Forums > General Industry > Models 35+

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Some interesting responses here. For what it's worth, the average age of the ladies I work is is about 35. The oldest was in her early 60s and the youngest was 18. It all depends on the requiremnts for the specific job at hand.

Oct 28 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Oops!

Oct 28 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Guess how old the model in my avatar is?

Oct 28 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

Julie Montana

Kalispell, Montana, US

I see many models over 35 and I feel they have a great understanding of there sexuality and it shows in there work!!

Oct 28 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I wish there were more 35+ (hell, 50+) models to shoot on MM...

Hello! (From my photographer port...but yeah, ummm, keep me in mind!)

Oct 28 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Peggy V

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ah Mayan Lee, you always have the BEST answers!  In all honesty, as an 'older model' I have found that it is very difficult to be published from a glamour perspective...while I still believe the images have a powerful moving effect, the mainstream has not come to accept that (at least not the glamour mainstream).  However, from a commercial perspective, an older, fit model is quite marketable.  So if you are a photographer looking to make money from stock/commercial photography, older models can certainly be quite appealing.

Unfortunately, in the glamour world, we aren't much more than a 'different' pretty face!  SOMEONE please put a quality magazine out there showcasing the sensual beauty of the older woman!!

Peg

Oct 28 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Seth wrote:

Because older models bring snacks for the photographer wink

Ooops, I didn't wink

Oct 29 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
WTF has age got to do with it?

i 2nd way duse it matter

Oct 29 06 12:53 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Mac Swift wrote:
There is something about "older" women.  I have shot a 43 year old and produced some beautiful images.  I have a print hanging in my foyer.  I think it comes down to attitude.  Older women seem to have their shit together.  Nothing to prove.  I think if they want to pose (I am talking nudes here) then they genuinely want to pose.  I wish there were more out there, unfortunately I think most of them think they are too old or they aren't sexy anymore when in fact they are quite beautiful and would be shocked to see what a good photographer good do with them.  I think it is a good thing because it changes the way they view themselves--a big boost to self esteem and self view.

I really like what you wrote. It makes so much sense. I wish there were more out there too...

Oct 29 06 12:53 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

InnerGlow Studios wrote:

I'm shooting a 34 y/o tomorrow; gonna catch her before she turns 35 and becomes an "older" model.https://bestsmileys.com/lol/16.gif

I plan to shoot quite a bit with a new ring light to eliminate as many shadows as I can, but otherwise I'll be using the hugh softbox that I normally use.  I'll let you know how it goes afterwards.

Yes, please keep me posted. Would love to see how you do it smile

Oct 29 06 12:55 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
I don't bother with trying to make someone who looks 30 appear 20.  Or someone who looks 40 appear 20.

Absolutely ...
However this is not what I meant when mentioned technique, etc.

This thread came out of frustration that I felt about a month ago. A friend of mine, quite a good photographer was very excited when he learned that I decided to model. We scheduled a shoot and spent about 3 hours in studio.

And then he had nothing that he liked. He said "It's not you, it's someone else much older." May be it's something about how human face is aging, may be it's the light that he didn't use properly, but for whatever reason there were too many unwanted shades, those that people do not see in the normal situation.

Oct 29 06 01:04 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Francis Moran wrote:
Guess how old the model in my avatar is?

She is about ..... She it totally awesome!  Or are you ;^) ?

Oct 29 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

This last model I shot is over 60..  I like the confidence they bring to the shoots...

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061021/13/453a6dd984a27.jpg

Oct 29 06 01:12 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

Great-looking 60+ model!
I'm "older" (will be 39 in Feb) and want to get back into an agency. I was with Stars in SF and Metropolitan in Paris when I was in my 20's, and honestly, I don't feel as though my skin has aged and apparently neither does anyone else. Weird, and maybe genetic, but I've never met my bio family, so I don't know. I'm just thankful to the Goddess, the universe and the element water. smile I also want to market myself properly here on MM and don't know what to put down for my age, as my apparent age is younger, which is what counts in the searches. But I HATE the idea of lying about my age (I'm rather proud) so if I do change it I'd probably put a disclaimer in my profile.
At this age I am more comfortable with people, my body and my sexuality, and it has really worked to my advantage in erotic/pin-up/fetish shoots.
Advice?
PS OP is gawjus!

