Forums > General Industry > Why doesn't anyone want to shoot with me?

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

Miss Shanna Banana wrote:
your hot tell everyone to suck it and follow your dreams lol

interesting advice from someone whining in another thread.......

Dec 15 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

.... smile

Dec 15 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have only 1 question, if you have a car payment, that means you must have had a job to get the loan, so, what happened to that job?

Dec 15 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Can someone be an engineer, doctor, attorney, accountant making good money without several years of schooling, thousands invested in education and training?

Even then alot of those people never make it and there is much higher demand for those jobs than modeling relatively speaking.

While modeling doesn't take anywhere near the same education it does require a great look, skill, training and experience and that is just for an opportunity to make some money just like any business. 

Models are in business and businesses fail if they don't invest in themselves, marketing themselves and spending hours at it with no assurance of success.

If you are looking for guaranteed steady income get a job at a temp agency, receptionist or Starbucks.  I always see attractive 20 something baristas at Starbucks( they rarely hire over 30 guys with a degree);  so Im sure you wont have any problem.

Aspiring models should just try it part time as a fun hobby(that they pay for and invest money into skills, experience like any hobby.  For example, I used to spend thousands on skiing, does that mean I deserve to make alot of money as a professional skiier?)before attempting to make any money at it.

Dec 15 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

A doctor, accountant, attorney and engineer spend countless hours and ungodly amounts of money on school to get the well-paying jobs they have.

A model has to do the same on shoots, accessories, self-care, and plain old hitting the pavement to get their names/faces known and/or recognized so people and companies will pay them for their work.

Lightwave Photography wrote:
Can someone be an engineer, doctor, attorney, accountant making good money without several years of schooling, thousands invested in education and training?

Even then alot of those people never make it and there is much higher demand for those jobs than modeling relatively speaking.

While modeling doesn't take anywhere near the same education it does require a great look, skill, training and experience and that is just for an opportunity to make some money just like any business. 

Models are in business and businesses fail if they don't invest in themselves, marketing themselves and spending hours at it with no assurance of success.

If you are looking for guaranteed steady income get a job at a temp agency, receptionist or Starbucks.  I always see attractive 20 something baristas at Starbucks( they rarely hire over 30 guys with a degree);  so Im sure you wont have any problem.

Aspiring models should just try it part time as a fun hobby(that they pay for and invest money into skills, experience like any hobby)before attempting to make any money at it.

Dec 15 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
You know what I think is funny.  How people don't know you yet they assume you're not looking for a job, too.  You think it hasn't crossed my mind, and I haven't been trying?  I live in an area that has way less jobs than people.  I've been driving 40 minutes out of my town (N and S) and looking for jobs there.  You could ask if I've been trying to get a job.  And the answer is Yes, I'm not an idiot.

Also, I think there's only 1 or 2 agencies here.  In San Fransisco?  I'm not sure but I'll look  more into it.

Hey.. you were the one asking for suggestions... we gave you some. If you would have gone into detail and explained a little more, maybe the suggestions that you were given would have been a bit different. No one here called you an idiot...

At the same time though, I have a hard time believing that you can't find ANY jobs at this time of year... grocery stores, malls, walmarts, targets... etc... they are all looking for people.

Dec 15 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Leo Howard wrote:
I have only 1 question, if you have a car payment, that means you must have had a job to get the loan, so, what happened to that job?

If I remember correctly from another thread, she was doing something regarding trips to Hawaii...

Dec 15 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

your hot tell everyone to suck it and follow your dreams lol

well, that's the reason why no one wants to shoot with you because you told them in your profile, in so many words to suck it.

Dec 15 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

Shanna

Austin, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

well, that's the reason why no one wants to shoot with you because you told them in your profile, in so many words to suck it.

thats nothing what i said. i said im up to shoot with anyone. duh. you people are silly.

Dec 15 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brandy wrote:

If I remember correctly from another thread, she was doing something regarding trips to Hawaii...

Oh

Dec 15 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Fischer

San Luis Obispo, California, US

I'm working on my beach portfolio and would be more than happy to shoot with you.  I do not pay much for portfolio work, but it will cover the cost of driving to the central coast and you will walk away with something for your portfolio. (you may want to hold off till it's a bit warmer)

Brian in Atascadero, CA

Dec 15 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

thats nothing what i said. i said im up to shoot with anyone. duh. you people are silly.

I'm referring to your older profile, but now you are doing what you are doing in your own similar post. You are telling people to suck it, but not really surprising. U r missing the point to why the woman can't get paid work. Mayhaps if you weren't so hardheaded, you'd learn something here.

