Forums > General Industry > Why doesn't anyone want to shoot with me?

Model

MarkusRichmondModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Miranduuuhh wrote:
Why dont you get a job?

Best advice in this entire thread!!

Dec 19 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
This again??
learn to hustle...
How to get paid

Diversification in networking: Don't only rely only on MM there is OMP, Craig's list, Fineartguild.com, communityzoe.com, & local networking parties and events, yahoo groups, myspace, tribe, workshops, night clubs, and other avenues to get your name out in several markets not just one. Remember networking is key, a lot of artists and photographer share names of models they have worked with. Do one workshop with 5 photographers and that is 5 potential photographers who may have a job for you in the future. Don’t forget the photographer who is teaching the class as well. And better yet each of those photographers may know someone else who is looking for a person to play a bit part in the new movie they are having trouble casting, or they need a model for a local promotional event they are hosting. Or attend one group shooting event show up and you may get jobs in the future, I know one photographer who did not hire me at one particular event he met me at instead I was hired for a separate project altogether.

Diversification in jobs: What genre do you want to work in? The real question is how many genre’s CAN you work in? Art & figure modeling, runway, fashion, glamour, fetish, commercial, now think outside of the box, Not all art is pretty and glamorous. I played a dead girl in a bath tub once. Another time I posed as “broken”. There are many artists who need models not just photographers, sculptors need models, as do painters, and art teachers and art students, some artists need models for body castings. Some models also work with promotions passing out samples and information, or wearing new outfits by local designers to clubs, bit movie parts, and the good old fun job of go-go dancing.

Contacts: Make your self easy to find!!! Every photographer and artist has a different venue they go to find models some you meet on the street, some you meet in galleries some you meet at book signings. Always have your business card or comp card at all times I recommend a web site with email. Easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember. Have your cell number usable at all times or get a modeling cell only if you are worried about privacy. If a photographer thinks of you for a project you need to make sure he/she can FIND YOU and contact you in 2 minutes or less. I know a lot of photographers who lament about the model they though of and don’t have any info on. They can’t recall the OMP number or the last name…

Replies: Now you have photographers and artists contacting you. Reply back to them even if you do not want to work with that job. A simple “no thank you I’m booked that day” or “I do not think that job is right for me but please keep me in mind for other jobs you may have in the future”. Will do just that, it will keep you out of the little black books everyone professes to have. After each job send a little thank you email letting them know you appreciate the fact that they hired you and picked you for the job. This goes for studio managers as well as photographers. Sometimes just a “it was great to meet you” is all that is needed to get you on a mental list of models to work with.

Payment: Oh right you are doing all of this to get paid. Payment comes in many many ways here is a fun little list I have been keeping up to date in all the crazy ways I have been paid for my work.
Cash
Prints
Room & Board
Plane Tickets
Movie Tickets
Hair cuts, color, styles,
Ramen, Sushi, Wine, Fresh Lemons
Fresh catnip
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free Drinks
Free Books
CD’s, & DVD’s
Free trips & vacations
Spankings (That was special don’t get any ideas)
Tattoos & Piercings
Rum Soaked Truffles
Photography lessons
CS2 lessons
Full commercial rights to several images I have helped create.

All the wonderful beautiful new places I have traveled to and seen.
All the wonderful beautiful people I have met and learned from.
The chance to be immortalized in art.

Dec 19 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

MarkusRichmondModel

Miranduuuhh wrote:
Why dont you get a job?

Oops, double post

Dec 19 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

MarkusRichmondModel

Miranduuuhh wrote:
Why dont you get a job?

Best advice in this entire thread!!

Dec 19 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
This again??
learn to hustle...
How to get paid

Diversification in networking: Don't only rely only on MM there is OMP, Craig's list, Fineartguild.com, communityzoe.com, & local networking parties and events, yahoo groups, myspace, tribe, workshops, night clubs, and other avenues to get your name out in several markets not just one. Remember networking is key, a lot of artists and photographer share names of models they have worked with. Do one workshop with 5 photographers and that is 5 potential photographers who may have a job for you in the future. Don’t forget the photographer who is teaching the class as well. And better yet each of those photographers may know someone else who is looking for a person to play a bit part in the new movie they are having trouble casting, or they need a model for a local promotional event they are hosting. Or attend one group shooting event show up and you may get jobs in the future, I know one photographer who did not hire me at one particular event he met me at instead I was hired for a separate project altogether.

