Forums > General Industry > Avatars with photographers holding a camera

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

On my main page, I have a photo of me and the crew basically making fun of ourselves (if you guys are interested in checking that out, than click on avatar lol)

Prior to those poses, however, I had a different one planned for me that actually involved a modern (I say modern because the one I eventually opted for is old-school) camera with a loooong lens and in my shot I was suposed to be infatuated with it.

Well...turns out pictures of me kissing my camera with the loooong lens became waaay too suggestive for me to post once I realized what it was I looked like lol.

Dec 05 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Johns Photoart wrote:
Bottom line- who gives a fuck??? You don't like how someone else promotes their work? La-De-Da -Look the other way! People need to lighten up and discus issues worth the time- this isn't one of them!

guy has 30 posts..

Dec 05 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Newzpix wrote:
What's up with certain photographer's using an image of themselves holding a camera as their avatar????

Well... people keep asking, "What do you look like?"
As if the photographer's looks have anything to do with the final images!

Rich

Dec 05 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Hey for my new avatar, I'm looking to take a self-pic with my ca-- uh... never mind.

Dec 05 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

RED Photographic wrote:

Aside from the odd one or two ( example above)...

If you walked past your local clothes store and you saw only the staff dressed in their uniforms standing in the shop window display would it encourage you to go in and buy clothes?  Of course not, that why they have mannequins dressed in the stuff the store is trying to sell.

If you are vain enough to need to put a picture of yourself up somewhere, put it in your profile, and leave your portfolio, and your avatar, to showcase your work.

Mannequins are easier to display and post and you don't have to pay them, not to mention you can have just a torso... to do that to an employee is inhuman!  wink

Employees wander around selling ya stuff.  get it right  wink  lol

Dec 05 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

The Warlock

Gosh, looks like a screwed up again with my choice of avatar!!

Well at least the models know it's me when they get to my studio.........not noticed that it relaxes them tho!

Dec 05 06 11:36 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

SculptedLife wrote:
Now, I think for my next avitar, I will need a photographer to shoot me while someone pours a bucket of mold making gunk over my head.  That would be a cool shot and would definitely be something memorable for my avitar.  Any volunteers?

i'll totally help you out when i'm there wink

Dec 05 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I have a self-photo but not with my camera in it.  That feels a little too myspace to me unless I think of some super creative idea smile

Dec 05 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Newzpix wrote:
What's up with certain photographer's using an image of themselves holding a camera as their avatar????

I could put a pic of my butt... is that OK.

Dec 05 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I could put a pic of my butt... is that OK.

i did that, people thought i looked better

Dec 05 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

LOL...I'll tell ya...you guys will argue about ANYTHING!!!!

Dec 05 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

I don't even own the camera anymore...Fixed it ran a few rolls through it, got offer, sold it.  Still like the picture however.

Dec 05 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

fit_60

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

3rd Floor Photography wrote:
On my main page, I have a photo of me and the crew basically making fun of ourselves (if you guys are interested in checking that out, than click on avatar lol)

Prior to those poses, however, I had a different one planned for me that actually involved a modern (I say modern because the one I eventually opted for is old-school) camera with a loooong lens and in my shot I was suposed to be infatuated with it.

Well...turns out pictures of me kissing my camera with the loooong lens became waaay too suggestive for me to post once I realized what it was I looked like lol.

Dec 05 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

fit_60

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

fit_50 wrote:

I check out the photo, and it effectively portrays the TEAM as a team.

Dec 05 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

James Rich FBM

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think most photographers only place themselves on the avatar with their camera, so that the model or agent can have a idea of who their dealing with.  If the port was only of the photographer that would be an issue but one or two on the page gives it character.  I have also used my son so that people can get a feel for me.

Dec 05 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I don't know if you guys noticed, but the chick who asked the question hasn't come back to the thread in a long time.

Dec 05 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Yeah!  What's with all these avatars of photogs using photoshop???

It's crazy!

Dec 05 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

My pic of me holding mah baby is my most commented on and second most viewed.  Funny, I started the session holding a camera.  Never used those pics tho.

Dec 05 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the chick who asked the question hasn't come back to the thread in a long time.

it's a man baby..

https://av.modelmayhem.com/avatars/64179_t.jpg

Newzpix
Male

which is a good reason to use your own picture as an avatar..

Dec 05 06 01:42 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

well I guess one thing we can tell by all the people responding is that it isn't very original. Wouldn't a photographer want a photograph that is more original and stands out as solely their own? or do you just not care because nearly everything has been done before and it's the way that you do it that counts? thoughts?

Dec 05 06 01:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Toria wrote:
LOL...I'll tell ya...you guys will argue about ANYTHING!!!!

We complain about everything too.   My ice cream was cold today. Dangit!

Dec 05 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

RoadRunner Photography

Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, US

KathyJean wrote:
Partial qutoe from brian Diaz:  Avatars aren't necessarily used to represent ones work.  On MM and many other sites, avatars are used to represent the person behind the profile.

Absolutely!  Thanks for making this point.  It's nice to have a business website and maintain listings at portfolio websites like MM and others.

DITTO!

Dec 05 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

RoadRunner Photography

Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania, US

Althoug MM keeps changing my avatar back from my chosen one!   LOL

Dec 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Newzpix wrote:

Isn`t this like wondering why a model would have a photograph of herself modeling as her avatar?