Dec 15 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

When I see a subject line like this, my first thought is that the post is a thinly veiled:

A) request for empty compliments from random strangers (the ego stroke)
-or- B) a passive-aggressive casting call in an inappropriate forum

I hope this isn't one of those.  They're both annoying.

I agree with other people though-- you're going to need to hit your local agencies if you really want to make a living at catalog/commercial work.  As far as I can tell, the bulk of paid work to be had from sites like this is a bit more adult-oriented than I think you'd be interested in.

Maybe some of these will help:

Models, if you want an agency...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=63929

By doing a forum search for "agencies":

Agencies for petite Models
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=51160

Agencies for under 5'9"
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=53526

"Reputable" Agencies for Unconventional Models
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=52122

at your height it's harder and with your unwillingness to shoot nude... there is a very very very slim chance you'll actually make money.

As another non-nude shortie, I can say that this is very true-- even in a city like Seattle.  It's why I have a normal job and only model on the side for fun (and the occasional bit of free latex, heh). smile

Dec 19 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

M Kym

Washington, District of Columbia, US

You may have to get a real job and model on the weekends or something.  You cant just throw all of your cares to the wind and expect to make enough modeling.

Dec 19 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
You have a very nice, wholesome, commercial look. Get with an agent, and hit the pavement for the casting calls for commercial/catalog work. Sacramento isn't that far from LA so go to the city and actively look.

Not that far in what terms? I just checked with google maps and its 5 hours and 41 minutes... Thats no daily commute...

To the OP: The only way a model makes it is if they treat this like a freelance job. Its not easy. The work you get out of it is directly porportional to the work you put into it. In this case, it has to be the right type of work for you to succeed, otherwise you'll be working towards nothing. Take the advice here and do what you have to do to get the work.

Best of luck.

Dec 19 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

I think the casting calls section is pretty useless, actually, too many posters for the number of readers and everything drops off the first page very quickly.

This is a networking site.  Search for all photographers in whatever distance you're willing to drive.  Start tagging, commenting on images, sending nice little notes.  Maybe some of them will want to hire you.

If you can get somebody to put you up in a hotel over this way you might want to note a bunch of local photographers and tell them you're in the area for such and such days if they're interested in hiring you.

Dec 19 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shelby Rich

Vancouver, Washington, US

To me, becoming a model to have as a career and pay the bills is like saying you want to be a movie star...yeah, it's possible, but is it realistic?

Dec 19 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have paid work available. And I've been known to pay for travel for some out of town models. But I don't allow chaperones. And that's where you and I hit our roadblock when we tried setting something up a couple of months ago.

Send me a message if you want to try setting something up again. I'm planning a trip to your area beginning of February.

Dec 19 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

If I am in your area sometime, I would love to shoot with you!!

Dec 19 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Shelby Rich wrote:
To me, becoming a model to have as a career and pay the bills is like saying you want to be a movie star...yeah, it's possible, but is it realistic?

If you have a look that'll sell and work at selling it, then sure. But you still have to work at it.

Dec 19 06 08:04 pm Link

Model

Ashli Davenport

Winter Park, Florida, US

Ransom J wrote:
Geez there is a lot of whining on forums lately.

But to answer your question:

"I really want to do high fashion, advertisement, catalog, art, and hair modeling. I will work for prints, CD images or $$."

You're 5'6" so give up on High Fashion.  Especially PAYING high fashion.

Catalog and commercial work is POSSIBLE.  But THIS isn't the place to get it.  At least not enough to be trying to "pay your car note".  Hit up agencies in your area for local work or move to ATL or LA  or Chicago as they all have decent Commercial markets.

You're a short model looking for paying work of enough abundance to pay bills with on an online modeling site.  Unless you plan on getting naked your goals don't match your efforts.

a little harsh. is someone having a bad day???
as a matter of fact, i have gotten catalogue and commercial  work through this and enough to pay a few car payments...and i am only 5'2'' on a good day!

on the other hand, the model should know that unless she is signing contracts that she should always have a back up plan for financial needs. getting a part time job would probably help until she is chilling with giselle, heidi, and tyra.

Dec 19 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

You just need to find a better photographer.

