Forums > General Industry > I'm kinda shy - Just how do I approach her?

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Recently while having lunch at a local restaurant, I noticed that they had hired a new waitress. This girl/woman, age approximately 21/22, is a total knockout. By looking at her I would say she is likely Persian. She has these real exotic features about her face, my wife and I even sat there and discussed various make-up applications for awhile.

I'm kind of freakin' for one reason or another and kind of hesitant to ask if she would be interested in a shoot. So what is wrong with me? Why am I being so backward about this? How should I approach her?

Gary

Nov 18 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Recently while having lunch at a local restaurant, I noticed that they had hired a new waitress. This girl/woman, age approximately 21/22, is a total knockout. By looking at her I would say she is likely Persian. She has these real exotic features about her face, my wife and I even sat there and discussed various make-up applications for awhile.

I'm kind of freakin' for one reason or another and kind of hesitant to ask if she would be interested in a shoot. So what is wrong with me? Why am I being so backward about this? How should I approach her?

Gary

Tip her big, let her remember you. Then leave her a business card.

Nov 18 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Let your wife do it. Let her go up to her and say that she (wife) is starting to learn how to do makeup and that she and you (who happens to be a professional photographer) would like to know if the waitress would be interested in doing a shoot so the wife can 'practice'.

Nov 18 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

Take your book (or make a smaller easy to carry portfolio) with you.  Make sure she's not busy when you talk to her.  Show your work, give her an idea or two you'd like to shoot with her, and give her a card.  Don't ask for an answer on the spot, tell her to think about it, and if she's interested, give you a call.

Nov 18 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

OnePixArt

Los Angeles, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

Hand her a business card with info on your portfolio. Ask her to get in touch with you if she is interested.

Nov 18 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I have hashed around all of these suggestions in my head and tremble even at the thought of handing her a business card. I don't know if my problem lies in the fact that I know the other employees there and I feel they'll think I'm going weird on them or what. It's as if I feel I'll be rejected, then laughed at behind my back as a result of it. Does this make sense?

Nov 18 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Hand her a business card with info on your portfolio. Ask her to get in touch with you if she is interested.

Absolutely correct.  My card has my studio name, my name, studio address, phone, and website address.  If she's interested, she'll check it all out. Just be perfectly straightforward about it.  Please, don't try to show her a portfolio while she's working.

Ron

Nov 18 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

most people will never reject you to your face. in fact, most people are very flattered if you tell them you think they could model. i've passed out my card many times and people have never said "HELL NO YOU EFFIN CREEP!"

Nov 18 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
I have hashed around all of these suggestions in my head and tremble even at the thought of handing her a business card. I don't know if my problem lies in the fact that I know the other employees there and I feel they'll think I'm going weird on them or what. It's as if I feel I'll be rejected, then laughed at behind my back as a result of it. Does this make sense?

No.

Be proud to be a photographer.

You're acting like your 15 yrs old.

R-E-L-A-X.

Hand her your business card, and tell her to contact her if she is interested. Act like you don't care if she ever calls you.

If you act desperate, she will never call.

Now, take a d-e-e-p breath...

Nov 18 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Sure.  No one likes to be rejected or laughed at.  So what?  If you try, you might fail.  If you don't try, you will certainly fail.

Ron

Nov 18 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

The tip thing might make her think you are trying to bribe her into posing. Just give her a business card, express interest, offer to show her your photos. I almost never show a model my nude photography the first time we are in contact, even if I want to do nudes of her. Unless I already know she has interest or experience in nude modeling. If she asks to see more then I show her a site with more of my work on it which includes nudes.

Just be nice and honest. You will score more points if YOU talk to her directly, not by having someone else approach her. That is so,,,high school.

The worst she can say is no. If she says no, move on. There are plenty of other exotic Persian beauties out there.

You might also wanna do a forum search on this subject,too. There are a few where models give really good input.

Nov 18 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

This is business not asking for a date in High School. If she decides not to accept your invitation, then it's her loss.

