Forums > General Industry > How many of you look?

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

How many of you look at a poster's profile before you reply to them?  I'm just curious.

Nov 04 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I do.

EDIT: Do you want something said about yours?

Nov 04 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
How many of you look at a poster's profile before you reply to them?  I'm just curious.

Never

Well, maybe if she's hot...

Nov 04 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Rarely.

Nov 04 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Always.

Nov 04 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

It would be idiotic not to.

Nov 04 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

50\50....

Depends if it could be important...sometimes I look after I reply, and change it if need be.

Like 4'11" models asking if they're the right weight...doesn't matter for them.
If they're 5'11" They get a more reasonable, thought out answer

Nov 04 06 10:41 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
I do.

EDIT: Do you want something said about yours?

No, I'm not whoring (at the moment).  The thought just occured to me in another thread, cuz I hardly ever do but I've noticed that a lot of people reference the poster's profile in their reply and I'm thinking maybe it's a trend or something I missed out on.

Nov 04 06 10:42 pm Link

Model

Tori Tor

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I do...if you were asking models...You can tell if you wanna talk to them about shoots by looking at what they've done already...I don't like nudes soo anyone with all nudes in their port is going to probably want me to do them as well. I still reply but I already know what they want.

Nov 04 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nick's Clicks

Lansing, Michigan, US

Sometimes.  ...maybe even half the time.

Nov 04 06 10:44 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Tori Tor wrote:
I do...if you were asking models...You can tell if you wanna talk to them about shoots by looking at what they've done already...I don't like nudes soo anyone with all nudes in their port is going to probably want me to do them as well. I still reply but I already know what they want.

I meant in the forums.  And just because a photographer has nudes in his/her port doesn't mean they're going to want you to do them.  It means they are open to doing them.

Nov 04 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

No, I'm not whoring (at the moment).  The thought just occured to me in another thread, cuz I hardly ever do but I've noticed that a lot of people reference the poster's profile in their reply and I'm thinking maybe it's a trend or something I missed out on.

I think it's more of a "getting to know who you're talking to" type of thing.

Nov 04 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Noirblanco

Vacaville, California, US

I do.

Nov 04 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

I think it's more of a "getting to know who you're talking to" type of thing.

Gotcha.

Nov 04 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Noirblanco

It's not just about a face. You try to find chemistry, I hate a cold shoot!

Nov 04 06 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautyByIsis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I mostly do... mostly.

Nov 04 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Lawrence DeHart Photo wrote:
It's not just about a face. You try to find chemistry, I hate a cold shoot!

I think it was meant posting in the forums... and it depends what the thread is...

Nov 04 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Noirblanco

sorry! erase, erase, erase.

Im tired its bedtime, very long shoot today!

Nov 04 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

I look at the poster's profile if I am going to send a private message.  If I am posting in a public forum, I don't, except for the OP.

Nov 04 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

I do most of the time, especially when it is someone whining that they want quit modeling, their port will usually inform my response. heheheh

Nov 04 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To answer the question you didn't ask . . .

Often I will go beyond just looking at the MM profile.  I'll look at their portfolios, their personal sites.  If it's a model asking about how to get work, I'll go to mapquest and find out more about where she lives.  I'll make a judgment of what she is capable of, whether or not her port properly represents her, and what she might be capable of before I ever answer, even though I may not say what my conclusions are.

If it's someone talking about the industry, I assess whether or not they look like they actually have experience in the industry, and if so, what kind.  All of that is necessary to judge the provenance of what is said.

Nov 04 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jakki Browne wrote:
I do most of the time, especially when it is someone whining that they want quit modeling, their port will usually inform my response. heheheh

wink  That's precisely the thread I was referring to.  My policy is to not look when someone is whoring because I don't want to fall for it, but if enough people say something funny about their port, I break down and go look anyway.

Nov 04 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
To answer the question you didn't ask . . .

Often I will go beyond just looking at the MM profile.  I'll look at their portfolios, their personal sites.  If it's a model asking about how to get work, I'll go to mapquest and find out more about where she lives.  I'll make a judgment of what she is capable of, whether or not her port properly represents her, and what she might be capable of before I ever answer, even though I may not say what my conclusions are.

If it's someone talking about the industry, I assess whether or not they look like they actually have experience in the industry, and if so, what kind.  All of that is necessary to judge the provenance of what is said.

smile  You know I love you TX.  I just wanted to say it because some people have been trying to beat up on you today.

Nov 04 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bless you, kind lady.

(BTW, I do own a cape . . . if you are in the mood for a shoot.)

Nov 04 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tori Tor wrote:
.I don't like nudes soo anyone with all nudes in their port is going to probably want me to do them as well.

not true.  it's very arrogant of you to think so.

