Forums > General Industry > Do you think this is for real....?

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a profile up on Models.com and after 3 or 4 days of being there I get a message that read:

I would like to see more photos of the following type(s):
Higher quality photos please
body shot
NO makeup
closeup of face
3/4 shot of face
profile of face
polaroids or snapshots only

So, my question for you all is: Have you had experiences like this? If it turns out he suggests I fly to NY would you recommend doing it? I would love to hear any comments or ideas you have.

Thank you!

Michelle

Dec 10 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Google the agency first hun.

Vixen.

Dec 10 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

LorenzoPierre

New York, New York, US

I believe that's actually a real and legit agency...congrats and hope everything goes well!

Dec 10 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Given that the request is for the sorts of pictures that fashion agencies actually do want (plain, no-makeup face and clothed body snapshots), and you actually do have the right stats and look for fashion modeling, unless this person gives you a weird vibe or some other reason to not think he's legit, this sounds real. A Google search on the agency name comes up looking alright, too. Most of the scammers who solicit models tend to ask for nude shots, want to do "webcam interviews," approach models who are attractive but would never in a million years actually be signed to a real agency, etc.

Dec 10 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's a good agency that is on the models.com approved list.  You are a member - read the list!

I will never understand why people put themselves out to get something, get it, and then question it.

Dec 10 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I will never understand why people put themselves out to get something, get it, and then question it.

lol

Dec 10 06 05:46 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

You should book a flight to NY for a week, make plans to meet with the agency, and also plan on going to at least four or five other open calls.

That is, if this is what you really want to do.

You have the right statistics, but time is wasting (20 is getting old my dear), and I personally love your look...hope someone else does too.

Best to you! xx

Dec 10 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I commend you for showing some initiative and asking here in hopes of not being made fun of or used as an example.

As stated the agency in question is indeed listed on Models.com as one of their “Featured Participating Agencies”.

Dec 10 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I commend you for showing some initiative and asking here in hopes of not being made fun of or used as an example.

Showing initiative is reading the FAQ on Models.com and proactively go find out more about the real-world modeling agencies.  There are plenty of info on Fusion on Models.com and many other websites.

It is absurd to get a request from Models.com (a professional oriented website with a list of approved real-world agencies), and then ask a question on here and getting random answers from mostly people who don't know (TX not included, I hasten to add).  Also, posting a personal message word-for-word is simply bad form.

What do you think the booker would think if he/she sees this thread?

We are lucky to have TX here answering these threads.

Dec 10 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

TXPhotog wrote:
It's a good agency that is on the models.com approved list.  You are a member - read the list!

Because, too often things look too good to be true. Don't you agree it's always best to get a third party perspective on the situation?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I appreciate them!

Dec 10 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Oh jeez. Take the stick out of your bum. Please. I, too, wish there were more exciting threads on MM right now, but come on.

EDIT: This was directed to "III" and not the OP.

Dec 10 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

K. Holden wrote:
Oh jeez. Take the stick out of your bum. Please. I, too, wish there were more exciting threads on MM right now, but come on.

Come on?  All of a sudden there is a real-world agent asking her to submit.  And the answer was already there on the original website.  Have you even seen how extensive the real-world modeling related resource page on Models.com is?

Would you ask a your neighbor who is not a plumber about that leak in your bathroom when a professional plumber tells you he/she can fix it with XYZ method in an hour?

Because, too often things look too good to be true. Don't you agree it's always best to get a third party perspective on the situation?

Not if you are asking the wrong third party.  No.  There are only handful of agency-level people on MM, while there are plenty more in Models.com.  Why didn't you ask on Models.com?

Dec 10 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Deadlynightshade wrote:

Smart girl.  MM can be a resource in more than one way. There is no single "approved" method.  Some folks sure know how to rain on someone else's parade.

Dec 10 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:
Come on?  All of a sudden there is a real-world agent asking her to submit.  And the answer was already there on the original website.  Have you even seen how extensive the real-world modeling related resource page on Models.com is?

Would you ask a your neighbor who is not a plumber about that leak in your bathroom when a professional plumber tells you he/she can fix it with XYZ method in an hour?

Not if you are asking the wrong third party.  No.  There are only handful of agency-level people on MM, while there are plenty more in Models.com.  Why didn't you ask on Models.com?

Better to ask it here where it's unlikely the booker will see it.

Dec 10 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

jtorr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Research it, make phone calls to other agency's or representatives.  Look into it find out what other models they represent. 

