Forums > General Industry > WHY?? Shoes in nude pics

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Webspinner wrote:

http://pics.livejournal.com/infamouslap … 047sw5.jpg

I really would like to know (and since I can't upload on mm right now) does this pic look cheap?

No...actually I think it works well.  But then I tend to have alot foot/shoe inagery in my photos as you well know ;-)

Nov 19 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I like them either way.  If you do not like shoes or heels then do not shoot them that way.  Simple. bs

Nov 19 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

Enter the Devil's Advocate ...

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
It's another device, cliche, what-have-you, as well-loved as it tends to be. And it says usually says "cheap."

And like most ready-made, easy and popular devices - such as trying to copy the editorial fashion of ten years ago - it either works or ends up looking cheap.

It could be argued that the advantage with camp is that when it works, it really works but when mimicking 'art' or old fashion, even the successes are pretty lame.

It all depends upon whether one prefers a wide, easy success window or tightrope.

Shoot what interests you and hope that others do the same.

Nov 19 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Tom deL wrote:
Enter the Devil's Advocate ...

And like most ready-made, easy and popular devices - such as trying to copy the editorial fashion of ten years ago - it either works or ends up looking cheap.

It could be argued that the advantage with camp is that when it works, it really works but when mimicking 'art' or old fashion, even the successes are pretty lame.

It all depends upon whether one prefers a wide, easy success window or tightrope.

Shoot what interests you and hope that others do the same.

He's alive. ;-)

You were pretty far off-base from the beginning with me, but I think you've made up your mind. So be it...

BTW to all. In one of those many "cliche" threads we get like 3 of per day, it was yesterday or the day before I'd said that as lame as cliches can be, there's no need to be truly ideologically against then. Same with this one. This is just one that's rarely mentioned and well-liked in a number of genres, but 9 times out of 10 puts my bullshit detector into full alert. There are good pictures made in spite of it. There are even some (not many) made because of it.

Most of the time, it's a device that people throw in because they think it reads "sexy." That's the very definition of a "cliche" that people are always referring to.

I hate many of the cliches that people use to immediately say "editorial fashion" without putting anything into the picture as well. (That's for Tom.)

The fact is, cliches make things a quick read. Also a forgettable read. Without them, pictures very often DO read slower, and not quite as universally. And I think they're remembered a little more.

Nov 19 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I love her... this shot will change your mind > https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1672622

Nov 19 06 08:09 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

What does your sensibility tell you? Nevermind what I say.

I tend to agree with you 99% of the time but not in this one. Doesn't always have to be cheap if cliche presents ...

What do you think of that image?

https://img-2006-11.photosight.ru/17/1769605.jpg

Nov 19 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Not my favorite (and it's not just the shoes) but it's not horrible.

Nov 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Why do people go bare feet in clothed pictures?  It really troubles me.

Nov 19 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

I tend to agree with you 99% of the time but not in this one. Doesn't always have to be cheap if cliche presents ...

There was another one I do not seem to be capable to find right now ...
She is sitting on the couch nude, lighting a cigarette. Clothing is all over the floor. Her look and drops of sweat on her forehead clues on what was going on couple minutes ago. And her shoes are still on ...
This was one of the most sensual images I have seen.

Nov 19 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Well, this one is just to laugh together smile

http://img-2006-11.photosight.ru/13/1760648.jpg

** Image removed 18+ **

Nov 19 06 08:39 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Not my favorite

But still cheap?

How about this one?

http://img-2006-11.photosight.ru/08/1752769.jpg

** Image 18+, removed direct reference by Mod **

Nov 19 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

I don't get the shoes thing either. I've never worn heels in my nudes.

(shrug)

Nov 19 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Kaos Beauty Klinik wrote:
Because sometimes the contrast between the natural and the constructed can be part of the allure of an image.

No wonder I like your work so much smile
So many see contrast only as light and dark.

Nov 19 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Those are nice shoes. And a pretty girl. And she's naked. And it's not working.

BTW, as I said before, I'm not religious about this. I've seen instances when it works, and I'd probably do it myself at the right moment. The problem in my eyes is that lots and lots and lots of people do this by default all the time, and you heard the reasons why above. They like the look of women in high heels and they like the implications. It's a preference to them.

