Forums > General Industry > Should I be offended?

Photographer

gwphoto

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
if she states in her profile that she has tattoos and piercings then how does that information become outdated? It's not like "I have long hair" and then you have short hair.

She fully discloses that information in her profile so that is the photographers fault for not reading it.

and regarding me not showing images of my nipple rings you say that you wont work with someone who wont display images related to the style they are working in, well what style is that? I would say that images displaying nipples with piercings would either be artistic nudes or bondage, neither of which is my style. therefore I have no need to display them.

You are either privvy too info I missed, or do not have, or you are guessing, either way, it makes no difference to me.

Again on your nipples & rings, if you do not work those styles, what the heck are you bringing it up for ? (never mind answering as I was only using them as an example)  I do not particularly care what styles you do or do not work in, the original poster obviously has such things that are visible in styles she works in, I will not explain any more as it is all pretty obvious.

Oct 05 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Oct 05 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

gregausit wrote:
You are either privvy too info I missed, or do not have, or you are guessing, either way, it makes no difference to me.

are you just not going to her profile?

it says:

"And yes, I have 2 tattoos. One on my hip and one on the back of my neck. I have my nose/belly button/tongue pierced. If you do not want the piercings to show, I can take them out for the shoot."

Oct 05 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
are you just not going to her profile?

it says:

"And yes, I have 2 tattoos. One on my hip and one on the back of my neck. I have my nose/belly button/tongue pierced. If you do not want the piercings to show, I can take them out for the shoot."

I'm guessing she wisely added that to her profile after this incident to prevent further miscommunication.

No it wasn't stated very diplomatically and I didn't personally like that he seemed to be scolding her for mutilating her body. I happen to think body art is an adornment. But it's no more offensive than a model walking into an agency and being told her ass is too large for the catalog project.

Oct 05 06 10:48 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I'm guessing she wisely added that to her profile after this incident to prevent further miscommunication.

No it wasn't stated very diplomatically and I didn't personally like that he seemed to be scolding her for mutilating her body. I happen to think body art is an adornment. But it's no more offensive than a model walking into an agency and being told her ass is too large for the catalog project.

I did state in one of my earlier posts "this is assuming that you had this information available during negotiations" so I know she could have added it after the fact but I have been working under the assumption that she had it there the whole time. And I seem to remember viewing her port a week or 2 ago and seeing it there but I could be wrong

Oct 05 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Lohkee wrote:
A lot of people are calling the photographer judgmental. Sounds pretty judgmental to me. Ya just gotta love the irony of it all.

O the pain,  the agony

Ironic how much suffering some words about pins and needles and ink and blood o my.

Probably hurts a lot more than the piercings or the ink stains ever did.

Can't iron out those ironic wrinkles with logic,  it just doesnt mesh.

Oct 05 06 11:32 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Did this photographer mention on his site he wouldn't work with models who are inked up and have pins in their body? I hate when photographers don't mention these sort of details in their post it's so misleading to us models. I'm sure atealeas ONE model he's worked with has a tat or pin somewhere on their body, I can promise you that. Don't worry about him he's missing a chance to work with a beautiful model!

Oct 05 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

Dana Barry

Brooklyn, New York, US

YOu should not even think twice....these photographers sometimes act like they are gods gift....and have a right to be dicks!! I agree he could have just shut his trap when it was necessary and just cancelled the shoot....its just that simple......I dont think they realize that we dont really give a shit about their opinions....so to all the photographers out there that feel the need to offend models.....get over yourself.....no one cares. Just chose someone else if you dont like their style....catch my drift......ignore this dude.....he is obviously disrespectful and UNprofessional......

Dont be discouraged!!

xoxo
from Brooklyn

db

Oct 05 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

-Alisha

Simpsonville, Kentucky, US

Ok so I just an email back from him about what I said about covering them up/taking out piercings and this was his reply:

Alisha, the best solution for me to tattoos, and piercings, is to find models that don't have them. I want to photography only models that I can recommend to others based upon their behavior and abilities. I can not, in good conscious, recommend a model with tattoos, and piercings, to others. Good models take care of their appearance; and that care usually begins with skin care. I need models that could work as "main stream" models if they cared to. And, I have yet to encounter any model represented by a reputable land-based agency that has piercings or tattoos. Unfortunately, piercings and tattoos have become all to common with models on OMP and MM.

I am not comfortable talking with someone that has a pin through their tongue. I want to remove it every they open their mouth and I can see it. And, my wife also finds it to be gross. I was downtown when a fellow hit on me for some money to buy some food. He had a pin in his tongue. I said, "You have money to pay someone to put a pin through your tongue, but you have no money for food! That makes no sense. Take the pin out and I will give you $20.00". To my surprise, he took out the pin and threw it in the trash -- I guess he was hungry. But, that illustrates how I feel about piercings; and especially pins through a tongue. To me, it demonstrates a lake of self-respect -- and respect for one's own body.