DTA (don't trust anybody)  "Liar, everybody deceives me"

Dec 10 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:

K. Holden wrote:

Based on this one statement made by you " We are lucky to have TX here answering these threads." I think she did the right thing by coming here and asking a simple question, she got an answer from "TX" which you say is a good thing, is it not?

Dec 10 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

I know Fusion, but I dont know who wrote you- Why dont you just call them in the morning and ask ?

Mark

Dec 10 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

lll wrote:

Showing initiative is reading the FAQ on Models.com and proactively go find out more about the real-world modeling agencies.  There are plenty of info on Fusion on Models.com and many other websites.

It is absurd to get a request from Models.com (a professional oriented website with a list of approved real-world agencies), and then ask a question on here and getting random answers from mostly people who don't know.  Also, posting a personal message word-for-word is simply bad form.

What do you think the booker would think if he/she sees this thread?

We are lucky to have TX here answering these threads.

It's not bad form at all. I did not disclose ANY personal information from the person.  There is nothing that I posted that would embarass the person or let anyone know who they are.  It is not uncommon for an agent to request no makeup shots either so really it is a rather generic message.

Also, when dealing with matters online, you cannot believe everything that is said to you. That's why I am asking -people- what their thoughts are.

For everyone's information I DID google the website and agency.  If you read the question you will see that I am asking for people's OPINIONS... there are many models on this site who are professionals.. There is nothing wrong with asking their opinion.  It would be helpful to me to learn from others. I am mostly trying to figure out if I trip to NY would be more beneficial to starting a modeling career rather than sitting here in the armpit of the U.S. signing with local agencies.

Dec 10 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

[email protected] she is the head booker there

Dec 10 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Based on this one statement made by you " We are lucky to have TX here answering these threads." I think she did the right thing by coming here and asking a simple question, she got an answer from "TX" which you say is a good thing, is it not?

That, yes.  He is one of the very very few.  Threads like this have caused a lot of extremely credible people to leave MM.  I apologize if it came off too negative to the OP.

I never understand why people would applaud when people don't even do the least amount of their own work to figure things out for themselves.  Check FAQ, call the agency, ask for ID.  I can't even count how many Contact-A-Mod thread would disappear if people just read the info->FAQ and the rules.  It takes only a few minutes, but even for that, people would rather be fed.

Regardless, she gets what she needed.  I am happy for her to get noticed there; it's a good step in the right direction.  Fusion is legit, go get'em and good luck.  Good to see Mark's post, too.

Dec 10 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:

K. Holden wrote:

And another thing I just thought of, you are a MOD here and you are basically telling someone to not use the fourms for what they are really designed for, does that seem logical to you?

Dec 10 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:
That, yes.  He is one of the very very few.  Threads like this have caused a lot of extremely credible people to leave MM.  I apologize if it came off too negative to the OP.

Have you ever thought about statements and attitudes like yours has probably caused a lot of good people to leave MM

Dec 10 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Leo Howard wrote:
And another thing I just thought of, you are a MOD here and you are basically telling someone to not use the fourms for what they are really designed for, does that seem logical to you?

Asking people to read the FAQ and Info is wrong?  I did not say people should not use the forum.  It's like people asking what aperture is in the Photo forums (not just on this site).  When will people start to learn something for themselves?

What does the fact that I am a MOD change this line of thinking?  The only difference is that I see how many questions in the Contact-A-Mod system could have been answered within the first few lines of the FAQ on this site.  I don't see anything wrong with the logic.

I might have come off a little negative originally in this thread, for that, I apologize.

Dec 10 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Have you ever thought about statements and attitudes like yours has probably caused a lot of good people to leave MM

No sir.  Because they are still in contact.

Dec 10 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:

No sir.  Because they are still in contact.

How about the ones that got tired of attitudes like you have and arent in contact with you, they just leave and never look back.

Dec 10 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lll wrote:

Asking people to read the FAQ and Info is wrong?  I did not say people should not use the forum.  It's like people asking what aperture is in the Photo forums (not just on this site).  When will people start to learn something for themselves?

What does the fact that I am a MOD change this line of thinking?  The only difference is that I see how many questions in the Contact-A-Mod system could have been answered within the first few lines of the FAQ on this site.  I don't see anything wrong with the logic.

I might have come off a little negative originally in this thread, for that, I apologize.

Who the F*** cares what people ask on the forums, thats what forums are for a source of information, if the question is beneath you or you dont feel like answering, move on to something else.

I only wish when I was first starting out I had a resource like the internet forums.

