Forums > General Industry > Models Demanding Too Many Shots w/ TFP

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Leo Chan wrote:
I know some photogs around here that give out more than 10 different prints from one shoot. More than 10! Yet I can't find a single good one out of those images.

So wait a minute.  You are saying that you want the photographer to give prints and be talented?  Interesting concept.

Nov 25 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't really understand why you use the work "demanding" in the title of your post.  It doesn't sound like the model is holding you at gunpoint or threatening you in any way.  Can't you just say no?  As a photographer, it's your right to try to get the most out of every shoot and that should apply to a model as well.  If you didn't tell her beforehand that she would only be getting 20 images, she has every right to ask for more - and you have every right to say no.  I've been told no by a few photographers - about rates, ideas for shoots etc. and I don't hold it against them unless they're mean about it.

Nov 25 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
Maybe i'm just old, but in the days before the internet, and digital slr's i did a few tfp's.

They didn't get 36 8x10 color glossies to put in the leather portfolio.

They got a contact sheet and a sharpie and picked out the ones they liked.  And then i dropped the negatives at the lab and printed those 4 or 5 up.

IF I'm understanding you correctly, they got a copy of each image shot - albeit on contact sheet.

Nov 25 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Madness.

Nov 25 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

So wait a minute.  You are saying that you want the photographer to give prints and be talented?  Interesting concept.

LMAO LMAO

Nov 25 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Leo Chan wrote:
Low quality photogs tend to give out more prints because they think every shot is good. Good photog usually like only about 2 to 5 shots in a session. . . just my 2 cents. big_smile

I guess I'm low-quality then. On the one that I referred to where I sent her about three dozen, she liked them and is eager to shoot again, so I'm happy with my low quality.

Joking aside, it was unusual for me - more than 10% in the "I'll keep it" category. Woo-hoo.

Nov 25 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Well no one asked me, but I'd like to add my own $.02 since this subject is of extreme annoyance to me as a model.
I have never demanded any physical prints from a shoot in which a photographer shoots with a digital camera. If there's a photo I want, I'll take care of the costs to have it printed. Obviously film shots are a different story. I also don't ask for any retouched images. What I do ask for, and in advance, is a disc of ALL my images in full resolution. Those thumbnail web resolution pics photogs try to hand over just don't cut it with me. If we are both working for free and in exchange for portfolio images, why should the photographer decide which are the best photographs of me and that I can only have a few of those retouched  to his or her liking? I should have the same exact images in the same exact format that the photographer has to use. I'm sure some percentage of the time, they'll get sold as stock photography regardless of what I sign and I'll never know it, and the photographer earns money for the time he spent shooting with me... I won't bitch and moan about it, as long as I get to photoshop or choose which images I want photoshopped, and permission to host my image wherever I please. These are my standards for working free of charge for photos that are intended to benefit both parties. There are always exceptions, such as some ridiculous big shot giving me the honor of shooting with him free of charge - obviously beggars can't be choosers in such situations... but some no name with a release isn't gonna F me over ever again. My time is valuable too and a trade shoot should be a fair collaboration unless otherwise agreed upon.
TFCD/TFP is tricky.. everybody is always out for themselves, and that's expected, but photographers getting all righteous and testy with models over it is equally as obnoxious to us as silly, demanding models are to them.

Nov 25 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

DixieGrace wrote:
Personally, I would prefer quality shots rather than quantity, especially if you took the time to edit them to make them flawless....but not everyone holds the same opinion.

My type of model, someone who appreciates that there is an artistry to her work.

Handing over ALL the images communicates that they all have equal value.

Terry

Nov 25 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Maura wrote:
What I do ask for, and in advance, is a disc of ALL my images in full resolution.

I'd be curious to follow your progress as I know of no photographers who will hand over a disk of unedited shots.

Nov 25 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

markcomp wrote:

I'd be curious to follow your progress as I know of no photographers who will hand over a disk of unedited shots.

No good ones anyway.

