Forums > General Industry > PSA: Photoshopper's Anonymous.

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Hi, my name is Bill.

*Hi, Bill!*

I got into photoshop about the same time I picked up my first camera.  Growing up with stories and books and a head full of fantasy I always loved the way illustrators and graphic artists would invent impossible images that swept me into the stories they were depicting.  As I grew older I got hooked on the works of great composite artists (without even knowing who they were) - people who'd take multiple images and blend them into creations of emotion and beauty that went beyond their component parts.

I didn't know I was defiling the world of photography with my peurile interests.  All I knew was I wanted to collect images and use them to paint ideas an emotions that went beyond the context of my ordinary days and were invented solely from my miniscule brain.

I meant no harm.

I didn't know I was growing addicted to a crutch.. A gateway drug..

I meant no disrespect.

But... It's like pie..  Once you start.....

*sits down*

Next?

Oct 26 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I used to shoot roll film. It was cheap back then and just about everyone who was serious about photography was shooting roll.

I started experimenting with double exposures. First weddings then portraits. I knew it wasn't natural but everybody else was doing it and I just wanted to be cool.

I won't go in to great detail because it's just too painful but when digital cameras came out in SLR I bought a digital camera and put my film cameras to back up, again, because everyone was doing it and saying I'd save tons of money over film and processing. I know now that it wasn't right but I just didn't see where it was leading me.

When Photoshop came out everybody was saying how much you could do with it and I was so tempted; thankfully for me at that time it was so expensive that I couldn't afford it; until one day someone handed me a pirated copy with key code. I just let it sit there on the desk for several days, and then I kept looking at it until I finally reasoned " It won't hurt to download it just to see what everyone's talking about. I can always delete it right away and no one will ever know."

Well, you can look at my work now and see what happened.

Yes, I'm an addict.

*takes seat*

*bows head in shame*.

Oct 26 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Do we get coffee and cake at these meetings?  Because if not, I'm totally not admitting I have a problem.

Oct 26 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Hi, my name's Jodie and I'm a Photoshop user.

I'm just here to listen tonight. I'll pass and share my story later.

Oct 26 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

StarlaMeris wrote:
Do we get coffee and cake at these meetings?  Because if not, I'm totally not admitting I have a problem.

Yeah, over by the window; just leave some change in the jar.

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

StarlaMeris wrote:

We were shooting for punch and pie, but...

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

The sad thing is that we're in the room right next to the Dektol junkies.

Oct 26 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Bohemian

Marion, North Carolina, US

Also guilty. And I am sadly lacking in self control of any sort. I use it everyday. Sometimes several times a day. I get irritated with my family if they bother me while I'm using it. I find myself sneaking in an hour here or an hour there before bed & early in the morning. I think about it & what I could be doing with it while I'm driving or out with friends. I am what they call a 'functional addict'. But it feels great to admit the truth to you good people. smile

Oct 26 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

MMDesign wrote:
The sad thing is that we're in the room right next to the Dektol junkies.

Damn am I in the wrong room yet again?

Oct 26 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

We admitted we were powerless over digital cameras and Photoshop - that our lives had become unmanageable.

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to create better images.

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Photoshop as we understood it.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our images.

Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Were entirely ready to have Photoshop remove all these defects of our images.

Humbly asked PS to remove our shortcomings.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Continued to take personal inventory of our images and when we were wrong promptly fixed it Photoshop.

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Photoshop as we understood it, praying only for knowledge of it's skill for us and the power to carry that out.

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other photographers and to practice these principles in all our work.

Newcomers are not asked to accept or follow these Twelve Steps in their entirety if they feel unwilling or unable to do so.

Oct 26 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

oldguysrule wrote:

*locks the door*

I'm sorry, OGR, but...  *sharpening of axes*

What goes on in PSA....*unsheathing of knives*

STAYS in PSA...*baking of cookies*

Oct 26 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

oldguysrule wrote:

Nah, I think you're swiping coffee from both groups.

Oct 26 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Photography is the gateway drug to PhotoShop . . . or is it vice versa?

Oct 26 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

is there room for one more?...where do I sit? ohh well, I will just stand here in the corner...

My fake name is Juancho...I am adicted as well..

before I actually picked up a camera I was scanning other's negatives and photoshoping them...then I thought, I can do this muself, that was right after digital was starting to gain control...so I plunge and got my first digital (3.2 MP Nikon) then I droped it (died) so I got me a film body, but it was not the same as now I had to scan and such again if I wanted to photoshop and post on websites...so after a year or so I converted back to Digital..Now on the Canon pro line...so I am happily back to photoshoping clean digital images, removing those buggers and pimples from models faces, giving them almost perfect skinn, changing their skin colors to proof that females are from out of space...and so on Life has begun! Limitless imaginations and posibilities..just not enough time...

ok *goes back to his corner with some cuban coffee*

Oct 26 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Sigh........."Trying to hide PScs2 tatoo on bicep"    Nods head "sweat pouring down Brow"   Screams out  "I'M guilty, Throw the book (condensed version) at me.......

Oct 26 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

this reminds me of that curb your enthusiasm episode.  when larry was in the incest support group....and lied about being molested to fit in.

freaking classic.

i heart photoshop.

Oct 26 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Rossi Photography wrote:
Hi, my name's Jodie and I'm a Photoshop user.

I'm just here to listen tonight. I'll pass and share my story later.

