Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I was talking with a friend tonight about this and it's something I havent given much thought to. Do any of you have experience with toxic relationships, whether they be friends/significant others etc? If so, do you feel they damaged you in any way or do you feel like a new person that you broke free from it? What's your story?

I'm genuinely curious and i'll expand more on her explanation/experience.

*edit* also, anyone feel free to PM me. I'm genuinely curious.

Sep 11 12 05:41 pm Link

Model

Solacium

Charleston, South Carolina, US

If you're curious you can PM me, I have a story but am not comfy posting it publicly smile

Sep 11 12 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

poisoned me. 

I tend to purge the toxin, but you know how that goes, once you get poisoned, you are a little weaker.  remember how when superman got stabbed with kryptonite and even though he did eventually come back...  he was weaker.  Like that, except I can't fly.

Sep 11 12 05:48 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Damon Banner wrote:
poisoned me. 

I tend to purge the toxin, but you know how that goes, once you get poisoned, you are a little weaker.  remember how when superman got stabbed with kryptonite and even though he did eventually come back...  he was weaker.  Like that, except I can't fly.

Okay, but do you think this is a permanent scar? If so, why or how?

Sep 11 12 05:48 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

My relationship with my mother is completely toxic.

I ended up completely disowning her and refuse to have anything to do with her. My own mental state has been improving ever since. She completely destroyed me as an individual for the majority of my life.
The last 2 years or so have been better; I've slowly learned that she is a waste of space and was awful to me for no reason. I used to genuinely believe I deserve it.

If you want to know what happened to cause me to believe she is toxic, I'll tell you in a PM.

Sep 11 12 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I was talking with a friend tonight about this and it's something I havent given much thought to. Do any of you have experience with toxic relationships, whether they be friends/significant others etc? If so, do you feel they damaged you in any way or do you feel like a new person that you broke free from it? What's your story?

I'm genuinely curious and i'll expand more on her explanation/experience.

Definitely had some toxic relationships/friendships.

Do they leave lasting effects? Yes.  Negative effects?  Not necessarily.  Depends on what perspective you choose to put things in - I prefer to consider them to have been "learning experiences".

Sep 11 12 05:55 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nicolette wrote:

I ended up completely disowning her and refuse to have anything to do with her. My own mental state has been improving ever since.

I simply cannot imagine having a toxic relationship with my family. That has to be difficult because you didnt choose to be there. Friends/roommates/S.O.'s you choose to have relationships with. Not that one is easier or harder, I just cant imagine that being anything more than traumatic for anyone. sad

Did this happen recently? Do you feel like you'll be healed one day?

Sep 11 12 05:57 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Definitely had some toxic relationships/friendships.

Do they leave lasting effects? Yes.  Negative effects?  Not necessarily.  Depends on what perspective you choose to put things in - I prefer to consider them to have been "learning experiences".

Ah, yeah that is sort of what I thought but i'm forced to think that will take an immense amount of time. Is it easy to talk about? Do you feel foolish for being in one?

Sep 11 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If a person suffers from some sort of emotional "trauma" there may be a tendency to seek out people like the "traumatizer". An person who was emotionally abused as a child may have a tendency to seek out a person like the abuser, so that "this time" it will be different. This is especially true with adults who were neglected by a parent.

Cognitive Therapy is very helpful in gaining insight into one's own emotional reactions and to see the patterns that may repeat.

Sep 11 12 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Ah, yeah that is sort of what I thought but i'm forced to think that will take an immense amount of time. Is it easy to talk about? Do you feel foolish for being in one?

It might take an immense amount of time...I think it depends on what one's been through. 

Somethings are easier to talk about than others - again, entirely dependant on what has occurred.

Have I ever felt foolish?  Sure - usually right after my eyes have been opened.  Do I sometimes get mad at myself.  Yup.  But do I have regrets?  Not really - that's wasted energy...I try not to regret things. 

It's okay to make mistakes.  It's ok to say to yourself, "I made a mistake here", but that's how we learn.  Regret is a totally different beast - it's the one that prevents growth, it's the one that won't let us let go.  Regret is what will leave the scars and the bad taste in your mouth.

Sep 11 12 06:04 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I simply cannot imagine having a toxic relationship with my family. That has to be difficult because you didnt choose to be there. Friends/roommates/S.O.'s you choose to have relationships with. Not that one is easier or harder, I just cant imagine that being anything more than traumatic for anyone. sad

Did this happen recently? Do you feel like you'll be healed one day?

My relationship with my mother had been toxic pretty much since the day I was born [she didn't want to have me, at all] and my father was absent. I left her in my dust for good when I was about 16 years old. She would occasionally be medicated for a month or so until I was about 20... I tried to heal and fix things with her, but the damage has been done. I cut off all ties. Perhaps some day, I will be healed. For now, I just tell people I do not have a mother. I have someone who gave birth to me, but that is different than having a mother.

BUT, my toxic relationship with her, for a while, convinced me that was how all relationships were supposed to be. I dated a string of emotionally and physically abusive guys for quite some time. To an extent, I still have issues with people using me. I don't just lie down and take it anymore though. I suppose that's healing, in a way.

Sep 11 12 06:07 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Light Writer wrote:
If a person suffers from some sort of emotional "trauma" there may be a tendency to seek out people like the "traumatizer". An person who was emotionally abused as a child may have a tendency to seek out a person like the abuser, so that "this time" it will be different. This is especially true with adults who were neglected by a parent.

Cognitive Therapy is very helpful in gaining insight into one's own emotional reactions and to see the patterns that may repeat.

Pretty much my belief as well.

Everyone plays a role in a relationship. If for some reason I've found a relationship to be negative to both parties, I step away to analyze why.

Sep 11 12 06:07 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

It might take an immense amount of time...I think it depends on what one's been through. 

Somethings are easier to talk about than others - again, entirely dependant on what has occurred.