Nov 25 06 03:50 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:

Well I'm not a newbie to modeling and I can honestly say that almost every single photographer that has shot with me strictly TfCD has provided me with 2, 3 and even 4 cds of unedited images. As a bonus, they've thrown in 7 or so edited images. Maybe it's just my charisma? wink
Or perhaps I've just been lucky, but working under those conditions, those are now the stipulations I hold for the average photographer who wants to shoot for trade. Had I never been spoiled this way by photographers, I wouldve never known any better and not been inclined to step on any toes... but hey, it works out for me and I would never abuse of the trust of the photographer who hands over raw images, so everybody's pretty happy as far as I've ever known.

Nov 25 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

I tell them I will give them the best images. I give them no specific number up front. For all I know I might only like one photograph from the shoot.Then she might just get one.

Nov 25 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

Maura wrote:
...(snip)

What I do ask for, and in advance, is a disc of ALL my images in full resolution. Those thumbnail web resolution pics photogs try to hand over just don't cut it with me.  If we are both working for free and in exchange for portfolio images, why should the photographer decide which are the best photographs of me and that I can only have a few of those retouched  to his or her liking?  I should have the same exact images in the same exact format that the photographer has to use. I'm sure some percentage of the time, they'll get sold as stock photography regardless of what I sign and I'll never know it, and the photographer earns money for the time he spent shooting with me... I won't bitch and moan about it, as long as I get to photoshop or choose which images I want photoshopped, and permission to host my image wherever I please. These are my standards for working free of charge for photos that are intended to benefit both parties. There are always exceptions, such as some ridiculous big shot giving me the honor of shooting with him free of charge - obviously beggars can't be choosers in such situations... but some no name with a release isn't gonna F me over ever again. My time is valuable too and a trade shoot should be a fair collaboration unless otherwise agreed upon.
TFCD/TFP is tricky.. everybody is always out for themselves, and that's expected, but photographers getting all righteous and testy with models over it is equally as obnoxious to us as silly, demanding models are to them.

Wow, Maura, you sound like you've had some pretty horrible experiences with past photographers.  I don't model (although I could cuz I'm gorgeous!  J/K), but if I did, I might have a better perspective of what models go through.  However, I can tell you I won't work with any model who requires I turn over ALL the shots we took that day.  I don't want any photos I took that poorly represent my work floating out there on the internet.  You used the word "MY" when describing the shots from your shoots, but the bottom line is, they belong to the photographer no matter how much of you is in them.

You also questioned why the photographer should be the one to decide which photos you get.  I consider myself in a better position (as the photographer) to determine what best represents the both of us in my shots.  I'm not saying ALL photographers do a good job at this, but I wouldn't let a model tell me which photos best represent my work.  Most of them have no experience with the basic tenets of photography, lighting, and posing, so why would I allow them to pick the photos?  I WILL, however, let them give me a selection of photos, and I'll weed out the ones that don't work photographically.  I'll also suggest alternative shots to replace the ones I weeded out.

Lastly, I kind of took exception to your claim that "everybody is out for themselves".  I pride myself on giving models a pretty good deal and collaborating with them as much as possible so we both benefit.  Every model I work with gets pre-cropped 8x10 and 5x7 high-res edited images and 3-5 prints.  I'm sorry you've had some bad experiences, but let's not generalize here.

Nov 25 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Frisson wrote:

No good ones anyway.

That's a pretty low thing to say. Many of the photographers I have worked with are well-established and internationally published. That they do not guard their raw images with their life should not be an indication of their incompetency as a photographer... Should I do something to disgrace their work, all they'd have to do is sue my ass. Being anal does not equate being a good photographer.

Nov 25 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

ya, and I want a bright shiny yellow Porsche Boxster, but I'm not getting that any time soon either, sheesh...  Some models just don't understand the work involved (much less the costs involved in a shoot and post-shoot processing...  I have yet to have a model toss some coin in gratis for the Canon 5D, 20D, the L series lens, the lights, backdrops, computers, software and such...  if one ever did offer, I'd be tempted to marry her...  well, if she comes with a bright shiny yellow Porsche Boxster that is...  lol).

