Forums > General Industry > Model that just like to say they are models

Photographer

jeff e photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I love the "models" on here that started a profile over a year ago and have never added new pics to their port, but will occassionaly tell a photographer they want to shoot and then not show up. 

Do they start profiles just to tell their friends they are "models"??   Sad.

Just blowing off steam.  Grrrrr . . . flakes.

_ jeff

Nov 28 06 12:58 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Yes, yes they did.  That's the thing these days.  I have a friend who calls herself a model but the only model shots she has are from shoots she paid for.  That's not a bad thing, but she never uses these expensive images (this is L.A. and she hires an MUA too) to get any paid modeling gigs.  She uses them on her myspace page.  And tells people that she's a model. 

**There is NOTHING wrong with paying a photographer!  That's NOT what I was saying!**

Nov 28 06 01:01 am Link

Model

Brittney Denea

Oceanside, California, US

I've seen a few photogs that haven't changed or added any pictures, too.

Nov 28 06 01:01 am Link

Model

Donezo

i'm not a model, i'm just a girl that some people like to take pictures of.

Nov 28 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

My -ex does the same thing.  She is represented by an agency in town here but never does any jobs, I'm not sure why she's still there.  But she does get off telling people she is a model and uses it for attention at bars tongue

Nov 28 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

haha! I have wondered if there was a title fitting for those who have no port yet (such as yours truly), if there was I would have chosen that.. tongue

Nov 28 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

jeff e photo

I don't mean to sound like I'm judging, I just hate people that are all talk. If you say you're a model, take every opportunity you can to pursue it.  I understand that some models may have had shoots and just not liked the pics so they don't post them.  If you set an appointment, be professional and show up on time or give ample notice if you have to cancel.

Love you all.    ; )

Nov 28 06 01:08 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Makes me think of part of my rant against aspiring models who ask if they have "the look":

If you have to ask... then, no, you don't.

For the most part, the only people who ask this question are the ones fishing for empty compliments from random strangers.

From what I've witnessed in the past, the people who ask this question don't actually want to do the work of being a model, but just want to be told that he or she could be a model.

It's frustrating for photographers because these are the "models" who don't respond to email, or if they do, can almost be counted on to flake at the last minute or pull no-shows.  It's frustrating for other models, because then photographers assume ALL internet models are like that.

Everyone loses, except the so-called model, enjoying the ego stroke of people wanting to work with her.

Sucks!

Nov 28 06 01:09 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Tiff Marie wrote:
i'm not a model, i'm just a girl that some people like to take pictures of.

Do you mean you lied in your portfolio wink ?

I am a vivacious young model looking for work in the LA area

Nov 28 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
I've seen a few photogs that haven't changed or added any pictures, too.

And the purpose of this statement would be...?

Nov 28 06 01:15 am Link

Model

Brittney Denea

Oceanside, California, US

Image K wrote:

And the purpose of this statement would be...?

Only that there are people other than models that have done it, too.  I say photogs because those are the ones that I've noticed.  I'm not attacking photogs, I'm just sayong what I know is true.

On a different note, I don't tell people that I am a model.  I won't consider myself a model until I am continually getting jobs that are sold to clients, used in ads, magazines or posters.  I don't think it takes all that to be a model but since those are my goals that is what will need to happen for me to consider myself a model.  For now I am just trying to get into modeling.

Nov 28 06 01:28 am Link

Model

TIFFANY A

Kasmia wrote:
My -ex does the same thing.  She is represented by an agency in town here but never does any jobs, I'm not sure why she's still there.  But she does get off telling people she is a model and uses it for attention at bars tongue

I would love to know who this is lol

Nov 28 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

A Wannabe llama is someone who doesn't really try to do llamaing as a professional or even a hobby.

Wannabe llama or BWC(Bimbo With Cellphone) Syndrome has escalated in the 21st Century.

Wannabe llama disease:  A person who pretends to be a llama for the ego gratification, attention, wish fulfillment and to try to make friends jealous but just ends up being rather pathetic and sad.

This disease tends to be most prevalent among people with little or no accomplishments, talent, education, character and work ethic(aka losers), who look slightly better than Quasimodo but their friends at the Mall told them they are llama types.

