Forums > General Industry > Why doesn't anyone want to shoot with me?

Model

Brittney Denea

Oceanside, California, US

Okay, so, there are a few.  But I need to get paid so I can keep my car if I want to keep modeling.  Everyone needs to be able to get to their shoot.  Yet, the past few times that I've put up casting calls, asking to get paid or not, I've gotten 2 answers.  So what have I done wrong.  Should I change out the pictures in my port.  Just delete some (if so which ones), or am I just not that good.  Do you not see any potential for whatyou are looking for?  Or is it just that I'm in the wrong area, because I am willing to drive to Sac. and the Bay Area.  Anyway, help me understand?  Even if it's sure to hurt my feelings, I just wanna know.  Thanks for you time, and responses.

Dec 15 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
Okay, so, there are a few.  But I need to get paid so I can keep my car if I want to keep modeling.  Everyone needs to be able to get to their shoot.  Yet, the past few times that I've put up casting calls, asking to get paid or not, I've gotten 2 answers.  So what have I done wrong.  Should I change out the pictures in my port.  Just delete some (if so which ones), or am I just not that good.  Do you not see any potential for whatyou are looking for?  Or is it just that I'm in the wrong area, because I am willing to drive to Sac. and the Bay Area.  Anyway, help me understand?  Even if it's sure to hurt my feelings, I just wanna know.  Thanks for you time, and responses.

I think it's your location.....I know a few models in the area and they do not do a lot of shoots...they get more work in la and sf. I think your portfolio is fine....I mean it can keep growing but so can all of ours. I would shoot with you if we were closer.....so I would say your lack of shoots comes from lack of people in the area

Dec 15 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

Miranda Cole

Monterey, California, US

Why dont you get a job?

Dec 15 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Geez there is a lot of whining on forums lately.

But to answer your question:

"I really want to do high fashion, advertisement, catalog, art, and hair modeling. I will work for prints, CD images or $$."

You're 5'6" so give up on High Fashion.  Especially PAYING high fashion.

Catalog and commercial work is POSSIBLE.  But THIS isn't the place to get it.  At least not enough to be trying to "pay your car note".  Hit up agencies in your area for local work or move to ATL or LA  or Chicago as they all have decent Commercial markets.

You're a short model looking for paying work of enough abundance to pay bills with on an online modeling site.  Unless you plan on getting naked your goals don't match your efforts.

Dec 15 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

F-Stop Images

Clarksville, Arkansas, US

Like real estate, it's all about location. I'm sure if you were in the L.A. area, your fortunes may change. However, it is more of a competitive market, but there's also more photographers as well.

Dec 15 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

Called get wit an agency...

Dec 15 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

I want to shoot with you, but I haven't been to the Bay Area in five years and have no idea when I'll be back. Most of my California time is in LA.

The only thing I see wrong is your location. There's plenty of photographers in your area but I doubt you'll find much paying work.

Dec 15 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

after reading about the ''banana girl'' im afriad i just cant care about this sort of question anymore

if you get it go do it
if not get a job

generaly speaking I would say post availablity on the casting calls
& if no wants you go somewhere else
dont whine on here
we are here for fun networking and education
arrrghhhhhhhhhhh!

Dec 15 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ransom J wrote:

"I really want to do high fashion, advertisement, catalog, art, and hair modeling. I will work for prints, CD images or $$."

Catalog and commercial work is POSSIBLE.  But THIS isn't the place to get it.  At least not enough to be trying to "pay your car note".  Hit up agencies in your area for local work or move to ATL or LA  or Chicago as they all have decent Commercial markets.

You're a short model looking for paying work of enough abundance to pay bills with on an online modeling site.  Unless you plan on getting naked your goals don't match your efforts.

This is the truth.

Buy it.

You'll sleep better.

Dec 15 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

What you suffer from is clinically diagnosed as "barking up the wrong tree."

Why are you looking for work on a dating site (I call 'em like I see 'em) like ModelMayhem: the land of TFP?  Even if you were barking up the right tree, the likelihood that you'll be able to pay a car note on the money you earn modelling is not particularly high.

People always say not to quit your day job.  Go out and get one that you can notquit...

Dec 15 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

I know plenty of models who make a living doing shoots and assignments....lots of them from this site

Dec 15 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thomas B wrote:
I know plenty of models who make a living doing shoots and assignments....lots of them from this site

5'6" High fashion and catalog models?

Dec 15 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Why not contact photographers directly so you can get better pictures in your port so you can get signed with an agency so you can pay your car payment so you can do more modeling so you can pay the people on MM who have given you free advice?

Well....? big_smile

Dec 15 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Maybe it's time for a real job... hate to be mean about it but making me money in this industry is tough, at your height it's harder and with your unwillingness to shoot nude... there is a very very very slim chance you'll actually make money.

I'd say if you are old enough to purchase a car and have a car payment then you should be responsible enough to find a day job to pay for it. I know.. it sucks to have to grow up but eventually it has to happen.

