Forums > General Industry > Models are officially never allowed to flake again

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So yesterday I had a shoot. Here's how it went:

-Got an email from a photographer I've worked with before, and after weeks of being terribly busy with school, I finally found time to schedule a shoot.
-Found a ride (I don't have my license yet because I'm absurdly lazy about that sort of thing), nailed down the date of the shoot, and was working on figuring out a time
-Called my ride the night before the shoot (the whole planning thing was fairly last minute, and fairly casual, so this wasn't a problem with the photographer, otherwise I would never have allowed so much time to pass), and he didn't pick up. Told the photographer I'd let him know as soon as I could when I could be there.
-Called my ride twice more and left a text message and voicemail saying I NEEDED to know when we could get to the shoot. The photographer didn't care when we started, but I really didn't want to leave it til the last minute like that.
-Finally went to sleep with a splitting headache, and got up at 9 AM, marched over to my ride's apartment, woke up his friend by banging on the window, was let it, walked into his room, jumped on his bed, waking him up, and said "I really need to know when we can go to this shoot" He rolls over and asks his roommate when we can borrow his car. He hadn't even asked until that moment. The roommate says "Anytime, but can you drive stick?"
-After nearly killing my ride for not asking about the car earlier (it turns out that no, he doesn't drive stick), I have to walk over to a friend's apartment because his phone is broken, and ask if we can borrow his car.
-Said friend has work in a half hour and needs his car, but his roommate has a car, so we ask her. Her car has been acting up, and she doesn't want it to break down while someone else is driving it.
-After having to sit through the two roommates talk about something completely irrelevant for 10 minutes, the decide that she'll drive him to work and bring the car back so I can borrow it while he's at work.
-I tell the photographer and my ride that we're leaving at noon, and should be there by 2.
-I end up driving half the way anyway because my ride is too exhausted from an evening of drinking the night before. (Luckily with my permit, I can drive as long as there's a licensed driver in the car with me)
-We get there finally, I apologize profusely for letting him know so late (he of course, doesn't care anyway...lol), and then proceed to do a nude shoot with all these crazy, uncomfortable poses, on a scratchy, cold stone bench...while on my period. And no...I'm not one of the lucky few who doesn't get excruciatingly painful cramps.

Models...you're just never allowed to flake again...lol...it's that simple.

(btw, if you want to see a photo from the shoot, you can see one here: http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/n … /KL001.jpg He only postworked one so far)

Oct 23 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

At least you got a nice picture:-)

Oct 23 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

As a photographer I need to know.. I'm still allowed to flake and be an ass, right?

Oct 23 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

Wow! Under the circumstances I think most (NICE) photographers would understand, but that's amazing that you went through all that to get to the shoot!

Oct 23 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for this thread because it illustrates that people do whats important to
them.  After the first road block many models would have canceled but you didn't.
Photographers need to read this thread and understand most excuses are just that.  Nice photo also.

Oct 23 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It's a lovely photo. smile

You sound a bit like Jessie, who still wanted to drive two hours to shoot with me after knocking herself out in the tub. She woke up and called me when I was expecting her to arrive. I told her to wait until she'd talked to a doctor and call me back.

She also drove through a virtual monsoon to come here the night before the shoot that netted my avatar photo.

There's a reason I keep praising her.

Oct 23 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

this is a good example of the crap that happens on the models end.

great photo by the way! happy ending to a painful story smile

Oct 23 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
It's a lovely photo. smile

You sound a bit like Jessie, who still wanted to drive two hours to shoot with me after knocking herself out in the tub. She woke up and called me when I was expecting her to arrive. I told her to wait until she'd talked to a doctor and call me back.

She also drove through a virtual monsoon to come here the night before the shoot that netted my avatar photo.

There's a reason I keep praising her.

ooh you got here before I did smile

and it wasn't a virtual monsoon, it was a REAL monsoon! what should have taken 3 hours to get to KC took me 4 hours. that's a friggin' monsoon. and the interstate flooding? yeesh. I wanted that shot though and we got it big_smile

Oct 23 06 02:28 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Susi wrote:
At least you got a nice picture:-)

Thank you! As uncomfortable as it was doing the poses he asked for, I must admit...they were worth it smile

W.G. Rowland wrote:
As a photographer I need to know.. I'm still allowed to flake and be an ass, right?

Only if you agree to shoot with me when I finally make it out to California wink

Chris Beyond wrote:
Wow! Under the circumstances I think most (NICE) photographers would understand, but that's amazing that you went through all that to get to the shoot!

He's actually one of the nicest photographers I've ever worked with, and I knew he'd understand, but after all the time I made him wait to get that shoot nailed down, I was not about to be a no-show.