Have I ever felt foolish?  Sure - usually right after my eyes have been opened.  Do I sometimes get mad at myself.  Yup.  But do I have regrets?  Not really - that's wasted energy...I try not to regret things. 

It's okay to make mistakes.  It's ok to say to yourself, "I made a mistake here", but that's how we learn.  Regret is a totally different beast - it's the one that prevents growth, it's the one that won't let us let go.  Regret is what will leave the scars and the bad taste in your mouth.

That is the conclusion I seem to have come up with myself. I always try to NEVER ever regret anything I did in my life but learn from it. I recently admitted some things in my past (albeit just a couple) that I dont think i'd dealt with by saying them out loud and then understand the repercussions. It was eye opening.

That feeling of having your eyes opening seems to be the beginning.

Thank you for that.

Sep 11 12 06:12 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Light Writer wrote:

This is the way I'd look at it psychologically but i'm trying very very hard not to do that. I'm literally trying to sort through something I just do not understand on a personal level but am beginning to.

Sep 11 12 06:13 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

indefinite anomaly wrote:

Pretty much my belief as well.

Everyone plays a role in a relationship. If for some reason I've found a relationship to be negative to both parties, I step away to analyze why.

Absolutely.

Sep 11 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Okay, but do you think this is a permanent scar? If so, why or how?

I think everything in life has a permanent impact on you.  Scar?  I might not use that word to describe me.  Maybe others might have those types of "scars" (commonly called baggage).

Sep 11 12 06:18 pm Link

Model

K Allende

Columbus, Ohio, US

Light Writer wrote:

Yep, I did that for years. My dad is a paranoid schizophrenic, among other things, who was emotionally abusive and neglectful back when he was addicted to various things and going without treatment.

I moved in with him when I was a young teen thinking I could make him better and that didn't work.
So I dated a lot of guys like him in some way or another trying to fix them as well and obviously getting used, abused, and manipulated in the process. I wasn't much better on the front of being mature and not abusing others either.

I rekindled a relationship with my dad who, while still suffers from mental illness, is on proper medication and is doing his best (we speak at least three times a week for 30 minutes to an hour at a time), got some therapy for myself, and now have a great relationship with a great guy. But, we weren't always so great for each other.   Not that we were ever horrible for each other and breaking up every other week whenever we fought about something. But, we both had some steps we needed to take to make our relationship the best and be the best we could be for each other. To sum it up, it was a matter of both of us maturing in the ways we needed to.

I don't have many friends because I am a lot more guarded against toxicity these days. I have enough going on with all my illnesses that the last thing I want to deal with is petty friend drama. I have various minor family drama, like stuff with my brother and his wife, but I can deal with that like a boss. I just find myself unable to deal with friend drama that I think is unnecessary.

Letting go of my anger for things not being how I wished them to be during my child-hood has helped me immensely. My dad is now a positive in my life and no longer a negative and I'm a lot more emotionally stable for taking the time to sort out all my issues.

Sep 11 12 06:19 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nicolette wrote:

My relationship with my mother had been toxic pretty much since the day I was born [she didn't want to have me, at all] and my father was absent. I left her in my dust for good when I was about 16 years old. She would occasionally be medicated for a month or so until I was about 20... I tried to heal and fix things with her, but the damage has been done. I cut off all ties. Perhaps some day, I will be healed. For now, I just tell people I do not have a mother. I have someone who gave birth to me, but that is different than having a mother.

BUT, my toxic relationship with her, for a while, convinced me that was how all relationships were supposed to be. I dated a string of emotionally and physically abusive guys for quite some time. To an extent, I still have issues with people using me. I don't just lie down and take it anymore though. I suppose that's healing, in a way.

That's a very good thing for you to admit. In general, I feel like a lot of people dont admit things they are involved in because they became involved in them for a reason and it calls for self introspection which in itself is difficult to do.

I dont necessarily think this applies to you because it's a parent, which is someone you rely on and sort of have to until adolescence. I think it's great you are open to growth and learning from it.

Sep 11 12 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

That is the conclusion I seem to have come up with myself. I always try to NEVER ever regret anything I did in my life but learn from it. I recently admitted some things in my past (albeit just a couple) that I dont think i'd dealt with by saying them out loud and then understand the repercussions. It was eye opening.

That feeling of having your eyes opening seems to be the beginning.

Thank you for that.

Just give it time and be easy on yourself.  smile

Sep 11 12 06:23 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Just give it time and be easy on yourself.  smile

Well, I was talking about regret there but it's kind of easy for me to beat up on myself when the truth is I dont need to do that. It isnt healthy. So I choose not to. smile

Sep 11 12 06:24 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Model Sarah wrote:
That's a very good thing for you to admit. In general, I feel like a lot of people dont admit things they are involved in because they became involved in them for a reason and it calls for self introspection which in itself is difficult to do.

I dont necessarily think this applies to you because it's a parent, which is someone you rely on and sort of have to until adolescence. I think it's great you are open to growth and learning from it.

Introspection is definitely difficult and it requires being very in tune with how you're actually feeling.

I understand it's different because it was a parent. But, toxicity starts somewhere, ya know? It started with my mother, became a part of me, and spilled over into my friendships and romantic relationships. I tolerate a lot of bullshit in my love life because I truly believe that I, to an extent, deserve it because of how my mother was to me. Deep down I know it isn't true... but I still deal with the scars and the fact that it carries over into other aspects of my life.

Sep 11 12 06:27 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nicolette wrote:

Hey mine too!

And i have friends who are in a very toxic relationship right now..
Not going to say anything on here about it but man..

Sep 11 12 07:33 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I have been in two toxic relationships, but I'm going to focus on the one that nearly killed me.

