Forums > General Industry > doesn't any one do this just because they love it

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I live in my dream jobs, but feel compelled to eat. Therefore, I must make them professions. (I am also a musician)
  The hard part is balancing the need for joy and the need for heat, finding a comfortable medium where I can be proud of my work, and still live reasonably well.
   I prefer this to whoring myself in a high paying job I hate, and eaking out small measures of pleasure in my leisure hours. (the word "whore" in this context applies only to me...)
   I work hard and I work a lot, but because I do what I love every 60 hour week still feels like a holiday.
  No... really... ;o)

Dec 01 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I like money if it's offered to me (I can always use it) but no, I do this out of love. If I wanted to make a living at it I'd be a wedding photographer or something..

Dec 01 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't think doing things for love and making money out of it are necessarily mutually exclusive.  I think those who make the most are also those who enjoy it the most.  You do the best job when you enjoy it most.

Jim Sinegal (CEO of  Costco) once told an audience that everyday to him is a vacation, and he works everyday.

Dec 01 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I do it to make money down the line.

Love can't be my driving force. I will not hurt, and scream, and beggar my future for love. I will do it for a career.

Dec 01 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Most of us start doing this becasue we love it,not for the money.However,there is a subtle pressure that you must become a "pro" or you are some how a loser,a failure if you don't.Saying a photographer or model is good because they make money at it does have a point,because if they weren't ,they would starve.However that does not automaticly mean an amuater is bad at what he/she does.It just means they don''t make money at it.
   As far as the business end ,at age 65,I have been there ,done that and have no interest in it any longer.

Dec 01 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rawhider Studios

Hillsboro, Texas, US

I shoot because I love it. Money is how you keep score.

Dec 01 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Rawhider Studios wrote:
I shoot because I love it. Money is how you keep score.

If money is how you keep score then I'm losing.

Dec 01 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

tjay

Redding, California, US

Yes, I love it -- and there's nothing wrong getting paid for what you love to do. Last time I checked I still have to pay for food, gas, etc. etc

Dec 01 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

michael vines wrote:
Money , money , money  the biggest issue of all time . does no one just want to do what they love because they love it ? I just want to shoot i don't care about getting paid , i just love to photograph beautiful things . at some point we make what we love into something that is just a big ol pain in the a#$ as every thing else in life ... why ?

Some of us weren't born wealthy.  I do it for fun right now, but I'd love to make a buck at it someday.

Dec 01 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Choose a career that you love to do and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I do it for love and the money.

Dec 01 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fun Stuff Photography

Fremont, California, US

Jessalyn wrote:

over 24 hours, hmm

If Jessalyn ever wanted to come to CA, I would make it happen. How many of you guys would like to shoot with her?

Dec 01 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Double Eagle Studios wrote:
Choose a career that you love to do and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I do it for love and the money.

A friend once gave me this piece of wisdom...

Do what you love...
   Make lots of money...
   Stay within the law.   Choose any two!

Dec 01 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

KINGDOM Photography

Richmond, California, US

Yes, I do.

Dec 01 06 09:41 pm Link

Model

MoonKatz

Cleburne, Texas, US

I do it because I love it. I'm the same way with my arts and my own photography, as well as volunteer fire fighting. I don't care if it's ever famous or makes me rich, because by doing it I *am* enriched. I have plenty of motivation to demand pay, but I somehow tend to get this massive guilt complex if I'm getting paid to have fun. Isn't work supposed to be tiring and life-sucking and dull?
Still, it is nice to eat and have gas to get back and forth to the 'fun' stuff right? No one can work for free all the time. Maybe it's just the spendy holiday season limiting the availability for TFP/CD work?

Dec 01 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

i do

Dec 01 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I do this because I enjoy it. I'm lacking about a foot of height to actually make it, so I'm torturing myself with law school instead and do shoots for fun.

Dec 01 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:

A friend once gave me this piece of wisdom...

Do what you love...
   Make lots of money...
   Stay within the law.   Choose any two!

Your friend was wrong, I choose all 3 and I have all 3.  However it does help when your wife runs a marketing firm.

Dec 01 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

michael vines wrote:
Money , money , money  the biggest issue of all time . does no one just want to do what they love because they love it ? I just want to shoot i don't care about getting paid , i just love to photograph beautiful things . at some point we make what we love into something that is just a big ol pain in the a#$ as every thing else in life ... why ?

Its real easy to take this kind of attitude when you dont have to put food on the table with your photography.

Do I love it? Hell yes! I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't.

