Photographer

Shiree

Sacramento, California, US

Ok i finally had it happen to me, i hear about it alot of the net, A model contacted me about shooting, i responded with interest, she responded with the same interest as in the first email, not adding any contact number or definitive anything. Is this what the rest of the shooters here go thru??? I mean geesh then i sit here and listen to models bitch because people dont take them seriously?  Let me explain it simply... if you act in this manner.. you are NOT A MODEL, your just some kid who thinks shes attractive and believes that someone with 200 grand worth of equip is at your disposal, and guess what, YOUR WRONG.

This model who contacted me, is better off to not do it again, wasting my time isnt something i enjoy. The worst part is, It was a PAID shoot for the model,lol. soo let me recap..

PAID SHOOT FOR THE MODEL(NON-NUDE)
MODEL CONTACTS ME
REPLY IS SENT SAME DAY
MODEL REPLIES SAME DAY
REPLY SENT NEXT DAY
I MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR HAIR/MUA/OTHER MODEL/LOCATION.
MODEL HASNT RESPONDED IN 10 DAYS.
MODEL JUST COST HERSELF A JOB.
MODEL ISNT A MODEL.

(AND NO WAY ILL RECONTACT HER, IM AWARE SHES RECIEVED THE EMAIL AND READ IT)

Do the rest of you guys suffer this type of bullshit?? if so now i kno0w why you guys are so hard on the bullshit, after 11yrs in this business, my main form of income, this is a new thing to me.

Nov 27 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Raquelly

Newark, New Jersey, US

dude .. you have 200 grand worth of equipment ?

Nov 27 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

LOL yes, counting the shoot rv's and the cameras and eqip, computer systems, prop stock and wardrobe.  but ummm my point shouldnt have been about that, my appologies, models shouldnt do this even if your a GWC its just plain rude.

Nov 27 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Happens all the time.  Sometimes you hear back much later - they've had some kind of drama in their life where they were so heartbroken because of whatever happened with their boyfriend/cat/grandmother they couldn't reply to email.

You have several options, including sticking with agencies, booking more models for a day than you really need, or just doing whatever you can to minimize the chance of this happening - like pulling the plug the minute they show any signs of being non-professional.

Photographer

Caution Foto

Judsonia, Arkansas, US

Victimized as charged here!
And i took a gander at her port a few weeks ago, as far as i can tell...she still has yet to shoot with anyone. Just her sister taking random shots of her as she says in her port.

Photographer

Shiree

San Francisco Nudes wrote:
Happens all the time.  Sometimes you hear back much later - they've had some kind of drama in their life where they were so heartbroken because of whatever happened with their boyfriend/cat/grandmother they couldn't reply to email.

You have several options, including sticking with agencies, booking more models for a day than you really need, or just doing whatever you can to minimize the chance of this happening - like pulling the plug the minute they show any signs of being non-professional.

Problem is that the only people who can work with conditions like there are GWC's and sexual predators, who rent a motel in 10mins notice and dont use MUA and others, a pro shoot takes alot of planning and many peoples coordination, so models doing this, as far as i can tell only want GWC's or Molesters.

Nov 27 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Raquelly

Newark, New Jersey, US

lol   no I hear you and your point .. I just got stuck right there as I was reading LOL.. sorry.

I was like DAYUM ...

Nov 27 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

No disrespect to the OP but expecting models on websites to act in a
professional manner isn't wise.  While there are some here most of this site is
full of attractive women who have no real interest in going further then posting
here or on Myspace.  I email a model once or twice.  If she won't provide some
sort of contact information I move on.

Nov 27 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Tony Lawrence wrote:
full of attractive women who have no real interest in going further then posting

Tony, i think thats good advice considering the situation, thanks.

Nov 27 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Shiree wrote:
Ok i finally had it happen to me, i hear about it alot of the net, A model contacted me about shooting, i responded with interest, she responded with the same interest as in the first email, not adding any contact number or definitive anything. Is this what the rest of the shooters here go thru??? I mean geesh then i sit here and listen to models bitch because people dont take them seriously?  Let me explain it simply... if you act in this manner.. you are NOT A MODEL, your just some kid who thinks shes attractive and believes that someone with 200 grand worth of equip is at your disposal, and guess what, YOUR WRONG.

This model who contacted me, is better off to not do it again, wasting my time isnt something i enjoy. The worst part is, It was a PAID shoot for the model,lol. soo let me recap..