Out of every shoot, there are only so many good images...

But then again, I don't do many TFPs, and truth be told, I go out of my way to make sure the model gets the best images, regardless if that 10 or 50...

Nov 25 06 04:09 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

I felt bad about asking for 8 pictures from a photographer.  But, then again.. he's really good.

Nov 25 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

I manage the model's expectations by laying it all out before the shoot. If I really loved working with the model I finish more images than I originally agreed upon. A gratuity, of sorts.

Nov 25 06 04:12 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Wow, Maura, you sound like you've had some pretty horrible experiences with past photographers.  I don't model (although I could cuz I'm gorgeous!  J/K), but if I did, I might have a better perspective of what models go through.  However, I can tell you I won't work with any model who requires I turn over ALL the shots we took that day.  I don't want any photos I took that poorly represent my work floating out there on the internet.  You used the word "MY" when describing the shots from your shoots, but the bottom line is, they belong to the photographer no matter how much of you is in them.

You also questioned why

the photographer should be the one to decide which photos you get.  I consider myself in a better position (as the photographer) to determine what best represents the both of us in my shots.  I'm not saying ALL photographers do a good job at this, but I wouldn't let a model tell me which photos best represent my work.  Most of them have no experience with the basic tenets of photography, lighting, and posing, so why would I allow them to pick the photos?  I WILL, however, let them give me a selection of photos, and I'll weed out the ones that don't work photographically.  I'll also suggest alternative shots to replace the ones I weeded out.

Lastly, I kind of took exception to your claim that "everybody is out for themselves".  I pride myself on giving models a pretty good deal and collaborating with them as much as possible so we both benefit.  I'm sorry you've had some bad experiences, but let's not generalize here.

I see what you're saying,  and I understand what legally belongs to the photographer, but I only feel bound to those laws when somebody is paying somebody... and that is why I specified that these are my personal standards when shooting for trade. I have bad experiences, yes, but I've since then worked with very cooperative photographers who meet me in the middle and understand the model's side of the bargain. In trade instances, it is my opinion that both the model AND the photographer agree on the best images before they are out in the open. Working for trade is optional, and when I do opt to do so, I work things out with photographers who will let me in on the final products. I can't chance it anymore, it isn't worth it. I ask for all copies if my images to keep tabs on what is out there of me, not to microsoft paint and defame anybody's work. I may be deemed a tainted snob for it, but this is my stance on TFCD. My apologies for generalizing, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Nov 25 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

Maura wrote:
That's a pretty low thing to say. Many of the photographers I have worked with are well-established and internationally published. That they do not guard their raw images with their life should not be an indication of their incompetency as a photographer... Should I do something to disgrace their work, all they'd have to do is sue my ass. Being anal does not equate being a good photographer.

It's not anal, it's called quality control.

My approach to TFP is somewhere between what you expect and what you fear.

My last two models had a choice of 24 from 100 pre-selected images. PLUS images I thought were great. Not a bad deal at all.

Being internationally published does not make you a great photographer. It makes you published.

Terry

Nov 25 06 04:26 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Frisson wrote:

It's not anal, it's called quality control.

My approach to TFP is somewhere between what you expect and what you fear.

My last two models had a choice of 24 from 100 pre-selected images. PLUS images I thought were great. Not a bad deal at all.

Being internationally published does not make you a great photographer. It makes you published.

Terry

Terry, I can agree with that also, lots of shitty photographers get published and lots of ugly models get paid... just pointing out that there's no need to "generalize" as I've been told. It's all a matter of opinions, I suppose. Quality control to you might be complete nonsense to someone just as brilliant as yourself.

Nov 25 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Maura wrote:

Since RAW images are the digital equivalence of a negative I have to stick to my first statement and say that I find it hard to believe they actually give you RAW unedited shots.