So...I started dating this guy right before I turned 19. I knew him fairly well for a few years, so I didn't see too much harm in skipping the "dating" phase before entering the "relationship" phase (yeah, I was a sucker back then). He was everything I wasn't: he was assertive, aggressive, critical, experienced, had a ton of sexual partners,  blah blah blah, he smoked, he had a tattoo, he was foreign, spoke a different language fluently...you get the picture. I was star-struck. Within the first month of us dating, he started nudging me to change certain behaviors. You know, get over my shyness, dress a little nicer, take more pride in my appearance/who I was/my accomplishments/etc. He started criticizing some of the less-than-perfect-moments of my family, started talking about the politics of gender roles...

Three months into the relationship, he started saying he couldn't control himself around me. Like, if I kissed him in this way how could I not expect him to push for sex? How could I not understand when he couldn't stop because I had done that. That usual bullshit, which lead to the first time I've had my first pregnancy scare.

One year into the relationship, I didn't exist anymore. I couldn't make a decision, because no matter what I chose, it'd set him off into a blind rage. I remember once, we were hanging out at his parents' place (he lived with them), when my mother asked me to bring back her car so she could run errands. He lived maybe seven miles away, so he jumped in his car and mine in hers so we could return the car. We were gone maybe 10 minutes between our two houses. When we came back, his parents were standing in a rage, saying how we had missed dinner and it was all my fault, which is where his father proceeded to yell at me for the next two-and-a-half hours about my irresponsibility, my bad parents, my poor manners, how I'm a poison to his son, how I'm a succubus robbing his son of so many opportunities, blah blah blah....and I just stood there, frozen. And my boyfriend at the time let him. He even joined in on the yelling after I left for home.

Four months before our two-year anniversary, my parents stepped in. They took me up north to celebrate with my father's side of the family for Christmas. We were in Utah for two or three weeks. During this time, I started the healing process, and my eyes started to open. I saw that my boyfriend was manipulating me and that I deserved better. I knew I could find better. I decided my first step to healing was to return to university (he had convinced me to drop out). My parents decided to support my decision, found me an apartment, paid the deposit, paid all of my tuition, and I enrolled in the Spring Semester for 2009.

Two or three weeks after I left the state and returned to school, I found the courage to break up with him. I was a coward and broke up with him over the phone...but I knew that if I had tried that in person, he'd have killed me.

Once I broke up with him, my body collapsed. I had a constant fever of 104 for the rest of the semester, I went down to 82 lbs (mind you, I was 5'02" and almost 21 years old by this time), I couldn't keep much food down without constant abdominal pain (which I'm still dealing with), etc etc. I'm amazed I passed all my classes.

Yes...this was a toxic relationship. And it still affects me. I still find myself scared to make decisions because there's a small part that believes I can't think for myself--that I'm a danger to myself and my surrounding community. I am VERY gun-shy when I meet new men, especially if they have an aggressive personality. My husband, to this day, can't raise his hands too quickly when close to me without me flinching, although I know with ever fiber of my being David would NEVER touch me in anger. And I am still learning what a "normal" relationship entails. I'm learning that being called a succubus is NOT normal nor acceptable; I'm learning that I, as a woman, matter and can have an opinion over finances, budgets, decorating, etc. I am learning that I am powerful. That I am smart. That I matter.

It's been almost four years since I left that relationship...but it will be many years until he is completely out of my veins.

(sorry for the lengthy post).

Sep 11 12 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

AllisonRPhotos

Arlington, Virginia, US

I have a couple stories (unfortunately) so I'll post bits.

My dad was schizophrenic but refused treatment. I didn't even know about his mental illnesses until last year. He was short tempered, full of rage and just an awfully troubled soul. He would beat my mom and threaten her often, he degraded me non-stop and constantly threatened to hurt me. He even tried killing my mom in front of me. After years of this we finally left him - my scars are mostly emotional but it hasn't stopped me from going for my dreams. My mom, on the other had, now deals with her own mental illnesses caused by the trauma he caused.

My first boyfriend was the most manipulative fuck I've ever met. Started dating when I was 13, he was 15. He basically moved so fast with me that I lost my virginity shortly after turning 14. He would yell at me often, say bad things about me, not defend me in front of his (bat shit insane) mom, etc. He thought I was cheating on him CONSTANTLY and always wanted to watch what I was doing. When I moved about an hour and a half away he claimed that I was "Running a brothel" out of the apartment I was living in with my dad just because I was home alone so often. Thankfully we broke up.

...Then I started dating loser #2. Super insecure, also always thought I was cheating. Had a lot of issues with anxiety and was constantly on edge about things. Despite his family being super rich he whined about everything he couldn't have. When my dad was dying in front of me (cancer) he didn't want to come to the Hospice to sit with me to comfort me. I had to BEG him to come so I had some support. Shortly after my dad died he pretended to commit suicide by "overdosing" in his car on the way to my house because I was breaking up with him. When he arrived I went to call an ambulance and he told me he was "just joking" which sent me into the worst and only panic attack I've ever had. For some reason I stayed with him and only broke up with him when he tried to keep me from going to college. That's when I finally said goodbye because I wouldn't stop chasing my dreams.

Now I'm a senior in college and in a very healthy and loving relationship. No drama, no craziness, no jealousy. Just love. It's awesome.   smile

Sep 11 12 08:32 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

My mom always had issues with codependency, and trying to control other people, often through manipulating them. She grew up in a really fucked up home, so I understood why she was the way she was -- even when I was a little kid, I realized my mom was that way because of her childhood. She pretty much admitted it.

I've always been a pretty affectionate, good-natured kind of person, but the first real relationship I ever had was with a schizophrenic (diagnosed and on meds for it) drug addict. I think I picked up the codependency thing from my mom, and never even realized it was there until I was in a context that brought it out. It took me a long time to be able to work through codependency issues, and I still tend to attract lovers into my life who have negative world-views, clingy behavior, and self-esteem problems. On the scale of 'bad' characteristics to have in a partner, those are actually not that serious, but they exist, and may or may not be related to the vestiges of codependency that tend to get resurrected in my life, periodically, and accidentally.

