Forums > General Industry > Can spouses and muses coexist in harmony?

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Almost before the question is even asked, I suppose the obvious answer would be "it depends".

So the question is..can a photographer and muse have that special creative connection and support for each other without the wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband getting suspicious, jealous or just plain weird about it?

Sometimes a wife or a girlfriend just isn't interested in modeling over and over again, or they did in the beginning and then they got burned out on it (much like massages while dating.. plentiful during dating..not so much after a few years!). Maybe your spouses, as lovely as they are.. just aren't what you need for your portfolio. There's a lot of variables that can come into play.

I consider myself endlessly lucky in that my wife could not be more supportive of my photography. She gets my passion, she allows me my time to work at it, she's modeled for me and has absolutely no problem with me shooting other beautiful women. She actually keeps an eye of for me for new models. Again, I couldn't be more lucky ("blessed" would seem to color it as if there was some  divine intervention, so I just stick with damn lucky!). I'm probably the exception. I don't have a muse, but if one came along, it'd probably be a great opportunity to work and try things with an equally enthusiastic creative partner.

Does anybody have any muse related success or horror stories? whether you were one or had one?

This should be interesting...

Patrick :-)

Dec 12 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I'm lucky in that my bride loves women just as much as I do. She's put a owman's view into my photography noticing the things I might miss like a bra strap being twisted or a necklace not laying right...she's invaluable to me in regards to picking stunning models.

Dec 12 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yes, as long as they don't know about each other.... ask the French......... they even keep their mistress'es away from their mistress!

Dec 12 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i have no problems eather she is the person that i say "what do you think" first and she is honest i like that

Dec 12 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

My wife is always picking out possible candidates when we are out on the street, but I'm just too much of a coward to approach them.

Hey....... Maybe my wife knows this and just points them out to tease me... sad

Gary big_smile

Dec 12 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

My former wife came to hate all of the muse related work as well as later on all of my work. It was part of the reason a 33 year marriage ended in divorce.
When I remarried 11 years ago my wife said to a friend:"Look, he was making photographs of nude women before I met him and I'm going to tell him to stop now? I don't think so." In fact she is an active model for me and some of the best critiques of my work. Many of the models are her friends and often she will bring me a new model. Am I in heaven or what?

Dec 12 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I keep my Muse and my wife a few states apart.
Seriously....my wife is very supportive and I use her as my sounding board for new concepts.  At one time she was my test subject for all new techniques, but after enough 3:00am brainstorms she has asked not to be used in that capacity any longer...lol

Dec 12 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

grandart wrote:
My former wife came to hate all of the muse related work as well as later on all of my work. It was part of the reason a 33 year marriage ended in divorce.
When I remarried 11 years ago my wife said to a friend:"Look, he was making photographs of nude women before I met him and I'm going to tell him to stop now? I don't think so." In fact she is an active model for me and some of the best critiques of my work. Many of the models are her friends and often she will bring me a new model. Am I in heaven or what?

Divorced after 33 years? Yikes! My wife and I just celebrated our 33rd Anniversary on November 17th. I guess I best be careful.

Dec 12 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

I didn't know we could keep a wife.  I need to start looking.

Dec 12 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

DFWlens

Dallas, Texas, US

You are allowed to shoot photos, as long as you subjects arent what she has decided is "your type," or anyone she thinks is thinner, younger, or prettier than she is.

Mine used to fume about my airplane. She looked at it and saw furniture, clothes, and no telling what.

Last week she swore that she would go to work and help fund my sky addiction if  I would just put down that damn camera!

Dec 12 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Scissor Industries

San Jose, California, US

My lady is fine with it... mostly. She gets a bit sad that I don't want to user her all the time as a muse. She trusts that if I think it's fine, then it is. Healthy relationships are great.

Dec 12 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Sigh....

Dec 12 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

If you don't know if they will get along, but if they don't I at least hope you know which one to tell to take a hike.

Studio36

Dec 12 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
If you don't know if they will get along, but if they don't I at least hope you know which one to tell to take a hike.

Studio36

Well then the muse can take a hike.. because the wife would take half!

Dec 12 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

DFWlens

Dallas, Texas, US

Damn skippy!

Dec 12 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Brown

Portland, Oregon, US

My question is: What is a muse?

Someone to work with regularly is fine. I've become very close to some of my models. Sometimes it is just a great working relationship, lots of collaboration, joint projects, etc. In a few cases I have made good friends too. All that is ok.

Working with someone whom you could fall for emotionally or who could fall for you is dangerous for any married person.

Dec 12 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

jealousy is an ugly thing

Dec 12 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Every time I incorporate an SO into my work, it makes it just that much better.

Dec 12 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

It'd be nice to hear from some models that have been or are current muses on this subject. Do they have problems with wives, girlfriends? their boyfriends or husbands...

Oooooor have they started out as a working muse and then the photographer tried to take it somewhere else? I'm sure there's as many variations on this as there are actual muse/photographrer working realationships.

Dec 12 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

NO!

Dec 12 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
Can spouses and muses coexist in harmony?