Nov 25 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

markcomp wrote:

Since RAW images are the digital equivalence of a negative I have to stick to my first statement and say that I find it hard to believe they actually give you RAW unedited shots.

I don't know what I'd have to say to convince you otherwise, but at the end of most shoots (immediately upon wrapping up) I have been given CDs of digital negatives and then told to pick a few favorites for editing. I've never had a problem doing things this way nor has the photographer who has handed over the images. Perhaps this is only an occasional thing that these photographers do and maybe I'm privy to it because I've had the audacity to ask since I realized it was an option some photographers would grant... I don't know, but it's what I ask of photographers who approach me for trade. I understand it's not always going to be possible and I'm not entirely above cooperating with a photographer's values... I can respect the concept of quality control as long as I can also part-take in the selection of the final images. What would be the point of a trade for the model if she was given images that in her opinion do not do her justice but that the photographer thinks is amazing due to lighting or whatever else photographers take into consideration when deciding what their best work is.
Honestly, does anyone see where I am coming from or am I the biblehumper at the gay pride parade?

Nov 25 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Well, my trade release essentially says that the model can veto any picture she has a reasonable objection to. I can veto any picture by simply not releasing it.

I really do care that my crap doesn't go out to the world, assuming that I have things that aren't crap. If I release everything, then I'm waiving my veto, and I don't want to do that.

Nov 25 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

markcomp wrote:

Maura wrote:
I don't know what I'd have to say to convince you otherwise, but at the end of most shoots (immediately upon wrapping up) I have been given CDs of digital negatives and then told to pick a few favorites for editing. I've never had a problem doing things this way nor has the photographer who has handed over the images.

Oops, miscommunication here.  When she is talking about raw images, she means the JPG's just as they came out of the camera without any editing.

Mark, when you are talking about RAW, you mean RAW format, which must be editied before they are even reasonably usable.

I am not sure she understands the difference in the terminology.  I know of photographers who will give the model a CD of the JPG's right after the shoot.  Most don't but some do so I undersand what she is trying to say.

Nov 25 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Angel Scott

Beverly Hills, California, US

markcomp wrote:

I agree with Maura and disagree with you, since I have worked with several photographers(published and excellent work) that have handed me a CD with all images of our shoot and I have done my own retouch(since I am Photoshop friendly:). These photographers have no problem in doing so since it is TFP, meaning no money spent on their side to make prints or time photoshoping pictures for me and for them(sometimes different ones). It is easier to handle a CD with all the pics in very large format, straight from the camera.
If I want prints I can pay for them, it makes life easier since I shoot trade for content and need large sets for the web.

Nov 25 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I have seen photongreaphers give out cds of full sized jpgs in full printable files usable for printing of ever shot out of the camera it happens...
I have seen photographers give out only two small we files and two lab printed prints. and everything in between.

As a photographer I'm a bit of an old school control freak..
models get to pick 20 or so images from my portable hard drive day of shoot, then I pick 10 that I think are quality out of your 20, I edit those and deliver via web page websiezed and watermarked. Model then gets to pick 1 out of the 10 and it will be printed up in a lab 9 x 12. Models are not ever given permission to ever edit any of my work unless we are shooting for the specific reason or learning and editing lessons.

Nov 25 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

FemmeArt wrote:
I recently did a TFP shoot with a model.  I provided her with 20 retouched images--good ones.  Although the model was very happy with the images, she wrote and had the nerve to say, "There were only 20 edited pics on the cd.  Where are the rest of the pics?"

I typically give no more than 10 edited images from a TFP.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

In my opinion the Model is right to request more images because you both did not have a agreement before the shoot. Nothing else you can do about it.
Try to please her and cut your losses or negotiate using the argument that more images of the same look are not valuable for her portfolio.
2 images per look is the standard on my contracts.
They can choose from the proofs, and I do few exceptions but really few.

