Forums > General Industry > Models 35+

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Rae01 wrote:

i modeled professionally in my teens and early twenties.  i started doing local jobs about a year ago when a fashion photographer encouraged me to get back into it.  i lied about my age when i originally set up my mm profile, then after i'd shot with a few photographers, i put my real age up, and i still get plenty of contacts and offers.  the MOST uncomfortable things about the lying were feeling like i might be outted when i got to an appointment (never happened, thank goodness) and showing up for a shoot and having the photographer change the music to "something that someone of MY (i.e. younger) generation would enjoy."  hhhaaaaaa!!!

I see it a little differently.  When I first joined MM, I put my apparent age. (an age that a couple agencies told me they would market me at).  Then after seeing a number of threads about people complaining that models were being less than truthful, I decided to put my actual age (well close anyway).  Since then, I get far fewer inquiries even though my look has not changed.  I think most people generally expect certain physical characteristics to be prevalent in all models of a specific age.  I am a proponent of doing away with the age search function (or at least labeling it with "apparent age range" like agencies do). Everyone ages differently based on nutrition, lifestyle and DNA. - When someone talks about shooting older models, are they talking about shooting someone who looks the part?, or older models that look younger?

As a photographer, I prefer shooting with older models because I can relate to them better.  The target market for my clothing line is older (30-50). - So it makes sense to use models that relate to my customers too.  Besides, older people have more money to spend.

Oct 31 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

41     (no, I am actually than that)

Oct 31 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial quote from Mayanlee:  "... As with any genre in modeling, the deciding factor is if you suit the job requirement. I have found age hasn't really meant much ... what has determined my suitability is whether I can look the part the photographer needs. For certain jobs, I take the military gay policy: don't ask, don't tell. I just let them think me the age they want to believe. ..."
Right on, right on!  I'm 31.  I'm 42. 35. 33. 40. 30. 32. 37.  big_smile

Oct 31 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jefferson Dorsey

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm currently setting up a shoot with a 40 yr old model, and she is statuesque and beautiful.  I wish I could find more 30+ models but it seems like everyone in my area (who is interested in my work) is between 18 and 25 or so.  That's cool, of course--they are beauties, too, but I want to add more range to my port.

Back to the original question about lighting.  In studio portraiture 101, we are taught that a woman should be photographed in soft light.  Men look good in stark light with heavy shadows, but do not use this lighting for women unless you are intentionally going after a high contrast kind of image.  Soft light can be achieved many ways: softbox, diffusion panel, etc.  Generally, the closer the light to the model, the softer the light.

JD

Oct 31 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

The oldest model I shot was 42.  I submitted her swimsuit pictures to a website I was working for - they were published.

We also shot some lingerie, glamour and later figure. I submitted those to a glamour site. After reading this thread, I looked at the access records for the site.

The ballots are still coming in, but the 42-year-old is well ahead in the voting, with her best photo pulling in 50% more than the competition, all attractive young ladies. The competition: an 18-year-old redhead, a paysite feature model; a 23-year-old brunette model/dancer; an 18-year-old blonde actress/model/beauty contestant/covergirl.

Its not really the age, its the look. Just my opinion.

Nov 02 06 12:41 am Link

Model

LanaV

Los Angeles, California, US

Julie Montana wrote:
I see many models over 35 and I feel they have a great understanding of there sexuality and it shows in there work!!

I agree with Julie 100%, age is only a number.

Lana

Nov 02 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

How about Donna McClure the 50 year old Boflex spokesperson?

Nov 02 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Yancy

Roseville, California, US

I shot my avatar pic on Monday - she's 41 and very cute! Good attitude and just wanting to have fun.

Here's Sandra:
https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/imagesbyyancy/Sandra%20Ruiz/IMG_0747a.jpg

https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/imagesbyyancy/Sandra%20Ruiz/IMG_0876a.jpg

https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/imagesbyyancy/Sandra%20Ruiz/IMG_0913a.jpg

And don't forget Elixir  MM# 15514! SMOKIN bod and she's 47!

There's something to be said for older women!

Nov 02 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dev

Reno, Nevada, US

Images by Yancy wrote:
There's something to be said for older women!

Touche'

Nov 03 06 03:44 pm Link