Btw, I have some tent-cards printed that have my logo on the front and inside it says, "Hi, I'm a professional photographer and I've noticed you and believe you have major potential at modeling.  This card is an invitation to photo-shoot with me at no charge for up to three hours.  I do hope you'll accept my invitation for a free photoshoot, no strings attached, except to professionally capture your beauty." - I sign 'em, put a business card inside them, put them in an envelope, and have a few with me all the time for situations like the one you just mentioned.  It also has our website so potentials can check up out further if need be.

Give it a try.

In every case that a girl or guy were asked to model or invited to model they were complimented and actually blushed or got a bit embarassed.  One ask me why I'd shoot them for free: I said it was like a free sample. If they liked what they saw, they might tell their friends or send me business my way. 

Good luck, Tim

Nov 18 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Creative Image wrote:

Sure.  No one likes to be rejected or laughed at.  So what?  If you try, you might fail.  If you don't try, you will certainly fail.

Ron

I recently frequented the new Hooters that opened near my studio.  I had several Tent-Invitations/Business Cards with me.  My girlfriend went with me, too.  We invited three or four of the 'less than stunning' models for a free shoot - and then waited.  Soon, our table was swarming with all the more attractive models just trying to get our attention.  We handed out three or four more 'invitations to shoot' and ended up with four paying clients and we're now the 'official' photographer for this particular Hooters resturant.

Which leads me to another point: Make friends with the staff, including the manager, and they will actually help you out when you want to shoot of of their staff.

Nov 18 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Talking to a girl at a bank, or at a market, or to one that's just eating with her friends, can be a bit intimidating. This is because girls are usually leery of photographers just walking up to them for a shoot.
However, talking to a waitress is probably the easiest of all.
I was in a similar situation once. You don't need to ask her. She will ask you. You come to the restaurant with a camera with the biggest lense you have and put it on the table with a light meter. Also bring a few 8x10's of some beautiful pics you took and spread them around the table like your viewing proofs or something. You don't have to bring up the topic. She will. By the time she refills your second cup of coffee, she'll say "Oh, are you a photographer?" or "That's pretty, did you take those?" or something like that. Then you can strike up a conversation from there and give her your card.

Nov 18 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

have your wife and you do it if you're too shy alone big_smile  and leave your business card smile

Nov 18 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
Talking to a girl at a bank, or at a market, or to one that's just eating with her friends, can be a bit intimidating. This is because girls are usually leery of photographers just walking up to them for a shoot.
However, talking to a waitress is probably the easiest of all.
I was in a similar situation once. You don't need to ask her. She will ask you. You come to the restaurant with a camera with the biggest lense you have and put it on the table with a light meter. Also bring a few 8x10's of some beautiful pics you took and spread them around the table like your viewing proofs or something. You don't have to bring up the topic. She will. By the time she refills your second cup of coffee, she'll say "Oh, are you a photographer?" or "That's pretty, did you take those?" or something like that. Then you can strike up a conversation from there and give her your card.

lol, you're clever I like this strategy smile  I've never done this before smile

Nov 18 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

its better to get 10 no responses than to have never asked at all.      the best model i ever had i found in a parking lot she did a 2 hour shoot for $50 right after i talked to her.

Nov 18 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

It is hard the first time you ask but it does get easier, be confident. Expect her to say yes.  If she does not there will be someone else, but if she says no don't push it, leave it a few months, but keep using the resturant.

Nov 18 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

ask her for sex, when she finds out you  are joking,  she will be relieved that you only want photos.

Nov 18 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
ask her for sex, when she finds out you  are joking,  she will be relieved that you only want photos.

But what if she says yes to sex?  He still needs to ask her how to pose for him too.

Nov 18 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Indeed this is a proven method...especially if ya ask for very odd or deviant type sex = )

Nov 18 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

I'm often the same when I am by myself.  But when I'm with a girl that I have worked with, I'm more bold because I feel I have an instant character reference.

