Forums > General Industry > Models 35+

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Questions are simple ...

Why you as a photographer would be interested in "older" models?
What are specifics of shooting models of this age group in your understanding?

Thanks!

Oct 28 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's not about the age, it's about the look. I'm interested in gorgeous faces and figures, not numbers - I don't discriminate, but I do realize that generally, young models tend to be more beautiful. There are exceptions to the rule, of course.

Oct 28 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I will shoot any look or age. As long as the model has the right attitude. I left you a tag.

Oct 28 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I shoot glamour.  That's typically a young young woman's game.  But if I saw an older model that blew the stripes off my tube socks age wouldn't be an issue.

Oct 28 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

WTF has age got to do with it?

Oct 28 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shooting with an older (that average) model because of her strong look in her age range is a big plus for me.  I have a lot of respect for a few models I have met here who seem to have defied their age and rock the house.

On a personal level, it is nice to shoot someone closer to my own age once in a while.  The topic of conversation as we work and get to know each other a bit tends to flow along more common lines.

Its all good though.  The look, attitude and ability to move are what I look for.  smile

Oct 28 06 02:44 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Thanks for the replies ...

What I have also noticed that some photographers do not realize that "older" models need special light setup. I had couple sessions when photographers liked me, but did not like most of images that they shoot of me wink
Mainly because of shades on the face.

Is there special light technique or Photoshop "work around" to deal with it?

Oct 28 06 02:45 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

Is it a cry from the depth or a general statement wink ?

Anyway, if it's a question to me the answer would be "I do not know". That's why I am asking.
Perhaps "age" in your statement could be replaced with anything you want: "shape" for example ?

Oct 28 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

yeah, it's called play with someone else...

I love shooting with people my own age--yours by the way, because they get the jokes, they end up being more relaxed, they have more fun after the shoot "sorry honey, you're not 21"

and don't think there is some magic light or lens to become 21 again--I checked.

Oct 28 06 02:51 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
and don't think there is some magic light or lens to become 21 again--I checked.

I never had an issue with it, as I hope you have already noticed  wink
Just interested to get photographers' insights, trying to see what is the potential here ...

Oct 28 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

No problem shooting women your age. Shameless plug, check the models in my friend list and see why 35+ can be very good. Also if you want to check further there is 60+ in my portfolio. You're local, send a note if you want to exchange ideas.

Oct 28 06 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

Supposedly this light will help wash out some age, but I really think the lighting it produces is cool, and I sure do want one.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=82229

Oct 28 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I wish there were more 35+ (hell, 50+) models to shoot on MM...

Oct 28 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

REOO Arts

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

true.

What is with your concept of age? Beauty is Beauty. And Good modeling is Good modeling. Learn from Tina.

Oct 28 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

DSmith Photo

Melrose, Iowa, US

The model in my port is 44, and I think she's sexy and beautiful as hell.  (I am biased.)  I agree with Brian.  I wish I could find some older models to shoot in my tiny town, because of the reasons others have already stated.

Oct 28 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Youth is only a perspective from where you are standing. I'm 59 so to me all pretty all the models are "young".

It all depends on what the photos will be used for. If I need a model to show off the latest pair of shoes I'm going to use a model who would be more likely to wear them, a younger model.

If I need a model to exemplfy sophistication for a car ad....my bet is the older model.

There is no one size fits all in modeling.

For the poster who stated young models are generally more attractive.......better get back to some of those photo classes you missed. I've seen some pretty hang dog young models in my day.

Oct 28 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

There is something about "older" women.  I have shot a 43 year old and produced some beautiful images.  I have a print hanging in my foyer.  I think it comes down to attitude.  Older women seem to have their shit together.  Nothing to prove.  I think if they want to pose (I am talking nudes here) then they genuinely want to pose.  I wish there were more out there, unfortunately I think most of them think they are too old or they aren't sexy anymore when in fact they are quite beautiful and would be shocked to see what a good photographer good do with them.  I think it is a good thing because it changes the way they view themselves--a big boost to self esteem and self view.

Oct 28 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Sean Abel Photography

Newburgh, New York, US

age is not a factor its all about the look and what you are shooting

Oct 28 06 10:21 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

What I have also noticed that some photographers do not realize that "older" models need special light setup. I had couple sessions when photographers liked me, but did not like most of images that they shoot of me wink

Ok..
First of...I started modeling when I was 32..yeah sure I am a man, but believe me, I am a champ in the face line dept..;-)
It is about the look, not the age
Also..forget about "photoshop or lighting " to make you look better
That is just fake, and zero point if the pics look nothing like you
If you are good enough it doesnt matter how old you are, I know of very succesful models in they're 50's and 60's

Oct 28 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

Most of what I shoot is aimed at being in marketing campaigns.  I ran some SQL queries on our database and the average age in the demographic of the target audience is 33.  So it makes sense to to use models who are 35+, not that I ever have, I have not found any.  So I shoot mostly 19 year olds.

I'd shoot 35+ if they came to me and asked.

Oct 28 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

NCISTUDIOS

Ripon, California, US

I am not biased either, Some of my best photos are of models 35+. As a photographer I am more after the look then I am the age.

Oct 28 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

35+ is no problem here on Mm.. use the browse feature.. I did a search in the US for models 35 to 60 and it came up with over 900. from 40 to 60 it found 354.

So they are out there.. and I did browse a number of them.. very beautiful women in that group.

Oct 28 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

you're just a kid

i'm out your way on occasion..