Dec 15 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Ransom J wrote:

No...I agree...she can give up on the paying high fashion....but there are plenty of other styles (non nude) that she could do...shes just in the wrong area to get steady work. Here Vegas models work as much as they want...doing shoots, advertising, tradeshows/convnetions. so it can be done....but there as to be a market. But no on the high fashion....I should of mentioned that

Dec 15 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brandy wrote:
Maybe it's time for a real job... hate to be mean about it but making me money in this industry is tough, at your height it's harder and with your unwillingness to shoot nude... there is a very very very slim chance you'll actually make money.

I'd say if you are old enough to purchase a car and have a car payment then you should be responsible enough to find a day job to pay for it. I know.. it sucks to have to grow up but eventually it has to happen.

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/lomis/applause9ce10xt.gif

Dec 15 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thomas B wrote:
No...I agree...she can give up on the paying high fashion....but there are plenty of other styles (non nude) that she could do...shes just in the wrong area to get steady work. Here Vegas models work as much as they want...doing shoots, advertising, tradeshows/convnetions. so it can be done....but there as to be a market. But no on the high fashion....I should of mentioned that

In Vegas, yes.  On MM, no.  And she's looking on MM.  Not a lot of "high fashion, advertisement, catalog, art, and hair modeling" jobs to be had in these parts.

Dec 15 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thomas B wrote:

Promotional modeling isn't modeling per se.  Not in the "take pictures, get tear sheets" kinda way. But either way there isn't an abundance of promotional work flooding this site.  Sign with a promotions company to make money as a promo model.  Any print advertising work she'd receive she'd more than likely get through an agency.  Again, NOT on MM.  The main point is that the work she will find on HERE in abundance at her height is nude work.

Dec 15 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

MM just isn't the best way for models looking for paid work to find it.  Most
of the photographers here are hobbyists and make little to nothing from shooting.
If a model is seeking real work then she/he needs to contact a real agency
and get the images they ask for and go to auditions.  While I'm sure there are
some on MM who are lucky enough to get enough bookings to pay bills I think
most don't.  My best advice is get a job so you can pay for your car yourself
and then be able to travel without the worry of will this or that opportunity pay.

Dec 15 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TXPhotog wrote:

In Vegas, yes.  On MM, no.  And she's looking on MM.  Not a lot of "high fashion, advertisement, catalog, art, and hair modeling" jobs to be had in these parts.

Quit saying what i say in less words!  It makes me look bad!

Dec 15 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

eh...the casting calls never get me anything...even when I put up TFCD- so I'm not sure how effective they are for models.

Network yourself like crazy...respond to casting calls- in a word: hustle. they won't just show up at your door.

Dec 15 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Because you are commercial height without a commercial face.

Besides, as a model, you shoudl be getting jobs from an agency... not so much an internet site....

Most photographers that have money to pay for models out of their own pocket fall in one of two catagories...

1) they provide content for adult sites.

2) they are very experienced, and teach seminars, or sell books.... and have LOTS of models to choose from.

Dec 15 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

Brittney Denea

Oceanside, California, US

You know what I think is funny.  How people don't know you yet they assume you're not looking for a job, too.  You think it hasn't crossed my mind, and I haven't been trying?  I live in an area that has way less jobs than people.  I've been driving 40 minutes out of my town (N and S) and looking for jobs there.  You could ask if I've been trying to get a job.  And the answer is Yes, I'm not an idiot.

Also, I think there's only 1 or 2 agencies here.  In San Fransisco?  I'm not sure but I'll look  more into it.

Dec 15 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

UneekArts

Wadesboro, North Carolina, US

Ransom J wrote:

I think this is the best advice you've got so far. You are pretty but you are not drop dead gorgeous. Do you know how many "pretty" girls there are in this world?

You are only 19 but listen to me. If you want to model as a career, you have to treat it like a career. As many have suggested, you have to go where the work is and believe it or not you need to create a business plan. You need to outline your assets and your weaknesses and you need to market youself like ther ain't no tomorrow. There are 100s of 1,000s of girls that are your age that look as good as you that want the same thing you want. You essentially have to get it into your head that you are going to personally kick every single one of them's ass for the job. It is not nice but it is real. If you don't have it in you to do all this, you will be shooting TFCDs for the rest of your life and wondering why all the other models are passing you by.

Guess what, the same holds true for photographers, MUAs, hair stylists, street sweepers etc.... It is really not a kind and gentle world out there but if you arm yourself with the right tools and pick the right path, you can and will kick some serious butt. I wish you all the luck and prosperity in the world, I really do. So go for it.

By the way, if you are ever in Wilmington, NC and would like to shoot a TFCD, let me know. :-) :-) :-)

doc

Dec 15 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

Come to Florida!

Dec 15 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

pkm images

Glendale, California, US

Brittney Denea wrote:

Yes I would have to agree , it's the location you're in. You got to be in a area where the commercial market is bigger, and also to sign with a commercial agent to help you. Or get a 2nd job while searching for modeling jobs. Alot of photographers have 2nd jobs too, while they build up their client list.

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Daniela V wrote:
eh...the casting calls never get me anything...even when I put up TFCD- so I'm not sure how effective they are for models.

Network yourself like crazy...respond to casting calls- in a word: hustle. they won't just show up at your door.

