Forums > General Industry > Another NO SHOW -- Is it wrong to blast the model?

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Here I am with a scheduled photo shoot for 6:15pm and it is 6:45pm with no phone call or anything....Why can't models just live up to appointments....It is really the small majority of the models out there that set a bad example for the rest.  But question....Is it wrong to blast the models?  Maybe we should have a separate forums listing all the flaking models and photographers that way we know who is definetly NOT reliable.  What do you think? 

This is just a rant because i'll be off doing something else pretty soon.

Nov 01 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Arr. Happens a lot here, and it makes you so damn mad.

But I guess the best thing to do is forget it, and put the model/photographer on the bullshit list. And obviously, don't book with them again.

That's my current policy.

Nov 01 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Good policy, just wish there was some way to be able to help others....maybe that way the photographer/model will think twice about not showing up.  after all, it takes about 20 seconds to call and say they are not showing up.

Nov 01 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cue the violins.  Another horse just died.

Nov 01 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Don't pull out that picture. Or that picture, either.

Nov 01 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Just move on. Nothing that you can do.

Nov 01 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Cue the violins.  Another horse just died.

What time do we schedule our daily equinne memorial?  I get confused and am never on time to express my condolenced to those poor darned horses who have been beaten to death.

Nov 01 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

cisstudio wrote:
But question....Is it wrong to blast the models?  Maybe we should have a separate forums listing all the flaking models and photographers that way we know who is definetly NOT reliable.  What do you think?

It's wrong. don't do it. move on.

Nov 01 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

Why is it wrong?  When I buy a product, especially electronic, I want to know its reliability, quality and cost and there are ratings for those from Consumer Report, the internet, etc.  Shouldn't model and photographers who are more reliable be noticed more and be rewarded?  Even ebay has ratings on buyers and sellers.

Nov 01 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Chan Studio wrote:
Why is it wrong?  When I buy a product, especially electronic, I want to know its reliability, quality and cost and there are ratings for those from Consumer Report, the internet, etc.  Shouldn't model and photographers who are more reliable be noticed more and be rewarded?  Even ebay has ratings on buyers and sellers.

Good point!  I am all for a rating system....after all, agencies do it as well.  Show up late or don't show up at all and you are done.  It's just like a job.  If you are continuously late for work, eventually you can be fired and it if is documented, the company has every right to disclose that information to future employers as well.

Nov 01 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Daniela V wrote:

Also, this person could have actually just placed up a profile out of bordome and to waste everyones time.  I am sure that Model Mayhem would be more beneficial if it didn't have these individuals on here.

Nov 01 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Chan Studio wrote:

This isn't ebay.

If you're going to out someone, make sure he or she knows. There are two sides to every story. Why should we believe the OP at all? It's just a person behind a computer.

Nov 01 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

cisstudio wrote:

Also, this person could have actually just placed up a profile out of bordome and to waste everyones time.  I am sure that Model Mayhem would be more beneficial if it didn't have these individuals on here.

If you out her, please post her MM number so I can be sure to tell her your slamming her without her knowledge.

Don't be an ass. Stop whining and complaining. Check your references and find better models. There are tons on here that don't flake.

Nov 01 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

That's the problem. Some people here get so annoyed at each other, not because of working together, but just from their posts.... grudges could lead to false infos. And of course anyone blacklisted will retaliate, 1 for 1.

So if a photographer calls a model a flake, and puts a negative mark on her, she'll obviously do the same, in retaliation/damage control. This forces us to choose who's telling the truth, or maybe both are, from their viewpoints. Regardless, both would end up with blemishes on their profiles.

I think the only thing that would work, (maybe) is a place to put Positive values on them.... (like we do in comments.) This model showed up, on time, worked well, etc. You'd still have a problem with their friends pumping them up, but who knows, it might help.

Nov 01 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

J Schumacher wrote:
That's the problem. Some people here get so annoyed at each other, not because of working together, but just from their posts.... grudges could lead to false infos. And of course anyone blacklisted will retaliate, 1 for 1.

So if a photographer calls a model a flake, and puts a negative mark on her, she'll obviously do the same, in retaliation/damage control. This forces us to choose who's telling the truth, or maybe both are, from their viewpoints. Regardless, both would end up with blemishes on their profiles.

I think the only thing that would work, (maybe) is a place to put Positive values on them.... (like we do in comments.) This model showed up, on time, worked well, etc. You'd still have a problem with their friends pumping them up, but who knows, it might help.

These are good suggestions but there is no foolproof method.

Which is why those of us that say STOP BEATING THIS TO DEATH, say STOP BEATING THIS TO DEATH.

jesus- aren't there more important things? So someone flaked on you...great, someone else just got diagnosed with cancer. Stop bitching.

Nov 01 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Is it wrong?

Well, seems like someone new is doing it about every 30 minutes, so it must be right..

Nov 01 06 09:27 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Chan Studio wrote:

It would turn in to a witch hunt.......wouldn't you say?