I say "may or may not" because it might very well be that I just over-compensate for the behaviors I HATE in people (cockiness, acting like a bad-ass all the time, and neglectful) by just selecting partners who are so far to the opposite end of the spectrum that they end up being clingy and lacking self-esteem. There's nothing that grosses me out worse than some cocky, alpha male-type dude. Gross.

The negative world-view thing, however, that's my mom coming out right there. No doubt about that one.

Sep 11 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The people in my life, friends, family, and lovers, have always been a bit of a mixed bag.

The relationship with my father is toxic in the sense that it doesn't exist and thats certainly had its effects on me. The times we spent together weren't good ones, the efforts I made that weren't reciprocated in my adult years were hurtful. Id love to say I'm over it, but I don't honestly think I'm ever going to get 100% over it. I can only learn to do without. I learned that keeping any semblance of hope for a change was toxic and only hurting me more, so I had to give that up.

The relationship with my mother is fantastic.

The relationship with my sister is okay. Shes a raving lunatic, and we of course had a rocky childhood with her being 5 years older than me, but we do alright. It's annoying that she can be such a crazy bitch so I have to tip toe around some things, and resist the urge to strangle her if we're together too long, but that's my biggest complaint.

My extended family, particularly the females (aunts) are...eh. I don't care for most of them, as they don't care much for what I do with my life and I don't like or respect them when they complain to my mother that she didn't raise us right, as if they have any room to talk with all their emotionally fucked up children and family issues of their own. I prefer very short and seldom visits with them. I'd like to love them, but they make it difficult.

I've had a handful of shitty platonic friends, people who would just always put me or others down for doing things differently, people I knew I couldn't share some things with unless I wanted to end our friendship right then and there. After high school I've had friends who feel the need to remind me that I'm a screw up all the time because they have college educations and good jobs and I don't. I've had friends who judge my relationship, my modelling, my sex life, who else I'm friends with....I've mostly cut all of them out by now. I can't be bothered with the drama.

A number of my ex's I would consider toxic. All of my teenage boyfriends were needy, damaged, manipulative, liars who couldn't communicate (though, neither could I)  One in particular has left some major wounds that I'm still dealing with in a regular basis. Actions and words said somehow still manage to hurt, and they would regardless of whether or not we still spoke. Things still make me question myself and my life choices, still make me kick myself for things I did or said (or didn't). There was a lot of manipulation, inability to communicate, him saying he wanted to know if something was wrong but if i told him he did something that hurt me, it somehow became that i was the badguy for saying he was horrible person, shit like that. I wouldn't date a pothead, we went through a series of breakups because several times over I was far less important to him than weed was. And then he lied about quitting, and I was again the bad guy for making him change. I learned to make promises to avoid him getting upset that I really meant "no", and then I didn't keep up my end of the deal and that would spawn fights. I was unable to get through arguments with him because I was just scared of speaking to him, I'd get choked up and couldn't physically speak, and he would get frustrated and yell, so I'd write it out and he would get frustrated for having to wait and wouldn't accept that as a form of communication, so we didn't communicate. We both held years of incidents against each other for that "yeah? Well remember when you....you asshole!" moments. It was a fucking train wreck of emotions for three years straight.

We worked through a lot together afterwards and while our relationship was horrible I don't view him as a horrible person, so we remain friends. The both of us have made some major changes to ourselves since our breakup to make ourselves better people, I dont regret having that relationship, I learned quite a lot and I'm glad for the way it opened my eyes to the shit I was doing wrong, and the shit I should avoid in the future.

Another ex was just toxic flat out. Too much drama, too little communication/honesty, imposed expectations I never agreed to and then I was a horrible person when I didn't adhere to something I didn't even know I was supposed to be doing in the first place, criticized my friendships and other relationships just because he didn't personally like those people, criticized my work/lack of schooling, criticized my sex lofe, generally just not supportive of who i was but also not trying to help or offer alternatives either. It was abundantly clear when I needed to cut those ties, and it hurt a little, but was much easier in the long run and I'm a lot happier now. The previous ex was extremely difficult to let go of, I felt that I needed him, but not this one. So, I'd learned something.

All relationships change you, for better or worse. I absolutely have scars. I have nasty memories. I have regrets. The things people said or did (or didn't) have played a part in shaping who I am and all that goes with that.

On the upside, they've taught me what to avoid in the future, what I do and don't want in my relationships, what I need to be happy from myself and from others around me. I'm extremely happy with my relationship now, and if it weren't for my past shitty relationships I might not be the right kind of person right now. I wasn't always very honest, I used to bottle things up when they bothered me, I feared open honest communication like it was some terrible monster that I couldn't possibly confront. I made promises i never intended to keep because it was easier than saying no. I was content with trying to be what other people wanted rather than what made me happy, I was content with being emotionally controlled, and with being codependent on someone else for my happiness. I felt like I would die if my boyfriends left me, I needed people in unhealthy ways.

I feel very different than that now. I finally took charge of what I wanted and who I wanted to be and quit my bad habits. I stopped seeing people with similar bad habits. I lost some friends in the process because they wanted to be more and I couldn't let myself get into that kind of relationship again, so I cut them out completely, and that sucked, but it sucked less than going through another several year bout of toxicness.

