Forums > General Industry > Eliminating poor communication - the model's form.

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

tgimaging wrote:
I agree with you about the interrogating. Sometimes when they call, I truly am rushed for time, or in the middle of another aspect of work, and I can't give them my full attention. Then it tends to come off blunt and rude. I'm interested in knowing their likes and dis-likes as it pertains to the shoot, but it's hard to do when your rushed.

Are there any questions that might be a little awkward to ask face to face especially when using inexperienced, first time models? Would presenting them on a form be an easier way to allow them time to answer?

I try not to rush a model interview.  For me, certain models represent a long term committed relationship.   So, I usually conduct some info via writing and then a phone interview (to hear how answers are delivered.  and in some cases what isn't said is as important as what is said.) Phone interviews are important to me, I would NEVER rely on just written answers.

Moreover, if I knowingly had an awkward question (I'm trying to think of what that might be) I'd use face to face or phone communication rather than just sending a form.  I'd look at it as an exercise in building trust and understanding between 2 people.

Nov 19 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nov 19 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I try not to rush a model interview.  For me, certain models represent a long term committed relationship.   So, I usually conduct some info via writing and then a phone interview (to hear how answers are delivered.  and in some cases what isn't said is as important as what is said.) Phone interviews are important to me, I would NEVER rely on just written answers.

Moreover, if I knowingly had an awkward question (I'm trying to think of what that might be) I'd use face to face or phone communication rather than just sending a form.  I'd look at it as an exercise in building trust and understanding between 2 people.

What information are you getting/sending during the writing that you send?

As TX mentioned, talking about the shoot details is important. The collaboration is really important to communicate the instructions. That is something which can change in a instance.

Nov 20 06 05:03 am Link