Forums > General Industry > Done with models.

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

No more TFCD or TFP stuff for me. I am sick of models either not showing up or wanting to play f-ing phone tag or not reading their e-mail.

If you want to be professional then SHOW UP. If you want to be paid ever, then READ YOUR EMAIL.

I have too many paying clients and friends that will happily let me run an extra roll of film with to try something new to bother with you any more.

I am giving myself ulcers attempting to be nice to women that I would love to have model for me. I am giving myself headaches attempting to bend over backwards to accomodate your wishes and schedules. My fingers are raw from e-mailing into a black hole that I never hear back from. My ear is in pain from listening to your phone ring when you never answer it. My forehead bleeds from banging it against the wall to rid myself of your stupidity.

Sep 20 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
No more TFCD or TFP stuff for me. I am sick of models either not showing up or wanting to play f-ing phone tag or not reading their e-mail.

If you want to be professional then SHOW UP. If you want to be paid ever, then READ YOUR EMAIL.

I have too many paying clients and friends that will happily let me run an extra roll of film with to try something new to bother with you any more.

I am giving myself ulcers attempting to be nice to women that I would love to have model for me. I am giving myself headaches attempting to bend over backwards to accomodate your wishes and schedules. My fingers are raw from e-mailing into a black hole that I never hear back from. My ear is in pain from listening to your phone ring when you never answer it. My forehead bleeds from banging it against the wall to rid myself of your stupidity.

Right on you said a true mouth full

Sep 20 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Do you really want to publicly burn bridges like that?

Sep 20 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

I have had 7 shoots scheduled in the last week. 3 paid, 3 TFP models and 1 friend.

The three paid all showed and also let me run some test film.

The three TFP models all flaked. I should say one actually cancelled via email about an hour before we were scheduled. --I offered to re-schedule and haven't heard back for a week. --I check my e-mail at least once a day--don't you?

The friend was great, we ran longer than I had anticipated. I got some great stuff, and she was enormously thankful for the prints and cd that I gave her.

The best thing about MM is finding people to commiserate with---the Model that showed me this site FLAKED ON ME TOO....wink

Sep 20 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

so what else is new ?

Sep 20 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

That's all well and good. You are within your rights to decide not to work on a trade basis. However, do you really wish to make a public spectacle of your anger and frustration? Every model, whether they would want trade or paid shoots are going to see this very negative post.

Sep 20 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

have I got a resource for you!!!

http://www.realdoll.com/

Sep 20 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

vile_Mab_vile

Denver, Colorado, US

hahaha, women do cause alot of problems dont we? i agree...lol

Sep 20 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

ntyme photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

I can relate to what you're saying. It seems the ones that pay are the ones that show most tymes. People, including "models," put a value on money. If they are willing to pay, they usually have more respect for your time and they're. That's why I do a limited amount of tfcd work. Maybe photographers need to cut back on the number of tfcd work that they do, then "models" will place more value on a shoot when they are able to get one.

Sep 20 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Would you expect that random guy who works on cars to conduct himself just like a mechanic in a shop that has an established reputation?  Would you expect your friend who randomly learned to do taxes to provide you with financial advice like a broker from JP Morgan?  Would you expect your girlfriend's mom who makes a mean meatloaf to prepare a meal like a chef from Chez Degout?

So why do you expect professional behavior from nonprofessionals?  I just seems like quite a leap to me.

Still, I've found that many models who don't do this professionally to be on time, ready and eager to work, and very dedicated.  Many of the people with whom I've worked have either been beginners or non-professionals and I'm yet to have any serious problems.  It's all about the parameters you set up.  Perhaps you just need to set things straight long before the shoot...

Sep 20 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Got a great shot of a girl smoking the other day, if I could get a realdoll that smoked, I might head that way. $5000 bux worth of real doll or $5000 bux worth of Tagamet...hmmm

Sep 20 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Still, I've found that many models who don't do this professionally to be on time, ready and eager to work, and very dedicated.  Perhaps you just need to set things straight long before the shoot...

So far its the amateurs that have done great for me and the "professionals" that are the screwups.

Real genuine professional models are one thing but the wannabes are driving me loopy....

