Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

oldguysrule wrote:
it seems most do disrespect to the muse by reducing her to a summer fling or some such... do not confuse the muse with a good fuck.

They're all good

Oct 31 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

... and some, just moonbeams and shadows.

Oct 31 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

Click Hamilton wrote:
Seems like those guys in search of a muse have their caution tape, toilet, wings and gas masks ready for the moment one might show up.

Nope, never used any of those with a muse. But I always had my cell-phone charged in case she called.

Oct 31 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

shotbytim wrote:
Yeah, I had a muse and now, although she's still a dear friend, she's quit modeling. Bummer

The very same thing has happened to me. sad

So.............

Wanted: Muse.  Apply within.

Oct 31 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

Ok, looks like we've desided that a muse is not found but just happens. When I realised I actually had one I did some reading on the subject and found that there are a number of different definitions. The more modern version is anybody or anything that inspires you at the moment, but I preffer the classic definition that being a person that inspires an artist to create works of art, being more of an on going relationship.

So you can be someones muse of the moment for those want to be a muse.

Oct 31 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

HP

Los Angeles, California, US

"Muse for Hire"

Oct 31 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

stereorandy

Carthage, Missouri, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
I envy other girls that are someone's muse sad

I wish I still lived in Kansas.  I'd have commuted from Pittsburg to shoot with you.

Love the new avatar, although I loved the old one, too.

Oct 31 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Holly Bruce wrote:
"Muse for Hire"

A muse can't be hired....if you're lucky you can exist on the same physical plane of existance for a brief time.....before the muse moves on and leaves you with a faint memory of her place in your creative heart.

Oct 31 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Muse me anytime you want

(interpret anyway you wish)

Oct 31 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

C A Storozkova

Emeryville, California, US

I thought my muse would have shown up by now

Nov 01 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

The Muses are the Greek goddesses who preside over the arts and sciences and inspire those who excel at these pursuits. Daughters of Zeus, king of the gods, and Mnemosyne ("memory"), they were born at Pieria at the foot of Mount Olympus. Their nurse, Eupheme, raised them along with her son, Crotus the hunter, who was transported into the sky as Sagittarius upon his death. Their name (akin to the Latin mens and English mind) denotes 'memory' or 'a reminder', since in the earliet times poets, having no books to read from, relied on their memories. The Romans identified the Muses with certain obscure Italian water-goddesses, the Camenae.

The original number of muses and their names varies in earlier times as their evolution blossomed in Greek mythology. At first, three muses were worshipped on Mount Helicon in Boeotia: Melete ("meditation"), Mneme ("memory"), and Aoede ("song"). Another three were worshipped at Delphi and their names represented the names of the strings of a lyre: Nete, Mese, and Hypate. Several other versions were worshipped until the Greeks finally established the nine muses in mythology as: Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania. The Muses had several epithets which usually referred to places where they had settled.

Ephialtes and Otus, who also founded Ascra, were the first to sacrifice on Helicon to the Muses and to call the mountain sacred to the Muses. Sacrifices to the Muses consisted of libations of water, milk, or honey.

Their companions are the Charities, the Horae, Eros, Dionysus, Apollo, Aphrodite, Harmonia, and Himerus (Desire). Apollo is the leader of the choir of the Muses and consequently he has the surname Musagetes. Athena caught and tamed the winged horse Pegasus and gave him to the Muses. Some of their disciples included the Sphinx who learned her riddle from the Muses, Aristaeus, who learned the arts of healing and prophecy from them, and Echo, who was taught by them to play music.

In Plato's Phaedrus 259c, Socrates says the locusts used to be men before the birth of the Muses. When song appeared when the Muses were born, some men were so overcome with delight that they sang constantly, forgetting to eat and drink until they eventually died. These dead men became locusts with a gift from the Muses allowing them to sing continuously from their birth until death without the need of sustenance. When they die, the locust go to the Muses and report which men on earth honors each, endearing a worshipper to the Muse he follows.

The Muses could be vindictive like in the story of the contest with Thamyris. Thamyris who excelled in minstrelsy challenged the Muses to a musical contest at Dorium in Messenia, the agreement being if he won he would take pleasure from all of them. The Muses won the contest, and bereft Thamyris of his eyes and minstrelsy.