Yes.  Harmony is a cemetery in Prince Georges County, Maryland. https://bestsmileys.com/happy/1.gif

Dec 12 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

No, you can only serve one master

Dec 12 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

My fiance and my first real muse, the model in my main image and a couple other shots on my port got along extremely well, from the first second they met, and she was at all 3 of her shoots I did of her. Unfortunately she had to move to Washington for med school. To this day even at the mention of her name or having recieved a rare email from her because she is so busy, my fiance gets a smile on her face.

It can happen.

Dec 12 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

VisualPoet

I* think there is always some jealous.  My wife is always saying - wow, I can't compete with someone like that & I tell her, she don't have to!

Dec 12 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

C R Photography wrote:
Every time I incorporate an SO into my work, it makes it just that much better.

Ummm... what does that mean?

:-P

Dec 12 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

No muses to add anything to this? :-P

Hmm....

Dec 13 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Success here. I am a muse for a photographer, and I'm friends with his wife as well. She has said she'd worry about his feelings for me if he were younger (he's retired).

Dec 13 06 04:01 pm Link

Model

kelly don

Cambridge, Massachusetts, US

usually I am cursed with getting along too well with all the males around me.. at a shoot, at home, in public, does not matter... so the fact that many of you have great relationships with your women - kudos! I just have a difficult time because I am an attractive young woman who likes football and drinking and I am immediately the enemy in a room with two or more jealous women in it.

cheers and happy holidays.
~ kelly don*

Dec 13 06 04:03 pm Link

Model

Miakoda Rayne

Mount Ephraim, New Jersey, US

I think depends on the maturity of the people involved and the circumstances around them.

If one of the people involved has a past history of cheating, then yes, it could make their partner jealous. If photographer and muse spend ALL of their time together (even when they aren't shooting), then yes, it may cause some jealousy. If either one makes an advance on the other and their S/O hears about it, then yes, there are going to be problems.

Mostly, I would think that your S/O would understand that you have a friendly working relationship with this other person. That even though they see you naked, they aren't there to jump your bones, they are there to create something beautiful to enhance both of your careers. People who do this for a living - especially nude models/photographers just need to make sure that their partners KNOW that they are the only person for them. They need to make sure to remind them that they are the main focus of their romantic life, and that everyone else is simply another way to enchance their careers.

Did this make any sense?

Dec 13 06 04:12 pm Link

Model

Ayse Daenet

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

kelly don wrote:
usually I am cursed with getting along too well with all the males around me.. at a shoot, at home, in public, does not matter... so the fact that many of you have great relationships with your women - kudos! I just have a difficult time because I am an attractive young woman who likes football and drinking and I am immediately the enemy in a room with two or more jealous women in it.

cheers and happy holidays.
~ kelly don*

I know exactly what you mean. I'm the girl that likes football and adult swim and cars and video games so I'm almost automatic best friends with most guys. Jealous girls tend not to like me too much, but I don't let it bother me...
On the subject of being a muse.. my bf hasn't met my photog yet, but I don't think he's a jealous person. He just doesn't understand the art in nudity... so sad.

Dec 13 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

There is only one small theme voiced here that makes any sense.

Only date/marry/etc. with someone that is also your muse, generally muses do not mind other muses. Do they?

RB

Dec 13 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

VisualPoet

until the muse become the significant other, right

Dec 13 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

Santa Cruz, California, US

Success story here...I work with a photographer on a weekly basis; me and his wife get along quite well... We exchange recipes and everything. I guess it doesn't hurt that I'm married as well.

Dec 13 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

my fionce thinks all togs are perves!!! so ignorent i hate it i love modeling and no way think its pervy i do it to express myself smile

Dec 13 06 04:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

I also am very fortunate that my wife of 24 years is very supposrtive of my artwork.  She undertands that I enjoy doing female nudes, and is actually quite helpful with her critiques--she doesn't let me get "lazy drawing syndrome."  lol

While I don't have a muse (yet), we have a great amount of trust in each other, and in fact, I want her to go to Glamourcon Chicago next year with me and our son (who helps with the business side).  She has an uncanny ability to talk to anybody like she's known the person for years.  She is a great friend and supporter

Dec 13 06 04:56 pm Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

not fair he should trust me!!! i was modeling before and i was a good girl i still am , it makes me sad that he does make these comments to me ..

Dec 13 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Sure...as long as the wife/girlfriend/etc IS the muse........lol.

Meela

Dec 13 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Cowen Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

tanyazaki aka candycat wrote:
not fair he should trust me!!! i was modeling before and i was a good girl i still am , it makes me sad that he does make these comments to me ..

I may be sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but if he doesn't trust you, are you sure you want to marry him?
My experiences with jealousy always end badly.
Just my two cents, I'll shut up now.

Dec 13 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

tanyazaki aka candycat wrote:
my fionce thinks all togs are perves!!! so ignorent i hate it i love modeling and no way think its pervy i do it to express myself smile

Well I'm not a perv.. but I play one on TV.

Dec 13 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
I'm lucky in that my bride loves women just as much as I do. She's put a owman's view into my photography noticing the things I might miss like a bra strap being twisted or a necklace not laying right...she's invaluable to me in regards to picking stunning models.

I don't have a particular muse, but I've found that my wife's "woman's eye" certainly has helped me, as a guy, pay more attention to stray hairs and the occassional exposed bra strap.

She hasn't brought any stunning models home, though...

Dec 13 06 05:34 pm Link