Sep 20 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

ntyme photography wrote:
I can relate to what you're saying. It seems the ones that pay are the ones that show most tymes. People, including "models," put a value on money. If they are willing to pay, they usually have more respect for your time and they're. That's why I do a limited amount of tfcd work. Maybe photographers need to cut back on the number of tfcd work that they do, then "models" will place more value on a shoot when they are able to get one.

I agree. Also, I think models get too used to TFCD shoots and never want to actually pay a photographer. I've always been very particular about doing those shoots and have done only a few. My time is freeing up a bit for about a month and there are a few ideas I want to do and have just recently decided I'd be open to doing a some TFCD work...But, Because I've known so many photographers complain about no shows, etc..I'm charging a deposit to be paid before the shoot is booked, to ensure my time isn't wasted.

Sep 20 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

Wow...I posted something similiar a couple of weeks ago about no-shows and how models demand so much, but have no idea what we go through...

And some told me to stop whining!

See? I'm not alone...don't give up!

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I feel you.  Its a bad part of the internet in general.  Models are able to
upload images for free and have nothing invested so showing up or calling
means very little to them.  I do a kind of phone interview where I try and
get a ideal of a models interest.  I ask casual questions that aren't really so
casual.  Like how many people you've shot with?   Do you have a comp card?
Where do you want to go with modeling?  If a model is really interested she will
usually sound excited.  I dismiss models who seem distracted or bored.  None
of this is easy but there are a small number of serious models here.  Where they
are is anybodies guess.

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Michael Barrett wrote:
Wow...I posted something similiar a couple of weeks ago about no-shows and how models demand so much, but have no idea what we go through...

And some told me to stop whining!

See? I'm not alone...don't give up!

Michael,

I looked over your portfolio, and I think I found your problem. You use a Nikon camera. Guaranteed to make models flake. wink

Sep 20 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

I see three types of models, Pros, wannabes and amateurs. It's those middle of the pack wannabes that have had a paid shoot or two maybe and think they are pros that are the flakes. Its the amateurs that I love to work with, they understand that some of what we are going to do may be new. They appreciate when I ask what types of portraits would they like to do or what type of poses do they need for their book. They appreciate that while I am trying to do some stuff for ME, at the end of that I would like to do something special for THEM.

The amateurs are one step removed from where my paying clients are. Perhaps I am just used to dealing with regular horses I am not ready to ride thoroughbreds...hehe

Next wannabe TFP shoot I do, I am showing up in grubbys, unshaved, with a Holga, and maybe a pocket full of candy....

Sep 20 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Michael,

I looked over your portfolio, and I think I found your problem. You use a Nikon camera. Guaranteed to make models flake. wink

Hey...can't afford the big guns...yet! wink

Sep 20 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

StudioSeventeen

Laguna Beach, California, US

MANY have no intention of ever shooting and just want the attention.

If you notice they have been a member of a model site for months/years and
never updated photos or done any shoots.

Its all about attention............

message TAG

You got mail

"MY"space

me me me.......

Sep 20 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

ravens laughter wrote:

Kaori & Jenny look pretty good. I wonder if they can get me into the Diamond Lane?

Sep 20 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

There is a 16 year old model on this site that has the following on her page

I am dependable, and will let you know well in advance if I am going to be late or can't make a shoot.

If you want to be a model and don't have that or something like that on your description, you need to find another line of work.

Sep 20 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

E Patrick Williams

I'm tired with dealing with dumb ass photographers who never give you ur damn photos! Is it that hard to put some pictures on a cd?!?!?! Shit takes like 5 min. I'm tired of this bullshit, I haven't done any shoots in awhile and haven't been to this site for awhile cause i'm sick of it.

Sep 20 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Stop the crying! 

Wahhh!!!!!

Poor baby, models from the internet flaked?  You don't say?

Sep 20 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Hamza wrote:
Stop the crying! 

Wahhh!!!!!

Poor baby, models from the internet flaked?  You don't say?

I knew we could rely on you for your compassionate viewpoint. wink

Sep 20 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I think you can get a real doll to smoke... with a little lighter fluid, but I think the fumes may be toxic!