Symptoms:

1-Chronic NO SHOW for appts
2-No llamaing skills or attempt to learn how to do expressions and poses.
3-Complains constantly about things like photographers' not reading that she only accepts paid assignments.  Why are her cellphone pics by her friend who is an official Walmart photographer not getting her any work.
4-Refuses to ever pay a professional photographer for photos or buy a few books on llamaing, take some classes in dance and acting because her friend at the mall(who decided college is a bad investment) told her paying for anything is a scam.
5-Posts the same 5 cellphone pics on multiple websites and waits to be discovered, rich and famous in a few months.
6-Prone to play lotto, MLM, assorted get-rich-quick without really trying schemes.
7-Enjoys getting drunk regularly, bad cigarette habit to stay thin, goes clubbing nightly and wonders why she has no money to buy a running car to get to paying llamaing jobs.
8-Pathologically lazy.

Successful llama:

Opposite of Wannabe llama.

Nov 28 06 02:15 am Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

There is nothing worse then a wannabe..Honestly I think the moderators need to only exect girls with professional pics, and stop excepting girls with webcam pics...its unprofessional!! These gilrs need to get a life, and girls who keep the same ol pics for more then 6 months I think should get banned!! these girls give young ladies who are just starting out, and actually trying a bad name!! I know of photographers who have ran across so many flakes and wannabees they stopped shooting llamas cause of the bullshit..this is a damn job not a dating service much less a lil game!! I said my peace.

Nov 28 06 02:26 am Link

Model

the christy

Tiff Marie wrote:
i'm not a llama, i'm just a girl that some people like to take pictures of.

Also, Im not a llama... Did you see My November Maxim (europe edition) ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????---Its out now. Also, Im in 2 films this year. But Im not a llama. And in 5 trade magazines this year,and 1 hair add---I just want to be a llama....

Nov 28 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

jeff e photo

Lightwave Photography wrote:
A Wannabe llama is someone who doesn't really try to do llamaing as a professional or even a hobby.

Wannabe llama or BWC(Bimbo With Cellphone) Syndrome has escalated in the 21st Century.

Wannabe llama disease:  A person who pretends to be a llama for the ego gratification, attention, wish fulfillment and to try to make friends jealous but just ends up being rather pathetic and sad.

This disease tends to be most prevalent among people with little or no accomplishments, talent, education, character and work ethic(aka losers), who look slightly better than Quasimodo but their friends at the Mall told them they are llama types.

Symptoms:

3-Complains constantly about things like photographers' not reading that she only accepts paid assignments.  Why are her cellphone pics by her friend who is an official Walmart photographer not getting her any work.
4-Refuses to ever pay a professional photographer for photos or buy a few books on llamaing, take some classes in dance and acting because her friend at the mall(who decided college is a bad investment) told her paying for anything is a scam.
5-Posts the same 5 cellphone pics on multiple websites and waits to be discovered, rich and famous in a few months.
6-Prone to play lotto, MLM, assorted get-rich-quick without really trying schemes.
7-Enjoys getting drunk regularly, bad cigarette habit to stay thin, goes clubbing nightly and wonders why she has no money to buy a running car to get to paying llamaing jobs.
8-Pathologically lazy.

Successful llama:

Hilarious!! ... and sad ... but true!

Nov 28 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Then there is the

NEVER BE A llama:  This is a Wannabe llama that has mastered the art of NO SHOWING for appts and whining constantly about not being discovered yet and how there are so many bad photographers.

All those bad photographers don't understand that she will be rich and famous someday(and can quit her job at Shoes Are Us) and that they need to understand she is just practicing her wannabe supermodel skills(cause everybody knows future supermodels can get away with all that stuff and make tons of money and don't have to actually try like the rest of us).

Nov 28 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Then there is the

Never be a llama:  This is a Wannabe llama that has mastered the art of NO SHOWING for appts and whining about photographers using ALL CAPS

Please add to your symptoms list the fact that they often show signs of Internet Disease

Nov 28 06 02:54 am Link

Model

abbeys

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

90% of paid commercial gigs = no photos in Australia...so updating a portfolio is hard unless your agent negotiates for prints.

I do alot of paid gigs... and i know other girls who dont regularly update portfolios on this site that do too...but what annoys me is a bombardment of photographers who dont want to pay anything......you pay a llama she is more likely to turn up!

