Forums > General Industry > Do you flirt on your photoshoots?

Photographer

- null -

DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A DISCUSSION ABOUT DATING OR SEX.

The "model/photographer dating" thread has been discussed 10,000 times on this website and I am sick of it.

This thread is different. It's about flirting. Because no one has ever brought this up as a topic before.

Models, do you flirt with photographers on shoots?

Photographers, do you flirt with models on shoots?

Here is the reason I ask - "Flirting" as opposed to "hitting on" is a totally acceptable form of behavior in "real world" modeling. In fact, it's one of the biggest cliches in modeling.

Flirting is a harmless way to bring out some fun, playfulness and sensuality in ANY shoot. Even if both parties are blissfully married to other people, flirting is innocent and non-damaging.

I'm a huge flirt (as is evident on the forums alone). I flirt with 90% of my models. It's just fun and it keeps things loose and carefree. I also happen to be young and cute. When I'm "older and distinguished" and I'll most likely keep on flirting (have to grow a neatly-trimmed beard and work on my Sean Connery imitation).

So, let's NOT talk about "dating" or "hitting on" or "making a pass" at someone. Just pure flirting. Do you do it? Do you think it's okay to have it done to you? Does it make you uneasy? Do you think it's wrong?

Opinions........

Aug 13 05 10:54 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Ill flirt if the photog flirts or maybe I will initiate it sometimes...big_smile

ciao
angela
xoxoxoxoxoo

Aug 13 05 10:58 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I flirt with my camera while the model watches. That usually works because it's actually my camera that's taking the picture...

Honestly, I'm too shy to flirt. I'm a wuss!

Aug 13 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Tuesday Rene

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, US

I'm a female photographer and I only shoot women models, so I don't think they want me to flirt with them. Well, some of them might.... Depends on the model I guess.
Hmmm.

Aug 13 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Flirting is an artform but if not done right it can become pretty smarmy. 

Nothing wrong with it as it can bring out the best in the model's inner emotion of feeling good about themselves.  That comes through in the shot(s). 

Best done in moderation to avoid an opposite effect...

Aug 13 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think of flirting as a form of flattery, which boosts confidence.  So yeah, I like it when there's playful flirting flying all over the place.  Confidence is good.

Aug 13 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

to flirt effectively i feel i need to be making eye contact, and my face is hidden behind the camera. i move around a lot so a tripod or stand isn't going to work.

any tips?

Aug 13 05 11:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

I flirt all the time with people who have the money.

The rest of ya'll are out of luck.  tongue

I'm rather charming when I want something...

LOL!

One time a photog asked me why I don't call him for a booty call. It was a rather bold thing to say, I took it as a joke. So I joked back and said... "Oh, so I can "use" you?" And he wrote me this big ol' fantasy letter.

I was shocked. And I'm hard to shock.

Never laughed so hard in my life.

Aug 13 05 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

If I get the vibe that they are comfortable enough with me, I'll flirt with them.  I don't know how to explain it, but i think most of know when and when NOT to flirt.  It's the few blockheads that don't get it that ruin it.

Aug 13 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

i don't call it flirting, i call it having good public relations.

Aug 13 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

i flirt with models, i flirt with bridemaids, i even flirt with the brides i shoot. heck, i even jokingly "flirt" with the groom and groomsmen. i do whatever i can to make people laugh, relax and feel comfortable in front of my lens. i think i am pretty good at reading people and if it ain't working, i stop or try something else.

[ b ]
http://www.beckersblog.com

Aug 13 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:
to flirt effectively i feel i need to be making eye contact, and my face is hidden behind the camera. i move around a lot so a tripod or stand isn't going to work.

any tips?

I had my own photo on here for awhile - those that have seen it know that a short, 55 year bald dude "flirting" with a young model would be, even a good day, pathetic.

I tell models - "forget the dude behind the camera - the camera itself is the best looking man you've ever seen - now flirt with him, catch his attention from across a room, etc".  That works well for me.

Aug 13 05 11:41 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

If I get the feeling the model wouldn't take it wrong, I'll flirt. Otherwise, I don't. Flirting gets better shots, though.

Aug 13 05 11:58 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hell I forgot how to flirt.
I'm married.
To me flirting is asking my husband *nicely to put down the damn toilet seat so I don't fall into the toilet in the middle of the night.

Aug 13 05 12:25 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

* Visual Mindscapes * wrote:
i don't call it flirting, i call it having good public relations.

ROFL!

Aug 13 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Diana Phan

San Jose, California, US

i'm a flirt by nature. so yes, i do it all the time, but really it's just all in good fun.

Aug 13 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Envy wrote:
Hell I forgot how to flirt.
I'm married.
To me flirting is asking my husband *nicely to put down the damn toilet seat so I don't fall into the toilet in the middle of the night.

