Forums > General Industry > Avatars with photographers holding a camera

Model

Nova

Hermitage, Arkansas, US

There is an AMAZING photographer from my state who often displays his work as self-portrature....though he's not holding a camera.... and the latest awesome photog I have worked with is writing a book about cancer (to help fund the cancer society) and the back of the book will have a photo of himself holding his camera. I think it's quite beautiful and it shows off his profession.

Dec 06 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Newzpix wrote:

Not really a cliche Kasmia. A model's work is a photo of herself. The shooter's work is NOT a photo of himself.

I've been a working photojournalist for 26 years and taught at the Corcoran College of Art. Not once have I seen a photojournalist/fine art photographer use a photo of themselves to promote their work.

never seen David Bailey then?

Dec 06 06 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I can't believe this is actually a point of discussion in the negative.

Does it really matter? If a photographer wants a picture of him/herself as their avatar, that's their prerogative. I take pictures of myself all the time. No, I don;t have any on my photographer port here on MM, but that's my choice.

Why can't we all look at the bright side of everything? Why must it all be so negative?

I'm going back to my life that is not waiting for me.

I agree.

And if I looked like you, I would take pictures of myself all day long.

Dec 06 06 05:37 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Geee.....I guess this was the wrong time to put my photo up.

But who am I to tell my wife I won't be using the shot she took of me with her brand new Canon P&S camera? I don't have the nerve, would you?

At any rate it seems that everytime I contact someone they ask what I look like. This should pretty much put that to rest. Only wonder why they care what I look like? I'm a photographer not a model!

Dec 06 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Ego?

Dec 06 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

I've thought about doing this myself (sans camera) as I have seen the random post here and there where models have said they like to know who they are going to be working with. But then that takes up ONE picture space where I could show off my better work. ;D

They can always go to my myspace if they they want to see me I guess.

Dec 06 06 11:08 am Link

Body Painter

Roustan

Redondo Beach, California, US

Well. i just gotta say, I don't care what avatar a photographer uses, but I do tend to click more on the ones that show a stunning example of his/her work, typically not the self portrait. ESPECIALLY when i am browsing a list of a trillion photographers.

So, I suppose, if you do need to do a self portrait holding a camera, which IS pretty cliche, then you should definitely try to step it up and do something creative with it.

i am more interested in finding photographers that show good composition, lighting, color and a real successful display of the subject. If I can see that in the avatar, then that's all that's important to me.

Also, I don't need a pic of the photographer to show me that it's a photographer. I think the word "photographer" under the avi does the job quite well wink

Dec 06 06 04:06 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Hey, I LIKE UdoR's avatar!! smileP

Dec 06 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brilliant Exposure

Plymouth, Michigan, US

My avitar is also on my buisness card. No camera though.

Dec 06 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

I think I'd like to use Udor's photo on my myspace page, if that's ok smile..... nevermind why photographers take a self portrait, how about the people like me who use other self portraits of photographers as their own?

Dec 06 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

I might ad that my avatar is a self portrait of myself using my technique that I stated in my last reply, except it's not a self portrait, and I was holding the camera

Dec 06 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

SculptedLife wrote:
Now, I think for my next avitar, I will need a photographer to shoot me while...

Hey-All YOU need to do is have one of your lifecasting friends do something of you-and show the finished product. WI Lifecaster has his chest in bronze, although it isn't his avatar.

Dec 06 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

I would just feel weird using a model picture - to me, it's a picture of an individual, not just "a model" and it feels like I'm pretending to be that person.  I also have this image of myself scrolling past something I wrote and saying "Hey, Sarah joined the forum!" and then realizing it was just me!

At the time I set up this account I didn't have a self portrait handy, and people seem to like the bird OK, so why not?

Dec 06 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

I have one picture of me in my gallery here, but never as my avatar.  We had a meet-up in Chicago a long while back and a few models mentioned that it would be nice to see photos of some of the photographers to recognise us when we show up.

Ever since then I've included one pic of me-- usually without my camera, but often I'm holding a light-meter because the shots are usually out-takes while I'm checking the light for something else. 

I think its nice to see who you're dealing with in these situations. 

-- Jeffrey

Dec 07 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

I have a picture of myself holding my hat.  Should I use THAT as my avatar?  I'm also holding the release cable, 'cause it's a self-inflicted wound, er, picture.

Dec 07 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Len Cook Photographer wrote:
I have a picture of myself holding my hat.  Should I use THAT as my avatar?  I'm also holding the release cable, 'cause it's a self-inflicted wound, er, picture.

Yeah, we want to see that, Len!

Is it an "18+" shot?

Dec 07 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Newzpix wrote:
What's up with certain photographer's using an image of themselves holding a camera as their avatar????

Be grateful they are not doing nudes of themselves holding a camera. wink

Dec 07 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Photo-op

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

I find it just polite to show a person who they are talking to and who is talking to them.
There is also the factor if you only saw my models pics would you know me if you ran into me in a bar?
But there is no camera in my picture.

Dec 07 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Ummm... it relates who they are with the tool of their trade!

Dec 07 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

I personally enjoy seeing the images of the photographers with or without the camera. I admit that with the camera is better. I like it!!! I guess I'm pretty much about let other people do what they want and unless they are actually interfering with my world leave them alone and let them enjoy their world.  Like anything in life (or especially here on MM)  if I run across something or someONE I find distasteful I move along and worry over it. 

ak68

Dec 07 06 10:22 pm Link