Forums > General Industry > wrinkled white sheets as background

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ahh! We've cycled back around to this topic again, eh? smile

Although I've never actually used bedsheets specifically, I too am guilty of the wronkled up fabric shot on occasion...

18+

Dec 05 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Dec 05 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Ransom J wrote:

Yeah them drawers are CLEARLY plus sized period panties.

hey there. i've been looking for you today.

Dec 05 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

41?

Dec 05 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Nothing wrong with the sheets...just as long as I can see...
https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1277/4350369/11554423/209836229.jpg

Dec 05 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

My mom pitched the idea of using bed sheets as the backdrop this weekend to me instead of the paper. Tsk tsk. lol

Dec 05 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daniela V wrote:

hey there. i've been looking for you today.

Well I'm heeerrrreeee!

Dec 05 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SickShooter wrote:
41?

It's a Sooper Seekrit Codeword. wink

Dec 05 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As long as you can make a good photograph, it doesn't matter what you have used to make it and how you have made it.
(while the process is part of creation and final result usually.)

and "good" depends on you....what are the standards for you as a photographer/model/artist?

Using bed Sheets (wrinkled or not), point and shoot camera or disposable and all the elements which being considered cliché here could be fun and creative and produce good to great images too.

Usually it's the photographer who can make it or break it.

On an opposite note...no $22000 camera and top of the line equipments can guarantee good images either...even if you know how to use them just perfect.

Photography starts with concept(moment), composition and appreciating the light (or lighting)...the rest comes after that.

Stop stereo typing things and try to find your own path in any visual art (or anything really) that you desire to give it a shot.

Cheers

Wolf

(I don't get involved in these treads usually...so I don't use a one liner to make a joke either, while I can appreciate them in this situation!)

Dec 05 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

funny enough if  you use your light in a certain way n shoot at f16 your wronkled sheet would look seemless.
just the same as using a beige or off white wall as a background enough light+f-stop+ap= white background... truth is its not so much about how u get there... its just getting there

Dec 05 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

The problem with wronkled drappy sheets is that if you want the seemless look you have to throw a lot of light on the background in comparison to the subject.  This creates a situation ripe for flare on the subject which is not good.  I've tried the wronkled white sheet before, it's no good, but other colors I'll do.
-James

Dec 05 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Virtually all my work is shot against sheets, but black, not white.  (I use paper for white.)  Actually, I use sheeting material, not sheets (that means it came off a giant roll at a fabric store and doesn't have hems) and it is a fraction of the cost of "photographic" backdrops.  If they are not sufficiently opaque, double them.  I may be a bad photographer but I have been at it for over 30 years so I am not a beginning photographer.

Dec 05 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Night Owl Photography

Atkinson, Illinois, US

John Jebbia wrote:
If you know how to blow them out, then using a wrinkled old bedsheet as a backdrop might not be as amateur as you might think. Sure, the set doesn't look impressive to the model, but...

These were shot against a wrinkled bedsheet:
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061021/22/453ae27323438.jpg

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060625/02/449e402315c1f.jpg

That IS pretty hot.  When you say blow them out, do you mean just overexposing them to death, and maybe bluring them?

Dec 05 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Laying in a bed with rumpled bedsheets is WORLDS different than posing in front of a wrinkled (wronkled! :p) bedsheet tacked to the wall.  I find it absurd that people even compare the two.  Totally different.  Even if the model is not technically on a bed, if the sheets are arranged to give that impression (usually the model is nude or in lingerie of some sort), it seems odd to compare that to a model, fully clothed, posed stiffly in front of a sheet the photographer just ripped off the guest bed 10 minutes ago.

Some people say wrinkled white bedsheets are easy to edit out... well, that depends on your lighting and white balance, I would think, unless you want to blow out the contrast in post-prod (which, unless you're masking or something, will probably make the model's skin tones look weird and the texture greasy/shiny).  I think there is at least one example of that in this thread.

Hell, I'm so anal about this sort of thing that if I get photos back from a photographer, and the paper backdrop they used has any dimples or creases in it, I will use the heal/bandaid tool to Photoshop those out.  They're distracting.

Darker sheets are probably easier to work with, if you can make your work space dark enough.  I see some good examples of that in this thread.

I know paper can be expensive and a pain to work with if you don't have the right setup.  But I don't think it's that hard to go down to JoAnne's (or whatever fabric store) and pick up a few yards of something nice (possibly even texture-wrinkled! :p) to use as a backdrop instead of the sheets off the guest bed...

smile

Dec 05 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

I wish I could post some of the shots that spured me into posting this.

Its the really amatuer looking ones that disturb me. The sheet just thrown up to cover the motel wall art thats screwed to the wall kinda thing.

I geuss I need to think out a grip more before I post LOL

Dec 05 06 01:51 pm Link