Nov 25 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Maura wrote:

I don't know what I'd have to say to convince you otherwise, but at the end of most shoots (immediately upon wrapping up) I have been given CDs of digital negatives and then told to pick a few favorites for editing. I've never had a problem doing things this way nor has the photographer who has handed over the images. Perhaps this is only an occasional thing that these photographers do and maybe I'm privy to it because I've had the audacity to ask since I realized it was an option some photographers would grant... I don't know, but it's what I ask of photographers who approach me for trade. I understand it's not always going to be possible and I'm not entirely above cooperating with a photographer's values... I can respect the concept of quality control as long as I can also part-take in the selection of the final images. What would be the point of a trade for the model if she was given images that in her opinion do not do her justice but that the photographer thinks is amazing due to lighting or whatever else photographers take into consideration when deciding what their best work is.
Honestly, does anyone see where I am coming from or am I the biblehumper at the gay pride parade?

I see where you are coming from but since copyright always belongs to the photographer I can't see any reason for giving a RAW file away.
Think of it this way, if you were a model ten years ago and asked the photographer for his negatives would he give them to you?
I am not saying photographers have not given you RAW files, I am saying they are foolish for doing so.

Nov 25 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Oops, miscommunication here.  When she is talking about raw images, she means the JPG's just as they came out of the camera without any editing.

Mark, when you are talking about RAW, you mean RAW format, which must be editied before they are even reasonably usable.

I am not sure she understands the difference in the terminology.  I know of photographers who will give the model a CD of the JPG's right after the shoot.  Most don't but some do so I undersand what she is trying to say.

Yes! Okay, this makes more sense... and no, I was not aware of the difference, but yes, I am talking about the full-size, high-resolution JPGs, completely unedited, burned onto CD(s) and handed to me to take home.
Now that that's clarified, is there still an issue with a photographer releasing those to me? I assume it's practically the same thing ethically speaking, but now I don't even know...

Nov 25 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Maura wrote:

Yes! Okay, this makes more sense... and no, I was not aware of the difference, but yes, I am talking about the full-size, high-resolution JPGs, completely unedited, burned onto CD(s) and handed to me to take home.
Now that that's clarified, is there still an issue with a photographer releasing those to me? I assume it's practically the same thing ethically speaking, but now I don't even know...

Forget my last post as this now changes everything.

Nov 25 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Yes Maura the issue with full res cd's is that you are able to print any of those images at any lowend print shop, on your home printer, and pass them off as quality work.
or you can take the set and falsly submit it to other websites for payment. Gaining income you did not earn.
photographers who value the quality of their work do not release every image the only release the highest quality.

It is like a band releasing all the recording takes at a studio not the finished album,

Nov 25 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Maura Solis

Miami, Florida, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Yes Maura the issue with full res cd's is that you are able to print any of those images at any lowend print shop, on your home printer, and pass them off as quality work.
or you can take the set and falsly submit it to other websites for payment. Gaining income you did not earn.
photographers who value the quality of their work do not release every image the only release the highest quality.

It is like a band releasing all the recording takes at a studio not the finished album,

K I follow what you're saying... but I still have to wonder if that makes a difference when shooting trade for portfolio purposes only...  If the photog doesn't run off and sell my images stock or misrepresent me in any way, and I agree to not go profit from or tamper with an image shot by said photographer, what is the danger in giving me the full-size JPEGS? Or were you speaking generally and hypothetically? I have never and will never mess with a photographer's work... However, if they go make a pretty penny off some pics we took for trade, I might just gauzian blur (or whatever the hell it's called), paste in some turds, watermark the image with the photographers name and  send it out to my 14000 myspace pals.
Jk. I can come up with something better than that. wink

Nov 25 06 07:32 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

If I'm doing a simple TFP traid with testing a model I doubt I'll get very many usable images for stock out of the session. maybe one out of a whole 133 images.

If I'm shooting a set for stock I'll pay an experenced model that I know can deliver what I need and sell the set.

Most of my TFP's are quick and dirty 2 hours max, no MUA, mostly outdoors, very simple and no frills.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=86286

As for making money what do you think models do with my images???
They post them on model portfolios and then get hired for other jobs...should I then force them to pay for the quality I was able to deliver them?