You know if you would not back up all the way to the bathroom you would not have that problem.

Aug 13 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 13 05 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think 'flirting' means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. If I say 'yes' half the audience has a picture that's unpleasant. If I say 'no' half the audience thinks why do I bother shooting a style that requires such good people skills to create successful images. Can't win!

John

Aug 13 05 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Aug 13 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

What Kim said, but without the interesting but creepy lesbo twist.

Aug 13 05 04:28 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I think everyone flirts to some degree, that's part of the chemistry that it takes to get good photos.

I just crack lame jokes cause everyone knows I'm not a funny gal....

Aug 13 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

You might want to find something else to do if you feel the need to "flirt" with a model during a photo shoot....

Aug 13 05 04:39 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

so far i havent..but theres one photographer that i definately would if we worked together..omg hes so hot..anyway..yeh thats it lol

Aug 13 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Larisa Burdeynaya wrote:
so far i havent..but theres one photographer that i definately would if we worked together..omg hes so hot..anyway..yeh thats it lol

Oh, you!  Stop...that's so sweet of you to say--what?  You weren't talking about me?  Oh.  *slinks away*  tongue

Aug 13 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

Brian Diaz wrote:

Oh, you!  Stop...that's so sweet of you to say--what?  You weren't talking about me?  Oh.  *slinks away*  tongue

Brian youre too sweet..no this photographer is out of state..oh well..a girl can dream cant she??? You are very handsome btw wink

Aug 13 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

IndianaGlamour wrote:
You might want to find something else to do if you feel the need to "flirt" with a model during a photo shoot....

I think you're putting flirting in the wrong context. I'm not talking about flirting to 'get the girl,' but just to liven up the shoot and only if the model is flirty as well.

I have no intentions beyond taking pictures and I have never socialized with any model I've shot with.

Aug 13 05 05:42 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

JvR wrote:

I think you're putting flirting in the wrong context. I'm not talking about flirting to 'get the girl,' but just to liven up the shoot and only if the model is flirty as well.

I have no intentions beyond taking pictures and I have never socialized with any model I've shot with.

flirting is harmless so long as you dont go overboard

Aug 13 05 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

IndianaGlamour wrote:

I flirt all the time. During photoshoots. Outside of photoshoots. It's just an integral part of the personality of some folks. Sadly, some people are so puritanical that they not only can't flirt, but they feel the need to impose their frigid asexuality on others and condescendingly hide their lack of social skills behind the label "professionalism."

Larisa Burdeynaya wrote:
......this photographer is out of state..oh well..a girl can dream cant she???

Gee, thanks.

;-)

Aug 13 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

flirting is part of the game ... as long as you always keep the balls on your side :-)

Aug 13 05 06:03 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:

any tips?

Nope.

Aug 13 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

Brian Diaz is Sexy

Aug 13 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Le flirt est un désir d'apporter cela d'un sourire.....so however it is done...the desire is to relaxe your subject in a manner that is becoming that of respect, for you both want to achieve the same goal....the perfect image...

Aug 13 05 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Larisa Burdeynaya wrote:
Brian Diaz is Sexy

Is this flirtatious?  Or is it too blatant? Or just a lie?  tongue

Which leads to the question, do models and photographers usually flirt before a photoshoot?

Aug 13 05 06:17 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

Brian Diaz wrote:

Is this flirtatious?  Or is it too blatant? Or just a lie?  tongue

Which leads to the question, do models and photographers usually flirt before a photoshoot?

well..lol aww sexy Brian..dearest...lmao youre just great
whatcha doin next week

Aug 13 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I don't flirt with my female clients, but I will flirt with non-clients outside the studio situation.  But I do provide the client with lots of heart felt complements on their look, their posing, etc.  A fine line perhaps?

Aug 13 05 06:29 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

I'm with Visual Mindscapes.  I call it Public Relations smile

Aug 13 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gavin G

Richmond, Virginia, US

I try to be upbeat and I coach the model.
I don't think I would call it flirting.
I call it coaching....what I do.

I might flirt off set, but that is my personality.
On set, I just coach, and let the model work.

Aug 13 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I'm a female photographer and most of my models are women.  I don't really flirt because 1) I've never been really good at it and 2) I don't really want a reputation of being some creepy lesbo photographer....LWC.   I DO tell my models, male or female, when I really like what they're doing, and when it's in the context of being hot, I tell them and I play, and probe, gettting them into the emotional context of what I'm looking for.   At this point I'm working alot with people I've worked with before so we have a personal and/or professional relationship already, so being more emotionally intimate feels safer.

i am a female photographer as well, and i couldn't have said that better myself smile

Aug 13 05 07:52 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I only flirt if I'm considering following through. So the answer is, no, i don't flirt on photoshoots.

Aug 13 05 07:53 pm Link