Forums > General Industry > Do you flirt on your photoshoots?

Photographer

Shane Perez

Brooklyn, New York, US

I personally kind of leave that up to the particular situation, although the majority of the time I am a bit flirty, it's a natural tendency (for those of us that are still human). This is especially true if it is someone that I know well and we are both comfortable with each other.

I think alot of this has to do with particular situations, if it's some sort of commercial work, with a model I've never met before, and I'm paying them, I would be ALOT less likely to flirt. Of course this depends on the dynamics with the particular model, with some people you just have good chemistry and build up that comfort level almost instantly. Most well adjusted adults should be able to distinguish when it is and is not appropriate to flirt. It mostly depends on how the model is behaving for me, if they initiate flirting or seem particularly fun, I'll happily flirt back, it makes for nice natural shots that don't seem so dry and lifeless. There's nothing quite like a natural smile.

For me, this happens pretty often (flirting during shoots), but I suppose thats due to a combination of factors. I'm not a commercial photographer, I do this for artistic expression and most of the stuff I do is TFP/CD shoots with amateur models. They are friends, friends of friends, girlfriends, and ex-girlfriends. Mostly they are people that I interact with beyond the model/photographer relationship on a regular basis and have an established personal relationship with. This isn't a business relationship, it's a collaboration between two people that have a mutual interest in creating art. I choose models not based on what a "client" would want, but on what I find visually appealing in a photograph, so it's natural for there to be some attraction there and they work with me because they like my previous work and get along with me well.

It's really not that big a deal, and yeah, there's a BIG difference between harmless flirting (mutual), and some creepy photog hitting on models that do not share their motives/mindset.

Aug 14 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I flirt at work with customers and coworkers. I flirt when shooting. I flirt at the restaurant. I flirt with my wife and her friends. I flirt with the soccer moms at my daughter's games. All the while I am treating the women with respect. The only woman I "hit on" is my wife.

Flirtation when done correctly in a professional situation is a way to cut through sexual tension that may be there to make things more relaxed for everyone. If you make someone uncomfortable, it's harassment.

Aug 14 05 07:04 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
I THINK YOU'RE REALLY CUTE! I'M FLIRTING WITH YOU!

(P.S. Starting this thread was actually inspired by some correspondance I was having with Hel. I've been in lust with her for years. She scares the hell out of me. But she's really amazing.)

shhh... you're making me all blushy.

Aug 14 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I prefer to think of it as "charming" a model, as opposed to flirting, but whatever you call it, I do it.
  It is a tool designed to put them at ease, and to reach a part of their character makes the difference between a snapshot and a portrait.
  I also charm the girls at the drycleaner, the auto club, the restaurant, the DMV, and the occasional lady cop, if the situation calls for it.

Aug 14 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

HungryEye wrote:
I prefer to think of it as "charming" a model, as opposed to flirting, but whatever you call it, I do it.
  It is a tool designed to put them at ease, and to reach a part of their character makes the difference between a snapshot and a portrait.
  I also charm the girls at the drycleaner, the auto club, the restaurant, the DMV, and the occasional lady cop, if the situation calls for it.

I like the way you put that.  Yes, "charming".  I would never flirt with a model, but I do tell them they're beautiful, how great they look, how great they're doing during the shoot, etc.  That's not flirting.

I do flirt, but not in a professional situation.  In my previous job, I was a manager in a large company, and flirting on the job would have been grounds for a sexual harrasment suit.

Aug 14 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If there is a female there to flirt with, then yes I do. Old, young, pretty, ugly, skinny, fat... doesn't matter... I do it without trying to... it's just my way of being friendly which is what I thought I was doing (being friendly) until it was pointed out to me that I was an incorrigible flirt.

Belair wrote:
Do you flirt when you go to the dry cleaners?

Do you flirt when you go to the muffler shop?

Do you flirt when you go to the bakery?

Do you flirt when you go to the gas station?

Do you flirt with your lawyer?

Do you flirt with your dentist?