Nov 01 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i shot with someone a couple of weeks ago, i sent her some pictures, she didn't reply, i got self conscious, decided she didn't like the pictures, and forgot about using them..

i dont use a picture unless the model likes it.. i'm funny that way

anyways, two days ago she emails me..

"the pictures were great thanks, sorry i didnt get back to you, i was in a car accident.."

glad i didn't get mad..

Nov 01 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Frizzy Izzy wrote:
[
It would turn in to a witch hunt.......wouldn't you say?

Yuuuuup.

Nov 01 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

Daniela V wrote:
If you out her, please post her MM number so I can be sure to tell her your slamming her without her knowledge.

Don't be an ass. Stop whining and complaining. Check your references and find better models. There are tons on here that don't flake.

First of all, I am not slamming her.  As for notifying her, I have already left her a "tag" that indicated that she has missed her scheduled appointment.  As for what you precieve as slander, is actually not slander at all.  According to the law, the "Truth", is not slander.  If the statement made about another is true, then there can be no claim for libel or slander.  Furthermore, many courts have also upheld that "resonable belief" that the statement is true can also be successful as a defenese.

I have also indicated that this post is just a rant....I have had several no shows recently and it just got to me this time.  Besides, there are plenty of models out there but have it known that if you schedule a photo shoot with me and do not show up, I will post a "tag", so that all can see, stating, very rationally, that you have missed your appointment.  I suggest other models and photographers do the same thing as well.  This would be beneficial to others who are considering scheduleing a photo shoot with him/her and it would be one "reference" point for the photographer/model who is looking to schedule something.

Nov 01 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
Which is why those of us that say STOP BEATING THIS TO DEATH, say STOP BEATING THIS TO DEATH.

Well, I think it keeps coming up because of the new people on the board, who haven't gone through this with us already. Give the fresh ones a break. They'll become jaded soon enough.

Nov 01 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J Schumacher wrote:
Well, I think it keeps coming up because of the new people on the board, who haven't gone through this with us already. Give the fresh ones a break. They'll become jaded soon enough.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=86586

Nov 01 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Fuzzytek - Stephen

Detroit, Michigan, US

Today's scheduled shoots... 4 of 4 no-show.
One had stomach flu
Two have transportation issues
One simply didn't acknowledge

The last is the only one that I really have an issue with, sadly that was the last of the 4 appointments which took me from noon to 7pm. Therefore - one day spent at studio without computer/internet - this day was trashed, a black hole.

At the end of the day I got a call from a model and I wasn't exactly my cheerful self. I found myself apologizing over and over about requiring a deposit for the shoot. I do think she got the impact though.

For today - those four shoots were without a deposit... next shoot with any of them... will require deposit. I understand overcoming difficulties - I have no car and took my bike on a bus with a backpack full of gear to be at the studio today. Sorry but there is a space in which there is no grief. Want to talk about overcoming obstacles? And yes I would have been at a shoot even if I had stomach flu - of course I would have had to keep excusing myself... that is if the photographer still insisted on shooting.

New models versus existing ones that know it is business. Although it can be hard to talk business on an internet forum, considering the level of business dealings.

Nov 01 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Put the model on blast so other photographers dont schedule with her. That would make them think twice before they no show.

Nov 01 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I feel that pain. Been there just like many others here. Move on without the blast. There are other models.

Nov 01 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

cisstudio wrote:

First of all, I am not slamming her.  As for notifying her, I have already left her a "tag" that indicated that she has missed her scheduled appointment.  As for what you precieve as slander, is actually not slander at all.  According to the law, the "Truth", is not slander.  If the statement made about another is true, then there can be no claim for libel or slander.  Furthermore, many courts have also upheld that "resonable belief" that the statement is true can also be successful as a defenese.

I have also indicated that this post is just a rant....I have had several no shows recently and it just got to me this time.  Besides, there are plenty of models out there but have it known that if you schedule a photo shoot with me and do not show up, I will post a "tag", so that all can see, stating, very rationally, that you have missed your appointment.  I suggest other models and photographers do the same thing as well.  This would be beneficial to others who are considering scheduleing a photo shoot with him/her and it would be one "reference" point for the photographer/model who is looking to schedule something.

You're new and man this horse has been beaten and hung.  Here's
a few suggestions.  Have a call from any model for a shoot a hour or more before,
no call, no shoot.  Model contacts you for a shoot get a deposit.  No deposit
no shoot.  If a model won't provide you with a contact number or says she
doesn't have one, bad sign.  When you talk to the model to set up a shoot and
I try and do no more then three emails before I say either we talk or forget it.
Listen carefully to what she says.

Does she sound bored?  Ask about her modeling goals.  How many people she's
shot with.  Does she have any ideals for shoot ideals.  Listen to her responses
and tone.  If she can't wait to get you off the phone, bad sign.  This if she's
called you.  I ask that models call to confirm a shoot the day before and the
day of.  I don't call them and emails aren't good enough.  Even with all these
things in place models flake. 

Outing them is a waste of time because other photographers will ignore your
warnings and only leads to problems mostly for you.