Diversification in jobs: What genre do you want to work in? The real question is how many genre’s CAN you work in? Art & figure modeling, runway, fashion, glamour, fetish, commercial, now think outside of the box, Not all art is pretty and glamorous. I played a dead girl in a bath tub once. Another time I posed as “broken”. There are many artists who need models not just photographers, sculptors need models, as do painters, and art teachers and art students, some artists need models for body castings. Some models also work with promotions passing out samples and information, or wearing new outfits by local designers to clubs, bit movie parts, and the good old fun job of go-go dancing.

Contacts: Make your self easy to find!!! Every photographer and artist has a different venue they go to find models some you meet on the street, some you meet in galleries some you meet at book signings. Always have your business card or comp card at all times I recommend a web site with email. Easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember. Have your cell number usable at all times or get a modeling cell only if you are worried about privacy. If a photographer thinks of you for a project you need to make sure he/she can FIND YOU and contact you in 2 minutes or less. I know a lot of photographers who lament about the model they though of and don’t have any info on. They can’t recall the OMP number or the last name…

Replies: Now you have photographers and artists contacting you. Reply back to them even if you do not want to work with that job. A simple “no thank you I’m booked that day” or “I do not think that job is right for me but please keep me in mind for other jobs you may have in the future”. Will do just that, it will keep you out of the little black books everyone professes to have. After each job send a little thank you email letting them know you appreciate the fact that they hired you and picked you for the job. This goes for studio managers as well as photographers. Sometimes just a “it was great to meet you” is all that is needed to get you on a mental list of models to work with.

Payment: Oh right you are doing all of this to get paid. Payment comes in many many ways here is a fun little list I have been keeping up to date in all the crazy ways I have been paid for my work.
Cash
Prints
Room & Board
Plane Tickets
Movie Tickets
Fresh catnip
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free Drinks
Free Books
CD’s, & DVD’s
Free trips & vacations
Tattoos & Piercings
Rum Soaked Truffles
Photography lessons
CS2 lessons

Awesome response.
I want to hire you, lets see
Sushi is cool smile

Dec 19 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Mike Walker wrote:

How many are short and keep their clothes on and make that kind of money for photographic modeling?

And to the OP... if it makes you feel any better few people ever answer my casting calls either! I get who i get from directly contacting them. Usually several times. And I'm not even asking them to pay me. LOL!

Got to agree Mike.  My casting calls go unanswered and I offer paid work.

I like this OP's look but if she does not do nude work then there is no money from me to her.  I need nude for my job offers.  Not taking ones clothes off it ok but I am not going to hire somedody who keeps her clothes on. bs

Dec 19 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
This again??
learn to hustle...
How to get paid

Cash
Prints
Room & Board
Plane Tickets
Movie Tickets
Fresh catnip
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free Drinks
Free Books
CD’s, & DVD’s
Free trips & vacations
Tattoos & Piercings
Rum Soaked Truffles
Photography lessons
CS2 lessons

WOW!  You wrote an excellent response.  I would be happy to shoot with you!  We can negotiate whatever it is that you happen to be needing right now.  Truth be told, location and communication are the key.  I have openings to shoot before the end of this month.  It's the one who puts the most effort into getting the shoot to happen who will get the best results.

Dec 19 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Brandy wrote:

Gee, I guess I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposedly missing out on...??

Lol...ditto...but good job making yourself sound like a loon, Dobias. That's a really good reason to ban people from photo shoots. And really classy of you to attempt to rub it in someone's face for absolutely no reason.

Dec 19 06 10:26 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don't take this the wrong way but it may have to do with location AND the fact that you have to work on your facial expression more. Practice as much as you can infront of a mirror.

You can also do what I do, have a friend drive you. You shouldn't go to shoots alone anyway.

