Forums > General Industry > it finally happened to me: the boyfriend strikes!

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i took a few hundred pictures of a friend of mine over the weekend, and there were some great ones in there that we both liked.
i had one up here (maybe you were lucky enough to see it), where she was curled up on her side on a bed in her underwear. it was beautifully (if i may say so) and tastefully done, and not at all incriminating or sleazy or scandalous.
but
i got the email today that her boyfriend "doesn't like the idea" of her being naked on the internet. he knew she was coming to hang out and take pictures, but he apparently thought they would be "more clothed".
so in order to not upset him, i have taken them down.

this was not a professionally set up shoot. no money changed hands and no contracts were signed. it was just two people who have been friends for years goofing around taking pictures.
but still...

anyway, i don't expect answers, or sympathy. i'm just venting, because, in the words of Morrissey, "i've seen this happen in other people's lives, and now, it's happening in mine"

Nov 16 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Boyfriends suck ass! From now on I'm only shooting lesbians and maybe drag queens.

I just had a slight bf issue today. Shoot cancelled for pregnant chick cause bf wasn't invited. Jeez!

Nov 16 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

I have been asked to take down several shoots from various models for various personal reasons.  Out of respect (because they were nude images) I always comply.  It is always a shame that the images will no longer be shared with the rest of the world that really appreciates them.

Nov 16 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
i took a few hundred pictures of a friend of mine over the weekend, and there were some great ones in there that we both liked.
i had one up here (maybe you were lucky enough to see it), where she was curled up on her side on a bed in her underwear. it was beautifully (if i may say so) and tastefully done, and not at all incriminating or sleazy or scandalous.
but
i got the email today that her boyfriend "doesn't like the idea" of her being naked on the internet. he knew she was coming to hang out and take pictures, but he apparently thought they would be "more clothed".

this was not a professionally set up shoot. no money changed hands and no contracts were signed. it was just two people who have been friends for years goofing around taking pictures.
but still...

anyway, i don't expect answers, or sympathy. i'm just venting, because, in the words of Morrissey, "i've seen this happen in other people's lives, and now, it's happening in mine"

Welcome to the club.....

I say that in part sarcasm and part sympathy. I had a similar situation this past summer with a model (who WAS a friend) whose new boyfriend saw the work she had done with me and started making threats. In my case however releases were signed. He also accused me and anyone else who photographed her of "objectifying her beauty"  and pretty much made her get out of modeling.

The ironic thing is that in an effort to get her away from being one kind of "object", he made her into another....his own.

Nov 16 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

Who's Morrissey?

I'm totally kidding. If you knew me, you'd know....

Nov 16 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Christopher N. wrote:
The ironic thing is that in an effort to get her away from being one kind of "object", he made her into another....his own.

More evidence for my theory that hypocrisy is a MUCH more popular hobby than photography.

Nov 16 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Just did a shoot a few weeks ago, have some fantastic topless images of the model, showed her the edited version, she loves it!!!  However, boyfriend objects! Even though I have a signed release, I have agreed not to post it on any of my portfolios on line.

Nov 16 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

welcome to the ass wipe strikes club indeed.

Nov 16 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Always, and I mean ALWAYS....get a release signed no matter how casual
the shoot is.....keep'em in your camera bag.....and do it before the shoot
starts.....

Nov 16 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Hi, you're interested in a shoot? Great. Do you have a boyfriend? you do? Sorry I only shoot lesbians and drag queens. bye.

Nov 16 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
but

but still...

It happens.  You did the right thing, the "friend thing" by taking them down.  Had it been a pro shoot, or an arranged TFCD, then it would have been different.

And when she ditches the BF, and she will, she'll want to put them back up.

Nov 16 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Bummer,

Well I alwayshow said images to all those who comes in the studio. I can see taking them off line out of respect, (if I really have a good relationship with said model), but the work is too be shared. If not on-line, then by those who grace our collective "art-spaces"..

Nov 16 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Food 4 Less

was it the boyfriend that requested the pix to be taken down or the girl?

if it was the boyfriend, i dont see how he has the right to ask anything of the sort. there is no reason to pay attention to this unless it is the model herself asking.

i say keep the pictures up unless the girl makes the requests. guys are lame.

Nov 16 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Luminos wrote:
It happens.  You did the right thing, the "friend thing" by taking them down.  Had it been a pro shoot, or an arranged TFCD, then it would have been different.

exactly. if she wasn't a friend of mine like that, i might have more of an issue.
instead i'm just bummed. she really liked them, but now she's afraid to show him the rest of them.
also, i've never met this guy so i'm reserving judgement of him.
well, i'm trying REALLY HARD to reserve judgement of him. haha.

Nov 16 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
got the email today that her boyfriend "doesn't like the idea" of her being naked on the internet. he knew she was coming to hang out and take pictures, but he apparently thought they would be "more clothed". so in order to not upset him, i have taken them down

nice gesture on your part to have obliged the model's request to remove the image(s); we do learn a lot about models & their significant others once their images are shown ...

jon mmmayhem wrote:
this was not a professionally set up shoot. no money changed hands and no contracts were signed. it was just two people who have been friends for years goofing around taking pictures. but still...