I had the same experience with another model recently. I scheduled a shoot before I discovered that she had a piercing in her nose. She said that the pin could be removed (she now discloses her piercings, on her profile, and states that they can be removed). Yet, shortly before the shoot she started arguing that she didn't want to remove the pin and became adamant about it; as if it would take something away from her "looks". Thus, I had to cancel that shoot.

I have been working with models for over 20 years. I have elected to cancel only three scheduled shoots during that time; two for piercings and tattoos, and one because of a boyfriend. In the case of the boyfriend, it was Holly Dorough from Atalia, AL. She went on to become the Playmate for April of this year. She informed me at the last minute that her boyfriend was coming with her (in addition to her parents), that he was also a model, and that he would be bringing his wardrobe. I had never seen a photo of him. Well, he was not a model. And, he was covered with tattoos. They split not long after that, even though they were engaged. She probably discovered that she couldn't drag her boyfriend along with her as she pursued her modeling ambitions -- and she was ambitious.

You seem to be someone that I would have enjoyed working with. But, tattoos and piercings are a problem for me; even if they are hidden during our shoot. I hope that you can understand. I need models that have clear, beautiful, skin -- that could be signed by a reputable land-based agency -- and could work in the "main stream" if they desired to. To me, for a model to have tattoos, or piercings, and them conceal them represents a lack of full disclosure. It is a minor case of mis-representation. Therefore, I would prefer that any model that I photographed with tattoos not have them covered. It is not like changing makeup, because makeup is not permanent -- and not an integral part of the model. It is more like a model saying that she weighs 140 lbs. when she actually weighs 150 lbs.; even though it is easier to loose 10 lbs. than to get rid of a tattoo.

Oct 05 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alisha B wrote:
I have yet to encounter any model represented by a reputable land-based agency that has piercings or tattoos.

First, a disclaimer:  I don't personally like tattoos or piercings.

That said . . . .

His experience with "reputable land-based agency" models must not be very great.  I just did a search througha large database of commercial models, and found that 11% of them had tattoos, and 13% had piercings.

Agencies don't like tatoos and piercings any more than I do, but they are a fact of contemporary life, and don't necessarily prohibit a model from doing mainstream client work.

Oct 05 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Alisha B wrote:

I dunno... I just think he should have stated it better.

People waste far too much time being offended.  In the grand scheme that life is, do you really care what they think?

Oct 05 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Alisha B wrote:
Ok so I just an email back from him about what I said about covering them up/taking out piercings and this was his reply:

Alisha, the best solution for me to tattoos, and piercings, is to find models that don't have them. I want to photography only models that I can recommend to others based upon their behavior and abilities. I can not, in good conscious, recommend a model with tattoos, and piercings, to others. Good models take care of their appearance; and that care usually begins with skin care. I need models that could work as "main stream" models if they cared to. And, I have yet to encounter any model represented by a reputable land-based agency that has piercings or tattoos. Unfortunately, piercings and tattoos have become all to common with models on OMP and MM.

I am not comfortable talking with someone that has a pin through their tongue. I want to remove it every they open their mouth and I can see it. And, my wife also finds it to be gross. I was downtown when a fellow hit on me for some money to buy some food. He had a pin in his tongue. I said, "You have money to pay someone to put a pin through your tongue, but you have no money for food! That makes no sense. Take the pin out and I will give you $20.00". To my surprise, he took out the pin and threw it in the trash -- I guess he was hungry. But, that illustrates how I feel about piercings; and especially pins through a tongue. To me, it demonstrates a lake of self-respect -- and respect for one's own body.

I had the same experience with another model recently. I scheduled a shoot before I discovered that she had a piercing in her nose. She said that the pin could be removed (she now discloses her piercings, on her profile, and states that they can be removed). Yet, shortly before the shoot she started arguing that she didn't want to remove the pin and became adamant about it; as if it would take something away from her "looks". Thus, I had to cancel that shoot.

I have been working with models for over 20 years. I have elected to cancel only three scheduled shoots during that time; two for piercings and tattoos, and one because of a boyfriend. In the case of the boyfriend, it was Holly Dorough from Atalia, AL. She went on to become the Playmate for April of this year. She informed me at the last minute that her boyfriend was coming with her (in addition to her parents), that he was also a model, and that he would be bringing his wardrobe. I had never seen a photo of him. Well, he was not a model. And, he was covered with tattoos. They split not long after that, even though they were engaged. She probably discovered that she couldn't drag her boyfriend along with her as she pursued her modeling ambitions -- and she was ambitious.