Oct 29 06 01:51 am Link

Model

Ms Lee

Like the OP but on the other side of the country (MD), I had an experience with shadows and lines.  I'm also interested in locating photographers who want to shoot "older" models.

Oct 29 06 06:26 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Serena Toxicat wrote:
Great-looking 60+ model!
I'm "older" (will be 39 in Feb) and want to get back into an agency. I was with Stars in SF and Metropolitan in Paris when I was in my 20's, and honestly, I don't feel as though my skin has aged and apparently neither does anyone else. Weird, and maybe genetic, but I've never met my bio family, so I don't know. I'm just thankful to the Goddess, the universe and the element water. smile I also want to market myself properly here on MM and don't know what to put down for my age, as my apparent age is younger, which is what counts in the searches. But I HATE the idea of lying about my age (I'm rather proud) so if I do change it I'd probably put a disclaimer in my profile.
At this age I am more comfortable with people, my body and my sexuality, and it has really worked to my advantage in erotic/pin-up/fetish shoots.
Advice?
PS OP is gawjus!

I don't think advice is needed in this case.

As with any genre in modeling, the deciding factor is if you suit the job requirement. I have found age hasn't really meant much ... what has determined my suitability is whether I can look the part the photographer needs. For certain jobs, I take the military gay policy: don't ask, don't tell. I just let them think me the age they want to believe.

By the same dint, I realize what I can and can't do. With age came curves and added weight (that I'm unwilling to be overly disciplined in controlling) ... I stopped doing the fashion/editorial type stuff years ago. Same with Maxim-style glamour. There are loads more models who look better in lingerie and bikinis than I do. I don't believe in making myself look silly for public consumption.

Would it be nice to see a glam-mag that glorifies older beauty? Sure, but we'd probably start a new fight akin to the Dove commercial one...

Oct 29 06 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Robert Matthews

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wish I was closer to the OP.  Would LOVE to shoot with her.  All types of women can look great at any age, but I think that the first half-century serves as a prelude to the even better second.

Oct 29 06 07:41 am Link

Model

ncprettylady

Salisbury, North Carolina, US

Thanks for posting the question. I wish these guys that say they don't mind shooting older models would actually shoot more older models. I would love to do more shoots!!

Oct 29 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Matthews

Washington, District of Columbia, US

ncprettylady wrote:
Thanks for posting the question. I wish these guys that say they don't mind shooting older models would actually shoot more older models. I would love to do more shoots!!

As I've told you before, I can't wait to have you come up to the DC area!

Oct 29 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Syl

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

anyone want to shoot?

Oct 29 06 09:07 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

syl wrote:
anyone want to shoot?

Dude, you're way too young to qualify for this thread unless you're talking as a photographer....

tongue

Oct 29 06 09:22 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Iris Lee wrote:
Like the OP ....

Can someone shed the light who is OP?

Oct 29 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Maddela

San Diego, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Can someone shed the light who is OP?

OP = Original Poster, so in this case that would be you :-P

Oct 29 06 02:30 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Ian Maddela wrote:

OP = Original Poster, so in this case that would be you :-P

ha ha ha ...

Tnanks for clarifying wink

Oct 29 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Mayanlee wrote:
Andy Rooney said this years ago and I still love it:

"As I grow in age, I value older women most of all.  Here are just a few reasons why."

An older woman will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

An older woman knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of 50 give a damn what you might think about her.

An older single woman usually has had her fill of "meaningful relationships" and commitment." The last thing she needs in her life is another dopey, clingy, whiny, dependent lover!

Older women are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Most older women cook well. They care about cleanliness and are generous with praise, often undeserved.

An older woman has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends.

A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women. Older women couldn't care less.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to an older woman. They always know.

An older woman looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women or drag queens.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, an older woman is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Her libido's stronger, her fear of pregnancy gone.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you are a jerk if you are acting like one.

Yes, we praise older women for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coifed babe of 70 there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22 year old waitress.

This was filled with soooo many truths and speaks more than what I thought.

At 30 soon to be 31. I have figured out what I want in life for myself and my children. I have over come many insecurities as well as many mentally draining battles (divorce, cheating spouses, jealous exes, etc). I believe the "older" female models have finally realized inner strength is beauty rather than the illussions of what main stream media portrays beauty to be.

Meela smile

Oct 29 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

As far as people actually interested in modeling (whether seriously or as a hobby) I've worked with 2 models that were 17 years old and the oldest model I've worked with is 29 years old (the first two pics in my port currently).  smile  Most have been between 20 and 25.

