Forums > General Industry > Models with ink and Pinup - more acceptable today?

Model

Taylor Valentine

San Diego, California, US

I WISH I had tattoos! I find, a lot of pinup photographers prefer that their girls HAVE tattoos. Sometimes I wonder if not having tattoos is hurting me-- Maybe I look too boring or ordinary sad   I LOVE tatoos!  I wish I could get them--  But, I also throw up when a needle comes near me, or there is blood involved!  LOL!

Nov 18 06 04:08 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Personally I love tattoos, I have non, and doubt I would ever get one. Tattoos can eithet be very beautiful or ugly..Honestly I think there are some lovely women with tattoos who do pin up modeling...

Nov 18 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photos

Heath, Ohio, US

I love tats and peircings. If anyone think its wrong then they are wrong. Its all about taste. I love shooting retro pin up style tattoos and all.

Nov 18 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Taylor Valentine wrote:
I WISH I had tattoos! I find, a lot of pinup photographers prefer that their girls HAVE tattoos. Sometimes I wonder if not having tattoos is hurting me-- Maybe I look too boring or ordinary sad   I LOVE tatoos!  I wish I could get them--  But, I also throw up when a needle comes near me, or there is blood involved!  LOL!

I feel the same at times, but I love being natural to be honest!! Like a few have said its hard to find a model who is 100% natural!

Nov 18 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

Oh and if you were wondering... piercings are OK too.  Well at least in my studio of MODERN pinups!!

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/presleycoates/IMG_3903web.jpg

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/presleycoates/IMG_3113web.jpg

Nov 18 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

Darkdesire wrote:

I feel the same at times, but I love being natural to be honest!! Like a few have said its hard to find a model who is 100% natural!

having them doesn't make you more or less interesting...  just work harder on expressions/poses and with better photographers..   I work with amazing non ink girls too..  it's all in your attitude!!

Nov 18 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Some comments:

On the original topic of tattoos acceptability in pin-up:  whatever floats your boat, but in my opinion, pin-up (and fine art nude) photography is about skin, and a tattooed model can't show skin if she has ink.  A tattooed model is never nude -- she is always adorned.  Further, "classic" pin-up, to me, is about imitating the feel of mid-20th century Hollywood glamour pin-up photography, and as such, tattoos have no place. 

I've seen lots of tattoos, in person & in photographs.  In my opinion, I have yet to see any that I would call beautiful.  Further, I have never seen a tattoo that I would call "timeless" -- instead, tattoo styles will seem to date an image to a specific timeframe (i.e. late 20th & early 21st century).

To those who think you can't find models without tattoos -- you aren't looking hard enough.  Just look at this thread -- there are several models posting here who have said that they don't have ink.  I've had the pleasure of working with dozens & dozens of wonderful, beautiful, and talented models, all without ink.

Nov 18 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

miss OMEGA

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

i think girls in pin-up styles with tattoes or/and piercings looks great and its part of their styles so why not?wink

Nov 19 06 03:05 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I can go either way.

I love the classic pin-ups, but I also adore the rockabilly style with the full sleeves and chest pieces.... HOT

Nov 19 06 03:27 am Link

Model

Francesca Phires

London, England, United Kingdom

I think its awful that some of the photographers here really despise tattoos.
Tattoos are an art form, surely something that would be respected by an artist?
I've seen so many beautiful tattoos, and people that just wouldn't be the same without them.
And the modern pin up - pin up girls with body mod - is becoming extremely popular, in fact there are website dedicated to it. I hope that helps smile

Nov 19 06 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Francesca Phires wrote:
I think its awful that some of the photographers here really despise tattoos.
Tattoos are an art form, surely something that would be respected by an artist?
I've seen so many beautiful tattoos, and people that just wouldn't be the same without them.
And the modern pin up - pin up girls with body mod - is becoming extremely popular, in fact there are website dedicated to it. I hope that helps smile

Ummm -- Scottish bag pipe music is also an art form -- that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I have yet to see a tattoo I would call beautiful.  In fact, most of the tattoos I've seen are unoriginal, poorly executed, and boring.  At best, they are distracting.

Further, if we accept your premise that a tattoo is a work of art, then doesn't that mean that photographing a tattoo is not a creative act?  Rather, it is simply copying someone else's art.

Nov 19 06 10:26 am Link

Model

Francesca Phires

London, England, United Kingdom

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Ummm -- Scottish bag pipe music is also an art form -- that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I have yet to see a tattoo I would call beautiful.  In fact, most of the tattoos I've seen are unoriginal, poorly executed, and boring.  At best, they are distracting.

Further, if we accept your premise that a tattoo is a work of art, then doesn't that mean that photographing a tattoo is not a creative act?  Rather, it is simply copying someone else's art.

I'm not saying its something you have to enjoy, but respect it as someone would respect your art, even if they don't understand it. As for poorly executed and unoriginal, I'll agree with you, there are a lot of tattoos like that. But that makes the good ones even better. Look at bmezine.com if you have the time and you'll see some (what i think is) amazing stuff.

As for photographing a tattoo being copying, there are many photographers, painters, and other artists that use others work in their own, so this is surely the same.

Nov 19 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

lanoirpapillion

Moorhead, Minnesota, US

well if tattooing wasn't an art form then pop art wasn't either. to be a tattoo artist you have to be able to do all you stuff by yourself. it's not like back in the day when you basically traced a coloring book and colored it in. no in this day and age you have to be able to take someone's idea and design something that fits what they want. huge challenge you can do many many times a day. not to mention the skill it takes to execute it. i mean you're using a machine that has rapidly moving needles to put it on a a canvus that stretches and flinches.

if you can't see atleast see someone's beauty behind the ink, then how can you see beauty behind a flaw?

Nov 19 06 11:10 pm Link