Forums > General Industry > Avatars with photographers holding a camera

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

What's up with certain photographer's using an image of themselves holding a camera as their avatar????

Dec 05 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Newzpix wrote:
What's up with certain photographer's using an image of themselves holding a camera as their avatar????

Why not?

Whats with models having photos of themselves in their avatar, how cliche!

Dec 05 06 12:10 am Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I have wondered the same thing, do they have a secret model wannabe bone somewhere in their body?

Dec 05 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Kasmia wrote:
Why not?

Whats with models having photos of themselves in their avatar, how cliche!

Not really a cliche Kasmia. A model's work is a photo of herself. The shooter's work is NOT a photo of himself.

I've been a working photojournalist for 26 years and taught at the Corcoran College of Art. Not once have I seen a photojournalist/fine art photographer use a photo of themselves to promote their work.

Dec 05 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Newzpix wrote:

Not really a cliche Kasmia. A model's work is a photo of herself. The shooter's work is NOT a photo of himself.

I've been a working photojournalist for 26 years and taught at the Corcoran College of Art. Not once have I seen a photojournalist/fine art photographer use a photo of themselves to promote their work.

You've never seen a fine art photographer who was into self-portraiture? wink

Avatars aren't necessarily used to represent ones work.  On MM and many other sites, avatars are used to represent the person behind the profile.

However, I do believe that a self-portrait can be a fabulous way to represent oneself and one's work.

Dec 05 06 12:23 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i love seeing them 
and who we are threading to

they see us!

Dec 05 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

The Photo of me holding camera is my most viewed photo!!

Kinda Sucks dont it!!

(:--------

Hj

Dec 05 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Of course I have. I've even made some and required my students to produce them. But as self-promotion, not a professional thing to do in the pj world.

Dec 05 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Avatars aren't necessarily used to represent ones work.  On MM and many other sites, avatars are used to represent the person behind the profile.

You make a solid point here Brian.

Dec 05 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Newzpix wrote:

Of course I have. I've even made some and required my student to produce them.

But this is not a self-portrait site and photographers are not shooting them here.

I have a couple up right now. My favorite Self portrait is https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1063025
Mike

PS how about one holding a big lizard? http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/ … nSpot1.jpg

Dec 05 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Newzpix

Manassas, Georgia, US

Mike Walker wrote:
I have a couple up right now. My favorite Self portrait is https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1063025
Mike

PS how about one holding a big lizard? http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/ … nSpot1.jpg

Hi Mike, we've talking quite a bit in the past about divorce, working thru the pain, etc.

It appears I've made an ass of myself here tonight. I just get tired of seeing avatars with shooters holding their camera as if it's some macho, cool, look at me, 1955 ad for their studio.

As for photos of oneself, I covered the White House for ten years and covered news in 29 countries...it would be too easy to show a photo of myself with someone or some event that is pretty cool.

I thought we were here to showcase OUR WORK.

Anyhow, sorry I started this.

Dec 05 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i go along with the idea that an avatar is like a snapshot of some archetype the person has,

myself?, i put up the most normal looking picture i have of myself because i view myself as a fairly normal guy..

plus, since models should feel relaxed during a shoot i let them know who they are going to meet..

Dec 05 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Overdone just like angel wings.  Time for photographers to more be creative with self portraits.

Dec 05 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Newzpix wrote:
It appears I've made an ass of myself here tonight. I just get tired of seeing avatars with shooters holding their camera as if it's some macho, cool, look at me, 1955 ad for their studio.

I do defend self portraits, but I also agree with you on this point.  I like a touch more creativity.  Here's my self-portrait with camera in the mirror shot:

https://www.briandiazphotography.com/bd3.jpg

Dec 05 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Mike Walker wrote:
Mike

Would that be a nile water monitor? Very nice lizard; I had a savannah monitor some years ago named Ludvig (monitors seem to do best with German names; I have no idea why). At any rate -- very nice self portraits!

As for me -- I will never have a self-portrait as my avatar. I don't want to scare off any model that might want to work with me.

wink

I do have a photo of me on my main page, though. It tends to get overlooked for some reason.

Dec 05 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Newzpix wrote:

Interesting thought you've posted.

When I first started posting on model/photographer forums, I couldn't get used to the idea of someone's avatar NOT being a representation of themselves.

I play the guitar... and on the guitar forums that I used to be on,  my avatar was either ME or ME and my guitar, or just my GUITAR (which was kinda unique, but I sold it for a Sigma EF-500 DG Super and an umbrella.)

I own a business, and on the forums for the industry I'm in, my avatar is either of ME or my company logo.

I don't use a pic of myself as my avatar here though... 'when in Rome' and all that....  but at first it DID feel weird.  Now I understand that a model doesn't care what I look like... and holding the camera as a phallic symbol IS just plain silly.

