Forums > General Industry > wrinkled white sheets as background

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Does this scream GWC to you?

It does to me and I hate them. (wrinked white sheets)

Am I alone in this feeling?

Am I being a photo snob?

Dec 05 06 09:01 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Vidmandave wrote:

It does to me and I hate them. (wrinked white sheets)

Am I alone in this feeling?

Am I being a photo snob?

I believe we were calling them wronkled up bedsheets.

It doesn't always scream GWC. Because if you are creative enough, you can work it into a concept that's hot. Trust me on this one.

Dec 05 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Wronkled (sic).

We all start somewhere and maybe once they understand DoF and moving the model away from the background or even the "steam" bitton on the iron they will improve.  We are all improving all of the time.  Few people are able to entirely visualise the outcome of each shutter release.  That is why they have stylists and assistants.

Wronkled sheets screams beginner with nobody helping rather than GWC.

Dec 05 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Yeah I did it when I was in high school but when I got the prints I was turned off and put them in a box in a dark corner of the celler. I guess I should chill out on this.

Gels get these people Gels.  that would help  LOL

I am in a weird mood today  maybe its cause I called in sick to use up my sick days and have nothing constructive to do  LOL

Dec 05 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

darkman_photo

Miami, Arizona, US

sheets can be cool as long as they dont look like wronkled bedsheets...

Dec 05 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Wrinkled bed sheets dont' scream GWC, they scream beginner. In fact, when I first started, I used "wrinkled" bed sheets as a background (to use as white balance and later white out on photoshop) and I'm female with no intentions of anything with the models lol.

Dec 05 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If you know how to blow them out, then using a wrinkled old bedsheet as a backdrop might not be as amateur as you might think. Sure, the set doesn't look impressive to the model, but...

These were shot against a wrinkled bedsheet:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061021/22/453ae27323438.jpg

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060625/02/449e402315c1f.jpg

Dec 05 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Using a wrinkled sheet is fine just as long as the model is on them.

Dec 05 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

gdsandy wrote:
Wronkled (sic).

We all start somewhere and maybe once they understand DoF and moving the model away from the background or even the "steam" bitton on the iron they will improve.  We are all improving all of the time.  Few people are able to entirely visualise the outcome of each shutter release.  That is why they have stylists and assistants.

Wronkled sheets screams beginner with nobody helping rather than GWC.

What he said. I even see quality commercial backgrounds being used badly to get cheap-looking results. It's more about artistic creativity, mastery of technique and understanding the capabilities and limitations of the equipment and how to take advantage of them than about the intrinsic quality of "accessories". We've all seen beautiful work with improvised materials and crap done with the best equipment.

Dec 05 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

If you leave it there and put some light behind it to create some lame effect then yeah, you're a GWC.

If you're creative enough so that it doesn't appear as a white crinkled bedsheet, or it's worked into the shot, then no, you shouldn't be called a GWC just because you used that.

Dec 05 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

If the end result is good photography, does it really matter?
Some of my work has been done against, well, interesting backdrops...
Never underestimate a creative mind.

Rich

Dec 05 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

Good points all

Now I must un-narrow my mind  LOL

oh hey thats my 100th post

Dec 05 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
If you're creative enough so that it doesn't appear as a white crinkled bedsheet, or it's worked into the shot, then no, you shouldn't be called a GWC just because you used that.

Right on... but I think bedsheets are alittle too small... I use white muslin... and of course... TAKE THE WRINKLES OUT... check the avatar... wink

Dec 05 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I used to use them and honestly still use them on rare occasions.  Easy to edit and make look nice, easy to bump up exposure for hi-key work, easy to work with.. easy to extract a model and put her in another scene for a photoshop.       But to leave them as is... eh... here is one... from october 2005 with my P&S camera!

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060919/08/450feea414b03.jpg

Dec 05 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

David Scott wrote:
I used to use them and honestly still use them on rare occasions.  Easy to edit and make look nice, easy to bump up exposure for hi-key work, easy to work with.. easy to extract a model and put her in another scene for a photoshop.       But to leave them as is... eh... here is one... from october 2005 with my P&S camera!