Nov 04 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ransom J wrote:

not true.  it's very arogant of you to think so.

I agree with you most of the time, Ransom J...

But I agree with Tori Tor.

If I'm a model, and I see mostly nudes in a photographer's port, isn't it more likely than not that he will at least ask me to get nude?

Nov 04 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Bless you, kind lady.

(BTW, I do own a cape . . . if you are in the mood for a shoot.)

Can I tag along?

Nov 04 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Image K wrote:

Can I tag along?

I'll pick you up on the way to Texas.

Nov 04 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Melissa, I'll go look at a portfolio if the quality of the photography of a photographer/poster is relevant to the thread.  It usually isn't, however.  Only when the guy is holding his own work as an example of something specific. 

In the case of models/posters, I may go look if the port has been talked about, but don't judge models by their photographs, only their appearance.  So in the case of models I'm looking for different things.

In many cases I remember the work and don't need to go look again - good or bad.  In other cases, the avatar is just so horrible I don't even want to look.

-Don

Nov 04 06 11:18 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

I always do

Nov 04 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Image K wrote:

I agree with you most of the time, Ransom J...

But I agree with Tori Tor.

If I'm a model, and I see mostly nudes in a photographer's port, isn't it more likely than not that he will at least ask me to get nude?

no I wouldn't say so.  i've NEVER asked a girl to get nude the first time we shot.  and many photogs I know are much the same way.

Nov 04 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Erwyn L

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I usually look. if the person's work isn't up to par I don't bother to get involved. Unless they are asking if they should quit... I had to encourage the individual to do so.

Nov 04 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

depends on what I'm replying to.  I look at yours everyday though....

wink

Nov 04 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

wink

Thwack...thwack...thwack...

Did someone say something?

Nov 04 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

wink

Oh Curt, now I'm blushing.  And for the record, I'm not whoring with this thread, I had a real, genuine question.  But thanks anyway.  Did you read the women and masturbation thread in the pit or have you been too busy trying to prove that God is evil?  smile

Nov 04 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Tori Tor wrote:

Assume that's true.  So what?  You can' say no?  No self-control?  Afraid the photographer will jack your mind and prevent you from establishing your limits?

https://photoworks.ws/images/funny/hypnosis_anim.gif

You feel drowsy...
You will feel your will power seeping from your body.....
You will not be able to resist the secret urges of the evil photographer....

I frankly don't understand the point of your question assuming you're in control of what you decide to do.  I have nudes in my port, some of them erotic. I have lots more on my main site. Today I had the mother of a 17yr old girl ask me to do a shoot with her daughter. Said something about really liking the quality of my work and she thought I seemed professional. Nude stuff didn't even come up.

Are you afraid you aren't able to say no if you're asked?  Because if this isn't your concern, I do not get the point of your post.

Nov 04 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Curt Burgess wrote:

wink

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Oh Curt, now I'm blushing.  And for the record, I'm not whoring with this thread, I had a real, genuine question.  But thanks anyway.  Did you read the women and masturbation thread in the pit or have you been too busy trying to prove that God is evil?  smile

I know you had a genuine question. You're a very genuine person!  I know that from your responses to others, all our interactions and also that you're a real sweetie too.

Haven't read the masturbation thread (although I'm pleased your discussing it with me.. wink ). Despite the number of posts I've made, I don't actually read that many threads. I tend to "specialize" if you will.  I would have said more in my reply to your very interesting question except that I wouldn't want to give away secret strategies I have. wink

It a very interesting question though.

See ya!  Curt

PS - Prove god is evil???  Just look at the news, proofs in the pudding! But you know me... confirmed Maltheist!

Nov 04 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i dont look
unless they ask for something personal like about their port etc

but i write most on threads where i know the person
or got to 'know' a vocal contributor

i reply not based on who i imagine they are or what i think they might want to hear but honestly
or devils advocate
responding ad hoc to the original OP question
or a specific comment on the thread

it's a forum so its very general
not personal
the ideas expressed spark a contribution
most of my remarks are very glib
and British!
i WILL look up a person if they are being hard to understand ...to see where they might be coming from though
and if it's any thing personal , write personally

discussion should be something everyone can particpate in ...
or throw rocks at
lol
not personal vendettas

Nov 05 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Gimmie a break Melissa. You've been on these forums quite awhile. Half the people don't even seem to read the damn THREAD before they reply, let alone take the time to read a freakin' profile!

Nov 05 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

if anything that might be there could be relevant, or if the avatar grabs my attention, or if the post grabs my attention (rather than ire, dismay, or head shake).

Nov 05 06 02:47 am Link