Dec 10 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

I personally am in contact with agents and my sister-in-law is one for a major NYC agency... no agents I or she knows ever contact models this way...no time and too many beautiful walk-ins or agent discoverd models already.  My opinion... call the agency directly and see if that person does exist and ask if the did contact you this way.  Hey maybe they are doing this to some degree, so instead of fishing for opinions here, do the smart business thing and just call them.
with kindness,
PixelFisher.

Dec 10 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Leo Howard wrote:
How about the ones that got tired of attitudes like you have and arent in contact with you, they just leave and never look back.

And those are the people who don't care to even look up and read up the most basic of everything involved?

My attitude is this.  As someone who has a "dream" of doing something they like, they should be responsible to at least find out and learn the very basic of what they want to do.  If this someone joins a website that is modeling related, they should have at least read the basic rules of the game, figure out who the basic players are, and how it works.

There is an extremely extensive FAQ on Models.com (go take a look) totalling quite a few pages.  It has laid out the essence of how the modeling industry works, who the players are, how to find out and verify agencies (call them, email them) etc.  They even have a list of approved agencies (which Fusion is on).

I have apologized if it came off negative, but it is the crux of the problem here and on a few other online modeling forums.  One needs to ultimately do something for themselves and can't expect to be fed all the time.  Personally I think my response has been mild in comparison to what would have been on the other website; it wouldn't be that tolerated.

And once more time, I would apologize that I came off rather negatively.

Dec 10 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
My opinion... call the agency directly and see if that person does exist and ask if the did contact you this way.  Hey maybe they are doing this to some degree, so instead of fishing for opinions here, do the smart business thing and just call them.

Exactly...

It's happened on Models.com multiple times.  They have criteria setup so the website only sent new profiles that match those exact criteria to them on a regular basis (to my understanding).  The bookers, when they have time, browse through those and make some contact.  The site also tells members to verify their contacts through email, and phone calls to the agencies (and the agencies information are listed).

*sigh*

And I apologize once more, and again.  It is my fault that I might have allowed some family issues (death in the family yesterday) to affect my online personality.  For that, I sincerely apologize to the OP.

Dec 10 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

I know two large agencies here in L.A. that check out MM weekly looking for new faces.  Booking Agents are looking at the models and the photographers.  It does happen.  And I chose a MM model with no agent recently to do a major Fashion Editorial (out of the blue) because I liked her look.  I asked her to meet me in San Diego for 10 minutes while I was on my way to another shoot, having to pass San Diego on the way, just to get a look at her.  She met me with her boyfriend, for safety, (smart girl) and I decided upon that meeting that she was right for the job.  Things do happen this way.  You can see her next months issue of Lemonade Magazine, a 12 page Fashion Editorial.  She took a risk, I took a risk and it paid off for both of us. smile

Dec 10 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Who the F*** cares what people ask on the forums, thats what forums are for a source of information, if the question is beneath you or you dont feel like answering, move on to something else.

I only wish when I was first starting out I had a resource like the internet forums.

I care. Think of how much easier it'd be to find information in the forums without all the lazy questions.

Dec 10 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

lll wrote:

I never understand why people would applaud when people don't even do the least amount of their own work to figure things out for themselves.  Check FAQ, call the agency, ask for ID.  I can't even count how many Contact-A-Mod thread would disappear if people just read the info->FAQ and the rules.  It takes only a few minutes, but even for that, people would rather be fed.

Regardless, she gets what she needed.  I am happy for her to get noticed there; it's a good step in the right direction.  Fusion is legit, go get'em and good luck.  Good to see Mark's post, too.

It did sound rather negative, but I am not here to start a fight.  Also, doing research on an agency would include asking others their thoughts and opinions.  If you wanted to find a company to connect your cell phone, wouldn't it be wise to ask your friends what they think of the company first? Part of my research is asking others what they think.  Many people who responded to this gave me the advice I needed... not "oh yes they are legit and you are gorgeous" but "you should go to new york and go to 4 or 5 other casting calls as well."  THAT's what's helping me at the moment!  There is no ONE right person on here... there is no ONE right answer.

Dec 10 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Call the agency and speak with whoever emailed and ask if you can set up an appointment before booking a flight.  If they still show interest, then start calling other NY agency's and attemp to schedule times to see as many as possible while in NY, than book a flight and take the trip and go see as many as possible while here.

Some to call and ask are Vision, NY Models, Next, DNA, IMG, Marilyn, Major, Race, MC2, Trump, Click, Ford, Elite, ID.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Dec 10 06 07:04 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Let's move past the "Is it legit" debate for a moment.  I don't know if going to New York to go to casting calls is a smart idea or not.. that's why I am asking you guys. I don't see anything in any FAQ's about suddenly packing up and heading to NY... I've read the FAQ's -don't assume that I haven't.