PAID SHOOT FOR THE MODEL(NON-NUDE)
MODEL CONTACTS ME
REPLY IS SENT SAME DAY
MODEL REPLIES SAME DAY
REPLY SENT NEXT DAY
I MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR HAIR/MUA/OTHER MODEL/LOCATION.
MODEL HASNT RESPONDED IN 10 DAYS.
MODEL JUST COST HERSELF A JOB.
MODEL ISNT A MODEL.

(AND NO WAY ILL RECONTACT HER, IM AWARE SHES RECIEVED THE EMAIL AND READ IT)

Do the rest of you guys suffer this type of bullshit?? if so now i kno0w why you guys are so hard on the bullshit, after 11yrs in this business, my main form of income, this is a new thing to me.

I've had similar happen with me - but the photographer never confirmed. Everything was arranged, location, date, details etc. But no time was determined. And I come to realize, that the photographer was a flake.

life goes on, and other photographers will fill their place.

Nov 27 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I contacted a model which in turn contacted me within 2 days. Then upon my second e-mail that included details, I have yet to be contacted back. It has been almost two months. I see her Online activities almost on a daily basis, so I know she is alive and breathing.

Maybe it's because I am trying to schedule for January, but still, just let me know if you are interested or not so I can schedule accordingly.

Nov 27 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

No news here.  It's the way things work.

Nov 27 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Thats all im saying, how hard is it to send and email and say "ive changed my mind" or "something came up" or "your work sucks" , i mean damn. Funny thing is i ALWAYS have paid work for models, and im always hiring models, always thought that wasnt a bridge to burn.

Nov 27 06 01:48 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world of internet photography. There are no rules here; a girl who is 5’ 1” in 4” stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Agency models and photographers = work for clients and have a set of standards
Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.
GWP and GWC = it’s all about the b(o)(o)bies.

Welcome to our world…………………………

*hugs to the OP*
not all of us are like that only 98% of us...

Nov 27 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world of internet photography. There are no rules here; a girl who is 5’ 1” in 4” stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.

*hugs to the OP*

Yeah, make this one a sticky.

Nov 27 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

only if I get credit...I need to flesh it out a bit more..Why is MM's self proclaimed internet whore the one with the best info???

Nov 27 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shiree wrote:
Funny thing is i ALWAYS have paid work for models, and im always hiring models, always thought that wasnt a bridge to burn.

I have to ask.

If you always are hiring models, and always have paid work, how have you not encountered this kind of thing before?  What kind of paid work is it?

Nov 27 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Typically models contact me via agency etc, and also i was using another site on the net that seems to be more seriously directed towards true models. The paid work i offer ranges from Fashion to Art Nude.  I dont shoot adult work, im just no good at it,lol.

Nov 27 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

you got nailed by a GWT
girl with tits (and not much more)
Most girls on the net just want some "hot pictures" and attention. It's a shame because many of them could do well if they were serious.

Nov 27 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

*hugs to the OP*

this should be sent with all the welcome notices when joining MM.

wurd!

Nov 27 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Jeff Marsh wrote:
you got nailed by a GWT
girl with tits (and not much more)
Most girls on the net just want some "hot pictures" and attention. It's a shame because many of them could do well if they were serious.

LMAO GWT!! can i use that???

Nov 27 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Yeah, Tony hit it on the head there.

To quote something I post to aspiring models here who ask if they have "the look":

If you have to ask... then, no, you don't.

For the most part, the only people who ask this question are the ones fishing for empty compliments from random strangers.

From what I've witnessed in the past, the people who ask this question don't actually want to do the work of being a model, but just want to be told that he or she could be a model.

It's frustrating for photographers because these are the "models" who don't respond to email, or if they do, can almost be counted on to flake at the last minute or pull no-shows.  It's frustrating for other models, because then photographers assume ALL internet models are like that.

Everyone loses, except the so-called model, enjoying the ego stroke of people wanting to work with her.

Sucks!

Nov 27 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shiree wrote:
The paid work i offer ranges from Fashion to Art Nude.  I dont shoot adult work, im just no good at it,lol.

That's pretty impressive.  Who are your fashion clients?

Nov 27 06 03:29 pm Link

Model

Tiara

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

I have had photogs do this to me a few days before the shoot a friend died emergency trip etc.. Or they cant give you your pictures in a timely matter because of_______. It's always bs some people just aren't going to be as professional or dedicated as you would like them to be.