You seem to be someone that I would have enjoyed working with. But, tattoos and piercings are a problem for me; even if they are hidden during our shoot. I hope that you can understand. I need models that have clear, beautiful, skin -- that could be signed by a reputable land-based agency -- and could work in the "main stream" if they desired to. To me, for a model to have tattoos, or piercings, and them conceal them represents a lack of full disclosure. It is a minor case of mis-representation. Therefore, I would prefer that any model that I photographed with tattoos not have them covered. It is not like changing makeup, because makeup is not permanent -- and not an integral part of the model. It is more like a model saying that she weighs 140 lbs. when she actually weighs 150 lbs.; even though it is easier to loose 10 lbs. than to get rid of a tattoo.

Wow is all I can say to that.

Oct 05 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Alisha B wrote:

I can't believe this guy. Why does he feel he needs to say all of this to you? wasn't "I'm not going to shoot with you" enough? there was no need to carry this on.

I relate this to me finding out that a photographer is a strict conservative catholic. That's not something he discloses on his profile and then I find out so I cancel our shoot. I could have just said "I found out you were a strict conservative catholic so I am no longer wanting to shoot with you." or I COULD take it one step further and write him an essay on why I think it's a terrible life choice to be what he is.

obviously being a strict conservative catholic has nothing to do with how our pictures will come out (whereas a tattoo or piercing will) but what I'm trying to point out is that he could have left it at "no more photoshoot" but he instead took it too far.

shame on him and I am sorry you are having to deal with such an ass.

Oct 05 06 05:57 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

Life's short. Be offended.

Oh and...you're right. It's okay for photographers to not shoot with models who have tattoos and piercings, just like it's okay for models not to shoot with photographers who can't take a decent picture. But he didn't have to be so rude about how he said it. A simple...sorry, i don't shoot girls with mods would have been fine.

Oct 05 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Alisha B wrote:

I think this garbage about agencies is a way to deflect possible accusations of being prejudice.  The guy is simply a stuffed shirt.  Proof of that is this ridiculous need to yank the "pin" from someone's tongue if they have one while talking to him.  The guy's a tool. And if he's reading this thread, YEAH, I CALLED YOU A TOOL!!  Seriously dude, if you don't like tatoos and piercings, just say you don't like them and won't shoot them.  You don't need to lecture those people on how they are mangling their bodies.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if your wife actually finds them exciting and would want one herself if she wasn't so worried that you'd divorce her because she's decided to destory herself.

Oct 05 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
I have my nipples pierced but I'm not going to go and post a photo of my nipples.

That's OK Jessalyn, send me the photos and I'll post them for ya.
I like to find win/win solutions whenever possible. ;-)

Oct 05 06 06:10 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Does he not know how many main stream FAMOUS models have tats and pins :Laughing: he doesn't seem to be up on things in this age.

Oct 05 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

CO Model Amber wrote:
Does he not know how many main stream FAMOUS models have tats and pins :Laughing: he doesn't seem to be up on things in this age.

he must have never heard of Omahyra Mota, what a hottie!

Oct 05 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

-Alisha

Simpsonville, Kentucky, US

CO Model Amber wrote:

yea thats what I was thinking

Oct 05 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I think the photographer said it best. There are PLENTY of other photographers who would kill to work with you. He's being silly and petty - you'd be much better off finding a professional to work with, someone who can see past their own personal preferences when they shoot. His portfolio would no doubt have had something secial if you two had shot so...his loss!

Oct 05 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I like to think every woman has her charm, and a good photographer can find it.

Whether the photographer wants to expend the energy required to find that charm is another matter entirely.

I'm Batman.

Oct 05 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

Austyn229

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

YYYEEESSSS...I get to post after Batman!  Everyone has pretty much said what I have to say...I have tats, and some people have declined to work with me because of that...and that's fine, I knew that going into this business.  But, none of them have ever said I mutilate my body or they cannot "relate" to me.  This photog was obviously relating just fine to her before he found out she had tats and piercings, which seems a bit strange that once he found out, suddenly he can't "relate."

And then for him to go on and on about how covering them is a misrepresentation...does that mean he won't work with someone that has a mole or freckles, or something else that sometimes gets covered or photoshopped out depending on the photographer?

I'm glad you others posted the stats on the agency models that have piercings and tats...I knew there were plenty, but didn't know the actual numbers.

This guy is just letting his personal hang-ups get involved in his professional life (as evident by his comment about his WIFE not liking the piercings...what the hell does that have to do with work?  That's like saying I won't shoot with photogs that are Redskins fans, cause my husband doesn't like them).  So, you're over it, and that's a good thing, cause wasting any more time being offended by this guy would be totally unproductive on your part!  Don't give him the satisfaction of making you feel bad in any way for how you live your life and express yourself.

Oct 06 06 12:29 am Link