Anyway, I'm not upset with anyone regarding their opinions. I asked- I got an answer.

I have already taken some of your guys' advice:

I plan to call the agent tomorrow (it's too late to call right now... that's why I thought I would post this thread in the forum) and ask him if he is interested in meeting with me, as well as get some references from other models and reps.

If they are interested in meeting with me, I will plan to take a trip to NY for a week and go to 4 or 5 other open calls while I am there.

For those of you who responded to my post, I greatly appreciate that.  Your advice is valuable and very helpful.

Dec 10 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Ok.  Let's move past that and now you have a really good question.

Should you go to NYC.

For most commercial work, the models have to be where the jobs are.  You will go to lots of go-sees and be picked for a few if your look works for the clients.  You don't get paid to go to go-sees/castings.

If you are not local to the go-sees, you don't get to go regularly, and you won't get picked.  It may be true that one day, once you have established you will be flown to another place to work, but generally you have to be where the job is.  It is not economically feasible for someone to live in, say, Arizona to constantly fly across the continent to go to go-sees in New York (unless we don't know that you are extremely independently wealthy).

It depends on your goals.  Do you want to land major ad-work?  Major print work?  Then NYC is the place to be.  Or would you be happy to work in a small market doing local print work?  It's up to you ultimately.

"You need to go where the jobs are".

Dec 10 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

lll wrote:
Ok.  Let's move past that and now you have a really good question.

Should you go to NYC.

For most commercial work, the models have to be where the jobs are.  You will go to lots of go-sees and be picked for a few if your look works for the clients.  You don't get paid to go to go-sees/castings.

If you are not local to the go-sees, you don't get to go regularly, and you won't get picked.  It may be true that one day, once you have established you will be flown to another place to work, but generally you have to be where the job is.  It is not economically feasible for someone to live in, say, Arizona to constantly fly across the continent to go to go-sees in New York (unless we don't know that you are extremely independently wealthy).

It depends on your goals.  Do you want to land major ad-work?  Major print work?  Then NYC is the place to be.  Or would you be happy to work in a small market doing local print work?  It's up to you ultimately.

"You need to go where the jobs are".

Hmmm that is very interesting.  So are you saying it would be more beneficial to live in NY to get jobs?

What if I wanted to sign with an agent such as Fusion or Elite or any of those well established NY agencies?

Dec 10 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Cripes...

There are a couple of dynamics going on here.

MM is well-known as a repository for people who don't know jack and lack the sense to shut up about it.  A thread like this is posed almost like a poll.  The two make for an unsettling combination. 

You may well get people who respond by belching out complete nonsense.  If, on the first page, you get 38 people who say "No!!  Sounds like a scam!!  Run!!" but only TXPhotog and lll say "Go for it."... well, unless you're familiar with how credible the two of them are, you could end up taking the majority concensus and be lead astray.

This is not to say that the rest of you don't know what you're talking about.  I can only vouch for the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about.  But from my limited undrestanding, you (The OP) have more reliable info available to you at Model.com than here.  If you do need a 3rd party opinion  -which isn't a bad idea, in and of itself-  and you want to get it from here, I'd suggest messaging someone who you know has credibility as opposed to open forum like this.

Dec 10 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

I want to be clear that I can not speak for Leo (lll).  At any rate, you've almost answered your own question in a way.

Deadlynightshade wrote:
So are you saying it would be more beneficial to live in NY to get jobs?

Think of it this way:  if you have a go-see in NYC at 9am tomorrow, you have to book a flight for it.  What if you can't get a flight?  You miss the go-see.  I don't think you'd have to miss too many go-sees before you realize that it would be more cost effective & practical if you lived in NYC and simply took the subway.

Deadlynightshade wrote:
What if I wanted to sign with an agent such as Fusion or Elite or any of those well established NY agencies?

Say you have an agency.  A girl comes to you who wants to model and model for you but she doesn't want to move.  What does that tell you about her commitment?  Are you in any way comfortable sending her to go-sees in NYC when she lives in AZ (especially if you already have models living in NYC who you can send)?  Would you even bother?

Dec 10 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

It is amazing how difficult we can make life be sometimes.

Dec 10 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Tachibana

Fusion is a great agency.  Who was it that you sent your info to? Was it Josh?

In any event, make sure the addresses match up to the address on the website, and if they do, go in! Fusion is a really great and legit agency!

My Best

Kli

Dec 10 06 08:21 pm Link