Forums > General Industry > Models with ink and Pinup - more acceptable today?

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Viva Van Story wrote:

oh I love her... she's next on my list of MUST shoot!

I would be glad to hook you up, I am sad that no one noticed the eyes in the tattoo and the eyes in the model/shot. Maybe I am just too too something.

RB

Nov 17 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Something is wrong with #40

RB

Nov 17 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

SKA Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Nelia wrote:

Rossi Photography wrote:
My favorite model to work with is covered with tattoos (27). So, anytime a model/tattoo thread is started, I gotta' post shots of my girl, Leila! smile

Just think how really beautiful she would be without all that ink?

She's beatiful with her ink.

Nov 17 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I like a lot of the models doing pinup with ink,they seem to pull it off.I have six tatooes on my back and Im getting more,but I make a point to have it either airbrushed out in shots, or just not pose to where they show.If I go for more of a rockabilly pinup look..then I think it's more suitable to have them show;if it's more classic and to the books,then definately not;but that just goes for me.I think a lot of the more popular girls do a great job no matter what they do.

Nov 17 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

RBDesign wrote:

I would be glad to hook you up, I am sad that no one noticed the eyes in the tattoo and the eyes in the model/shot. Maybe I am just too too something.

RB

no worries.. we know each other..  just a plane ride away.

Nov 17 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

David Bunch wrote:
I'm finding that more and models who like to do pin-up are also carrying a fair amount of ink these days.  Is it becoming more acceptable, or not?  I'm iffy on the subject....

David

Acceptable?  For pinup, it's practically mandatory anymore.  I can't imagine where you're finding pinup models who don't have tattoos.  Ever since the punk rock, rockabilly and heavy metal subcults [where most modern pinup models are coming from] merged with tattoo culture, pinup and tattoos go hand in hand.

Nov 17 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Jessalyn wrote:

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. you don't think she is beautiful but many others do including myself.

Many, many do. She come out of a two year break from modeling... I've done most of her recent work. Since I started working with her and our work is being seen, almost every photographer in the Detroit area is wanting to shoot her. She's becoming quite popular.

Nov 17 06 09:50 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

Many, many do. She come out of a two year break from modeling... I've done most of her recent work. Since I started working with her and our work is being seen, almost every photographer in the Detroit area is wanting to shoot her. She's becoming quite popular.

that's so exciting!! smile

Nov 17 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

David Bunch wrote:
I'm finding that more and models who like to do pin-up are also carrying a fair amount of ink these days.  Is it becoming more acceptable, or not?  I'm iffy on the subject....

David

The more selective you are about the models you shoot, the fewer models you’ll be shooting.

I tend to shoot most any model as long as they have a theme I want to shoot or a look that I want to ad to my portfolio.

Nov 17 06 09:58 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Ronnie Werner

Portland, Oregon, US

Tattoos are (in most cases - don't anybody jump on me here) part of a models "look" and personality. A certain person gets tattooed and another person will never have a tattoo. I have worked with both and I like the variety. I think, if you like the model and you are trying to capture her look or personality tattoos are just another facet.

Of course all bets are off if the tattoo is a giant Yosemite Sam or Tazmanian Devil.

Nov 17 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

R0nni3 wrote:
Tattoos are (in most cases - don't anybody jump on me here) part of a models "look" and personality. A certain person gets tattooed and another person will never have a tattoo. I have worked with both and I like the variety. I think, if you like the model and you are trying to capture her look or personality tattoos are just another facet.

Of course all bets are off if the tattoo is a giant Yosemite Sam or Tazmanian Devil.

I have no issue with the Taz.

RB

Nov 17 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

R0nni3 wrote:

if someone comes in and requests that, my tattoo artist tells them to turn around and get out. that and superman signs.

Nov 17 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

Nelia wrote:

Just think how really beautiful she would be without all that ink?

WOW are you sadly mistaken.... with or without ink she is smoldering hot.....   Her ink is almost as beautiful as she is...

Nov 17 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

RBDesign wrote:

I have no issue with the Taz.

RB

well I do!!  yuck!

Nov 17 06 10:18 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Kimberlyannqt wrote:
I thought about tats at one time but then decided it wasn't for me.  But tats are beautiful on many, that is for sure.

Jessalyn wrote:
and this applies to pinup modeling in what way?

Without fail there is always one person who will chime in about how they thought about getting a tattoo regardless of whether it has shit to do with the original topic. It's as though they saw " tattoo" in the thread title and felt it was time to share with us their deep desire to get one , but didn't.

Nov 17 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Envy wrote:

Kimberlyannqt wrote:
I thought about tats at one time but then decided it wasn't for me.  But tats are beautiful on many, that is for sure.

Without fail there is always one person who will chime in about how they thought about getting a tattoo regardless of whether it has shit to do with the original topic. It's as though they saw " tattoo" in the thread title and felt it was time to share with us their deep desire to get one , but didn't.

ha ha.. so true Envy

Nov 17 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Envy wrote:

thank you! I'm glad someone else agreed with me.

Nov 17 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Viva Van Story wrote:
ha ha.. so true Envy

Jessalyn wrote:
thank you! I'm glad someone else agreed with me.

I bet if we sit quietly and wait another one will arrive. wink

Nov 17 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

Envy wrote:

Viva Van Story wrote:
ha ha.. so true Envy

I bet if we sit quietly and wait another one will arrive. wink

I was thinking about a tattoo myself.......   not sure where on Jodi Rossi's body I would put it...  so where do you think I should??

Nov 17 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Viva Van Story wrote:

well I do!!  yuck!