If that's the way they like it, so be it. It tends to set off my bullshit detector in the same way that a whole bunch of other cliches that people rant about tend to. But I know that this is one that a lot of people actually like.

Nov 19 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Nov 19 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

mphot wrote:
I have never understood, perhaps I am naieve as to why so very many nude shots are not "Barefoot"  Nudie shoots with long spiked heels look weird, maybe the models need a quick getaway and theres broken glass everywhere..??  Pretty feet can be expressive.

Heels help soften the curveature of the hip & pop out the calf muscles.

Nov 19 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

The problem in my eyes is that lots and lots and lots of people do this by default all the time, and you heard the reasons why above. They like the look of women in high heels and they like the implications....

Why did I even read this topic [cry]????
Even very hardly I can imagine myself going out naked but not without my high heels ...lol....

Nov 19 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Please, no posting 18+ pictures in forum!

Leo - Moderator

Nov 19 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Why did I even read this topic [cry]????
Even very hardly I can even imagine myself going out naked but not without my high heels ...lol....

Oh don't cry! Smile. It's easy. :-)

Nov 19 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

He's alive. ;-)

Yes, thank you. Miracles of modern science and all of that.

You were pretty far off-base from the beginning with me, but I think you've made up your mind. So be it...

Surely I am being obtuse - can you enlighten me (off-baseness as well as what you think that you know of my mind). PM would be fine ...

BTW to all. In one of those many "cliche" threads we get like 3 of per day, it was yesterday or the day before I'd said that as lame as cliches can be, there's no need to be truly ideologically against then. Same with this one. This is just one that's rarely mentioned and well-liked in a number of genres, but 9 times out of 10 puts my bullshit detector into full alert. There are good pictures made in spite of it. There are even some made because of it.

Most of the time, it's a device that people throw in because they think it reads "sexy." That's the very definition of a "cliche" that people are always referring to.

I hate many of the cliches that people use to immediately say "editorial fashion" without putting anything into the picture as well. (That's for Tom.)

My point was that using those cliches is the safe walk. A failure is simply a tad less boring than success.

The fact is, cliches make things a quick read. Also a forgettable read. Without them, pictures very often DO read slower, and not quite as universally. And I think they're remembered a little more.

You will see people doing things like 'Maxim Style' or 'W Style' and smacking themselves on the back for being so cutting edge. What they don't get is that cliche is precisely what Maxim (Playboy, Vogue, W, on and on) wants. That is what sells. Magazines don't care any more about quality photography than restaurant chains care about good food. They want predictable, comfortable cliches so's folks won't be frightened away from the goods that they exist to sell.

If magazine photography is your goal and you can be the one who defines the next cliche, great. Otherwise you are sort of stuck aping the latest cliche, eh?

Nov 19 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
https://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/catiel08/cat_platz_fhm1-1.jpg

I guess that tells everyone how I feel about it!  wink

Nov 19 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Tom deL wrote:
You will see people doing things like 'Maxim Style' or 'W Style' and smacking themselves on the back for being so cutting edge.

Much to my chagrin, the point that people sometimes miss in what I say and do is that I don't like or aspire to that, either.

Tom deL wrote:
What they don't get is that cliche is precisely what Maxim (Playboy, Vogue, W, on and on) wants. That is what sells. Magazines don't care any more about quality photography than restaurant chains care about good food. They want predictable, comfortable cliches so's folks won't be frightened away from the goods that they exist to sell.

And so goes about half of the difficulties I have to deal with in day-to-day life.

Tom deL wrote:
If magazine photography is your goal and you can be the one who defines the next cliche, great. Otherwise you are sort of stuck aping the latest cliche, eh?

That would be one way of looking at it, and while not inaccurate, it's not my preferred way of looking at it. Fortunately, the game still isn't over yet. :-)

Nov 19 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

I believe artists who are original seers we owe to ourselves to be true to our own unique vision. Find that and do that. If you're called to nudes barefoot, with shoes, or whatever, just be true to your self.

Nov 20 06 04:54 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

mphot wrote:
I have never understood, perhaps I am naieve as to why so very many nude shots are not "Barefoot"  Nudie shoots with long spiked heels look weird, maybe the models need a quick getaway and theres broken glass everywhere..??  Pretty feet can be expressive.