Dec 05 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

Newzpix wrote:
Not really a cliche Kasmia. A model's work is a photo of herself. The shooter's work is NOT a photo of himself.

I've been a working photojournalist for 26 years and taught at the Corcoran College of Art. Not once have I seen a photojournalist/fine art photographer use a photo of themselves to promote their work.

I think a couple of people are missing the point here.  Although the user ultimately has the choice about HOW to use it, I believe the avatar is supposed to be strong enough to draw attention to the port (an advantage)

Well the avatars might not be a promotional item. Perhaps they do that just to get a face behind the name/alias?

Although I can see how that's not really beneficial with regards to getting work..

Dec 05 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I don't see any problem with that. If anything, the model knows who they're working with, and won't get freaked out. I read quite a few stories on these forums about models taking one look at a photographer and leaving for a variety of reasons: race, weight, appearance, etc.

https://myspace-274.vo.llnwd.net/00955/47/26/955306274_l.jpg

Philip Warner/Lithium Picnic

I kind of like the self portraits.

-Monica

Dec 05 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

little apple blossom wrote:
I have wondered the same thing, do they have a secret model wannabe bone somewhere in their body?

Why shouldn't they?  Since internet modeling site are so popular it seems that just about anyone can be a model.

Dec 05 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Is this what your talking about?https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1277/4350369/11554423/209836229.jpgIts my GWC.  It was a joke and it sticks around just for any time GWC needs to show up...

Dec 05 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
Is this what your talking about?https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1277/4350369/11554423/209836229.jpgIts my GWC.  It was a joke and it sticks around just for any time GWC needs to show up...

AAAAGH!!!!

GIve me a heart attack why don't you

Dec 05 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Newzpix wrote:

For the visual aspect of open communication with other people.  Our ports are here for showing off our work.  An avatar is a visual representation of the person, typically used for posting in forums and networking.  In a networking setting, that visual aspect often is the key to establishing a new personal relationship, hence you post a photo of yourself so prospective networkers can make the visual association.

Dec 05 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:

For the visual aspect of open communication with other people.  Our ports are here for showing off our work.  An avatar is a visual representation of the person, typically used for posting in forums and networking.  In a networking setting, that visual aspect often is the key to establishing a new personal relationship, hence you post a photo of yourself so prospective networkers can make the visual association.

This makes good sense. I posed a question but those of you with thin skin took it as a negative statement. Perhaps it was. Yeah, it was. But there have been some good arguments made for their use.

Dec 05 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I'm that handsome and I don't wanna scare anybody with a picture of mine. That's why I don't use mine as an avatar.

Dec 05 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

THE BARRON

Newzpix wrote:

Not really a cliche Kasmia. A model's work is a photo of herself. The shooter's work is NOT a photo of himself.

I've been a working photojournalist for 26 years and taught at the Corcoran College of Art. Not once have I seen a photojournalist/fine art photographer use a photo of themselves to promote their work.

CINDY SHERMAN, SAMUEL FOSSO, DAVID HOCKNEY AND LUCAS SAMARAS JUST TO NAME A FEW?????????

Dec 05 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Red House Pacific

Chula Vista, California, US

I wanted to share my portrait as well...

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/restless-souls/ThePhotog.jpg

Dec 05 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Newzpix wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:
Avatars aren't necessarily used to represent ones work.  On MM and many other sites, avatars are used to represent the person behind the profile.

Newzpix wrote:
You make a solid point here Brian.

That was my reasoning too: the avatar represents me, the portfolio shows my work.

Dec 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Doug Vosler wrote:

Why shouldn't they?  Since internet modeling site are so popular it seems that just about anyone can be a model.

I didn't say they shouldn't. Just a question.

Dec 05 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Newzpix wrote:
This makes good sense.

Kind of like how one person here assumed you were female based solely on your avatar (who is absolutely lovely by the way).

Dec 05 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Newzpix wrote:
Hi Mike, we've talking quite a bit in the past about divorce, working thru the pain, etc.

It appears I've made an ass of myself here tonight. I just get tired of seeing avatars with shooters holding their camera as if it's some macho, cool, look at me, 1955 ad for their studio.

As for photos of oneself, I covered the White House for ten years and covered news in 29 countries...it would be too easy to show a photo of myself with someone or some event that is pretty cool.

I thought we were here to showcase OUR WORK.

Anyhow, sorry I started this.

In art i see ALL my images as somewhat self portrait oriented. It's a reflection of how I feel about or what i think about the person I'm shooting. Actual self portraits are used (by me anyway) as a check on where I am and what I'm doing..especially seen in sequence over years. But a plus here is showing the model what we look like. Could instill confidence or add an air of familiarity. Could cause them to run for the hills to I guess.
PPS No you haven't made and ass of yourself either!

Dec 05 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Newzpix wrote:

I used to have a pic of me up on my OMP page, and models enthusiastically told me they appreciated being able to get an advance look at who they would be shooting with.  As for holding the camera, why not?  If you took a picture of a fireman, you wouldn't show him fishing, would you?

Dec 05 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:
As for holding the camera, why not?  If you took a picture of a fireman, you wouldn't show him fishing, would you?

Yup, I would expect a picture of him--right out there lighting fires.... wink

Dec 06 06 12:05 am Link