Nov 27 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Currently im not shooting Fashion for any clients, I took a small and short retirement to do some personal things, Thus the reason to update my book.

Nov 27 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

yes it is a major pain in the ass when models express an interest and then offer no contact information after several emails. but....it's the internet. you get what you pay for.

Nov 27 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Couture Imagery wrote:
yes it is a major pain in the ass when models express an interest and then offer no contact information after several emails. but....it's the internet. you get what you pay for.

Thats just it im paying 30.00/hr for fashion and 45/hr for art nude, and my work isnt THAT bad!! I mean daymnnn

Nov 27 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Yet you have a 8500 $ day rate on your website?
I am confused...

Nov 27 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

millimeter

Massapequa, New York, US

I just went through the same thing with model contacting me and then "flaking out".  No replies, This site should have a flake-o-meter like ebay's rating system to weed out the time wasters.  It is really frustrating.

Nov 27 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Shiree wrote:
LOL yes, counting the shoot rv's and the cameras and eqip, computer systems, prop stock and wardrobe.  but ummm my point shouldnt have been about that, my appologies, models shouldnt do this even if your a GWC its just plain rude.

i have 7 grand...guess im doing pretty good...

Nov 27 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Geo Silva

Whittier, California, US

Raquel Gonzalez wrote:
dude .. you have 200 grand worth of equipment ?

I must just be punk ass... I was proud of my two grand in equipment!  Haha!

Nov 27 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To the OP:

If you want to dramatically reduce your chances of having this happen to you (not eliminate, but reduce) then simply refuse to work with any models who haven't had at least one or two legitimate shoots.

Seems almost too simple to be a viable tip, but without the model having any kind of track record of having showed up for a shoot, you are asking for trouble.

I'm not wise - I just learned this the hard way like everyone else.

Nov 27 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Donovan

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't know... I would think that if you were going to shell out $200k on equipment (rather then renting it) you would also spend the money on an agency model...whenever I have paid work,I godirectly to the agencies. They become accountable for the no show.

Nov 27 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Michael Donovan wrote:
I don't know... I would think that if you were going to shell out $200k on equipment (rather then renting it) you would also spend the money on an agency model...whenever I have paid work,I godirectly to the agencies. They become accountable for the no show.

This paid work is for my own book, normally of course in client shoots i would be using agency models for Fashion works.

Not sure what the comment on my day rate is about.

Nov 27 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Shiree wrote:
Currently im not shooting Fashion for any clients, I took a small and short retirement to do some personal things, Thus the reason to update my book.

Ok.  With a 200k arsenal, who were your past clients?  Just out of curiosity.

Nov 27 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Styles including POLO, Guess, CK, Versace and others have become a common placement in his work.

Interesting.

Nov 27 06 04:51 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I am totally confused..
OP
says:
He has 200 K in equipment
is world renowned
has over 250 k online and print tears
has a 8500 comercial day rate

Yet he still has to pay models to update his book?
I thought photographers used tearsheets in their books?
Or the results from agency models test shoots.

Something does not add up here...

Nov 27 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I am totally confused..
OP
says:
He has 200 K in equipment
is world renowned
has over 250 k online and print tears
has a 8500 comercial day rate

Yet he still has to pay models to update his book?
I thought photographers used tearsheets in their books?
Or the results from agency models test shoots.

Something does not add up here...

I am totally befuddled.  Can someone tell me what all those awards are?  I can't find any references.

Nov 27 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Cameraviews

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

you were on OMP for about 4 years, and this never happened?

Nov 27 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Have to pay models to update my book? nope, prefer to ? yup, why? simple, the money may help them, because i can afford it.
My awards and refs, not sure i have to justify that comment but for your comfort, we can simplify, lets use one, Christen Bowman 650 madison ave NYNY 10022, feel free to call her, of course with all the big pros here i dont have to say shes Photog Exec for Ralph Lauren Fashions. If you cant reach her, theres always David Lauren, if you dont have the numbers, contact me in private and have just cause such as verfying my refs for work reasons, and ill be glad to give those numbers to you.  I wont put the numbers here, as you are aware they are private listings.

After this can we try and keep the thread strait?
Im not here for a pissing contest nor a "lets brag" session.

Nov 27 06 05:22 pm Link