So who is the judge of good or not good?

Not I!

I just love all of you guys/gals that are so rightous about what is good/bad.

RB

Nov 17 06 11:05 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

RBDesign wrote:

So who is the judge of good or not good?

Not I!

I just love all of you guys/gals that are so rightous about what is good/bad.

RB

it's a standard within the tattooing community. you don't see people winning tattoo awards for doing a taz: it's unoriginal. that's all.

Nov 17 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Darker-Side of-Midnight wrote:
I was thinking about a tattoo myself.......   not sure where on Jodi Rossi's body I would put it...  so where do you think I should??

LOL...

Leila's giving me my next one (she's a tattoo artist)! tongue

Instead of me charging her for shoots, we've made a trade...I shoot her, she gives me a new tattoo. I'm getting my new one on my upper arm. Can't wait. When she gets back into town, I'm goin' to get it. Yay! smile

Nov 17 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Jessalyn wrote:
it's a standard within the tattooing community. you don't see people winning tattoo awards for doing a taz: it's unoriginal. that's all.

Grow up doing tattos is not orignal. Doing what you want to do is fine.

RB

Nov 17 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Jessalyn wrote:

If you care about "the community" you are lost.

RB

Nov 17 06 11:17 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

RBDesign wrote:

RB

First of all, no need to be rude. I'm a grown up thank you. Tattoos are not original, just like painting on canvas is not original. It's WHAT you paint that dictates what is original and what is not. Just like WHAT you tattoo is what dictates what is original and what is not.

RBDesign wrote:
If you care about "the community" you are lost.

RB

I don't care about what the tattoo community thinks. I'm not lost. I was stating why the taz, superman, etc are frowned upon. They are unoriginal by standards of the tattoo community. There is nothing "lost" about my statement.

Nov 17 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Jessalyn wrote:

RBDesign wrote:

RB

First of all, no need to be rude. I'm a grown up thank you. Tattoos are not original, just like painting on canvas is not original. It's WHAT you paint that dictates what is original and what is not. Just like WHAT you tattoo is what dictates what is original and what is not.

I don't care about what the tattoo community thinks. I'm not lost. I was stating why the taz, superman, etc are frowned upon. They are unoriginal by standards of the tattoo community. There is nothing "lost" about my statement.

Sorry, I did not mean to get you upset or anything.

RB

Nov 17 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

RBDesign wrote:
Sorry, I did not mean to get you upset or anything.

RB

nope. not upset. just a discussion smile

Nov 17 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fotogene

Chicago Heights, Illinois, US

I'm old school. When I was a late teen I always feared that I would wake up with a hang over and a tat. I don't understand ink since it's permanent and there is very little art that stays my favorite over the decades.  I especially don't like ink that is a few years old for many obvious reasons. I'd rather have to photoshop stuff that was not intentional!

Nov 17 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I would never...

Oh, wait, I have. Never mind.

Nov 17 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Jessalyn wrote:

nope. not upset. just a discussion smile

just for discussion then, why do you take on so many issues? What is an ok tattoo? what is ok to hate? What is your point of view? Do you depend on other people to set that for you? Just wondering?

RB

Nov 18 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I don't mind! smile

Nov 18 06 02:19 am Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RBDesign wrote:

just for discussion then, why do you take on so many issues? What is an ok tattoo? what is ok to hate? What is your point of view? Do you depend on other people to set that for you? Just wondering?

RB

Simply because she can smile

Nov 18 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

smo1869 wrote:

Simply because she can smile

Well, I was kind of feeling a little harsh tonight.

Sorry

RB

Nov 18 06 02:32 am Link

Model

nikki fiction

Sacramento, California, US

geeez u guys! stop bashing us! i cant hold back anymore - i dont like dull, middle aged folks who can't think outside their box but i am not complaining until now...

Nov 18 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

nikki fiction wrote:
geeez u guys! stop bashing us! i cant hold back anymore - i dont like dull, middle aged folks who can't think outside their box but i am not complaining until now...

Who the f*** are you calling dull?

RB

Nov 18 06 02:58 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:

Kimberlyannqt wrote:

Envy, you KNOW you are one of my favorite tattooed models pinup or otherwise!?!  Now when are you going to come to Atlanta...we gotta shoot together before you and I both retire!?! ;-)

Nov 18 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn wrote:

When I was getting my tattoo we got into a great discussion about the worst tattoo's the artists had been asked to do...the overwhelming winner amongst the artists polled were Tazmanian Devil and praying hands:-)

Nov 18 06 08:43 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Viva Van Story wrote:
OH HELL YES!!!!!!!  SEND THEM ALL MY WAY THEN...  I'll even publish them...

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/presleycoates/IMG_7578web-1.jpg

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/presleycoates/IMG_0045web.jpg

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/presleycoates/sale7.jpg

Lots more on my site..  www.vivaspinups.com

She covered all the girls I was going to reference...lol.  I got nothing more to add, thanks Viva;-)

Nov 18 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I don`t think the`re becoming more acceptable....it`s just everybody has them now, it`s a challenge now to find "untattooed" models for true realistic looking Retrospective projects, pinup or artistic nude models didn`t have tattoos in 1962

......like everything else it will come and go.....I leave the best tattoos in a photo when I think the`re just right for the look, some of the models I`ve worked with  have beautiful tattoos

Nov 18 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

nikki fiction wrote:

They just dont like the colored folk.

*heavy sarcasm here, dont go freaking out on me and getting your panties in a bunch people

Nov 18 06 12:07 pm Link