Nov 28 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Koala wrote:

I would love to know who this is lol

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you knew her lol

Nov 28 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

abbeys wrote:
90% of paid commercial gigs = no photos in Australia...so updating a portfolio is hard unless your agent negotiates for prints.

I do alot of paid gigs... and i know other girls who dont regularly update portfolios on this site that do too...but what annoys me is a bombardment of photographers who dont want to pay anything......you pay a llama she is more likely to turn up!

Ok, the way that reads is that when you go to a photographer you expect him to pay you AND give you shots to update your book??
I'm confused, are you mixing 2 subjects?

Nov 28 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Symptoms:

8-Pathologically lazy.

Successful llama:

This may be the funniest, and most truthful, post that I have ever read!

Nov 28 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brittney Denea wrote:
Only that there are people other than llamas that have done it, too.  I say photogs because those are the ones that I've noticed.  I'm not attacking photogs, I'm just sayong what I know is true.

On a different note, I don't tell people that I am a llama.  I won't consider myself a llama until I am continually getting jobs that are sold to clients, used in ads, magazines or posters.  I don't think it takes all that to be a llama but since those are my goals that is what will need to happen for me to consider myself a llama.  For now I am just trying to get into llamaing.

Your point is well taken...but I think that you took his statement as an attack on all llamas.

I don't think that was his intention.

When someone rants about a small segment of the model population that doesn't apply tothem, what makes some people take it personally?

Nov 28 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's not every girl's "right" to be a llama. It takes the right genetic package. Just because your parents tell you that you're beautiful doesn't mean that you can make money as a llama. Just because drunks at the local pub, or your bubble-gum-chewing girlfriends at the mall tell you that you are the most beautiful woman that God ever created doesn't make you a llama.

I love to play basketball. I play 3 hrs a day, 4 days a week. I work really hard at it. I would love to play in the NBA. If I was drafted, I would work my tail off ALL DAY LONG to become worthy of the honor of playing professional basketball.

There is only one problem: I'm 42 yrs old and I'm 5' 10", and I'm overweight.

Does that mean that I should "cry foul" that life isn't fair?

Nov 28 06 03:48 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

I take it personally because I'm worried that people might think I'm a wannabe llama. Well I am, but I do really want to be a llama. I want to have shoots, but I generally just get disturbing offers for shoots off people I don't trust. I'm not about to put my safety at risk, or be happy with some rubbish pictures taken of me, just so I can say that I've done a shoot and have new pictures. I'm holding out for a good shoot and a photographer that I trust.

Nov 28 06 03:52 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

im a llama citizen

Nov 28 06 03:54 am Link

Model

Stacey S

Long Beach, California, US

I thank god
i'm not one of them
I know kids who do that tho

Nov 28 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Innamorata wrote:
I take it personally because I'm worried that people might think I'm a wannabe llama. Well I am, but I do really want to be a llama. I want to have shoots, but I generally just get disturbing offers for shoots off people I don't trust. I'm not about to put my safety at risk, or be happy with some rubbish pictures taken of me, just so I can say that I've done a shoot and have new pictures. I'm holding out for a good shoot and a photographer that I trust.

The OP was talking about someone that had not added photos to their port for a year, and would send out e-mails that stated that she wanted to shoot, and would not show up for the shoot.

What made you think that his comments were directed at you?

Does any of that apply to you?

Read the posts, please.

Nov 28 06 03:58 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Image K wrote:
The OP was talking about someone that had not added photos to their port for a year, and would send out e-mails that stated that she wanted to shoot, and would not show up for the shoot.

What made you think that his comments were directed at you?

Does any of that apply to you?

Read the posts, please.

No need to be rude. I had another profile on this site with similar pictures from two years ago. I have a profile on omp which had not been updated for two years. Therefore I have not added pictures to my port for over a year and I feel that some people might feel that I am one of those llamas. The fact that I would turn up if I got a good shoot is neither here nor there as I have not had a shoot yet, and so cannot prove that I would turn up. I didn't think that his comments were aimed at me, but I could see that some of it was relevant to me and wanted to comment on it. I have read the whole thread and posts, which is why I commented.