It looks like it started out ironed and you have draped it 

some I see look like they have been in a ball for weeks then tacked to the wall flat and uninteresting. Light spill for the main highlights the wrinkles and and usually there is a shadow distracting from instead of adding to the image.  because the model is 7 to 10 inches away from it.

Dec 05 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I have used wrinkled bedsheets on both my photographer port and my model port. If you think that D. Brian Nelson is a GWC, I must admit I would find that funny. If they are a deliberate part of the atmosphere, I don't have a problem with them.

Dec 05 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Select Models wrote:

Right on... but I think bedsheets are alittle too small... I use white muslin... and of course... TAKE THE WRINKLES OUT... check the avatar... wink

And that's a very clean and hot look. That's the RIGHT way to do it.

Dec 05 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

haha, the wronkled bed sheet as Art.  I did this a lot when I was using myself a the subject.  I used a black sheet though and the lighting I was using just made it look like a solid black background.
I say anything is fair game as a background.  Be creative, use it in a different way or maybe just have fun with it.  If you're doing a simple headshot you could probably pull it off quite well though.  Iron the darn thing, it doesn't have to be wronkled.

Dec 05 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

David Scott wrote:

I know you didn't ask for an opinion, but since you put your work out here regarding this subject...

I don't like this shot. What is the point of laying her on that sheet? Why not throw her onto seamless if you want a white background? Or a bed if you want that glamour look?

To me, she's laying on a floot with a crinkled bed sheet.

Dec 05 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

...as long as they don't have stains(coffee stains, right?) on them, they can work sometimes...

Dec 05 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Vidmandave wrote:

It looks like it started out ironed and you have draped it 

some I see look like they have been in a ball for weeks then tacked to the wall flat and uninteresting. Light spill for the main highlights the wrinkles and and usually there is a shadow distracting from instead of adding to the image.  because the model is 7 to 10 inches away from it.

Yeah I think that's what I did.. I know it was draped.. actually two sheets.  I didnt have much room to work with and had too much in the background that was disctracting and would have been hard for me (at the time) to edit out.  I was just starting photography seriously around this time so I was still learning a lot about lighting and such.  Ah, good times lol

Dec 05 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Daniela V wrote:
I know you didn't ask for an opinion, but since you put your work out here regarding this subject...

I don't like this shot. What is the point of laying her on that sheet? Why not throw her onto seamless if you want a white background? Or a bed if you want that glamour look?

To me, she's laying on a floot with a crinkled bed sheet.

Thanks for the opinion I didn't ask for. smile    It's a picture of using wronkled sheets back when I was first starting out.  As in the post I just did, I was still learning about stuff.   I don't use sheets too much anymore, I actually don't even remember the last time I used one as a backdrop.  I did use one so I could bounce some light off it for my flash, though smile   

Probably looks like she is laying on a sheet because she is.    But I doubt you'd have been able to tell if it was a bedsheet specifically or if it is something else. What's the point?  I could ask the same about many pictures of the point of this or that as opposed to soemthing else.   Why not seamless? Simple: I didn't have it.  smile

Dec 05 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

I've only used white bed sheets once, and I used a pair of them. Somehow, I don't think this is really the effect you are criticizing:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060804/13/44d38e64eff1d_m.jpg Click the thumbnail, to view the full-size image.

Most people really seem to like that image, and I'm happy with it as well.

I normally use a large professional painted-muslin background, but decided to use white sheets for this one image. The end result is a very intimate portrait.

It's not what your gear is, but what you do with it that matters most.

Dec 05 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Vidmandave wrote:

Great pictures scream.  They will not be ignored.  There are many ways to make great images.
Bad pictures mumble, part of the background noise of digestion.  There are many, many ways to make bad pictures.
Contemplating the common elements of great images may be a better use of time than considering the infinite possibilities for failure.

Dec 05 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Glen Berry wrote:
It's not what your gear is, but what you do with it that matters most.