Dec 19 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

here's the deal!  having worked all over the world in this industry for 30 years and continue to do so, i will offer my advice.  very few people on this site or others are making their primary income from modelling or photography.  this is not to make a value judgement or to be critical, just an observation.  please don't bother posting back about how YOU do work, i understand there are those of you here and elsewhere.  now to my point:  your best bet as a model or photographer is to be unique, be yourself, seperate from the clutter; either on line or not.
as it relates to the op, look at the work of three examples of models on this site (i know there are many, many others so don't be offended by your exclusion)
look at wynd mylusa, betcee may, and jen amber.
all three hustle and work all the time and all three are great and very different.   look at what makes them unique and learn from them.  they are all beautiful, have a distinct philosophy, and are gutsy.  if you try to conform to an unrealistic ideal, you will be subject to extreme scrutiny and most likely be discouraged.  if this sounds negative, it is not!  this is an opportunity to actually work; be yourself, figure it out.  have the guts to be yourself.
saverio

Dec 19 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ashli Davenport wrote:

as a matter of fact, i have gotten catalogue and commercial  work through this and enough to pay a few car payments...and i am only 5'2'' on a good day!

on the other hand, the model should know that unless she is signing contracts that she should always have a back up plan for financial needs. getting a part time job would probably help until she is chilling with giselle, heidi, and tyra.

No I wasn't having a bad day.  And no it wasn't harsh.  It was the truth.

You've paid a FEW car payments.

That sums that up.

Dec 19 06 08:19 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ashli Davenport wrote:

I have to say that I agree with Ransom. She's not a high fashion model, continuing to point herself in that direction and try for that isn't going to give her any satisfaction.

Her league is nude modeling or commercial. She won't do nudes and isn't really in a big enough market for commercial. As he said, she would need to get herself into a bigger market to get paying commercial or catalogue work.

IMHO, she needs to go get a full time job, work her ass off and save a little... she can either get herself to a larger market then for commercial work or just be a hobbiest...

Dec 19 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

I once had a modeling girlfriend named, "Brandy." 

She decided in her most proper Episcopalian manners to turn me into to the Maryland State Troopers for her wild fictions. 

As a result, I ban anyone named, "Brandy" from one of my photo shoots.

Gee, I suppose is sucks to be you?

Paul.

Dec 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Ransom J wrote:

Promotional modeling isn't modeling per se.  Not in the "take pictures, get tear sheets" kinda way. But either way there isn't an abundance of promotional work flooding this site.  Sign with a promotions company to make money as a promo model.  Any print advertising work she'd receive she'd more than likely get through an agency.  Again, NOT on MM.  The main point is that the work she will find on HERE in abundance at her height is nude work.

I agree, you should find a promotional modeling company.  You can make decent money in just one day doing promotions.  For example, I earned 400$ one day over Thanksgiving break doing a promotional job at the mall.

You don't usually find promotional jobs on here, so like Ransom said, you should look elsewhere.  You can even search on OMP. 

Go to www.affinitytalent.com and submit your pictures for consideration.  If they like you, they will inform you of jobs.  But this is just one of many.

Good luck!

Dec 19 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
I once had a modeling girlfriend named, "Brandy." 

She decided in her most proper Episcopalian manners to turn me into to the Maryland State Troopers for her wild fictions. 

As a result, I ban anyone named, "Brandy" from one of my photo shoots.

Gee, I suppose is sucks to be you?

Paul.

Gee, I guess I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposedly missing out on...??

Dec 19 06 08:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dorine Lara

New York, New York, US

If you're constantly looking for a job then stop whining about how you can't keep your car if you can't get photographers to work with you.

Honestly, all it makes you sound is unprofessional and desperate.

We all have bills and yet we all don't post casting calls that say "help me keep my car."

Don't mean to sound incredibly rude, you can accomplish anything, but it takes time and great self motivation. Keep trying, we all have to start somewhere.

Dec 19 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

another one? the second one this week already. where in the world did she get the information that she can become a model that would pay her enough to keep a car?

Dec 19 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Leo Chan wrote:
another one? the second one this week already. where in the world did she get the information that she can become a model that would pay her enough to keep a car?

Leo,

I was just thinking the same thing, sort of.
I guess its true, great minds think alike, or at least 2 Leo's do.

:-)

Leo

Dec 19 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

saverio wrote:
there are many, many others so don't be offended by your exclusion)
look at wynd mylusa, betcee may, and jen amber.
all three hustle and work all the time and all three are great and very different.   look at what makes them unique and learn from them.  they are all beautiful, have a distinct philosophy, and are gutsy. 
saverio

The problem is the 3 gorgeous examples you cited all will pose nude.  The op will not.

Dec 19 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I have paid work available. And I've been known to pay for travel for some out of town models. But I don't allow chaperones. And that's where you and I hit our roadblock when we tried setting something up a couple of months ago.

Send me a message if you want to try setting something up again. I'm planning a trip to your area beginning of February.

and now we won't hear from the OP ever again.

