Forums > General Industry > Models are officially never allowed to flake again

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

absolutely amazing picture, and knowing what all you had to go through to make it happen just ratchets up the Awesome Factor even more.
you're exceptional, my friend.

Oct 23 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

CLT wrote:
You westcoastners got your share of msues, dare I start naming them?

What about visitation rights?? Can we do every other weekend and split hollidays? They're not just YOUR models! tongue

Oct 23 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

Wow , you need NEW friends ... lol Responsible ones .. and a car smile

Oct 23 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Well it's about time...now you have to come shoot me tongue

I was planning it anyway...just a matter of negotiating the geography, cher.

Oct 23 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

jon mmmayhem wrote:
absolutely amazing picture, and knowing what all you had to go through to make it happen just ratchets up the Awesome Factor even more.
you're exceptional, my friend.

smile You would've done the same...although...I think your photo probably would've looked a little different...lol

Melany Wells wrote:
Wow , you need NEW friends ... lol Responsible ones .. and a car

Tell me about it...lol. What's rediculous is that I do have a car...but since I can't drive it, it's just sitting in the driveway at my mom's house.

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I know...I just can't wait! Haven't you ever seen a kid at Christmas? Well...that's me...only I'm 19...and this is a photoshoot with a fetish photographer...lol

Oct 23 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
I know...I just can't wait! Haven't you ever seen a kid at Christmas? Well...that's me...only I'm 19...and this is a photoshoot with a fetish photographer...lol

You flatter me.  To be honest, I've been really lucky the last year or two -- i don't have very many "dream shoots" left to look forward to...But you reside comfortably at the top of a very short list.

Soon, Mi Corazon, very soon...

Oct 23 06 03:44 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

You flatter me.  To be honest, I've been really lucky the last year or two -- i don't have very many "dream shoots" left to look forward to...But you reside comfortably at the top of a very short list.

Soon, Mi Corazon, very soon...

*blush*

Oct 23 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I also would like to add that I would use this model in a instant.  She is one of
those rare dependable models.  There are lots of attractive models on MM but
she's not only a beauty but she is reliable.

Oct 23 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kudos to you, Kaitlin, for following through.

Despite your hectic day, a model cancelled on me yesterday because she felt she needed to lose some weight (1. she didn't need to lose weight because I just shot with her 2 weeks earlier and she was fine, 2. the shot wouldn't show off anythign even if she did need to lose weight).

2 ends of the spectrum.

Oct 23 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Didnt think we were ever allowed.

Oct 23 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I award you the highest honors. Wish you were here.

My no-show this weekend "didn't feel like it" 2 hrs before the shoot.

Dammit.

If I had a medal, I'd send you one. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Let's clone her.

Oct 23 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Palo Alto, California, US

I applaud you Kaitlin, and definately think is was worth it..............................."By every kind of toil there comes to be advantage" ~proverbs

Oct 23 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

MFH wrote:
I applaud you Kaitlin, and definately think is was worth it..............................."By every kind of toil there comes to be advantage" ~proverbs

I would add more but she's da bomb.  By the way everyone check out MFH
he was some great work.

Oct 23 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

I agree..........Thank you Tony!...........Likewise.

Oct 23 06 04:54 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I also would like to add that I would use this model in a instant.  She is one of
those rare dependable models.  There are lots of attractive models on MM but
she's not only a beauty but she is reliable.

*blush* Thanks Tony smile

Oct 23 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
So yesterday I had a shoot. Here's how it went:

-Got an email from a photographer I've worked with before, and after weeks of being terribly busy with school, I finally found time to schedule a shoot.
-Found a ride (I don't have my license yet because I'm absurdly lazy about that sort of thing), nailed down the date of the shoot, and was working on figuring out a time
-Called my ride the night before the shoot (the whole planning thing was fairly last minute, and fairly casual, so this wasn't a problem with the photographer, otherwise I would never have allowed so much time to pass), and he didn't pick up. Told the photographer I'd let him know as soon as I could when I could be there.
-Called my ride twice more and left a text message and voicemail saying I NEEDED to know when we could get to the shoot. The photographer didn't care when we started, but I really didn't want to leave it til the last minute like that.
-Finally went to sleep with a splitting headache, and got up at 9 AM, marched over to my ride's apartment, woke up his friend by banging on the window, was let it, walked into his room, jumped on his bed, waking him up, and said "I really need to know when we can go to this shoot" He rolls over and asks his roommate when we can borrow his car. He hadn't even asked until that moment. The roommate says "Anytime, but can you drive stick?"
-After nearly killing my ride for not asking about the car earlier (it turns out that no, he doesn't drive stick), I have to walk over to a friend's apartment because his phone is broken, and ask if we can borrow his car.
-Said friend has work in a half hour and needs his car, but his roommate has a car, so we ask her. Her car has been acting up, and she doesn't want it to break down while someone else is driving it.
-After having to sit through the two roommates talk about something completely irrelevant for 10 minutes, the decide that she'll drive him to work and bring the car back so I can borrow it while he's at work.
-I tell the photographer and my ride that we're leaving at noon, and should be there by 2.
-I end up driving half the way anyway because my ride is too exhausted from an evening of drinking the night before. (Luckily with my permit, I can drive as long as there's a licensed driver in the car with me)
-We get there finally, I apologize profusely for letting him know so late (he of course, doesn't care anyway...lol), and then proceed to do a nude shoot with all these crazy, uncomfortable poses, on a scratchy, cold stone bench...while on my period. And no...I'm not one of the lucky few who doesn't get excruciatingly painful cramps.