None of these regulations really matter, each person has a set of negotations they will work with or not, if you agree to work together great if notm then find another person to colaberate with.

Nov 25 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

Kat McGeough

Seattle, Washington, US

TFP is supposed to be for both the photographer and the model to get something beneficial out of the shoot.  20 retouched images is great but what if absolutely none of those were useable to the model?

Ideally it should be a mutual decision which images get chosen to be touched up.  Obviously the photographer will get the first look and throw out the outlyers but there is no harm in reviewing things with the model to see what are his/her favorite photos. 

The best photographers I've worked with have sent me the raw images for me to review (of course with a request that I not use any raw images in my port), let me select a few, and then sent me a compilation of their and my touched up selections.  So far it's been a match made in heaven.  Though I can see where photographers could be concerned about the raw images getting out if working with non-trustworthy models. 

An alternate solution could be to arrange a review session to go over the images on the photographer's computer.  That works well too. 

Either way, let's just all try to remember the spirit of trade.  Both the photographer, model, MUA, and stylists are giving their time and hard work in the hopes of getting beneficial images so it's best to consider the needs of the many in these situations.

Nov 25 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I did a TFP once and gave the model a few nice prints (I shoot film), she demanded all the negs. I said you can't have my negs., I'll give you prints, up to 8X10, finely printed but you can't have my negs.
She could not understand this and just left mad at me.

Nov 25 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

It's really all about managing expectations and making it clear what exactly you're offering.  Clearly 'TFP' means different things to different people.  I don't even use the term - I just say I'm offering X number (usually four)  signed 8x10s, the same as I'll be selling, the model gets to pick them out of whatever I put up on the website for sale.  I priority mail them to her packaged just like when I sell them.  She's also welcome to use the web sized images for self promotion.  I don't provide high resolution images, so there's no need for a CD.

That works for a lot of folks.  For others not so much.  Just depends on what they want.  Frankly many of the folks I do TFP with have zero interest in modeling - they're doing it because they can't afford my portrait business and they're saving hundreds of dollars.  But many of those folks have been my best models, so go figure.

Nov 25 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Drags himself out of the deep well of sleep and stares blurry-eyed at the exploding nova light that is the monitor. As the dim processes of his slow brain awaken - oh, no! Another model didn't get their just deserts, not enough photos from a test shoot! AAAAGGGGGGGG! He imagines the live, forever beaten, twisted, bruised and tired horse neighing in agony as his spastic fingers twitch to the keyboard......

{typing} "Well, we've said it before. State the conditions up front in writing and make sure you both understand what's agreed on." {end}

In relief, his head drops back into the bed and he shudders, the tremor spilling the bedside bottle of Viagra onto the floor, which wakes the old toothless dog. The palsied dreams of the dog dissolve in the dim light of the messy room and the canine's keen nose sniffs around under the bed disturbing the laminated, sticky photos of Iona scattered about.

Drifting off he thinks, "Geeezzz, different photographers give varying value to their time, talent and expertise. Most will make use of the much maligned Gaussian blur and call it simply finished. While a few others spend days over every pore, eye vein, misplaced hair and stray cloth thread. Alas, all is not equal in the world. Some models care not a wit. Others value it much {he thanks them silently}."

The time and efforts of his models are much appreciated, but "yucks", he thinks, "I spend a major portion of my life after the lovely models have gone home to dance and per chance, dally with much joy, whilst I slave over their pussed, blackened oily pores to cleanse them from the world." He drifts back to morbid, vapid dreams of a dark, snowy landscape.

********************* DISCLAIMER **************************
Any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincidental. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. The guilty can look out for themselves. No user serviceable parts inside. Warranty void if read. Batteries not included. If males have an erection for more than four hours, please stop downloading naked photos off the web immediately. This is not legal advice, consult a lawyer. Side effects include vomiting, shooting drinks out of nose and diarrhea. Do not operate heavy, light or any machinery at all. Void where prohibited by law.