It sucks that it took me spending years of being so fucking broken to figure my shit out, it sucks that a lot of it still hurts, but I think I'm better for it. I have no idea how I would be if I hadn't had those people in my life

Sep 11 12 09:11 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kitty LaRose wrote:

I've only twice in my life had a boyfriend who's parents actually liked me. One is my current and one is an ex. All of my breakups were 100% my fault in my boyfriends parents eyes, I was a horrible child who hurt their poor babies and I was never good enough for them from the start. Mostly because I come from a single parent home. Despite the fact that almost all of my boyfriends parents were some form of abusive (all emotional, some also physical), MY mother was the bad parent by default of her being a single mom. Everything their children did wrong was my fault, I made them that way. My first boyfriends parents went on to call my mother and harass her, threaten all of us, and tell her what a shitty mother she was for raising me to be the little selfish manipulative heartless bitch that I am (I was 13, he lied to and cheated on me, I broke up with him and he of course threatened to kill himself (for the billionth time) and this one time I didn't take him back. I of course was the bad guy)

Almost none of my friends parents ever liked me either, for the same reasons. I was undisciplined (mostly because I didn't do anything really wrong like their kids did), my mother was never around (she was off providing for me, unlike them), my father left so obviously there was something wrong with us three. If they found out their kids were drinking or doing drugs or getting in other sorts of trouble, I was the one who put them up to it, I made them do it. I was every parents favorite scapegoat for their own shitty parenting, and they hated that their kids loved my mother more because she took care of us.

That was tons of fun.

Sep 11 12 09:52 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
That was tons of fun.

sad Sounds like it.

Sep 11 12 09:58 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Almost none of my friends parents ever liked me either, for the same reasons. I was undisciplined (mostly because I didn't do anything really wrong like their kids did), my mother was never around (she was off providing for me, unlike them), my father left so obviously there was something wrong with us three. If they found out their kids were drinking or doing drugs or getting in other sorts of trouble, I was the one who put them up to it, I made them do it. I was every parents favorite scapegoat for their own shitty parenting, and they hated that their kids loved my mother more because she took care of us.

That was tons of fun.

I was going to comment and say I'm sorry& after hearing all these kind of scared:/

But to this part- damn me too! Haha I couldn't see my BEST friend for 6months because I left a carnival early because i was dizzy&apparently that's a criminal act.

Sep 12 12 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:
This is the way I'd look at it psychologically but i'm trying very very hard not to do that. I'm literally trying to sort through something I just do not understand on a personal level but am beginning to.

Another way to look at a relationship is socially, rather than psychology. The societal norms for a person who was brought up in a certain society become deeply ingrained in the person. The typical example is the "personal space" in some cultures a person feels that another is standing too closely when they are within 18 inches, in other cultures 24 inches is too close. So one could think of it in terms of the people one was around as a child, their past behaviors and customs have a deeply ingrained influence on the adult. So outside of psychology, what one is "used to" comes from the examples of peers and family.

Preference in music is like this too, I suspect. Country music is no better or worse than heavy metal, but if one's peers listened exclusively to country, one tends to prefer it. It takes an effort of exploration to listen to heavy metal and come to a conclusion about how much one likes it. It seems so obvious that a preference is inherently better, but it takes effort to overcome those preferences and learn that it's not obvious after all.

Sep 12 12 05:33 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Light Writer wrote:

Another way to look at a relationship is socially, rather than psychology. The societal norms for a person who was brought up in a certain society become deeply ingrained in the person. The typical example is the "personal space" in some cultures a person feels that another is standing too closely when they are within 18 inches, in other cultures 24 inches is too close. So one could think of it in terms of the people one was around as a child, their past behaviors and customs have a deeply ingrained influence on the adult. So outside of psychology, what one is "used to" comes from the examples of peers and family.

Preference in music is like this too, I suspect. Country music is no better or worse than heavy metal, but if one's peers listened exclusively to country, one tends to prefer it. It takes an effort of exploration to listen to heavy metal and come to a conclusion about how much one likes it. It seems so obvious that a preference is inherently better, but it takes effort to overcome those preferences and learn that it's not obvious after all.

I've just studied so much psychology to understand the world that it's hard to look at things socially sometimes until I remind myself. It's kind of hilarious really.

But you're right. We are our environment and we're raised to think what we're taught is the right way and it's difficult to see outside of that sometimes.

Sep 12 12 08:18 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Thanks to you guys for your candid stories. I'm most impressed with the fact that you all have accepted this is a part of your past and a lot of you know you're still dealing with these things but you see progress.

My friend was in a toxic relationship to where she was criticized a lot, which I found to be red flag number one. She mentioned that when she brought up she was unhappy, hurt, or angry in general or if it's a concern with him, either way she found herself taking care of HIS unhappiness, hurt, or anger. She found herself comforting him instead of getting comforted. Even worse, she ended up feeling bad for him. Somehow he ended up deflecting and overracting making it all her fault. I vaguely remember seeing a glimpse of him doing it when I met him. I never liked him either.

She said she didnt feel safe or secure at all. I felt like she was being deprived of privacy, independence, and of any of her personal relationships with friends and family, including her and mine. She wasnt around as much and when she was, he was always over her shoulder. She simply started to give up trying to argue or disagree with him because  he got so angry or lost his temper. She truly felt he was trying to control her by intimidation. She started to feel scared to come to him because of all of those things. Mainly she felt drained, depleated, and exhausted ALL the time. She didnt feel she could focus on the other parts of her life because she felt like their relationship required THAT much effort. Eventually the physical abuse happened and there is a darker part of the story that she is still dealing with.

I realized I, myself, was in a relationship similar to that only it was nowhere near as bad. But it was still there. I really try not to talk about my personal life anymore (unless it is about Aidan, which I think raises awareness) but this is something I havent experienced before and am sorting through. The good thing is that I feel so much clarity now and I truly dont believe there are scars because I caught this early. I know I made a good decision and will learn from this and move on. Now, I feel self reflection and figuring out how I got myself into this situation. Think being single is on the agenda for a while so I can focus on my life and my Little Guy more. It feels good, really good.

Sep 12 12 08:26 am Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Light Writer wrote:

This is very insightful and dead on.

As for myself, I've had a lot of toxic relationships, but have always tried to escape them, although it tends to take an extreme situation for me to realize how toxic it really is. This is probably due to some things that happened to me at a very young age and I basically subconsciousnessly chose to re-live it and re-live it.