Models...you're just never allowed to flake again...lol...it's that simple.

(btw, if you want to see a photo from the shoot, you can see one here: http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/n … /KL001.jpg He only postworked one so far)

I've never worked with her and who knows if I ever will get the chance to, but, after hearing that story, I nominate Kaitlin Lara  "Model of The Year 2006" for effort and dedication.  wink

Oct 23 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I may have a good chance to work with her, i'm in NJ, one state over...

heheheheee

Oct 23 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Sorry,I don't find this that amusing.Yes you did make it to the shoot,no you didn't flake,but only by dumb stupid luck.It could have gone the other way just as easily.You admit you don't have your driving lic because your a little lazy?You called your ride the night before the shoot?. Your ride doesn't have a car?I have a feeling this type of thing happens to you alot
  The point I am trying to make is,if you are serious about modeling get your act together,weather you don't show because you are callous and inconsiderate of the other party or disorginazed and things keep going wrong,your still not there!

Oct 23 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Soma Stardust wrote:
my utuerus always feels like it's trying to murder me.

Oct 23 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
I have a feeling this type of thing happens to you alot

based on what?
where are you getting this nonsense?

Oct 23 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

You forgot the part "This One Time at Band Camp" big_smile

Oct 23 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

David Scott wrote:
I've never worked with her and who knows if I ever will get the chance to, but, after hearing that story, I nominate Kaitlin Lara  "Model of The Year 2006" for effort and dedication.  wink

Thanks big_smile I feel so loved! Or at least I did...til this:

Sorry,I don't find this that amusing.Yes you did make it to the shoot,no you didn't flake,but only by dumb stupid luck.It could have gone the other way just as easily.You admit you don't have your driving lic because your a little lazy?You called your ride the night before the shoot?. Your ride doesn't have a car?I have a feeling this type of thing happens to you alot
  The point I am trying to make is,if you are serious about modeling get your act together,weather you don't show because you are callous and inconsiderate of the other party or disorginazed and things keep going wrong,your still not there!

I was just waiting for someone to find something negative about this. First of all, it isn't meant to be amusing. It's meant to point out that whatever gets in your way, unless it's really serious (I'm talking family member in the hospital, vomiting blood, horrible maiming by a pittbull the night before a shoot, etc.), you should go to whatever pains necessary to be certain you get to your shoot.

It's not just dumb luck. Yes, I got lucky that Natalie was willing to drive Paul to work, but I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that I tried extremely hard to make it to the shoot, and I doubt anyone would argue that my situation was a lucky one. I was having bad luck all day. I fought against it, and if something more had gotten in my way, I would've exhausted every single possibility before cancelling.

I called my ride the night before the shoot because the photographer informed me of when he would be available the night before the shoot. As I said, it was last minute, and the planning was very casual. This kind of thing has actually never happened to me before because usually I do not rely on others to get me to my shoots. I take public transportation 95% of the time because although it takes twice as long, it is much more reliable. This shoot was in the middle of nowhere. There are no busses to Hicksville.

You can say what you will about me, but the fact remains...I have never flaked on you, or anyone else. And I go to whatever lengths I can to keep it that way. I am not disorganized. The planning of this shoot was. The photographer didn't care. Why do you? If I were shooting with you, I'm sure I would've gotten notice of when you were available much earlier, and therefore would've been able to coordinate my plans much better. I don't know why you're insisting on giving this story a negative spin.

Oct 23 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

don't even listen to that.

Oct 23 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Soma Stardust wrote:
the only times i've missed a shoot are because my ride flaked.
i don't let him give me rides anymore. i take public transit. and i'm planning on learning to drive, but being that all my friends are flakes, no one will teach me. haha.

~soma~

I'll teach you.

But not in MY car.

Oct 23 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Chan Photography

New York, New York, US

looked like it was all worth it, congrats.

Oct 23 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

J Schumacher wrote:

don't even listen to that.

I hate crap like that...lol...some people just need to find the worst in everything.