Hi, My Name dosent matter.. I am just here to oogle Jodie and wink at her...

and listen to you all confess your sins of PS.

Oct 26 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Craig Seay Artistry wrote:
Yeah, over by the window; just leave some change in the jar.

Sweet! I'm in!

My name is Stephanie and I've been on the 'Shop for the last 5 years.  A friend of mine offered it to me one day when I was 16 and I thought "What's the harm?"  Now I use almost every day.  Sometimes for 8-10 hours straight.  I'm not sure I'm ready to quit though.

In fact--and I'm very ashamed to admit this, but I feel I can trust this group--I have an instance open right now.  I need help!

Oct 26 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My names Kevin,

I found the 12 step program quite helpful, though I kept falling off the wagon. Over and over again, it was getting monotonous. So I wrote an action script. smile

Oct 26 06 10:16 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

hi..Koray is the name.

it all started to make graphics for websites maybe 10 years ago.

and it will continue as long as I can.

freedom.

wink

Oct 26 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Shouldn’t this group (topic) be for the addicts that don’t know when to stop?
The first step to recovery is admitting they have a problem.

I use Potatoshop to crop, adjust contrast blend with some curves and ad a copyright mark. Does that qualify?

Oct 27 06 12:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Craig Thomson wrote:
Shouldn’t this group (topic) be for the addicts that don’t know when to stop?
The first step to recovery is admitting they have a problem.

I use Potatoshop to crop, adjust contrast blend with some curves and ad a copyright mark. Does that qualify?

no..that means you have no idea...

Oct 27 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Are all the non-believers out yet?  Can we start talking about our takeover plans?

Oct 27 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

They're gone. Can we call it the Clone Wars smile

Oct 27 06 12:12 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Are all the non-believers out yet?  Can we start talking about our takeover plans?

we took over already..they just dont know.

Oct 27 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I can see the film in your pictures..

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough*

ha.

Oct 27 06 12:21 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

*cough*

Oct 27 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Maynard Southern

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Yeah, same here. It's just a darkroom in box, right?

Oct 27 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Maynard's here.. Now it's a party..  Someone go steal the keg from the AA meeting next door and turn up the music!

*shakes his groove thing*

Oh shit..

Ok, has anybody seen my groove thing?  I know I had it when I left for the meeting!

Oct 27 06 12:34 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I have a bad feeling that we are getting as ridicilous as the darkroom believers...should we get into that 'we're cool you are not' thing or should we let it go...?

Oct 27 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I don't want to do I'm cool and you're not..

I like film.. I just don't like attitude..

Now if I could take you all into a dark room and force you to teach me your secrets..

And then if I could force myself to remember them for more than 30 seconds..

Oct 27 06 12:40 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

you can fix that 30 secs in PS...but dont tell anyone

Oct 27 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Maynard Southern wrote:

Yeah, same here. It's just a darkroom in box, right?

I think so. I try to shoot what I want in camera, then tweak the image to suit. Not build a new image post edit. That gives me the chills.

Oct 27 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello, my name is Dan and I haven't touched PhotoShop in 3 days...
By the Grace of Adobe, I'm hoping to make it a whole week, but I am weak...

Oct 27 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hi my name is Kevin,
I've been doing 'shop since it hit the streets. I'm now a full blown addict, I just spent 10hrs in a deep 'shop today, I'm starting to come down, but I still got a little left. I'm starting to get night sweats and the shakes if I don't get a quick daily fix of 'shop, then again after a full day of 'shopping, my eyes twitch anyways.

Anyone wanna sponsor my road to recovery?

*goes and curls into a ball under the coffee table, rocking back and forth*

Oct 27 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

See, the problem all addicts have is they don’t see the damage their doing to all the people around them.

I feel ill when I look at an image that has 25 layers and 307 commands performed on it to make the “finished” product.
Who’s there to hold me and tell me all is well?

Denial my ass, I say intervention it’s time.

Oct 27 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I just wish I was the truly talented guy who can say, "No photoshop here; I'm the real deal and can do it all in the camera."

I'm such a poser! sad

*pounds fist against forehead, then looks away and tries to wipe tears before anyone notices*

Oct 27 06 01:06 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Craig Thomson wrote:
See, the problem all addicts have is they don’t see the damage their doing to all the people around them.

I feel ill when I look at an image that has 25 layers and 307 commands performed on it to make the “finished” product.
Who’s there to hold me and tell me all is well?

Denial my ass, I say intervention it’s time.

see the problem is that one cant see whats beyond all thats visible...you have a mind half open and still taking pictures..cheesy but still nice pictures.

this thread will make me infamous...

Oct 27 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

If there's a useful outcome to be had from a room full of photoshoppers I'm open to it..  There's always roundtables on ideas and techniques.. But it's presuming a lot to ask, so I'm not..

We could turn it into a photoshop pic a day thread..

We could create challenges..

Nah.. I'd lose all those..

Oct 27 06 01:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

W.G. Rowland wrote:
If there's a useful outcome to be had from a room full of photoshoppers I'm open to it..  There's always roundtables on ideas and techniques.. But it's presuming a lot to ask, so I'm not..

We could turn it into a photoshop pic a day thread..

We could create challenges..

Nah.. I'd lose all those..

I still couldnt figure out what neon glow is for tongue

Oct 27 06 01:18 am Link