Bingo!
You can have all the expensive equipment in the world and still find B&H doesnt sell Creativity and a good eye

Dec 05 06 11:33 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Wronkled bedsheets=yuck!

Dec 05 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

SickShooter wrote:
Wronkled bedsheets=yuck!

Really? The one you're laying on, in this image from your own portfolio, doesn't look so bad...  smile

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061007/14/452801bf09dff.jpg

Just kidding a little...   smile

take care,
Glen

Dec 05 06 11:48 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

David Scott wrote:

Thanks for the opinion I didn't ask for. smile    It's a picture of using wronkled sheets back when I was first starting out.  As in the post I just did, I was still learning about stuff.   I don't use sheets too much anymore, I actually don't even remember the last time I used one as a backdrop.  I did use one so I could bounce some light off it for my flash, though smile   

Probably looks like she is laying on a sheet because she is.    But I doubt you'd have been able to tell if it was a bedsheet specifically or if it is something else. What's the point?  I could ask the same about many pictures of the point of this or that as opposed to soemthing else.   Why not seamless? Simple: I didn't have it.  smile

I think the lesson to be learned here is that even if you're starting out, don't use crinkled bed sheets. 1. they have GWC written all over them and 2. you're just starting out, so you don't know how to use them yet.

Bedsheets are not an alternative to seamless if you're just going to throw them there, is my point. If you can be creative, fine, if not...go outside...shoot location- studio shots get dull after awhile anyway.

Dec 05 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

This one had a bedsheet as a backdrop and I'm proud to admit it !!!
(although it wasn't wronkled!!!!)

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/Jonroberts/_MG_6677.jpg

www.jonroberts.co.uk

Dec 05 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Make sure you use the side with out stains.......otherwise I dont have a problem with them.......

Dec 05 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Please forgive me father, for I have wronkled.

https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061204/11/4574609e3dfd9.jpg

Dec 05 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Jphoto wrote:
Please forgive me father, for I have wronkled.

https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061204/11/4574609e3dfd9.jpg

This is different. You're USING it in the image.

That's the point everyone is trying to make. If you can use it fine. If you hang it up and use it as a backdrop and it's CLEARLY a bed sheet, it's hideous.

ps- cute image- but what's with the granny panties?

Dec 05 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daniela V wrote:
ps- cute image- but what's with the granny panties?

Yeah them drawers are CLEARLY plus sized period panties.

Dec 05 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

she's supposed to be getting ready to sleep, not being a seductress..hehe:)

Dec 05 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Daniela V wrote:
I think the lesson to be learned here is that even if you're starting out, don't use crinkled bed sheets. 1. they have GWC written all over them and 2. you're just starting out, so you don't know how to use them yet.

Bedsheets are not an alternative to seamless if you're just going to throw them there, is my point. If you can be creative, fine, if not...go outside...shoot location- studio shots get dull after awhile anyway.

Thanks for sharing. tongue

Dec 05 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

This is another bedsheet photo althought, it's black, not white, and honestly it's one of my favorites.  Again, early days.. used it as a backdrop, never used this photo on my port but I still like it a lot.  Planning ot use it as background on my website.   Looks good on there.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/dscottphotography/Sara/100_0738.jpg

Dec 05 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

doesn't it depend on the thread count?

Dec 05 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Wet Ltd

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh Gosh,,,now there's going to be math...I'm screwed!!

If it adds to the total atmosphere of the pic I say what the heck

Dec 05 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

BCPrints

Brookfield, Illinois, US

shoot now i am a GWC..
as i do use sheets and my cat does sleep on them and not only do they have wrinkles but if you blow it up just right, you may be able to see cat hair.. oh shoot.
Well, i let them know from the start i aint no pro.  smile

"all i want for christmas is my own studio..my own studio..my own studio.."

Dec 05 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Back in the days when MM started, there was a classic thread where some newbie photographer  was complaining that hew was not getting any respect. 

...then it was noticed that he was using a stained sheet for a backdrop in his pictures!

It was the wildest thread ever (until the Urheartsdesire episode last week).

Dec 05 06 12:34 pm Link