... but still, yes, but still, you did get a properly signed *AND* executed (ahem, nuance) Release, correct?

F

Nov 16 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Renata Brazilia wrote:

if it was the boyfriend, i dont see how he has the right to ask anything of the sort. there is no reason to pay attention to this unless it is the model herself asking.

i say keep the pictures up unless the girl makes the requests.

yeah, i should have been more clear in the original post.
she sent me the email, telling me about his reaction to the pictures, and her solution.
so, yeah, she knows. she asked me nicely.

Nov 16 06 04:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I don't believe boyfriends need to be on shoots...unless they're in the picture.

move on ....

jon mmmayhem wrote:
but

but still...

Nov 16 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:

exactly. if she wasn't a friend of mine like that, i might have more of an issue.
instead i'm just bummed. she really liked them, but now she's afraid to show him the rest of them.
also, i've never met this guy so i'm reserving judgement of him.
well, i'm trying REALLY HARD to reserve judgement of him. haha.

It's always best to take the high road and give the guy the benefit of the doubt.  Or, at least, give him a lot of doubt.

Nov 16 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shiree

Sacramento, California, US

Jon,

Ill help ya out, id be glad to pose in my speedos for ya.....

Wait, nevermind just tried them on and umm... well does a mack truck with a LeBra sound sexy? lol.

Where there are models there are B/F's and thats just life, ill tell any model today the same thing, if u have a b/f and the industry knows about it, you better either already be a signed pro working model, or ur in deep doodoo.

I like the "shooting lezbians" comment tho,lol

..now Jon, about our shoot... i dont mind doing topless but showing more than that is just too degrading... wait unless its gonna get me a tearsheet then ill be happy to do the shoot with the donkey and the midget. smile

Nov 16 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

LESBIANS are sometime`s WORSE then BOYFRIENDS........ I`ve met EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE AND POSSESSIVE nutcase girl lovers who if they had their way they`d lock their significant other in a closet and only let her out to eat twice a day.....

Anyone with UNSTABLE partners doesn`t need to be in this industry, I don`t allow ANYONE on my set unless I know them (personally) while I have thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment, props and vintage cars and their owners in my mist....if anyone wastes my time their kicked out the door in less then 5 mins
*I`ve only had to ask two models recently to leave, one because she was 30lbs+ overweight then in her photos and was impossibe to shoot while none of the planned work could be done....and another because she was under the influence...* (these were TEST shoots and they forfeited  their paid retainer)

I`ve only had (ONE) bad time with a nutcase Boyfriend, getting all upset while his model girlfriend was taking her clothes off for a artistic shoot.......
I packed my bags and started to walk out, the model had drove all the way up from Miami to shoot, she asked me what I was doing???  and I told her I was going home....she said "like hell you are" and she turned to her boyfriend and yelled at him, told him to "get the fu*k in the car and sit and wait for her!"
(we shoot for 4 hours) ~ we got some great work and she dumped the BF shortly after that incident......

And needless to say I ALWAYS get a model release signed BEFORE any shoot as well, no paperwork is bullshit

It`s always the SAFEST thing to do, get everything signed then there`s NO PROBLEMS....

Nov 16 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
I`ve met EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE AND POSSESSIVE nutcase girl lovers who if they had their way they`d lock their significant other in a closet and only let her out to eat twice a day.....

I have to admit, when you said "eat" the first thing that came to my mind was not food... Sorry. I'm a dirty, dirty girl.

Nov 16 06 04:54 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Y'know, that really sucks.  Both on her part and on the boyfriend's part.  My boyfriend tried to tell me that he was supportive of my modelling and that he was behind me 100% no matter what I decided to do.  Then he saw an implied nude and flipped sh*t.  Now, I don't show him ANY of my photos because he has nothing but negative comments and a bad attitude about my shoots. 

However, I am of the mindset that I decide what I'll do with my time and my body and that I'll pose for and post images of MY choice.  His opinion no longer counts.  So we made the deal that modelling is my thing, and if he's not interested, that's fine. 

Sounds like your friend needs to stand up for herself a little.  If she's happy with the photos, and is okay with them being posted, she should tell her bf to piss off.

Nov 16 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

I think models have to understand that if their boyfriend demanded that they behave in certain way beore they are married. What would he do after they're married? It is more than an issue of standing up for herself. It is about propoerty right. Women should be entitled to what they want to do with their body, especially if they're hot. wink

Nov 16 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Renee Jensen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thank GOD my man is totally supportive (maybe even a little TOO excited wink ) about the shots I've taken.. It sucks to see silly boys let their own jealousy and insecurities get in between their "loved" ones and THEIR dreams..  : /

Nov 16 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Renata Brazilia wrote:

i say keep the pictures up unless the girl makes the requests. guys are lame.

I totally agree. When did girlfriends become the property of boyfriends?

Ask her what she wants; he's a nonentity in this matter.