Nov 18 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Creativity Farm wrote:

But what if she says yes to sex?  He still needs to ask her how to pose for him too.

Bonus 2 for 1

Nov 18 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Lots of valid comments here. Thinking about it, I'm not sure "shy" was the right word. I think the situation just seemed awkward. And since many of the employees know me as a quiet individual, to all of a sudden come on as some sort of salesman/solicitor would seem odd to them.

I guess next time I'll just do it and if things go weird I'll find a new restaurant. big_smile

Gary

Nov 18 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Most women are flattered that you ask.

Just wipe the drool off your chin and make sure your zipper is up.

Nov 18 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Dec 16 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Show confidence.

And carry a clean portfolio with you (or two if you shoot nudes).

Dec 16 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Most women are flattered that you ask.

Just wipe the drool off your chin and make sure your zipper is up.

Oh? Huh? The zipper is UP?  Damn, I keep forgetting the largest of details wink

Dec 16 06 12:52 am Link

Model

Jael M

Houston, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

You think that women will laugh at you behind your back because you complimented a waitress so much that you would photographer her? Sorry, but if anything it will start a cat-fight to get your card. Nothing makes women more pissed off than a man who wants another woman more. Most likely...your table service is about to get a looot better.

-Jael

Dec 16 06 01:01 am Link

Model

Adieu

Ah yes, us Persians have that kind of affect on people, haha.

But I agree with asking your wife to confront her.

Dec 16 06 01:04 am Link

Model

Pasqualino

San Francisco, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Show confidence.

Peeeeeeeeerverts!

Dec 16 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Gary,  it's no problem, I will do it for you!  So what restaurant is it that she works?  wink  (I'm not shy!)

If the thought of other photographers approaching her before you doesn't motivate you, then I don't know what else will?

Dec 16 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

CLT wrote:

that should work,if she has any interest at all.good luck.

Dec 16 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

Your original post was a month ago.  We'd love to hear the good news about what happened.

Dec 16 06 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Gary

just a couple of time.... dont rush it more than likely she is there for a bit so play it smooth......... tip her a few times.. say good morning ..... more than likely she has  name badge so address her by her name..... dang man just befriend the girl..... it would be funny that u recking ur brain then find out she is a stripper... ha ha ha ha ha ha  that would be funny............

Dec 16 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Scribe of Souls

Bonner Springs, Kansas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

It makes perfect sense.......for Jr. High School.  However, you are a married adult who happens to be a photographer...a professional.  Are you sure that maybe you are not starting the "Seven Year Itch", to be that shy and bashful about it?  Otherwise, just give your wife a business card and have her make the initial contact.  No problem.

Dec 16 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7121/prod36212587tn8.gif

Dec 16 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Show confidence.

Pasqualino wrote:
Peeeeeeeeerverts!

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough, I'm sorry for that.

I said carry two portfolios with you if you shoot nudes (as a photographer).
One portfolio one without any nudes (clean) if the model is not interested in shooting nude, which he should be able to find out before he closes the deal and produces the portfolio for the prospect to view.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Dec 16 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

Dont ....Have her approach you

Next time you go there - meet another  model  (you have shot)   for lunch and sit in your waitresses section ( so she serves You ) ...With the other model review the photos ( non nude of course ) that you ahve  shot together.If said waitress shows any interest - well you have her hooked

Dec 16 06 04:22 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Creativity Farm wrote:
Take your book (or make a smaller easy to carry portfolio) with you.  Make sure she's not busy when you talk to her.  Show your work, give her an idea or two you'd like to shoot with her, and give her a card.  Don't ask for an answer on the spot, tell her to think about it, and if she's interested, give you a call.

If I were the girl you wanted to approach, this would work well with me. It's certainly the best idea I've read and the one with the best possible outcome if she is interested as well. It's not aggressive or sleazy but it puts the idea out there for her if she wants it. Let us know how it goes smile

Dec 16 06 08:39 am Link