Forums > General Industry > I tied up a model for the first time this weekend

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I never really understood this fetish. Until now. What kinky fun this is and I never knew it. Anyways, I didn't really tie her up. I just made it look like I did. I didn't pay attention to that part of my Boy Scout training. I need to brush up on my knot skills. No pictures yet. Still sorting through them to find the right one to post.

Nov 21 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I never really understood this fetish. Until now. What kinky fun this is and I never knew it. Anyways, I didn't really tie her up. I just made it look like I did. I didn't pay attention to that part of my Boy Scout training. I need to brush up on my knot skills. No pictures yet. Still sorting through them to find the right one to post.

You might want to invest in some bondage rope.

Nov 21 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

There are many good knot books out there,too.But as someone who has done fetish work please do pay attention to the safety issues that can arise during a bondage shoot.

Nov 21 06 10:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Okay.

Nov 21 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I saw one of them! *jumping up and down*

neener neener.

Nov 21 06 10:56 pm Link

Model

mi-ju

Garden Grove, California, US

cute~ :3

Nov 21 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

RayAndrews

Dallas, Texas, US

John Jebbia wrote:

wasn't as easy as it looks smile

Nov 22 06 06:23 am Link

Photographer

RayAndWen

OLD HICKORY, Tennessee, US

Did the model giggle? The ones we shoot won't stop giggling.

Nov 22 06 06:28 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Tyign is so much work.

Nov 22 06 06:41 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

BlindMike wrote:
Tyign is so much work.

So is foreplay but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it...

Nov 22 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

BlackWatch wrote:

Sometimes I'm anxious.

Nov 22 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I never really understood this fetish. Until now. What kinky fun this is and I never knew it.

I keep trying to tell you guys.

www.rainbowrope.com

Nov 22 06 06:49 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Welcome to the dark side, John;-)

Nov 22 06 07:52 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Rainbow rope is a STELLAR resource. I have several of their ropes, and they are very nice, and come in just about every color under the sun.

Another suggestion is looking into buying Midori's book The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage.
Bondage and shibari isn't actually as much about knots as you'd think. There really aren't any knots in Midori's book at all. The ties are quick and easy to perform and when done neatly look really really good. Its a very easy to follow book and I highly recommend it.

Congratulations! Terrific that you had so much fun!! Rope is yummy!

Oh, and someone else said it: Safety FIRST!
-Always always always have a good knife or pair of bondage scissors on hand. Something like this: http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort= … tyle=KN211 (sorry for the long link) actually works best, and is only about 15.00.
-Always be aware of limbs in strange positions, either bent to an extreme or straight out. Be conscious of hands over the head and of the blood flow.
-Keep an eye out for change in color of anything that is tied. A gray color is the precourser (I am sure I spelled that wrong... I just woke up!) to Blue, and should be immediately untied.
-Ask the model frequently how she is feeling. Ask her about her hands, touch them too, because the temperature will tell you something. Very cold is usually not so good!

Have fun!!!

Nov 22 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

if I tie anyone up, I am stealing  their wallet.

Nov 22 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

put an ad up on craigslist once

model needed for shibari

they all thought it was a diner shoot..

Nov 22 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

John Jebbia wrote:

I have done this more than once.  Girls ask for it!  It's great!!

Nov 22 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

lotusphoto wrote:

model needed for shibari

where you're bound to enjoy the meal

Nov 22 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Z_Photo wrote:

grooooan

Nov 22 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I tied up a model for the first time this weekend

Just don’t make the same mistake the rest of us make by untying her wink

Nov 22 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

LWF

Bellingham, Washington, US

Z_Photo wrote:

lol....

Nov 22 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dansbondagebabes

Norman, Oklahoma, US

fun hmmm...very differant. like anything it takes practice!!! fun to practice though.  smile

Nov 22 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

BlackWatch wrote:

(wink)

Nov 22 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

John Jebbia wrote:

Congratulations, John ...

Nov 22 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

How does one ask a model to try bondage without risking getting to never work with that model again, or told off or....who knows what. I would like to try it sometime but the models in my area (close) I think would creep out on me.

Nov 22 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

oy veh

Nov 22 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Doug Sampson wrote:
How does one ask a model to try bondage without risking getting to never work with that model again, or told off or....who knows what. I would like to try it sometime but the models in my area (close) I think would creep out on me.

the best way to start if you've never done it before is find a model that does this type of work. Begin there and be honest that you're a beginner. You may even want to ask to find someone that knows how to rig pretty well, as the model can't do it herself (most of the time).

After that, come up with a concept for a project, and find some examples of what you are attempting to do. The more artistic it is (that doesn't mean complex rope work) I believe the more a model might be likley to try it out.