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Thanks for this thread because it illustrates that people do whats important to
them.  After the first road block many models would have canceled but you didn't.
Photographers need to read this thread and understand most excuses are just that.  Nice photo also.

Thank you smile And I agree...I think that models need to take more responsibility (not all, there are some wonderful models here), and to realize that photographers are people too, and it just isn't fair for us to waste their time.

Oct 23 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

John Carman

San Francisco, California, US

I think you should consider new friends.

Oct 23 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

1. Excellent photo

2. Crappy friend

3. Boo mentruation

4. Get your license already!

Oct 23 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

John Carman

San Francisco, California, US

But keep the photographer.

Oct 23 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

And move to the midwest. big_smile

Oct 23 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Stephen Melvin wrote:

big_smile  "Midwest is best."

Oct 23 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

John Carman wrote:
I think you should consider new friends.

Lol...for real. He's really not a bad guy though...I just don't think he realized how serious this is for me. People hear "internet modeling" and just assume it's not that important.

CLT wrote:
4. Get your license already!

I'm working on it! Sheesh! You just can't please some people. tongue

Stephen Melvin wrote:

I wish smile

Oct 23 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Thank you for sharing the story (and the awesome photograph! wow) ... I had my first flake in three or four months, yesterday. She was emailing me about every 30 minutes for the past two weeks, then yesterday pulled a no-show. 

I'm waiting on my shot for today - supposed to be here in an hour. I was going to shut the place down if he didn't show up 10 minutes early, but after reading your story I believe I will stay around for a while.  Life comes at your fast ... you're have all the marks of a true professional.  Oh, were the EMTs standing by during the shoot? wink

Cheers, Tim

Oct 23 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

the only times i've missed a shoot are because my ride flaked.
i don't let him give me rides anymore. i take public transit. and i'm planning on learning to drive, but being that all my friends are flakes, no one will teach me. haha.
so i totally sympathise. i'm not one of the lucky ones that doesn't get excruciating cramps, either. my utuerus always feels like it's trying to murder me.

~soma~

Oct 23 06 02:39 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Tim Baker wrote:
Thank you for sharing the story (and the awesome photograph! wow) ... I had my first flake in three or four months, yesterday. She was emailing me about every 30 minutes for the past two weeks, then yesterday pulled a no-show. 

I'm waiting on my shot for today - supposed to be here in an hour. I was going to shut the place down if he didn't show up 10 minutes early, but after reading your story I believe I will stay around for a while.  Life comes at your fast ... you're have all the marks of a true professional.  Oh, were the EMTs standing by during the shoot? wink

Cheers, Tim

I'm so glad I actually made a difference for someone other than the photographer I was working with...see? Totally worth the hassle if it gave you even a sliver of hope smile And EMTs should've been standing by. Holy crap. At one point I had my feet up on the bench, my head on the floor, my hands on my stomach, and my body pushed up in kind of a bridge position...it was absurd...I almost couldn't figure out how to get back down...lol

Oct 23 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

That's freaking gorgeous, K!

Oct 23 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Kaitlin, you are NOT moving away from the east coast.

Oct 23 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Soma Stardust wrote:
the only times i've missed a shoot are because my ride flaked.
i don't let him give me rides anymore. i take public transit. and i'm planning on learning to drive, but being that all my friends are flakes, no one will teach me. haha.
so i totally sympathise. i'm not one of the lucky ones that doesn't get excruciating cramps, either. my utuerus always feels like it's trying to murder me.

~soma~

Yeah...I take public transportation as well when I can...it takes about twice as long, but it's so much more reliable, and less of a hassle for my friends. This shoot was in the middle of nowhere though. We should really go get some driving lessons, huh? lol

Oct 23 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Meagan Colf

Seligman, Missouri, US

Models...you're just never allowed to flake again...lol...it's that simple

AY AY  Mon Capitan!!!   I totally agree!  I don't flake and  think it really gives the more serious models a bad rep!!

Oct 23 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Shyly wrote:
That's freaking gorgeous, K!

Thank you Shyly! I could say the same about all your stuff though tongue

Oct 23 06 02:45 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

CLT wrote:

FIGHT TO THE DEATH! big_smile

Oct 23 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

All i know from this is that I can't wait to shoot you and your sublime thinness.  = )

Oct 23 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

Who Is Tonie

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Lovely pics and we would have never known that you went through all that trouble just to get there! You get BONUS POINTS for not letting mother nature throw you off course!!!!

Oct 23 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Collin J. Rae wrote:
All i know from this is that I can't wait to shoot you and your sublime thinness.  = )

And I can't wait to shoot with you and your sublime colorfulness. Hey...like my feet in that shot? wink hehe

Oct 23 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

And I can't wait to shoot with you and your sublime colorfulness. Hey...like my feet in that shot? wink hehe

Well not my preferred view of tha feet...but the shot really gives an amazing account of your body.