Nov 01 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

tark

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

that is SOOOOOOOO unprofesional...if i do that at my work i'd be fired on the spot!!!
i think its wrong if the model or photographer pull a no show!! very disrespectful
i would never EVER do such a thing!!! once i was 5 min late (got lost) and i felt so rude and so bad!!!
i think if a photographer askes you personaly who it was u should tell them

Nov 02 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just quit photographing models, saves a lot of heart ache.  I keep telling myself that but can't do it.

Nov 02 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Im with the OP- this site needs an ebay style feedback system.  Save turn the other cheek for your pastor.  Its not unprofessional to leave feedback- its just intelligent.

Nov 02 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jose Luis wrote:
Im with the OP- this site needs an ebay style feedback system.  Save turn the other cheek for your pastor.  Its not unprofessional to leave feedback- its just intelligent.

Great idea but what will stop someone from blasting the model in the feedback.  On ebay people still write scathing words when a transaction goes bad.

Nov 02 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Daniela V wrote:

jesus- aren't there more important things? So someone flaked on you...great, someone else just got diagnosed with cancer. Stop bitching.

There are many subjects that people say they are tired of hearing discussed, yet many that say they feel that way continue following the thread, repeatedly post, and help to perpetuate the discussion they supposedly wish would disappear. 

If further discussion is pointless, why not move on?

Nov 02 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm frustrated because of two no-shows last week, and my shot for Saturday has kind of committed, and I've sent two or three confirmation emails asking him or her to PLEASE confirm, but nothing but silence. I know they're being read, but still silence from the model. I have another model who wants the time so tomorrow if my earlier emails are still unanswered, I'm cancelling my shot with the non-communicative model and going with the one who actually seems to want to shoot.

Dead horse of a bit of a different color.

/tim

Nov 02 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Daniela V wrote:

These are good suggestions but there is no foolproof method.

Well, it continues to be a problem. Why don't models discuss this on the Model forums (perhaps they do) but the no-shows are giving the professional models a bad rap and this attitude of 'hey, move on' doesn't help either of you.  /tim

Nov 02 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Honestly, all these people with no shows. I have to wonder, does your conversation go something like this?

Photog- Hey, wanna shoot tfp with me?

Model - Sure, when are you available?

Photog - Saturday at 3pm. Address & Phone# - See ya then!

Model never responds... but photog holds out hope....

Or does the model actually say, Ok, I'll be there.

It seems that something isn't working right....

Nov 02 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Ah the joys of product photography!

Nov 02 06 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Iris Swope wrote:
Honestly, all these people with no shows. I have to wonder, does your conversation go something like this?

Photog- Hey, wanna shoot tfp with me?

Model - Sure, when are you available?

Photo - Saturday at 3pm. Address & Phone# - See ya then!

Model never responds... but photog holds out hope....

Or does the model actually say, Ok, I'll be there.

It seems that something isn't working right....

Here's a copy of the confirmation notice we send to all models twice before a shoot:
------------------------
MODEL: {name inserted here]

CONFIRMING

Confirming our shoot for Saturday, November 4, at 3:30pm.

Concept: Robot concept; Port work. AnF if time allows

Phone to call: 503-XXX-XXXX

Light Snacks, Water, and other beverages will be available/served.

If you must cancel, please do so prior to Wednesday at 5 pm.

Thank you very much. I look forward to our shoot. If there are questions prior to the shoot, please don't hesitate to contact me by phone or email.

If you require any special assistance due to a documented physical disability, please let us know 24 hours in advance of the shoot.

PLEASE CONFIRM:  Please confirm you received this email and you're good-for-go for Saturday, November 4, 2006, at 3:30 pm.

Cheers, Tim
----------------------------

This is basically what we send out to models as reminders for a shoot - after getting the shot all set - and still they will Confirm and then pull a no-show.

/tim

Nov 02 06 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

My opinion is that these models simply do not care.  (I think it might be due to an attention span deficit!!).
This will always happen because there are photographers lined up to photograph models.  The models know they can pretty much pick and choose who they shoot with.  If they want to shoot with someone, they do.  If not, no big deal on their part because they'll just pick one of the many others who flood them with tags and offers for shoots.
Ask the model beforehand for references and follow through on getting with others they've worked with.  If they are irresponsible and useless, look for another model...

Nov 02 06 06:33 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

cisstudio wrote:

Show me where I used the word "slander".

I work in law, don't preach it to me.

Nov 02 06 06:41 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Tim Baker wrote:
\Well, it continues to be a problem. Why don't models discuss this on the Model forums (perhaps they do) but the no-shows are giving the professional models a bad rap and this attitude of 'hey, move on' doesn't help either of you.  /tim

Because it doesn't help and the flakes don't care.

You think it doesn't piss me off that other girls make it hard for those of us that don't flake?!? Sure it does! It's annoying as hell. But there's NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT.

If I bitched and moaned as much as these "burned" photographers, I'm sure no one would want to work with my whiny-ass.

-D

Nov 02 06 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daniela V wrote:

You tell 'em, Miss D!

Nov 02 06 06:46 am Link