Oct 23 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

David Scott wrote:
[

Hear! Hear!

Oct 23 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Let me say, I have not been a member here as long as many. However I have read many posts complaining about no shows. In fact I have had my share of them. Also there is a fair share of bashing (thats just life). I however consider Kaitlin's experience was full of effort no matter what it took to make it to this shoot. She could have called it off an any point which many of us would have done. I am also sure there are many model's out there that have similar positive stories and efforts. But there are some individuals that keep their word with as much integrity as they can and Kaitlin in my opinion is a shining example of this.......Photographers can also be no shows. I think her story is a positive one and came at the right time to encourage persons such as my self........Thank you for your experience Kaitlin.

Oct 23 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I even offer to pick models up if needed and i get flaked on all the time.
I should send this to every flake i ever got

Go Girl
I would have just picked you up

Oct 23 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
And move to the midwest. big_smile

Hmmm...I thought this was a thread about a new kind of dandruff shampoo!  LOL

Oct 23 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

I can't believe you're criticizing a model for doing everything within her power to get to a shoot.  No wonder they think we photogrpahers are all unreasonable.  Thanks for contributing to that stereotype.

Oct 23 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Yang

New York, New York, US

gorgeous result kaitlin, gorgeous. i think that's almost worth any trouble.

Oct 24 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

If only half the models were half as gracious as you, it would be a much better world. Kudos to you and the photographer, nice work.

Oct 24 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

you are awesome!

Oct 24 06 12:21 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MFH wrote:

Let me say, I have not been a member here as long as many. However I have read many posts complaining about no shows. In fact I have had my share of them. Also there is a fair share of bashing (thats just life). I however consider Kaitlin's experience was full of effort no matter what it took to make it to this shoot. She could have called it off an any point which many of us would have done. I am also sure there are many model's out there that have similar positive stories and efforts. But there are some individuals that keep their word with as much integrity as they can and Kaitlin in my opinion is a shining example of this.......Photographers can also be no shows. I think her story is a positive one and came at the right time to encourage persons such as my self........Thank you for your experience Kaitlin.

And thank you for defending me smile

Oct 24 06 06:12 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MFH wrote:

And thank you for defending me smile

Oct 24 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

I was gone for a few days and would have answered this thread earlier if I could,sorry

I realize everyone is singing your praises(which I don't disagree with ) and I guess I am coming off as  the bad guy and I am going to be slammed for it., ,.I was just pointing out the obvious,in exactly a situation such as this that a few minutes forethought can save hours of fustration,hassle and ultimatly the photo shoot..You said " you found a ride".Actualy,you didn't find a ride,you didn't even have a promise of a ride,just a maybe!.Your "friend" doesn't own a car and cann't commit to something he doesn't have.You don't have a ride until the owner of the car is contacted and agrees to let you use it on such and such a date/time and you are made aware of it,...then you have a ride!.That should have been a huge red flag right there that something may go wrong(as it did) and you best double check your "driver/friends" part out before committing to a shoot date/time.If he had forgotten to ask for the car (as it sounds like he did),you would have reminded him to do so and get back to you with the confirmation.At that point you would find out then he didn't drive stick and still had time to make other plans. But it sounds like you waited till the night before the shoot to contact him to check it out,even if you got hold of him you still may not have the car for any number of reasons.At that point maybe the best thing would be to reschedule everything until it is worked out .It doesn't matter if you had just two or three days to set this up or even just one,. it is your responsibilty to make sure it all comes together and works,even if you have to play phone/email tag with all involved parties  until it does.Infact that runaround is a big part of this business

Yes,you did the right thing and carried through with it all,and luck was with you,...this time!. You were also lucky the photographer just took it in stride.Your heart and intentions are in the right place,and I too will add my praises with the rest for that part ,but if you don't learn the lesson this incident shows you,someday you may work with someone who has money to loose because  your not there when you should be They will not be happy about it.! .Not all cancelations,No shows ,are because the model/photographer is an inconsiderate flake,(and I am not saying you are)they just don't think it all out sometimes.The best of intentions also need good planning,and common sense,especialy on short notice.

Oct 27 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I also just saw this.  [Though I can't imagine why because I'm pretty much always here!]  And I don't have much to add except Kaitlin rules and I want to hang out with her!!  Maybe even with the making photos.  I don't know how possible that is but, anyway, I'm just saying she rules.
And that photo is gloriously divine.  smile.

P.S.  I have an idea!  Kaitlin, you [somehow] should go to Pittsburgh for your shoot with Melvin...  During my stay there in December.  wink.

Oct 27 06 03:50 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I want to know where all the flakes get their photos from.

Nov 03 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

model7299 wrote:
I want to know where all the flakes get their photos from.

Stalkers?

Nov 03 06 08:46 pm Link