In another story, the king of Emathia (Macedonia) and his wife Euippe had nine daughters and named them after the Muses. The daughters entered a contest with the Muses, were defeated and were metamorphosed by the Muses into birds called Colymbas, Iynx, Cenchris, Cissa, Chloris, Acalanthis, Nessa, Pipo, and Dracontis. These names were taken from actual names of birds such as the wryneck, hawk, jay, duck, goldfinch, and four others with no recognizable modern equivalents.

In yet another myth, it was said Hera, queen of the gods, persuaded the Sirens, who were described in early Greek mythology as having the bodies of birds and heads of beautiful women, to enter a singing contest with the Muses. The Muses won the competition and then plucked out all of the Sirens' feathers and made crowns out of them.

Many places were dedicated to the Muses such as the famous Valley of the Muses - Thespies on the eastern slopes of Mt. Helikon began it's "Mouseai" festivals in the 6th c. B.C. It was organized every 5 years by the Thespians. Poets and musicians from all over Greece also participated in various games (epic, poetry, rapsodia, kithara, aulos, satyric poetry, tragedy and comedy). It was common for ancient schools to have a shrine to the Muses called mouseion, the source of the modern word 'museum.' The famous Museum of Alexandria, founded by Ptolemy I, was a temple dedicated to the Muses. Before poets or storytellers recited their work, it was customary for them to invoke the inspiration and protection of the Muses.

Nov 01 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Holy wall of text batman

Nov 01 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

A wise old man once said:

" . . . serving the muse is a form of insanity. Photography is not the culprit, though."

Nov 01 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Holly Bruce wrote:
"Muse for Hire"

Ok, just catch a lift from Pegasus (you know, the gift from Athena), and meet me in Seattle!

Nov 01 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I have Heather, and everyone here apparently is falling in love with her.
I'm lucky, my whole family came out looking like pro models, minus the height.

Nov 01 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Iris Swope wrote:
I have Heather, and everyone here apparently is falling in love with her.

Believe that.

Nov 01 06 04:09 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Jessalyn wrote:

let's be eachothers muses. phsh. who needs a photographer. smile

I'm cool with that.... I mean, we're hot... covered in tattoos (at least I'm soon to be after I'm finally finished designing mine) and we just don't give a rats behind...hehe...LETS DO IT!!!

Nov 01 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Meagan Colf wrote:
Same here! I would love to be someone's muse!  But hey Jessalyn, maybe our turn will come soon!!  wink    Anyone???

Both of you are pretty close to Okc....

Nov 02 06 12:24 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

I wish I WAS a muse smile

Nov 02 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

David Blewett

Lakeland, Florida, US

Jessalyn wrote:

Ah, Jess... if only you lived close enough to be MY muse... wink Well, you will be for a couple of days... LOL!!

Nov 02 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Muse..........one who allows you to. one who accepts you to. one who encourages you to.
They are special. Mine is.

Nov 02 06 09:30 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
it seems most do disrespect to the muse by reducing her to a summer fling or some such... do not confuse the muse with a good fuck.

yes.

Nov 02 06 09:33 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Nov 02 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Juan Stevens

Fort Washington, Maryland, US

Lamonica wrote:

Me too Jess, me too sad

WHOOOAAA...hold up. You're telling me that you're no ones muse Lamonica? hmmmm. Or do you mean you haven't found a photog that you wanted to be a muse to?

Nov 02 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
A muse can't be hired....if you're lucky you can exist on the same physical plane of existance for a brief time.....before the muse moves on and leaves you with a faint memory of her place in your creative heart.

How apt....I seem to attract those fairylike creatures, who every so often appear , who enchant and astound me by the magic we create together.
Changelings all, mercurial spirits, whom I fall in love with so easily

Nov 02 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

OnePixArt

Rena wrote:

Nov 02 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

OnePixArt

I have often thought how Leonardo immortalized Mona Lisa.
So;

My sacred beloved muse
I shall stay up night after night
with you in heart.
creating the timeless image of you.

(and if I knew how to write I wouldn’t try camera!)  lol

Nov 02 06 09:29 pm Link