Forums > General Industry > Why do women make better photographers?

Photographer

Jack Crash

Destin, Florida, US

Nov 29 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Jack Crash

Destin, Florida, US

Have you guys seen Cherie Roberts stuff?

Nov 29 06 01:33 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Jack Crash wrote:

I don't think that men photographers have bad ports its just that if you sit here for 3+hours all their ports blur together, then one will stick out and for some reason they tend to be a females port.

May be it's just women's perception of female beauty doesn't match men's perception of it https://foolstown.com/sm/hit.gif

Nov 29 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe the boobies have something to do with it.

Nov 29 06 01:40 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

cisstudio wrote:
Maybe the boobies have something to do with it.

In which way? I see none any more women obsessed with implants than men https://foolstown.com/sm/kos.gif

Nov 29 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

because we can't think with our dicks, so all of our bloodflow is safely in our brain where we can concentrate on content, focus, and other ideas. Also, where you really see this is actually OUTSIDE websites where women photographers are filling museums with their work. It is more often documentary and story driven than glamour photography. Therefore, the photographer, male and female, who are more interested in content and context as well as having technical abilities and a unique eye are going to attract real art collectors and curators attention more than high polish glamour photography.

Nov 29 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

James Graham wrote:
Just for the record.

It's Annie Leibowitz.

Jesus...

Hey James, you lose the spelling bee, go take your seat..
Legacy7 is right and YOU'RE wrong! It's Leibovitz. Doh!

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mrpoodledoo/annie-1.jpg

It's called Google.. check it out.. you'll love it!

Nov 29 06 01:50 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Jack Crash wrote:
I have look at thousands of your profiles and the ones that really stand out a female ports.  I think it is because women are more comfortable posing for other women, or maybe female photographers are less concerned with the sex and more concerned with the art, what do you think.

Women do not have the hang ups about sex. They are just looking for beauty.

Nov 29 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Because we're sexier... wink

Nov 29 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

I think that's a pretty general statement to make, that can be aruged until the  end of time. But it's not the gender of the photographer,it's the person no matter their gender.. I've seen great stuff from both men, and women.

Nov 29 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

They don't.

MODELS tend to make better beginner photographers than anybody else. They have a head-start in a lot of respects, and tend to get the most help and coaching. In the long run it evens out.

And in the "real" offline world, you'll find that women tend to make up a little less than 50% of photographers, they're definitely no rarity. But historically, online, the "photographer" mix tends to be made up heavily of guys who bought toys and want to point them at pretty girls. Which kinda explains everything, doesn't it?

Nov 29 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Sexy female-former-model-photographers are much more fun to hang out with than male photographers.

Nov 29 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Daguerre wrote:
Sexy female-former-model-photographers are much more fun to hang out with than male photographers.

Fact.

Nov 29 06 02:28 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

I don't know.. I know some men who are really talented and leave the sex out of it.  Perhaps some men become photographers for the wrong reasons?  lol

Nov 29 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Josie Tan Photography

Clackamas, Oregon, US

Yeah, I've seen Cherie's stuff............ and........

Nov 29 06 02:57 am Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

they don't

Nov 29 06 03:10 am Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

however if any would like to shoot me, then i would try

Nov 29 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

e-string wrote:
An even better question - why are the best female photographers all at least .5 lesbian? wink

Edit: ok, that's not true. But several of them are!

That would totally blow the "which buttons they are busy looking at" theory...

Nov 29 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I hope this is a parody thread and noone actually thinks that a certain gender is a better photographer...

Nov 29 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

JackC wrote:
I have look at thousands of your profiles and the ones that really stand out a female ports. I think it is because women are more comfortable posing for other women, or maybe female photographers are less concerned with the sex and more concerned with the art (...) I am studying photography, and when I take on something new I completely immerse myself in it.

for females shooting females? shooting men? for portraits? for fashion? for everything? ...

... but, uh, okay,..., so as a newbie you've given your opinion. that's fine. subjective, but fine. g'luck with your work!

F

Nov 29 06 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Ron Goldstein

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
They don't.

But historically, online, the "photographer" mix tends to be made up heavily of guys who bought toys and want to point them at pretty girls. Which kinda explains everything, doesn't it?

LOL.... could not have said it better my self smile

Nov 29 06 03:51 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

stefanie0324 wrote:
I don't know.. I know some men who are really talented and leave the sex out of it.  Perhaps some men become photographers for the wrong reasons?  lol

Stephanie... if it's anything related to fashion or beauty, than the sex is NOT left out of it, nor should it be.

(Which is not the same as hitting on or groping The Muse, or making a tart out of the The Muse. You love The Muse. Simple as that.)