Oct 29 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

jack for photos

Great Barrington, Massachusetts, US

I've worked with half a dozen nude models over 30 and 2 over 40 and would happily shoot more any time.

I agree that they are more confident & relaxed about being nude than most younger models.

Jack

Oct 29 06 03:23 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Meela wrote:
At 30 soon to be 31. I have figured out what I want in life for myself and my children. I have over come many insecurities as well as many mentally draining battles (divorce, cheating spouses, jealous exes, etc). I believe the "older" female models have finally realized inner strength is beauty rather than the illussions of what main stream media portrays beauty to be.

Awesome thoughts, Meela. So nice to see such a beautiful woman inside and outside.
Now imagine that next 10 years are going to be even more challenging and "inner strengthening" wink

The best of luck to you!

Oct 29 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Serena Toxicat wrote:
Great-looking 60+ model!
Advice?
PS OP is gawjus!

All smiles hearing all of this. So when are we shooting? ;-)

Oct 29 06 09:23 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I will be 30 in about two weeks, god help us all...

Oct 29 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

It's a very good age. :-)

Oct 29 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Scribe of Souls

Bonner Springs, Kansas, US

I love to shoot older women...Take a look at my port...one model is almost 80...another is 60...a couple more are 40.  They are all beautiful pictures in their own way.  The models are easy to work with and all have a story and beauty all their own.

As a side note, a friend of mine won Miss Nude North America a few years back, competing against a bevy of 20 - 30 year olds.  She was 43.  My advise for photographers, "Our job is to look for, discover, find, and shoot, the inherent beauty in all the models we meet and to reproduce that beauty so others can share our vision."

Just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.  But this is mine for the record.

Oct 29 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

I love to shoot younger women.

Oct 29 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

dfstudios wrote:
I love to shoot younger women.

Hmmmm ;^)

Oct 30 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Rae01

Austin, Texas, US

Serena Toxicat wrote:
Great-looking 60+ model!
Advice?
PS OP is gawjus!

i modeled professionally in my teens and early twenties.  i started doing local jobs about a year ago when a fashion photographer encouraged me to get back into it.  i lied about my age when i originally set up my mm profile, then after i'd shot with a few photographers, i put my real age up, and i still get plenty of contacts and offers.  the MOST uncomfortable things about the lying were feeling like i might be outted when i got to an appointment (never happened, thank goodness) and showing up for a shoot and having the photographer change the music to "something that someone of MY (i.e. younger) generation would enjoy."  hhhaaaaaa!!!

Oct 30 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Rae01 wrote:

i modeled professionally in my teens and early twenties.  i started doing local jobs about a year ago when a fashion photographer encouraged me to get back into it.  i lied about my age when i originally set up my mm profile, then after i'd shot with a few photographers, i put my real age up, and i still get plenty of contacts and offers.  the MOST uncomfortable things about the lying were feeling like i might be outted when i got to an appointment (never happened, thank goodness) and showing up for a shoot and having the photographer change the music to "something that someone of MY generation would enjoy."  hhhaaaaaa!!!

Oh I don't think you ever had much to worry about, and you're a little older than I am, not that that's any hinderance. I certainly don't think of myself as old just yet. ;-)

Oct 30 06 11:53 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Awesome thoughts, Meela. So nice to see such a beautiful woman inside and outside.
Now imagine that next 10 years are going to be even more challenging and "inner strengthening" wink

The best of luck to you!

LOL....of course it will be....heck the off road bike trail just two weeks ago was a huge challenge in itself (maaaaaaann... did I feel the pain from that one.....lol).

Life is always full of challenges that is what makes it so great. Just think if there was no challenges ever and everything was easy as pie....wow that would be dull. Right now the biggest challenge is getting the kids to realize this too.

Thanks for the compliments.

Meela smile

Oct 30 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

wolverina

Port Talbot, Wales, United Kingdom

Hi there from wales in the uk,im 42 and still kick some ass.xx

Oct 30 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

LanaV

Los Angeles, California, US

I have never had a photographer complain on my age (Yet?)

Lana

Oct 30 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

wolverina wrote:
Hi there from wales in the uk,im 42 and still kick some ass.xx

You sure do wink

Look at that ...
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061026/12/ … 5b72d9.jpg

Oct 31 06 02:53 am Link