Nov 28 06 04:12 am Link

Model

Innamorata

Darkdesire wrote:
There is nothing worse then a wannabe..Honestly I think the moderators need to only exect girls with professional pics, and stop excepting girls with webcam pics...its unprofessional!! These gilrs need to get a life, and girls who keep the same ol pics for more then 6 months I think should get banned!! these girls give young ladies who are just starting out, and actually trying a bad name!! I know of photographers who have ran across so many flakes and wannabees they stopped shooting llamas cause of the bullshit..this is a damn job not a dating service much less a lil game!! I said my peace.

Read this post.....

I have webcam pics on some of my profiles, and I have had the same pics for over 6 months or similar ones.

Nov 28 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I recommend paying a professional to get good photos rather than embarrassing yourself with webcam pics.

Nov 28 06 05:18 am Link

Model

Innamorata

I'm not embarassing myself.

Nov 28 06 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Innamorata wrote:
No need to be rude. I had another profile on this site with similar pictures from two years ago. I have a profile on omp which had not been updated for two years. Therefore I have not added pictures to my port for over a year and I feel that some people might feel that I am one of those llamas. The fact that I would turn up if I got a good shoot is neither here nor there as I have not had a shoot yet, and so cannot prove that I would turn up. I didn't think that his comments were aimed at me, but I could see that some of it was relevant to me and wanted to comment on it. I have read the whole thread and posts, which is why I commented.

Actually, I was being nice. Believe me, you will know it when I'm trying to be rude.

I just looked at one of your pics...according to the date, you added it 5 days ago.

If I may ask...what are you waiting for? Is the "right photographer" just going to knock on your door, and provide you with the shoots to build your port?

Why don't you pursue it more actively if you are serious about it?

Nov 28 06 05:40 am Link

Model

Aingeal Rose

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

lol i have a friend who got into llamaing because i did - she has a beautiful face but not the  awearness or sence of pose for the industry - after one shoot she was telling friends of ours shes a llama now... i myself havent got that much experience and have only been llamaing for about 7 months now- that doesnt make me a llama and i wouldnt dream of telling people thats what i 'do'

Nov 28 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I think there are a lot of photographers who just like to say they are
photographers too.

Nov 28 06 06:02 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

It took me 10 years before I'd claim to be a guitar player rather than someone who can play a guitar...

Nov 28 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
I think there are a lot of photographers who just like to say they are
photographers too.

I'd never be crazy enough to claim that I'm a photographer...unfortunately you can only pick between photographer, llama, stylist, and mua so I chose photographer. I should have chose one of the other ones and I wouldn't have had to run out afterwards and buy all this photography equipment...

All because I liked llama trains and signed up on the wrong website!

Nov 28 06 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Footprint Photo wrote:
I love the "models" on here that started a profile over a year ago and have never added new pics to their port, but will occassionaly tell a photographer they want to shoot and then not show up. 

Do they start profiles just to tell their friends they are "models"??   Sad.

Just blowing off steam.  Grrrrr . . . flakes.

_ jeff

Profiles should be suspended for inactivity, such as not logging in or not updating images.

Nov 28 06 06:20 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Kasmia wrote:
My -ex does the same thing.  She is represented by an agency in town here but never does any jobs, I'm not sure why she's still there.  But she does get off telling people she is a llama and uses it for attention at bars tongue

Strange as it may sound it was women like your ex-wife that brought in the most money for ports when I still had my studio in NJ.

There were three types of "models".

One, the real llama. She usually didn't pay for her shots because she had enough from assignments to fill her book. So I only saw those occasionally.

Two, the part time llama. She had some assignment photos but usually worked locally because she either employed full time in another profession or was married and did it for extra money. So they did refresh their ports when needed.

The third group. The "look at me, I'm a llama and have the photos to prove it". These women never shot an assignment in their lives and probably never will. But they loved being called llamas so at every opportunity they had new photos for their ports which they carried around to show everyone and anyone who would stop for more than five minutes to listen and look.

I love that last group. Coming to my studio was like going to the hairdresser, steady and regular. This group usually had lots disposable income and I was more than happy to have them dispose of it in my studio.

Nov 28 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

BlackWatch wrote:
All because I liked llama trains and signed up on the wrong website!

Model trains......hey!.....That is the thing I enjoy almost as much as photography...model railroading. I just wish people would stop saying "playing with my trains"......

Nov 28 06 08:24 am Link