Oct 28 06 11:40 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

Well darn.... I was hoping there was myself. LOL
smile Caroline
(will be 38 in February)

Oct 28 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

YOU need to be conscious of light and how it plays with your face.. Barbara Walters ALWAYS has soft light on her when she is on tv or being photographed..

I know exactly what you are talking about.. Diffused light is the only magic pill for softening what time does to us..

the little life lines that come with age, the difference in skin texture, etc..

So once you figure out what angles DONT work for you, you can make the necessary adjustments no matter who is holding the camera..

Good luck..

Oh, and your figure is STELLAR.. Luving your muscle tone.. there are some 20 year olds that should take notes from you..

Oct 28 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I see this all the time...it's a generalization and is NOT law.

"Older models tend to convey more in their images, which makes them more appealing to photographers I know for artistic and editorial work."

Oct 28 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:
Questions are simple ...

Thanks!

It truely does depend on the lady in question... some can do it very well.

Oct 28 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

There is a certain poise, elegance, and sophistication that becomes part of a person's look in their 30's and 40's. The inate natural look of authority (or maybe superiority, I'm having hard time putting the feeling into words) with this age group is very hard to do with models in their teens and early twenties.

Younger models may have a youthful radiant look in their beauty, but it sure is hard for them to convey a majestic or powerful, confident look of authority or regalness.

Neither beauty is better, IMHO. The world just seems to be fixated on the beauty look of youth.

Oct 28 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robert47

Riverside, California, US

RStephenT wrote:
It truely does depend on the lady in question... some can do it very well.

I truely agree.  In my portfolio here, I used three models.  The one in red and again in the long purple gown turns 50 in Nov this year.....

Oct 28 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Trois  I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat   : )

Oct 28 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Bullhead Photography wrote:
Trois  I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat   : )

Wow ;^) !

Just got up and so many replies in this thread.

Thank you so very much for your opinion and advises, especially the one with reference to how to work with light.

Oct 28 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:
Questions are simple ...

Thanks!

Because older models bring snacks for the photographer wink

Oct 28 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Ditto here !
Maybe older models are more "mature" regarding showing up and are serious about doing a shoot , IMHO smile

AndrewG wrote:
35+ is no problem here on Mm.. use the browse feature.. I did a search in the US for models 35 to 60 and it came up with over 900. from 40 to 60 it found 354.

So they are out there.. and I did browse a number of them.. very beautiful women in that group.

Oct 28 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Seth wrote:
Because older models bring snacks for the photographer wink

Mmmhmm ... to bite off more than you can chew ... (wink)
Kathy, 42

Oct 28 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

I'm shooting a 34 y/o tomorrow; gonna catch her before she turns 35 and becomes an "older" model.https://bestsmileys.com/lol/16.gif

I plan to shoot quite a bit with a new ring light to eliminate as many shadows as I can, but otherwise I'll be using the hugh softbox that I normally use.  I'll let you know how it goes afterwards.

Oct 28 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

I actually prefer to shot the older more "mature" women. I feel that they can more express emotion as they have probably lived it more than once.

If I were to let's say.. ask the model to give me a look that is pensive.. most (not all) of the younger models ask me what pensive is. Younger models (again, not all) cant give me that "I want you" look either.

Showing expressions seems to be something that the older more mature models can do without thinking..

God, or who ever you believe created everything in our universe made Two very beautiful things in this world.. I like to shoot both of them... Women and landscapes.. and the beauty is in the maturity of both.

and later today.. I am shooting a 40 year old woman who is beautiful, and mature.. but has never before posed for a photographer other than school pictures and a family portrait about 5 years ago...

Oct 28 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

A special light technique to what?  Shoot an older model?  Show that she's older?  Make her look young?

If I need a model who looks 20, then I shoot a model who looks 20 and call it a day.  I don't bother with trying to make someone who looks 30 appear 20.  Or someone who looks 40 appear 20. 

I'd love to shoot an older model.  And I would make her appear every day of her age.  And I'd make her look good.

But I've no interest in making her look 20 or even 10 years younger.

I want someone who's going to walk in and be sexy and confident and absolutely proud of looking the way she does.  If the model is preoccupied with me making her "look young" or somesuch nonsense, then she's got an insecurity that's going to impede her modeling and my shooting.  I've no interest in that.  None at all...

You don't see Lauren Hutton trying to look 25, do you?  She knows she looks great.  With her just-shy-of-63-year-old-and-still-gorgeous behind...

Oct 28 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Andy Rooney said this years ago and I still love it:

"As I grow in age, I value older women most of all.  Here are just a few reasons why."

An older woman will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

An older woman knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of 50 give a damn what you might think about her.

An older single woman usually has had her fill of "meaningful relationships" and commitment." The last thing she needs in her life is another dopey, clingy, whiny, dependent lover!

Older women are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Most older women cook well. They care about cleanliness and are generous with praise, often undeserved.

An older woman has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends.

A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women. Older women couldn't care less.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to an older woman. They always know.

An older woman looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women or drag queens.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, an older woman is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Her libido's stronger, her fear of pregnancy gone.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you are a jerk if you are acting like one.

Yes, we praise older women for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coifed babe of 70 there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22 year old waitress.

Oct 28 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

RonColeman

Windsor, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:
Questions are simple ...

Thanks!

I prefer working with more mature models,..they have an air of confidence about them.

To me, a beautiful image is all about the expression in the eyes relating to the pose, and the lighting.

Oct 28 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

RonColeman

Windsor, California, US

Mayanlee wrote:
"Andy Rooney said this years ago and I still love it:"

Gotta love Andy smile

Oct 28 06 01:53 pm Link