Dec 01 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

It's nice to be offered payment, but I've turned it down. Just something I like about being an amateur.

"amateur" [French, from Latin amtor, lover, from amre, to love.]

But I do envy the pros.

Dec 01 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

michael vines wrote:

I do what I do because I love it.  And I show Ad agencies the pictures of what I love to do.  And they offer me a bunch of money to do the same for them. So I do.  And I put the money they pay me in the bank.  And I really love that too.

Shoot what you love.  Show people.  Don't turn away money.  Accept it, and keep on shooting what you love.  More will follow.

Dec 01 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Im the same way. Thats why im always hooting one of my sisters. I dont do strangers for free though.

Dec 01 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I do this only because I love it so much. I do take on the paid jobs for things like senior portraits or whatever a client needs. One recent job was photographing a '73 Barracuda for the owner trying to sell it (kick ass shots!).

However, the money I make from those jobs usually goes towards new equipment or a location or outfits for a model photo shoot. This is truly one of my favorite things to do... I love the anticipation when you're transferring photos to the computer. You have an idea of what they look like but you never really know for sure until you see them on the large screen.

I have a career outside of photography, so I don't have to worry about making a profit or at least breaking even. This gives me the luxury of spending a little more time with a model and getting a photograph of her that we both love.

Dec 02 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

love don't pay da bills.

Dec 02 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

glenn usdin wrote:
love don't pay da bills.

It does if your landlord, utilities payment processors and grocery store clerks are interested in you...

Dec 02 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

michael vines wrote:

I did when I first started. But then, I got to a point where I wanted to turn it into a living and make my living doing what I love. smile

Dec 02 06 08:22 am Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

ME!! I love it!! I get to be in movies cause I love it, and high school theatre was just plain fun!! -The only thing I missed out on was show choir-bummer!

Dec 02 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Dec 03 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

i shoot for fun, but i'm making pretty good indirect profit from it.

Dec 04 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

glenn usdin wrote:
love don't pay da bills.

But it creates the imagery that convinces the clients to give you the money that pays your bills.

Dec 04 06 02:07 am Link

Model

Tiia Secor

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jessalyn wrote:
I do it for the fun of it. If people wanna put me in magazines or give me money than that is just an extra perk.

Amen to that!

Dec 04 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Palo Alto, California, US

It's never been about the money!

Dec 04 06 04:00 am Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

I do PHOTOGRAPHY because i love it...I do MODELING because if i can get paid from something that i have an interest in.....huh WHY NOT?

Dec 04 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Yes.

I only aspired to make my living doing this when I realized that A) I simply could not do what I wanted to, the way I wanted to do it, in anything other than a professional environment (there is essentially no such thing as an amateur fashion photographer, to participate, you have to participate in the professional world), and B) that I didn't want to spend my life doing anything else.

Dec 04 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

fbimagery

New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada

I do this for the the love of photography...I like to take the shots, view others pictures as well...I do so much charity work, for everything from Calendar shots for cancer research, to publicity shots for upcoming events.....I do this because someday I will be gone forever, but somewhere will be a shot of mine making someone smile, or at least think..wow...nice shot.....I do this to prove that everyone is beautiful in thier own way, that others see things differently, and to prove you dont have to be nude to be sexy....It for the love of the art.......

Dec 04 06 04:17 am Link

Model

Holly Campbell

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I started out as the photographer. I never intended doing either for money. If you can be part of creating something beautiful...WHY NOT?

Much love~

Holly

Dec 04 06 05:04 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I definitely do it for the Love of it...it's also an awesome way for my wife and I to be together more as we do it as a team...money is good for upgrading equipment...to hell with schedules and deadlines...that's the best thing about not doing it for a living...we shoot what we want and who we want...

Dec 04 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

I am very lucky I shoot what I want because I want to and don't rely on this to pay my bills.  I don't even break even.  This is a hobby and one I love.  I enjoy shooting for other people's protfolios wether they be make up artists or models.  It is a way of giving and having fun at the same time.

Dec 04 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

I definitely do it because I absolutely LOVE it!  But as other posters have mentioned, it can get very expensive.  I'm just trying to make enough money so I can afford to keep doing it for love.

Dec 04 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Make money? You mean I can MAKE money from photography?!?!

Making money would be the ultimate goal, but I'm into photography because I enjoy doing it and learning more about it. If I never made a dime, at least I had a good time never making a dime.

Dec 04 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

ditto

but then i was like i can make money too

" BRILLIANT "

Dec 04 06 07:47 am Link