The stress from all of it caused so many health issues and some life threatening - stress kills. Toxic relationships can cause so much stress that it can kill you, literally. I'm still fighting to get well, healthwise. I didn't realize the extent of stress caused by toxic relationships til it almost cost me my life, at which time I terminated over 90% of my relationships. I went from being a social butterfly and being surrounded by " friends " to only having a couple of select friends. I just couldn't handle the stress anymore and wasn't willing to let them effect my health anymore.

I was also diagnosed with " Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. "

I went through a period probably in my teens and early twenties where toxic relationships effected me greatly on an emotional level and more recently it has effected me healthwise. I don't think they effect me anymore. I accept people for who they are and I accept it if someone does not have the qualities to benefit having a relationship with. I don't expect more from anyone then they're willing to give. If someone can only offer a toxic relationship then I accept that and stay away from them, rather then what I'd do before and hope for things to be better.

Sep 12 12 08:36 am Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

My relationship with my father has been unhealthy for most of my life. He is manipulative, with a history of emotional and semi-sexual abuse, leaving me with a mountain of emotional scars that I've been working on for many years.

But the more progress I've made with myself, the less toxic my relationships with other people have become, including the one with my father. I'm healthier and happier, so my relationships are too. That simple.

Sep 12 12 08:55 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

immateria wrote:
My relationship with my father has been unhealthy for most of my life. He is manipulative, with a history of emotional and semi-sexual abuse, leaving me with a mountain of emotional scars that I've been working on for many years.

But the more progress I've made with myself, the less toxic my relationships with other people have become, including the one with my father. I'm healthier and happier, so my relationships are too. That simple.

How did you make progress with yourself? Was it something active you had to tell yourself or?

Sep 12 12 09:14 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I don't think I ever had a healthy relationship until I met my current husband.

My mother and I had a very awkward, codependent, toxic relationship from the time I was pretty young- she leaned on me, and I tried to protect her and everyone else while I was falling apart spectacularly in secret.  I had a very dim view of men as a whole, and a general skepticism about life as a whole- coupled with the absolute certainty that it really was just me against everything and everyone not related by blood.  To this day, I have to make an effort to be around people- I don't like humanity in general and would rather live in a fairly isolated splendor, only interacting with the world on my own terms.

My first marriage was a disaster in so many, many ways.  My ex and I are civil and cordial now, but I hated him for probably half of our marriage.  I tried really hard not to drag my boys into the middle of it, and I think I succeeded.  My kids have a good relationship with both of us, and the fact that they are closer to/more comfortable with me can easily come from pretty much having no one but me for a long time.  Yes, it was a very toxic relationship to me.  In some ways, it probably was to him as well.

I know that at least one of my relationships since that first marriage started to implode was incredibly, violently toxic.  It turned me into a psychotic, angry, neurotic mess and I became an extremely toxic person in a lot of ways.  But at that point in my life, I felt like I deserved it.  Things kept escalating to a point where I couldn't even process what was happening, I could only react, usually in exactly the wrong way.  It was getting to a point where I was very close to being unhinged, I had bleeding ulcers and other health problems cropping up, and I was starting to become dangerous to myself and everyone around me.  It's the only time in my life I feel like I was not a good mother.  I was suicidal, homicidal, and too paralyzed by depression to act on either impulse.  There did come a breaking point, finally, and I honestly think that if it hadn't been a direct threat to my children, I would have let it slide and stayed.  The only thing that finally got me out was that threat, and a therapist looking at me and saying "If you don't get out now, you're going to kill someone, and it probably won't be yourself."  I was gone 10 days later.

But the bad taught me how to look for the good.  There is always some backsliding and detouring, but when I started dating C, things just worked, for the first time ever.  We're opposites in a lot of ways, but we're alike enough in the fundamental ways for it to work.  Best of all, I've learned how to be a partner, and how to speak up before a small problem becomes a large problem.  It's something I have to work on for the rest of our lives.  I may not get it right, but I'm willing to try.

Sep 12 12 09:36 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a toxic relationship with my biological father. When I was younger I remember going down to the basement and saw him beating my mom. They ended up getting divorced when I was around 4 or 5.
After that he tried to be a good father. I have some good memories from when I was younger. Although there's a lot more bad ones. He was always very cheap, never wanted to buy me or my sister anything, not even a pack of gum at the checkout. He would hit my sister when she misbehaved and made her sit outside in a chair on night in late october/early november when she was only wearing her pj's.

He shit talked my mom a lot. Just saying how she was poisoning our minds against him. Then he started dating his girlfriend (now wife) and I didn't really like her from the beginning. Way too fucking bossy and would join in on the shit talking about my mom. In front of me and my sister. My dad used to keep a journal on the computer and the one night he grounded me and my sister and sent us to our room. His computer that he kept the journal on was in there. Me and my sister read through all of it. He talked shit about my dead grandpa, talked shit about my grandma, talked more shit about my mom. And then he even shit talked me and my sister. He said that we were two of the most selfish and spoiled little brats that he'd ever knew.

The next morning I told him that we had read when he wrote about us, which ended up in a big argument and him driving us to our grandma's house and us not talking for 3 years. My sister cut off ties completely after that. I still tried to have a relationship with him.

I don't remember everything he's ever done to make me hate him so much, but I remember bits and pieces. I remember after we started to talk again that I needed help buying a new car because I didn't have the money for one and my old car had died. He offered to help me and gave me some money for it.

Later on when he and my mom were in court fighting over something (I don't remember what) he tried to claim that he loaned me that money and that it wasn't a gift. I needed to pay him back.

He wasn't going to invite me to his own wedding. He only invited me because I found out about it through some other family members. I asked him about it and he admitted that the only reason he invited me was because of that, he didn't have any intention of sending me an invite. Needless to say I didn't end up going.