And yes, the way I see it, lots of people become photographers for the wrong reasons.

Nov 29 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

wlc

Jack Crash wrote:
I have look at thousands of your profiles and the ones that really stand out a female ports.  I think it is because women are more comfortable posing for other women, or maybe female photographers are less concerned with the sex and more concerned with the art, what do you think.

The field is just better suited for women up and down the board.
Women see color much better than men. I'll only have my shots printed by a female lab tech.
Children and families are more comfortable around women, especially children.
Men are more comfortable around women.
Women trust women photographers more to notice small details.
My assistant is a woman. I wouldn't have it any other way.
The women I know are pretty, soft, warm, cuddly, smell good and I like to play various bedtime games with them before I go to sleep at night.

So on the whole, I do believe women have the slight upper hand in photography

Nov 29 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Sigh. Couldn't disagree more.

Nov 29 06 04:40 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Renée Jacobs wrote:
pulls up a chair and makes some popcorn..... :-)

RoFLmAo

Nov 29 06 04:45 am Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:
I do not agree with your observation. The most beautiful female pics I have seen were done by male photographers.

I would have to agree with this.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Nov 29 06 04:46 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Webspinner wrote:
because we can't think with our dicks, so all of our bloodflow is safely in our brain where we can concentrate on content, focus, and other ideas. Also, where you really see this is actually OUTSIDE websites where women photographers are filling museums with their work. It is more often documentary and story driven than glamour photography. Therefore, the photographer, male and female, who are more interested in content and context as well as having technical abilities and a unique eye are going to attract real art collectors and curators attention more than high polish glamour photography.

With that in mind, does that mean a female photographer, who is sexually stimulated by the subject(s) she is photographing, will produce work that is as equally equivalent to their male counterparts that are merely thinking with their dick?

Nov 29 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Oh... A thread about my port! I'm flattered. Thank you! smile

I'm joking, people!

Nov 29 06 05:56 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Rossi Photography wrote:
You are my port and starbord :-)

Of course they don't make better photographers.  They have advantages and disadvantages.  Models may be more comfortable with them, models may not "connect" with them in the sexual chemistry sense that is important too.

The real test woudl be to check out the transexuals portfolios they would either be stunning or crap if the logic of this thread was followed to the ridiculous extreme that me being bored at lunch likes to .........LOL

I'm joking, people!

Nov 29 06 06:02 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Rossi Photography wrote:

Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.

Nov 29 06 06:05 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Jack Crash wrote:

interesting thoughts

but can you find examples of what you're saying and juxtappose them?

Nov 29 06 06:15 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

Jack Crash wrote:

I am studying photography, and when I take on something new I completely immerse myself in it.  I believe before you can make a truly unique statement you have to know and understand what everyone else is saying.

I totally understand where you're coming from!!!

Nov 29 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

gdsandy wrote:

What?! Are you calling me a transexual?! tongue

Nov 29 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

Mia Salen wrote:
Psychologically, women tend to be more emotional and more expressive.  Men tend to be compositional.  Maybe women's work speaks to you more because it tends to be (tend is the key word) more emotionally expressive.

yes, yes!

Nov 29 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.

You recognize the clown?

Nov 29 06 06:30 am Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

Renée Jacobs wrote:

marry me. um, us. both of us. all three. and, ah, well, it's gonna be a big car....lolol. I very humbly thank you for that. :-)

now you're on to something!  think of the implications?
"honey, can you pass the coffee, and by the way, that was great last night"
"yes, great! but which part, honey?"
"all of it great!"
"yes"
"do you have a model i can borrow? something in a blonde.
"i'll check"
"that'd be great!"  "i have this idea....."
...to be continued

Nov 29 06 06:47 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Caroline Ann Martin wrote:

HUH?  Do you mean that female photographers will comment on photos? One can be straight and still see beauty in a photo...

No, I didn't say (or imply) anything about comments... and I also edited my post so I wasn't excluding some wonderful straight female photographers. My post was written in fun.

Nov 29 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

its all matter of taste....

its not that anyone for race,sex,lifestyle,makes for better photogs...its the art form itself
and the matter of taste of the people viewing it....everyone has their own taste

Nov 29 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Samantha Grace wrote:
Women do not have the hang ups about sex. They are just looking for beauty.

Then why do so many women like my work?

Nov 29 06 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Jack Crash wrote:
I have look at thousands of your profiles

Maybe you should view a few thousand more. I have seen some pretty sexy images shot by female photographers. I am a male photographer (though I may be using that term loosely) and you won't find too much sex taking place in my portfolio.

Gary

Nov 29 06 07:26 am Link