Oct 23 06 02:51 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Collin J. Rae wrote:

Well not my preferred view of tha feet...but the shot really gives an amazing account of your body.

Thanks...I was actually amazed at how nice it looked myself...lol...I'm usually pretty critical of the way my body looks, but I just can't find anything I dislike here. smile

Oct 23 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
So yesterday I had a shoot. Here's how it went:

-Got an email from a photographer I've worked with before, and after weeks of being terribly busy with school, I finally found time to schedule a shoot.
-Found a ride (I don't have my license yet because I'm absurdly lazy about that sort of thing), nailed down the date of the shoot, and was working on figuring out a time
-Called my ride the night before the shoot (the whole planning thing was fairly last minute, and fairly casual, so this wasn't a problem with the photographer, otherwise I would never have allowed so much time to pass), and he didn't pick up. Told the photographer I'd let him know as soon as I could when I could be there.
-Called my ride twice more and left a text message and voicemail saying I NEEDED to know when we could get to the shoot. The photographer didn't care when we started, but I really didn't want to leave it til the last minute like that.
-Finally went to sleep with a splitting headache, and got up at 9 AM, marched over to my ride's apartment, woke up his friend by banging on the window, was let it, walked into his room, jumped on his bed, waking him up, and said "I really need to know when we can go to this shoot" He rolls over and asks his roommate when we can borrow his car. He hadn't even asked until that moment. The roommate says "Anytime, but can you drive stick?"
-After nearly killing my ride for not asking about the car earlier (it turns out that no, he doesn't drive stick), I have to walk over to a friend's apartment because his phone is broken, and ask if we can borrow his car.
-Said friend has work in a half hour and needs his car, but his roommate has a car, so we ask her. Her car has been acting up, and she doesn't want it to break down while someone else is driving it.
-After having to sit through the two roommates talk about something completely irrelevant for 10 minutes, the decide that she'll drive him to work and bring the car back so I can borrow it while he's at work.
-I tell the photographer and my ride that we're leaving at noon, and should be there by 2.
-I end up driving half the way anyway because my ride is too exhausted from an evening of drinking the night before. (Luckily with my permit, I can drive as long as there's a licensed driver in the car with me)
-We get there finally, I apologize profusely for letting him know so late (he of course, doesn't care anyway...lol), and then proceed to do a nude shoot with all these crazy, uncomfortable poses, on a scratchy, cold stone bench...while on my period. And no...I'm not one of the lucky few who doesn't get excruciatingly painful cramps.

Models...you're just never allowed to flake again...lol...it's that simple.

I think I'm in love.

Oct 23 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

CLT wrote:

Hey, we got room for her in Oregon ... the End of the Trail and all that wink

Go west young lady ... go west!

Oct 23 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

CLT wrote:

Tim Baker wrote:
Hey, we got room for her in Oregon ... the End of the Trail and all that wink

Go west young lady ... go west!

You westcoastners got your share of msues, dare I start naming them?

Oct 23 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Monique M Muniz

Los Angeles, California, US

girl...that is an amazing shot! good job.

Oct 23 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I would love to hear some excuses now after this thread  smile

And please...be original! Not the car thing, and the oh I drank too much last night thing LOL

EDIT:

where's the models hiding out at now? Not much talk from them in this thread LOL!
Because they're guilty of lame excuses? LOL! hahhahahhaha

NIce photo you got there too, by the way!!

Oct 23 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I think I'm in love.

Well it's about time...now you have to come shoot me tongue

Oct 23 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

CLT wrote:

CLT wrote:

You westcoastners got your share of msues, dare I start naming them?

Lol...score! I've seen way too many fights on MM lately...but this one...this I can get behind tongue

Oct 23 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Lol...score! I've seen way too many fights on MM lately...but this one...this I can get behind tongue

Crap! I spelled muses wrong. I am unworthy.

Oct 23 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

CLT wrote:
Crap! I spelled muses wrong. I am unworthy.

Eh...I had to spell check license...lol

Oct 23 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

FosbreStudios wrote:
I would love to hear some excuses now after this thread  smile

And please...be original! Not the car thing, and the oh I drank too much last night thing LOL

EDIT:

where's the models hiding out at now? Not much talk from them in this thread LOL!
Because they're guilty of lame excuses? LOL! hahhahahhaha

NIce photo you got there too, by the way!!

hey i gave my 2 cents already!

Oct 23 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

hey i gave my 2 cents already!

I know, you're excused    lol

Oct 23 06 03:19 pm Link