I also don't remember what exactly he did or what it was about, but we were fighting in an email and he sent his reply back to me, and then forwarded it to my ex and a couple of my friends. Just to try and drag them into our family drama.

The one thing (and most recent) was what happened back in court. He took some of my modeling pictures (non-nude) off of my facebook and when into the court and tried to show them to the judge and tell her that I was working as an escort. (The case was totally unrelated. It was for his half of my university he was supposed to pay and didn't and also for not paying the full amount of his child support). After I found out he did that I sent him a huge long email telling him that  I wanted nothing to do with him. Ever. As far was I'm concerned he was dead to me.

He kept trying to contact me after that. Saying that my mom was lying about what she was telling me (it was actually her lawyer that called me and told me that) and kept emailing me and writing me letters. I used to reply to them with something along the lines of 'fuck off, I don't want to talk to you.' Until I just stopped reading them all together and blocked him from emailing me and also blocked him and deleted all of that side of my family off of facebook.

The most recent thing that had happened was that a plain envelope was mailed to my parents with some of my nude pictures inside. (They didn't know that I modeled nude). It didn't have a return address on it. I don't know who actually sent it, but I'm 99.99% positive that it was my biological father. I just can't think of anyone else who would do that.

Plus he's been known to stalk whatever I do online (and in person. Apparently when I used to sell shots at a strip club, he found out and came down there one night and saw me working. I never saw him, didn't even know he was there. If that isn't fucking creepy then I don't know what is.), no matter how careful I am about covering up what I do. I knew that my parents would find out eventually and they were cool with it, which was a bonus. I know he just did it to try and start more drama. I swear he lives off of it.

Pile on top of all that bullshit with my real father that both me and my sister were raped by my mother's second husband, and all of the drama that came along with that. Going into foster care, watching my sister try to overdose on pills, having my mom take his side for the longest time and telling the police that we were both lying. (I found out later that he was threatening her and saying that he was going to kill her if she left him. He also threatened to kill my grandma if she left him).

I know I'm pretty messed up because of all that shit.
Which makes it so much more apparent to me now why I am the way I am (especially in my love life). I was very guarded and jaded about everything. I didn't let a lot of people into my life and I actually preferred meeting and talking to people online then going out and hanging out with my friends. I'd rather watch tv alone in my bedroom then go out. I'd make up excuses not to go out with my friends when they invited me.

The abuse would probably also explain why I was a huge and total slut for 2 1/2 years after I turned 19.

However when I'm in a relationship I've always been very needy and very insecure. Not about the actual relationship itself, but just with me. I don't think I'm good enough, I think that they are going to go and find someone else better than me and then they're going to leave me. That I'm worthless and who could ever love me?

I always thought that I couldn't live without my boyfriends.

I've been slowly trying to come to terms with everything and deal with my insecurities. I'm lucky to have found a guy that's willing to deal with all of my bullshit. I still sometimes have issues with self esteem. This past weekend we went up to my friends cottage, I drank too much and ended up crying and telling him that I didn't want him to move to Toronto because I was scared that he was going to find someone else and leave me. (I didn't want him to move because we're on opposite work schedules and I'd never see him. I didn't even know that I was worried about him leaving me. That never even occurred to me.)

He told me to stop crying and that I was being silly. He wasn't going to go anywhere. He signed up for a hockey league in Hamilton for the specific reason that he would have to come here every week, so, at the very least, we can see each other once a week.

(Holy long post batman. Sorry about that. Didn't realize I typed so much).

Sep 12 12 10:07 am Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

How did you make progress with yourself? Was it something active you had to tell yourself or?

Oh, goodness. That's a loaded question. The underlying idea is that I started to take responsibility for my own happiness and well-being. I had an unhappy childhood that left a lot of damage. I blame that almost solely on my father, but placing that blame doesn't fix me. I can only do that on my own. And I still have a lot of work to do.

I used to have terrible depression, severe social anxiety, frequent panic attacks, and I was constantly getting sick. I was a complete mess. I sabotaged myself financially and scholastically. I'm a naturally nurturing and caring person, and those characteristics were warped into me being self-sacrificing. The unhealthy relationships I've had have mostly been based on my inability to stand up for myself and my eagerness to ignore people's obvious flaws and deficiencies. I kept trying to find the good things in them that either weren't there or they had no interest in cultivating in themselves.

As a teenager with depression, I was in therapy and on anti-depressants for a very short time. They didn't suit me. So I started to ask myself questions, to root out the causes of my unhappiness. I developed menial routines to help me take breaks from the constant doom and gloom. I had a turning point when I was 21 and finished my yoga training, because learning about yoga and Ayurveda helped solidify the vague, but true ideas I had about health into sustainable ideas and practices.

What it comes down to is that happiness is a choice. I'm not saying the depression and other mental illnesses aren't physical ailments that should be dealt with accordingly, but the underlying idea is that whatever treatment you get you have to work for beginning with the conscious decision to work towards happiness. And it is work. Long, painful, heartbreaking work. Even if you don't believe it's possible, you have to convince yourself it is.

I operate under the idea that there is no mental and physical health. There's just health. You can't work on one and neglect the other. Neither may be perfect, and one aspect might be better than the other, but both need to be improved.

I believe in the power of positive thinking. Think good things, have good things. It's not mysticism if you don't want it to be. Learning to look on the bright side does two things:

1. Learning to think positively opens your mind to positive outcomes. By constantly thinking and expecting the worst, we close our minds off to positive outcomes, making them harder to come by.

2. Positive thinking helps you deal with the negative things that come your way with better grace. Somethings will stop seeming negative, but the things that are truly bad will be easier to bear. It opens your mind into finding learning experiences and growing opportunities.

The way that personally think of it is that the energy that you send out into the world returns to you. So if you send out good vibes, you get good things. In terms of relationships, it's pretty simple: Misery really loves company. Unhappy people draw unhappy people to them. I've seen it in myself and so many people around me. Frankly, happy people don't want to surround themselves with friends that bring them down.

