet site..  but $75k for a web presence?  Working in that field (web), even I find that a little ridiculous - but judging from his clients.. looks like he has money to burn..

Have a great day!
Tracy

way too long to load for me!

*edit*

Click's comments are on target. Lots of these sites are too noisy, too much flash, take too long to load, poor navigation .....

Dec 27 06 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

The OP has a flash website as his favorite? Wow, what a travesty.

Flash is just that...flashy without much substance. Also leaves visitors on Linux and Mac a version behind. It's a security hole....has no real accessibility features...Crashes browsers...

If you're not skilled enough to work in CSS and HTML, then hire someone who is.

Dec 27 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Brendan Barry wrote:
The OP has a flash website as his favorite? Wow, what a travesty.

Flash is just that...flashy without much substance. Also leaves visitors on Linux and Mac a version behind. It's a security hole....has no real accessibility features...Crashes browsers...

If you're not skilled enough to work in CSS and HTML, then hire someone who is.

really, you don't like flash? all my clients love it (www.thebecker.com). i am a mac guy and have never had a problem with browsers crashing or anything like that. for my wedding site above, i did hire a great progammer and i am stoked on the job he did (so are my clients that book me for 5 figures over the phone).

my personal site, www.thebecker.net, is just a flash template from bludomain, and for what i paid, i think it's decent. my new site, which will be launched at the same url will be up in just another day or two. it's also a flash template, and from what' i've seen so far, i am stoked on it.

i know the site i listed as my favorite is a bit confusing to navigate, but i like it because it's different and the images are insane!

happy new year!

[ b ]

Jan 02 07 02:43 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i paid for an awesome website once, but  it was never delivered, thems the breaks.

Jan 02 07 02:47 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

[ b  wrote:
e c k e r] 

really, you don't like flash?
[ b ]

i HATE flash websites as well.  i have no patience for that crap to load.

smile

please keep it easy, clean and presentable.

Jan 02 07 02:49 am Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

afterdarc studios wrote:

i HATE flash websites as well.  i have no patience for that crap to load.

smile

please keep it easy, clean and presentable.

my site launched today. it's flash, but it loads fast, and it is easy, clean and presentable!

it may be a tad slow today as i have posted it on many forums to get feedback and the traffic is going through the roof.

take care,

[ b ]

Jan 04 07 01:30 am Link