Nov 26 06 12:01 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

u guys - DON'T PRESUME TO TELL OTHER PERSONS WHAT they SHOULD BE HAPPY WITH!
In fact do yourself a favour dear readers and DON'T presume anything!

SUGGEST simply tell them if they are new to you, or modelling, what you are offering and agree it
ask them if they are awesome and experienced - if it's OK that you wont show /share the TFP images

just communicate!!

her asking IMHO was NOT a ''nerve'  ... as far as you posted it
if she had been rude 'demanding' or ungrateful she would have been out of order
just asking to see the rest ?
no!

a model learns by seeing what NOT to do BTW
and talks about those she's worked with if she thinks they are unreasonable and wont give refs.

if you hate the rest of the shots - say so
If don't want them used, send her tiny resolutions or set the computer to just write big copyrights on them all

don't attack others just for not reading your mind!

Nov 26 06 12:21 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Maura wrote:
Well I'm not a newbie to modeling and I can honestly say that almost every single photographer that has shot with me strictly TfCD has provided me with 2, 3 and even 4 cds of unedited images. As a bonus, they've thrown in 7 or so edited images. Maybe it's just my charisma? wink

Maybe you're lucky, but I would say that a photographer who needs seven blank CDs to fit all of the images they shot of you in one shoot is most likely not someone to be clamouring to work with. Even if these are very high-resolution files, that would still be hundreds of photos, and in my experience, the photographers who need to take hundreds of shots in one session and then just hand over all of the images, unedited, are not talented - they're LAZY.
Too lazy to take the time to properly compose and expose an image the first time, so they have to keep taking the same shot over and over and over, and too lazy to take the time to do even minimal Photoshop to make the photos look as good as possible, for both parties.
Is that the kind of work you want in your portfolio? The kind of photographers you want to be known for working with?
You might find good images in there, but first you have to comb through every shot, and, if have the skills, you'll have to do all of the Photoshopping yourself.
(I know photographers throw fits at the mere idea of models Photoshopping their work, but in my personal opinion, if you refuse to do it yourself, you've sufficiently proven that you don't really care. If you don't care enough to make the photo look good, why do you care if the model tries to do it on your behalf? If you give a model an image that is pretty good, but features, say, a prominent zit on her face, which would you prefer - that she edit it out herself, or just not put it in her portfolio at all? I guess the third option would be for the model to post it as-is, zit and all, but most models, myself included, would NOT take this option, and understandably so.)
I guess I don't understand why a model would rather have EVERY shot, even the really bad ones, than have a few that are actually flattering. What exactly are you planning on doing with those bad photos?

[edit] At the same time, there is this tone among some photographers in this thread that models should feel lucky to get any images at all, scoffing at model's "demands," etc. It's been pointed out before, but it should be reiterated: If a model isn't being paid and isnt getting good images, or a quantity agreed on as fair in advance, why should she work with you? Or should we just feel blessed that any photographer is willing to grace us with their presence at all, oh lordy?

Nov 26 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

tgimaging wrote:
IF I'm understanding you correctly, they got a copy of each image shot - albeit on contact sheet.

Not in my case. The model got to look at every shot taken. They mark the shots they like for my consideration and give the contact sheet back after a critique from the agency. This was until a few models didn't give the contact sheets back. Then I stop letting them take the contact sheets period. The model should get to see all the shots. But only the finished prints are released.

I tend to not like having color blind significant others printing my shots out on tissue paper from their free printers with the magenta ink gone and streaky print nozzles and then showing them off. Nor are WalMart prints or even custom labs prints (sometimes) any better. Some don't spot their prints for dust specks. I do have a signed, written agreement that says I can revoke usaged if the quality of any copies are not up to quality. Nor can my files be re-sampled, altered or changed.

Have given six or seven models complete contact sheets. This means that every single picture was perfect. It's a very special reward for a perfect session. At one time, this was considered a special achivement for a model - a series of perfect contact sheets in their book.

Nov 26 06 01:23 am Link