Dec 19 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Daniela V wrote:

and now we won't hear from the OP ever again.

hahaha

Dec 19 06 09:25 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

This again??
learn to hustle...
How to get paid

Diversification in networking: Don't only rely only on MM there is OMP, Craig's list, Fineartguild.com, communityzoe.com, & local networking parties and events, yahoo groups, myspace, tribe, workshops, night clubs, and other avenues to get your name out in several markets not just one. Remember networking is key, a lot of artists and photographer share names of models they have worked with. Do one workshop with 5 photographers and that is 5 potential photographers who may have a job for you in the future. Don’t forget the photographer who is teaching the class as well. And better yet each of those photographers may know someone else who is looking for a person to play a bit part in the new movie they are having trouble casting, or they need a model for a local promotional event they are hosting. Or attend one group shooting event show up and you may get jobs in the future, I know one photographer who did not hire me at one particular event he met me at instead I was hired for a separate project altogether.

Diversification in jobs: What genre do you want to work in? The real question is how many genre’s CAN you work in? Art & figure modeling, runway, fashion, glamour, fetish, commercial, now think outside of the box, Not all art is pretty and glamorous. I played a dead girl in a bath tub once. Another time I posed as “broken”. There are many artists who need models not just photographers, sculptors need models, as do painters, and art teachers and art students, some artists need models for body castings. Some models also work with promotions passing out samples and information, or wearing new outfits by local designers to clubs, bit movie parts, and the good old fun job of go-go dancing.

Contacts: Make your self easy to find!!! Every photographer and artist has a different venue they go to find models some you meet on the street, some you meet in galleries some you meet at book signings. Always have your business card or comp card at all times I recommend a web site with email. Easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember. Have your cell number usable at all times or get a modeling cell only if you are worried about privacy. If a photographer thinks of you for a project you need to make sure he/she can FIND YOU and contact you in 2 minutes or less. I know a lot of photographers who lament about the model they though of and don’t have any info on. They can’t recall the OMP number or the last name…

Replies: Now you have photographers and artists contacting you. Reply back to them even if you do not want to work with that job. A simple “no thank you I’m booked that day” or “I do not think that job is right for me but please keep me in mind for other jobs you may have in the future”. Will do just that, it will keep you out of the little black books everyone professes to have. After each job send a little thank you email letting them know you appreciate the fact that they hired you and picked you for the job. This goes for studio managers as well as photographers. Sometimes just a “it was great to meet you” is all that is needed to get you on a mental list of models to work with.

Payment: Oh right you are doing all of this to get paid. Payment comes in many many ways here is a fun little list I have been keeping up to date in all the crazy ways I have been paid for my work.
Cash
Prints
Room & Board
Plane Tickets
Movie Tickets
Hair cuts, color, styles,
Ramen, Sushi, Wine, Fresh Lemons
Fresh catnip
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free Drinks
Free Books
CD’s, & DVD’s
Free trips & vacations
Spankings (That was special don’t get any ideas)
Tattoos & Piercings
Rum Soaked Truffles
Photography lessons
CS2 lessons
Full commercial rights to several images I have helped create.

All the wonderful beautiful new places I have traveled to and seen.
All the wonderful beautiful people I have met and learned from.
The chance to be immortalized in art.

Dec 19 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Wait, didnt this thread get locked at her request, or am I thinking of another thread?

Dec 19 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

well , i hire models but not of m.m.  , the reason why is hot girls like you will throw some outragous  number at me like $75 an hour.    i can get a pretty girl anywhere to pose for 8 hours for $150  even doing nudes.   so as a cost to profit ratio i go with girls off the street.   most the photogs on here want free models or to be paid , few are hiring like me to sell the images.   really for my work a pretty body is most of my concern.   so an exspensive pretty model is of no use to me at all .

Dec 19 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Ahh but what persentage of great images can girls off the street give you?

It takes more then just standing there with no clothes on...

Dec 19 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

darkfotoart wrote:
well , i hire models but not of m.m.  , the reason why is hot girls like you will throw some outragous  number at me like $75 an hour.    i can get a pretty girl anywhere to pose for 8 hours for $150  even doing nudes.   so as a cost to profit ratio i go with girls off the street.   most the photogs on here want free models or to be paid , few are hiring like me to sell the images.   really for my work a pretty body is most of my concern.   so an exspensive pretty model is of no use to me at all .

i'd like to see a few of those shots.

Dec 19 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Ashli Davenport wrote:

I have to agree with Ransom.

Dec 19 06 09:50 pm Link