Just my two cents. It won't buy you a stick of gum for sure smile

Nov 22 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

lotusphoto wrote:

model needed for shibari

So that's where I went wrong? My ad read, "Model wanted for Unagi." The model showed up with chopsticks and Wasabi.

Nov 22 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

thats very naughty, but it is wicked fun.

Nov 22 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

John Jebbia wrote:

It's wild. A couple weeks ago, a photog friend of mine who shoots bondage, invited me to one of his shoots. Sure, I went. Thought it'd be interesting to check out. The model was tied, and I mean tied. I was like, damn! Well, it lasted about 5/10 minutes. The model flipped out. She was fine one minute, then the next... the whole emotional thing that goes with it took over and she freaked, ended the shoot. It was wild.

Nov 22 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Photographers Northwest

Hayden, Idaho, US

good source for rope: Twisted Monk

sites for gen rope bondage info:
Rope fashions
Japanrope.com
A good site in gen, touches on methods and saftey
Another good site..CRAM
Bondage U

these are all good places to snoop and will give you some basic ideas. Have fun :-)

Nov 22 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

BlindMike wrote:
:
Tyign is so much work.
Blackwatch Wrote:

Sometimes tying is foreplay...

Nov 22 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doctor E

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Rope?  Photos?  What a bunch of weirdos...  lol.

Welcome to the fun!

With respect to the safety issues - another good source for 'emergency' scissors is an army surplus store or a medical supply store.  Just look for the EMT scissors.  They are pretty inexpensive and they'll cut through most anything.

As far as getting the models in your area to work with you - I'd certainly suggest poking around in the friends lists of the photographers in this thread...  Where there are bondage photographers, there are usually bondage models.  Once you feel comfortable with your results, you'll find that having interesting photos goes a looooong way towards opening the conversation with a 'vanilla' model.  Just put a few of the images in your portfolio!

Good luck!!!
E.

Nov 22 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Rossi Photography wrote:
It's wild. A couple weeks ago, a photog friend of mine who shoots bondage, invited me to one of his shoots. Sure, I went. Thought it'd be interesting to check out. The model was tied, and I mean tied. I was like, damn! Well, it lasted about 5/10 minutes. The model flipped out. She was fine one minute, then the next... the whole emotional thing that goes with it took over and she freaked, ended the shoot. It was wild.

Rope can do that to you. It makes some people feel claustrophobic. It can also do strange things to other's heads, particularly if there are some unresovled issues that they arent' even aware of. Pasts can come out in a nasty way when doing things like rope. Face, it most of us aren't put in such a confining and vulnable position at any point in our lives. When we end up like that its usuall considered negative.

But for some of us, rope makes us quite happy, thankfully smile

Nov 22 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Welll SHOOOT  DARN.

THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD

Whats next,   all the fashion friends will be wanting to shoot with rope and whips and chains.

Just teasin.

It would be nice if you wouldnt tell anyone about how much fun it is.

I'd hate for word to get out.

Nov 22 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

The first time I did a bondage shoot was at the model's suggestion.  She specifically wanted to be bound and suspended above the floor, head down.  The model is a good friend of mine and I have asked her to do outrageous things for my photos in the past, so now it was her turn to make a request.  I begged off until I could do some research on Japanese bondage and knots.  I actually got the knot info off of a British Boy Scout web site that featured animated .gifs illustrating how to tie various knots!  My main worry was that the knots wouldn't hold as my studio has a concrete floor.  On the big day, everything went fine, but I was praying for the knots to hold all through the shoot.

Doug

Nov 22 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It's all in the knots........

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/hforsythe/Bonne_2152-500K-.jpg

Nov 22 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Doug Sampson wrote:
How does one ask a model to try bondage without risking getting to never work with that model again, or told off or....who knows what.

You simply find models who feature fetish/bondage images in their ports.  It may not be something they do with every photographer, but it's definitely the place to start.

Doug Sampson wrote:
I would like to try it sometime but the models in my area (close) I think would creep out on me.

Don't be so sure of that...I live in Pensyl-tucky and don't seem to have any trouble finding models here.

You might also consider saving your pennies for a trip to next year's FetishCon...it's the place to be for both aspiring and established fetish/bondage photographers.

Nov 22 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Rossi Photography wrote:

I was there for that shoot as well, and from the standpoint of someone who does bondage imagery a lot, I would guess that the model flipping out had very little to do with the ropes and a lot to do with the emotional dynamics of who she was modelling with.  It was the third time I've shot with her and she'd never flipped out on me...

Nov 22 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dansbondagebabes

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Doug Sampson wrote:

just ask mainly try cloths on. alot of your models would look cute. just say wanna try something differant!!! they know you too. try i just tell models have fun stand there and look cute!!!  no problem??

Dan

Nov 22 06 05:57 pm Link