I do yoga. The physical practice helps keep me strong and healthy (I personally have persistent functional back problems I constantly have to monitor). It also help me to cultivate peace and patience within myself. The philosophies that I've learned from yoga help me love myself and to cultivate the positive qualities I know I possess but often keep hidden underneath layers of perceived neuroses.

Over the years, I've grown stronger, healthier and happier as a person. I'm still learning how to really take care of my needs, but at the very least, I've learned how not to become mired in toxic, ungiving and unhealthy relationships.

My relationship with my father is slowly improving, because I finally took a stand and flat out told my parents that either my dad can admit there is a problem and agree to work on it, with my help, or they will lose me. I can deal with his shit, but I will not involve any one else in it.

My current romantic relationship is just the kind of relationship that I want to be in. We are both imperfect, but we both put in the effort to improve ourselves so that we grow together, instead of growing apart.

Sep 12 12 11:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I am a big believer in self responsibility... so for me if you know that you are in a toxic relationship... you are choosing it.

I'm not placing it as blame or judgment, but as a matter of choice. You are choosing all the bad and concequences...

So there are times I have been in a toxic relationship... toxic for both of us... usually it is because we forget that happiness is not something that happens to you or that someone gives you... it is a gift you give yourself.

I have been in a toxic relationship out of self and partner deception... often it is where I am lying to myself about what I want and then I blame then for not giving me what I want.

So damaged from it? no... not in the sense that the toxic relationship did anything to me... I did it to myself. There is often residule trauma from being in something like a toxic relationship, but that trauma is often somatic and need only be cleared somatically. The thought or thinking part is all about behavior and modifying my behavior.

Maybe you wanted juicy stories or something like that... and yes I have put myself in many stupid situations... but nothing that a little commitment checking and action taking won't cure.

Sep 12 12 11:30 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

immateria wrote:

Oh, goodness. That's a loaded question. The underlying idea is that I started to take responsibility for my own happiness and well-being. I had an unhappy childhood that left a lot of damage. I blame that almost solely on my father, but placing that blame doesn't fix me. I can only do that on my own. And I still have a lot of work to do.

I used to have terrible depression, severe social anxiety, frequent panic attacks, and I was constantly getting sick. I was a complete mess. I sabotaged myself financially and scholastically. I'm a naturally nurturing and caring person, and those characteristics were warped into me being self-sacrificing. The unhealthy relationships I've had have mostly been based on my inability to stand up for myself and my eagerness to ignore people's obvious flaws and deficiencies. I kept trying to find the good things in them that either weren't there or they had no interest in cultivating in themselves.

As a teenager with depression, I was in therapy and on anti-depressants for a very short time. They didn't suit me. So I started to ask myself questions, to root out the causes of my unhappiness. I developed menial routines to help me take breaks from the constant doom and gloom. I had a turning point when I was 21 and finished my yoga training, because learning about yoga and Ayurveda helped solidify the vague, but true ideas I had about health into sustainable ideas and practices.

What it comes down to is that happiness is a choice. I'm not saying the depression and other mental illnesses aren't physical ailments that should be dealt with accordingly, but the underlying idea is that whatever treatment you get you have to work for beginning with the conscious decision to work towards happiness. And it is work. Long, painful, heartbreaking work. Even if you don't believe it's possible, you have to convince yourself it is.

I operate under the idea that there is no mental and physical health. There's just health. You can't work on one and neglect the other. Neither may be perfect, and one aspect might be better than the other, but both need to be improved.

I believe in the power of positive thinking. Think good things, have good things. It's not mysticism if you don't want it to be. Learning to look on the bright side does two things:

1. Learning to think positively opens your mind to positive outcomes. By constantly thinking and expecting the worst, we close our minds off to positive outcomes, making them harder to come by.

2. Positive thinking helps you deal with the negative things that come your way with better grace. Somethings will stop seeming negative, but the things that are truly bad will be easier to bear. It opens your mind into finding learning experiences and growing opportunities.

The way that personally think of it is that the energy that you send out into the world returns to you. So if you send out good vibes, you get good things. In terms of relationships, it's pretty simple: Misery really loves company. Unhappy people draw unhappy people to them. I've seen it in myself and so many people around me. Frankly, happy people don't want to surround themselves with friends that bring them down.

I do yoga. The physical practice helps keep me strong and healthy (I personally have persistent functional back problems I constantly have to monitor). It also help me to cultivate peace and patience within myself. The philosophies that I've learned from yoga help me love myself and to cultivate the positive qualities I know I possess but often keep hidden underneath layers of perceived neuroses.

Over the years, I've grown stronger, healthier and happier as a person. I'm still learning how to really take care of my needs, but at the very least, I've learned how not to become mired in toxic, ungiving and unhealthy relationships.

My relationship with my father is slowly improving, because I finally took a stand and flat out told my parents that either my dad can admit there is a problem and agree to work on it, with my help, or they will lose me. I can deal with his shit, but I will not involve any one else in it.

My current romantic relationship is just the kind of relationship that I want to be in. We are both imperfect, but we both put in the effort to improve ourselves so that we grow together, instead of growing apart.

That was very well thought out and well written. Thank you.

I agree with everything you're saying. I think what I need to do is make a list of goals and pursue them. I dont know where to begin but I have a foot and I am good at kicking my own ass to motivate myself. I think a good start is exactly what you're saying which is health. I want to start walking/running again and maybe having a little exercise routine. A dear friend of mine suggested the same thing, actually two of them did. I think it's a fabulous idea.

I've ALWAYS been a positive thinker and completely agree with your comments on it. Happiness absolutely is a choice and always has been for me.

Maybe i'll start with making a carrot cake... big_smile

Sep 12 12 11:44 am Link