1. I want my models to be safe and as comfortable as possible and bare feet are often dangerious in my favorite locations.
2. Cold feet suck and end a session quicker than cold buns.
3. I HATE form nudes and want as much aboutthe model's personality in the nude imges i make as possible. Shoes are very much a reflection of the wearer.
4. Did I mention it's safer than stepping on sharp things in nature? Better balance too...granted i rarely use high heels.
5. I think feet are ugly

Nov 20 06 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Mike Walker wrote:
5. I think feet are ugly

You've never seen mine, have you Mike? Mine are just as smooth and soft as a baby's feet. LOL(those that know me understand the joke, I think).

Nov 20 06 05:17 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I can only assume! LOL...I admit there ARE LESS ugly feet..but I'd just rather keep em covered when possible...But the saftey and the adding personality..like tan lines..are my main reasons for shooting nudes with shoes.
Mike
Examples..18+

For the atmosphere https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=710616
For fun .. https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1415975
MOSTLY for safety https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1583428
She had them on anyway https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1644855
Another Texture AND personality https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1705010
She was getting undressed https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1706100

Nov 20 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I've shot them both ways...it really depends on the model, environment and what I'm trying to accomplish with the photo.

Women wear sexy shoes. Is this a big enough problem to warrant a thread about it?

Nov 20 06 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

mphot wrote:
I have never understood, perhaps I am naieve as to why so very many nude shots are not "Barefoot"  Nudie shoots with long spiked heels look weird....

Huh?!? WHAT? how!!!  (shakes head)  thinks "what did he just say???"

Long red spiked heels are more beautiful than the colors of a rainbow,
a sunset in Hawaii, a cool ocean breeze, or the plaintive call of the nightingale.

Nov 20 06 05:50 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

LanaV wrote:

I need all the help I can get ;-)

Trust us.. you need no help in looking absolutely beautiful...

Nov 20 06 07:18 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

So a model can say "I wasn't nude, I was wearing shoes!"

Nov 20 06 07:26 am Link

Model

Kimberley

Brighton, Alabama, US

Eikona wrote:
And depending on the kind of shoe, it's just plain sexy. Again, as pointed out above, that's a matter of taste and opinion. I love bare feet in nudes, but I also love expensive, tasteful heels.

I agree! x

Nov 20 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

It is a matter of taste, so there is no right or wrong, but in general in bed i prefer barefoot or in  reclining poses barefoot. out of bed either or

Nov 20 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

mphot wrote:
Pretty feet can be expressive.

Sure, if the feet are the focus of the shoot.

Speaking for myself only, the right shoes on a nude model is like strawberries, powdered sugar and syrup on pancakes - is just that little bit of visual accentuation that gives the subject matter a bit of extra appeal. Sure, looks great without, but looks just THAT much more appetizing with the garnish. big_smile

Nov 20 06 09:29 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

lll wrote:
Please, no posting 18+ pictures in forum!

Leo - Moderator

Opps. My bad. I will remember this.

Nov 20 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Savvy1007 wrote:
So a model can say "I wasn't nude, I was wearing shoes!"

Good one!

Nov 20 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

mphot wrote:

Yes. They need cowboy boots.

Nov 20 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

J n X Photography wrote:
heels give women a better posture and makes their rear ends look sexier and their legs longer (even when lying down)

Exactly. Calf muscles look tighter, etc...

Nov 20 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Smak

pw-gii photographics wrote:
Just let it go.  Shoot what you like to shoot and let others shoot what they like to shoot. There's room here for everyone.

I agree - totally.  I hate it when everything needs be pigeonholed and categorized.

http://www.macsfocus.com/Jamie/jsep4.html

Nov 20 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

Los Angeles, California, US

Even if I'm shooting a pro tennis player in her tennis outfit. I'll put her in the tallest heels wardrobe has brought, then shoot it as a 3/4.   Heels are key to a womans body looking it's best. This is irrespective of what she's wearing.  Unless she's lying down, then it's just sexy.

Capische?

Nov 20 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

LanaV

Los Angeles, California, US

AndrewG wrote:

Trust us.. you need no help in looking absolutely beautiful...

Why thank you Andrew, you just made my whole day ;-)

Lana

Nov 20 06 04:17 pm Link