Happy Holidays

Rose

Dec 19 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rose Noir wrote:
You can also do what I do, have a friend drive you. You shouldn't go to shoots alone anyway.

Rose

Are you kidding me with this response? I must go find the nearest door so I can slam my head in it a few times... I'm so tired of hearing bullshit responses like this.

Dec 19 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

There is also Yolo Bus and BART. $1.50 one way versus 20-30 bucks for gas for your own car....

Dec 19 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brandy wrote:

Are you kidding me with this response? I must go find the nearest door so I can slam my head in it a few times... I'm so tired of hearing bullshit responses like this.

El Oh El.

Dec 19 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ransom J wrote:
El Oh El.

This is why I love Brandy. This is why I've shot with Brandy more than any other single model. This is also why Brandy is usually one of the first models who I offer my paying gigs too.

Dec 20 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

matt h

Oakland, California, US

Primal Lens wrote:
There is also Yolo Bus and BART. $1.50 one way versus 20-30 bucks for gas for your own car....

Thank you! My studio is an easy pick up from BART...a much better option for models who show up in gas guzzler SUVs and then complain about gas $$.

Dec 20 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Soliciting photographers to pay you might be the first thing you're doing wrong.

Dec 20 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

The models I know who earn a living modeling have to hustle to get gigs, so they do.  They're nice but persistent in sending out emails.  It's their business, so they're organized.  They keep track of their paying customers, they stay in touch, they email when they're traveling to my location (i.e., they don't just rely on OMP emails or MM casting calls), they're constantly on the move from city to city, going where the paid shoots are, etc., etc.  Oh, and they are OK with at least artistic nudes (and they're still nice girls).  Not every model has the interest and the energy to live that life.

Dec 20 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Real Las Vegas Glamour

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Basically all of your facial expressions look the same. The one with the black guy does not compliment you at all. Go to a better market. Look at the competition on MM look, there is a lot of hot sexy models, your not that type. Network with ones that are your type and see what they do. Go to an agency but don't pay them. Most legit agencies take a percentage of the jobs they get you. I get a lot of models convention work here in Vegas and they give me a percentage for marketing them and getting them the gig. It's really not that difficult, your just looking in the wrong places.

Dec 20 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Brittney Denea wrote:
Okay, so, there are a few.  But I need to get paid so I can keep my car if I want to keep modeling.  Everyone needs to be able to get to their shoot.  Yet, the past few times that I've put up casting calls, asking to get paid or not, I've gotten 2 answers.  So what have I done wrong.  Should I change out the pictures in my port.  Just delete some (if so which ones), or am I just not that good.  Do you not see any potential for whatyou are looking for?  Or is it just that I'm in the wrong area, because I am willing to drive to Sac. and the Bay Area.  Anyway, help me understand?  Even if it's sure to hurt my feelings, I just wanna know.  Thanks for you time, and responses.

I guess it's not a problem with you. Not everything can be done by the web. Start hitting the rode and look for model agencies. I believe you are a very beautiful girl with high expectations to succed. Don't get down babe. It's always a good idea to have a second part-time job. At least you will have a secure money every month to pay your car. Best wishes. ANTONIO

Dec 20 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is pretty good entertainment.

Dec 20 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

I think the OP is new at this... so don't need to get into a mob and stone her to death.  Too much hostility in the web these days... where is the love?

O Lord, kumbaya!

Dec 20 06 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

u should come to sacramento sometimes in January, and I will give you a free shoot. You can then tell these people if I was a nice guy or not.

Dec 20 06 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

arno wrote:
Thank you! My studio is an easy pick up from BART...a much better option for models who show up in gas guzzler SUVs and then complain about gas $$.

I am so tired of hearing

" I won`t ever be caught dead on public transit. It`s nasty and there are all kinds of freaks on those busses"

Dec 20 06 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Iona Lynn wrote:

I read this post twice and i`m not even a model,lol.I always find myself cheering you on whenever I see your posts like this. and had I remembered you liked sushi you could have had that the last time instead of that other place,lol.

Dec 20 06 05:06 am Link