I wouldn't ask anyone to come  far for a TFCD/Prints thing. (maybe people being courteous shock shock) I see a Courtney Love thing going on with her...and for Daniela  her EN Pointe concept to be explored. Thing is neither one of you are dam close enough to even mention about ME executing it. SUCKS!

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

This is from my post on another site about models who are looking for paid work online:

To the models who are seeking paid work FROM photographers, understand that at that point the photographer is THE CUSTOMER.

In any business market, THE CUSTOMER (photographer) buys, pays for what THEY want...not what the seller (model) wants to sell. IF a photographer ONLY wants to pay for nude, fetish,lingeire,etc..type of work..then THAT is the market for paid work to a model from that photographer.

Now if the photographer has a client who is looking for a specific type of shoot AND THE CLIENT is willing to pay for a model, then the photographer can select a model based on HIS/HER CUSTOMER'S need(s)

Comments from models, photographers and other industry personal are appreciated.

Oliver Cole

Dec 15 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've noticed a well known trend.  Many of the models who start like gang busters,
who say they are ready to make a real go of modeling stop after six months or
less.  I imagine because they find out that this is real work and many of the paid
offers on-line involve nudes or sex.  This is a hustle even with a agency working
for you.  It requires going to lots of auditions for things you won't get.  It requires
shooting many times for free with people who can provide you with the images
you require.  It may even mean paying sometimes for what you need.  Much of
this is something many who sign up here won't do. 

I've been here about a year and a half and I've see many of the same photographers but most of the models are gone... 
They aren't on the forums and they sign in to their profile only a few times a month
or less.  This requires work like many things it means knocking on lots of doors.
It also may mean taking a objective look at yourself and deciding if modeling is really for you.  I do photography because I enjoy it.  I make no money from
it and I still would do it.  I don't think thats how most models feel.

Dec 15 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
You know what I think is funny.  How people don't know you yet they assume you're not looking for a job, too.  You think it hasn't crossed my mind, and I haven't been trying?

I think you would've been better off saying:

here's what I've done so far....it's not working...what else should I do?

Snipping at people will get you no advice.

Dec 15 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

NessaSej

Flushing, Michigan, US

Daniela V wrote:

I think you would've been better off saying:

here's what I've done so far....it's not working...what else should I do?

Snipping at people will get you no advice.

but it'll get her a response.. which is what she wants..

Dec 15 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I'm a photog myself, and I would love to get paid by every model that i shot with.

Dec 15 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
You know what I think is funny.  How people don't know you yet they assume you're not looking for a job, too.  You think it hasn't crossed my mind, and I haven't been trying?  I live in an area that has way less jobs than people.  I've been driving 40 minutes out of my town (N and S) and looking for jobs there.  You could ask if I've been trying to get a job.  And the answer is Yes, I'm not an idiot.

Also, I think there's only 1 or 2 agencies here.  In San Fransisco?  I'm not sure but I'll look  more into it.

move???

Dec 15 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Sometimes, on occasion, been known to happen,
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
May things be as best as they can be.
Good luck.

Dec 15 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Ransom J wrote:

LOL

Dec 15 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

I'm going to tell you what the problem is with you and many models on here. Many of you take 10 images that you put up on your portfolio, and think that photographers are going to flock over to you and shell out their money. Sweetheart, first you have to crawl before you can walk.

Let's start off with your portfolio, once you build up a strong portfolio, which I know that you can, because I see something that some of the photographers don't see. Once you have top quality work, photographers, who do top notch work will keep coming at you, from there, you start charging because you have something that they want and your time is valuable.

Again, many of you models,. show some ass and tities, a few shots and think that you are there. No you you are not. You port. is ok, but it's just that, ok. Go around and look at some of the better portoflios that the models are craking out.

Dec 15 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Thomas B wrote:

How many are short and keep their clothes on and make that kind of money for photographic modeling?

And to the OP... if it makes you feel any better few people ever answer my casting calls either! I get who i get from directly contacting them. Usually several times. And I'm not even asking them to pay me. LOL!

Dec 15 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

You have a very nice, wholesome, commercial look. Get with an agent, and hit the pavement for the casting calls for commercial/catalog work. Sacramento isn't that far from LA so go to the city and actively look.

Dec 15 06 07:53 pm Link

Model

Shanna

Austin, Indiana, US

your hot tell everyone to suck it and follow your dreams lol

Dec 15 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

During the "MAGIC" conventions here in Las Vegas... practically any reasonably attractive woman can get some sort of gig as a 'fashion model'. (which is kind of surprising because the convention was originally for just for Mens clothing).

Also, while you may be on MM simply looking to get some photos, it's important to know that PHOTOGRAPHERS typically aren't the people responsible for hiring models.

With that said, go to a California Licensed agency in your area and get signed on.  You might possibly want to let Public Relations firms, Promotional Companies, and Ad agencies know of your existance too... as THOSE are the primary people that hire models. 

Knowing and using the little bit of info that I just mentioned will put you way ahead of the game... while everyone else is looking for a modeling gig on here.... you'll actually be doing it!

Dec 15 06 07:56 pm Link