I agree with you.

But WAIT.... I used to have a self-portriat on my gallery, and one (ONLY one) model commented that at least she could see that I looked normal.

I'm still not sure that she was correct, mind you....

smile

Cheers,

Allen

Dec 05 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Howard Search

Brunswick, Maine, US

lotusphoto wrote:
plus, since models should feel relaxed during a shoot i let them know who they are going to meet..

Why not.  Good point.

Dec 05 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

Newzpix wrote:

It appears to me to be a common sense thing, if you see me you don't have to ask am I a photographer.  I have been approached by MM members that have seen my avatar.  I am not ashamed of who I am.  Is your avatar of you or someone else?

Dec 05 06 07:29 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I can't believe this is actually a point of discussion in the negative.

Does it really matter? If a photographer wants a picture of him/herself as their avatar, that's their prerogative. I take pictures of myself all the time. No, I don;t have any on my photographer port here on MM, but that's my choice.

Why can't we all look at the bright side of everything? Why must it all be so negative?

I'm going back to my life that is not waiting for me.

Dec 05 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

AllenA wrote:

Interesting thought you've posted.

When I first started posting on model/photographer forums, I couldn't get used to the idea of someone's avatar NOT being a representation of themselves.

I play the guitar... and on the guitar forums that I used to be on,  my avatar was either ME or ME and my guitar, or just my GUITAR (which was kinda unique, but I sold it for a Sigma EF-500 DG Super and an umbrella.)

I own a business, and on the forums for the industry I'm in, my avatar is either of ME or my company logo.

I don't use a pic of myself as my avatar here though... 'when in Rome' and all that....  but at first it DID feel weird.  Now I understand that a model doesn't care what I look like... and holding the camera as a phallic symbol IS just plain silly.

I agree with you.

But WAIT.... I used to have a self-portriat on my gallery, and one (ONLY one) model commented that at least she could see that I looked normal.

I'm still not sure that she was correct, mind you....

smile

Cheers,

Allen

Allen, if you think holding a camera is a phallic sypbol then you need to get some help.  I use my pic just so people know who they are meeting, it leaves no confusion.

Dec 05 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Rich Creative

Brighton, New York, US

I wish I could take credit as the model, but my avatar is model Bradley Allen.

Dec 05 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Newzpix wrote:

My self portrait IS part of my work... and I have it on my business cards and a similar one on my website.

If I am networking and hand out my cards... do you think that the recepient of my card remembers our conversation in four months when looking at a card with a pretty girl on it, or remembers me when he sees me on the card?

I have had great feedback.

During fashionweek etc., care to guess with how many business cards of colleagues I am ending up? And so do they... wanna bet that when you go over your cards in a few weeks down the road, you don't remember most of the people you are looking at the cards?

Guess what... they don't remember your face either.

Very simple... oh... and I have a thread for you to read:

What's with the "What's with the [...]?" threads?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=66782

All the best

UdoR

Dec 05 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

My avatar was shot by my oldest daughter, while we were out in the field together.

"My Profile" is to tell and show who I am, so to me it only make sense to include a photo of me....

Funny thing is it is the most viewed photo in my port and I am not even showing my man boobs...lol

Ron

Dec 05 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I can't believe this is actually a point of discussion in the negative.

Does it really matter? If a photographer wants a picture of him/herself as their avatar, that's their prerogative. I take pictures of myself all the time. No, I don;t have any on my photographer port here on MM, but that's my choice.

Why can't we all look at the bright side of everything? Why must it all be so negative?

I'm going back to my life that is not waiting for me.

some us still use film, photography for us means having a negative for everything we do, i can't imagine photography without negatives

Dec 05 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Ya know, I just don't get it...

First, there was a thread about someone whining because photogs use photos of a model and not themselves as an avatar.

Now, there's a thread questioning the use of the photog as the avatar.

Dec 05 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

This is my old photo of myself holding the camera..............
https://www.powellfulcreations.com/2004/Powell-Portrait-BW-1.jpg
by the way I'm working on a new self portrait of myself holding the camera....LOL

Dec 05 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

My self portrait IS part of my work... and I have it on my business cards and a similar one on my website.

If I am networking and hand out my cards... do you think that the recepient of my card remembers our conversation in four months when looking at a card with a pretty girl on it, or remembers me when he sees me on the card?

I have had great feedback.

During fashionweek etc., care to guess with how many business cards of colleagues I am ending up? And so do they... wanna bet that when you go over your cards in a few weeks down the road, you don't remember most of the people you are looking at the cards?

Guess what... they don't remember your face either.