Do you flirt when you go to the butcher shop?

Do you flirt with the plumber?

Of course not.  They are business relationships - just like the model/photographer relationship should be.

Aug 14 05 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

ROTFLTIPMP!!!

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Not entirely. In fact, cereal doesn't cause me any rectal discomfort unless it's administered as a suppository.

Aug 14 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

In an industry where being a "people person" is a definite advantage I think a little flirting is indeed professional and to some extent expected. Just keep it respectful.

Belair wrote:
No, not angry at all.  I'm just not sure why some folks think that photoshoots need not be treated like any other business transaction between professionals.  Flirting is unprofessional.

Actually, I find your position on this intersting since your profile opens with the statement, "I approach all of my work in a professional manner."  Are you suggesting that flirting is indeed professional behavior?

Aug 14 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Same here! And if I get overly businessy she will ask me what's wrong, or if there's a reason I don't like the model...

JvR wrote:
To the doubters on this thread: flirting is harmless, unless the flirtee (if there is such a word) or somebody else is offended by it or doesn't understand that it's just flirting.

I sometimes flirt with other women jokingly with my wife sitting right next to me. As long as all involved know it's just for fun, there's nothing wrong with it.

Aug 14 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

theda wrote:
I only flirt if I'm considering following through. So the answer is, no, i don't flirt on photoshoots.

There is a difference between being a flirt and a tease. A tease makes promises she won't keep: a flirt isn't making any promises at all.

A little flirting, IMO, is harmless if the model and photographer are otherwise comfortable with it. (Regardless of their sexes: I might even make a comment about a guy if I didn't think it would creep him out. I'm straight as a laser beam but I still have a sense of humor about it. Which is a good thing considering the number of guys who have hit on me in the past.)

M

Aug 15 05 09:01 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

Sometimes I flirt with the camera ;-)

Aug 15 05 09:06 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

I am a big flirt, and will be even a bigger flirt when I'm 90 years old :-)

Aug 15 05 09:13 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

theda wrote:
I only flirt if I'm considering following through. So the answer is, no, i don't flirt on photoshoots.

NO
I am professional and polite and friendly and obliging (unless there is a problem with the guy).
I dont 'flirt' ie act interested in the guy, I do the opposite actually to be sure they dont think Im ''hitting on''

can someone explain the difference?

and whats the point of the question?

Aug 15 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

StMarc wrote:
I might even make a comment about a guy if I didn't think it would creep him out. I'm straight as a laser beam but I still have a sense of humor about it. Which is a good thing considering the number of guys who have hit on me in the past.)

M

I'm scared.

Aug 15 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

I'm scared.

The sort of places I used to hang out, you could *not* get upset about being hit on by people of the wrong orientation (and I mean that in several different senses) or you would have a heart attack in about an hour. You smile, you make it clear that they're looking in the wrong place, and everybody moves on. No problem.

Besides, what could be more sincere than a compliment from a person you *know* doesn't want to have sex with you?

M

Aug 16 05 09:22 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Anjel Britt wrote:
I dont 'flirt' ie act interested in the guy, I do the opposite actually to be sure they dont think Im ''hitting on''

can someone explain the difference?

and whats the point of the question?

The difference between "flirting" and "hitting on" is intent.

"Flirting" means being playfully suggestive without any sincere intent to actually engage in anything sexual.

"Hitting on" means being playfully suggestive with the desire to follow-through and actually engage in sexual acts.

The point of the question is twofold:
1. For all the multiple threads about dating and crap, no one has ever brought up the topic of innocent flirting. So, it was a new and unexplored topic of conversation.

2. It helps to identify the uptight, non-flirtatious models/photographers; so the carefree, funloving, lighthearted ones can avoid them. (This sentence is TOTALLY written with the intent too "egg people on" and get them all in a huff and defensive to explain how they are "professional" and not uptight. Observe the future replies as the lemmings fall right into the manipulative trap...)

Aug 16 05 09:30 am Link