Cheers, Tim

Nov 16 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Here's a twist from some time ago.  A year or two after pictures and prints, about a dozen then, the girl returned and begged for a new set.  In interim boyfriend, intent on setting her on "the right course" had destroyed her prints (they weren't that racy), and done with him, she wanted to have them again.

Prigs deserve celibacy and furtive masturbation.

Nov 16 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

ReallyRandy wrote:
Boyfriends suck ass! From now on I'm only shooting lesbians and maybe drag queens.

Apparently you have never had a run in with the psycho bulldike lesbian girlfriend.
Give me the boyfriend any day...;o)

Nov 16 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

If you're not proud of the image, why shoot it?  If you are proud of the image, why hide it?

Nov 16 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

ReallyRandy wrote:
Hi, you're interested in a shoot? Great. Do you have a boyfriend? you do? Sorry I only shoot lesbians and drag queens. bye.

And you think the girlfriend won't make the same request?

Nov 16 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

ReallyRandy wrote:

I just had a slight bf issue today. Shoot cancelled for pregnant chick cause bf wasn't invited. Jeez!

haha JUST wait until you get the drama associated with drag queens and lesbians! and you thought only boyfriends could bring the fight?! woo - wait till you get a boy in heels kicking you!

Nov 16 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Renee Jensen wrote:
Thank GOD my man is totally supportive (maybe even a little TOO excited wink ) about the shots I've taken.. It sucks to see silly boys let their own jealousy and insecurities get in between their "loved" ones and THEIR dreams..  : /

ME TOO!! My boyfriend loves coming to shoots because he gets to learn more about photography. He really has little interest in shooting people though, he really enjoys shooting horses and animals more. But he still enjoys watching and seeing techniques in action. He has as much fun as I do, whether I'm naked or not! Besides, I have to say that there is no shortage of admiration for the results.

Thank goodness for open minded people!!

I also have to agree that its a stable partner, not the sex, that determines the possessiveness over another. Someone that is not quite all there and has trust issues is the kind of person that will have issues with seeing their partner naked or semi naked. It ain't limited to sex for sure.

Nov 16 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Renee Jensen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NC17 wrote:

ME TOO!! My boyfriend loves coming to shoots because he gets to learn more about photography. He really has little interest in shooting people though, he really enjoys shooting horses and animals more. But he still enjoys watching and seeing techniques in action. He has as much fun as I do, whether I'm naked or not! Besides, I have to say that there is no shortage of admiration for the results.

Thank goodness for open minded people!!

I also have to agree that its a stable partner, not the sex, that determines the possessiveness over another. Someone that is not quite all there and has trust issues is the kind of person that will have issues with seeing their partner naked or semi naked. It ain't limited to sex for sure.

WORD, sista!! lol...

Nov 16 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

You own the copyright regardless of contracts and you didn't have to remove them...but being nice helps and will only get you better work in the end...next time, shoot it again with someone who isn't so shy.  Her boyfriend was only protecting her.

Nov 16 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

vinny photography

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

it's always sad when a boyfriend call us to ask to take down pics, because something show or it not what HE likes to have to show

fu.. it's her who call me and ask for those pics, NOT me

Nov 16 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Renee Jensen wrote:

WORD, sista!! lol...

NC17 and Renee, I just want to let you gals know that I am single and if thing ever go sour with your relationship, drop me a line. wink

Nov 16 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I'll bet this same BF would have her flash her cleavage in order to get out of a traffic ticket. 

Jerk!

Nov 16 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

You can still always share....just e-mail them to me! https://www.tupapi.net/Pics/evil-smiley-face.jpg

Nov 16 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

JuliaGulia

Syracuse, Indiana, US

God Im so happy that Im lucky enough to have found a man with no jealously or insecurity issues, has no problems with me modeling or being naked has came to shoots and has been a big help not only to me but with the people I shoot with.  Guess Ill have to rethink next time I have to yell at him!  Trained him well I guess....lol

Nov 16 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

I once did a photo shoot with a model in which everthing seemed to be going well, then all of a sudden she did a complete 180 and said no more.  She was merely topless, with her back to the camera in an elegant dress.  Nethertheless, I complied and ended the photo shoot right there.  Then, she had her boyfriend come over to review the images and his remarks where, "Damn, you look good. -- Nothing wrong with them at all."  I ended up getting a phone call from her and she ordered some prints for her boyfriend.  "Crazy"  No boyfriends yet banging on my door, so I am in totally good shape, and now, I ALWAYS, have an assistant at every photo shoot.

Nov 16 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Odrareg Avyel

Tucson, Arizona, US

It happen to me
saved money i Paid my model to came to Arizona
then my girlfriend freak out .
she said she would be ok i invited the girlfriend for the first shoot sha was fine then later she got crazy. and told me that the model had to go .
and i told ther no mamacita!!!! NO
that this was what i wanted to do
and if she had a problem to talk with her mother .
Needless to say
i no longer have that girlfriend SAD because i used to love her .BUT i love
Figure work (nudes and photography a lot more)
this world is filled with insecure people
GOD bless their soul and teach them right from wrong .

Nov 16 06 09:00 pm Link