UdoR

Actually, if you've ever done business in Europe you'll find that most Europeans have a photo on their business card. It's just good business.
I use a photo of myself because:
A. I used to do some modeling and I would again , if asked.
B. You'll know who you're talking to if we correspond.
C. If I'm corresponding with you, I've already checked out your work. Now I'd like to put a face on the name.
D. My avatar is just that... my proxy, my alias, a representation of me. I'm not a scantily clad hot chick (although sometimes i wish I was).

I completely agree with UdoR

Dec 05 06 08:02 am Link

Model

Shafs

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Newzpix wrote:

I kinda like thos ephotos. I think they're really cool!
smile

Dec 05 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/photomatt67/me1.jpg

Dec 05 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

lotusphoto wrote:

that's exactly what it is for.  A photographer knows what the model looks like and I used to use it as well to help make the model feel more at ease since there seems to be lots of concerns about GWCs.  We judge a model by their looks, why shouldn't a model do the same or take it into consideradition.

Dec 05 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

The clinic is closed

Akhiok, Alaska, US

All I can say is that there's a reason some of us stay behind the camera. I've had a few models ask me to send them my photo before the shoot they can see that I'm not covered in scales and blood, and that's not a problem. I only put my stupid face on my books because my publisher told me that it increases sales. If I thought infliciting  my big fat face on people would help my photo business, I'd do it. Until then, this freak will stay behind the curtain with the pickled punks.

Dec 05 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

V Powell wrote:
This is my old photo of myself holding the camera..............
https://www.powellfulcreations.com/2004/Powell-Portrait-BW-1.jpg
by the way I'm working on a new self portrait of myself holding the camera....LOL

Aside from the odd one or two ( example above)...

If you walked past your local clothes store and you saw only the staff dressed in their uniforms standing in the shop window display would it encourage you to go in and buy clothes?  Of course not, that why they have mannequins dressed in the stuff the store is trying to sell.

If you are vain enough to need to put a picture of yourself up somewhere, put it in your profile, and leave your portfolio, and your avatar, to showcase your work.

Dec 05 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

p.s. the whole camera thing is to show hey I'm the photographer not a model or one of the photographer's models. how else would you know?

Dec 05 06 08:09 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial qutoe from brian Diaz:  Avatars aren't necessarily used to represent ones work.  On MM and many other sites, avatars are used to represent the person behind the profile.

Absolutely!  Thanks for making this point.  It's nice to have a business website and maintain listings at portfolio websites like MM and others.

Dec 05 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Newzpix wrote:

< ------- Oh my, this is wrong?

There have been many threads regarding the use of an Avatar, whether it should represent a unique work which drives the viewer to their port or themselves as speaker in a forum.  An argument can be voiced for each.  In some cases, the more outrageous the comment proves to be just as effective to get the participants to view your port, pretty much proving you don't need a avatar at all.

Dec 05 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Jerry L Unger Photograp

Jonesboro, Arkansas, US

Paid a lot of money for the camera?
jerry

Dec 05 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

GRHorn wrote:

Allen, if you think holding a camera is a phallic sypbol then you need to get some help.  I use my pic just so people know who they are meeting, it leaves no confusion.

Oh, you minx!  Look at the sensual way you carry your gear around.... please shoot me with your big thang... please?

Dec 05 06 08:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Actually, seeing a photographers avi that is a self portrait with him/her holding their camera to their eye is a great way to learn a lot about a photographer.  For example, when the first time I saw Udor's avi I immediately presumed he was a professional with a camera and knew what he was doing.  That avi is a great shot.  The lighting is good, the highlights and the shadows are near perfection, and it appears a lot of thought went into making that picture as good as it is.

I seen other photographers self portrait avitars and they also tell a story. A relaxed picture of themselves is rather nice.  I presume it is them and I would hope that if I met them in person I would recognize them. 

On the other hand, as they saying goes, a picture says a thousand words.  When you see self portrait as an avitar, and it is obviously done using with bathroom mirror ( not cleaned) and the flash from the camera is the most obvious thing in the picture, that too tells a story.

Now, I think for my next avitar, I will need a photographer to shoot me while someone pours a bucket of mold making gunk over my head.  That would be a cool shot and would definitely be something memorable for my avitar.  Any volunteers?

Dec 05 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Johns Photoart

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Newzpix wrote:

Hi Mike, we've talking quite a bit in the past about divorce, working thru the pain, etc.

As for photos of oneself, I covered the White House for ten years and covered news in 29 countries...it would be too easy to show a photo of myself with someone or some event that is pretty cool.

Anyhow, sorry I started this.

Dec 05 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Johns Photoart

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Bottom line- who gives a fuck??? You don't like how someone else promotes their work? La-De-Da -Look the other way! People need to lighten up and discus issues worth the time- this isn't one of them!

Dec 05 06 09:06 am Link