Sep 20 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

E Patrick Williams wrote:
I'm tired with dealing with dumb ass photographers who never give you ur damn photos! Is it that hard to put some pictures on a cd?!?!?! Shit takes like 5 min. I'm tired of this bullshit, I haven't done any shoots in awhile and haven't been to this site for awhile cause i'm sick of it.

5 mins? Hmm. Perhaps I should have you do my editing for me.

Sep 20 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

E Patrick Williams

Stephen Melvin wrote:

5 mins? Hmm. Perhaps I should have you do my editing for me.

please... my pictures are never edited when i get them even when the photographer says he/she is gonna edit them. The only editing that get's done on my pics are resizing them so i can't get them printed out which pisses me the fuck off!

Sep 20 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

A M Photographic

Farmington, Connecticut, US

I can understand your grievances, but brother, TFP-TFCD isn't for you ... walk away.

Sep 20 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

please... my pictures are never edited when i get them even when the photographer says he/she is gonna edit them. The only editing that get's done on my pics are resizing them so i can't get them printed out which pisses me the fuck off!

Damn! How much are you paying for that poor service? smile

Sep 20 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Where do you want to go with modeling?  If a model is really interested she will
of this is easy but there are a small number of serious models here.  Where they
are is anybodies guess.

I agree 100% with Tony , it's really all about your screening process. You need to hone that down to a fine art into itself.

First e-mail : Hi - checked your post / site , please have a look at my site , if you like my style please contact me off MM at XXX.mail.com

Second Email ( off MM) : What is it you liked about my style and or what image could you see yourself in ?

Third e-mail: Lets set up a meeting to go over details , pick a shoot date, review written agreement. I am available ......

Two or three day delay between e-mails ---> Drop it , modeling is just a passing hobby, not serious enough about making great images to bother wasting my time.

Every June a whole crop of fine looking 18 year olds are looking to become a models. After the first e-mail , if model does not make it off the MM server about a 98% chance your in the flake zone.

You get what your membership cost you here on MM :-)

Good luck

Sep 20 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

E Patrick Williams

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Damn! How much are you paying for that poor service? smile

Well u got me there... but still photographers should still take things serious not just brushing things off cause u didn't get paid.

Sep 20 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Tony Lawrence wrote:
are is anybodies guess.

I agree 100% with Tony , it's really all about your screening process. You need to hone that down to a fine art into itself.

First e-mail : Hi - checked your post / site , please have a look at my site , if you like my style please contact me off MM at XXX.mail.com

Second Email ( off MM) : What is it you liked about my style and or what image could you see yourself in ?

Third e-mail: Lets set up a meeting to go over details , pick a shoot date, review written agreement. I am available ......

Two or three day delay between e-mails ---> Drop it , modeling is just a passing hobby, not serious enough about making great images to bother wasting my time.

Every June a whole crop of fine looking 18 year olds are looking to become a models. After the first e-mail , if model does not make it off the MM server about a 98% chance your in the flake zone.

Good luck

Sep 20 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Well u got me there... but still photographers should still take things serious not just brushing things off cause u didn't get paid.

You are absolutely right. They *should* take things seriously. They *should* provide what they promise. Did you enter into a contract with any of the photographers you have worked with? Is there a written agreement stating what compensation you are being given for your time and effort? What time frame are you talking about? How long after the shoot have you waited for images? Depending on the image, it can take 5 minutes, it can take 8 hours, although most 8 hour jobs should just be tossed in the trash, as the image was probably too broken to begin with if it takes that much work to 'fix'. Unless the point is to heavily manipulate it.

Sep 20 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

......... forget it, you wouldn't understand anyway.

Sep 20 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

please... my pictures are never edited when i get them

what kind of editing are you expecting i am just confused... cuz u people get confused.... between editing and airbrushed.....

EDITING MEANS... GETTING RID OF THE BAD PICTURES( OUT OF FOCUS, BLURED, EYES WIDE SHUT)

Sep 20 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Afablb wrote:

One of my flaked models showed me MM so at least I got that out of it.

I definitely think you are right on the money about screening. I just can't afford the time not to do it better than I have been and need to get a better set of questions down. So part of the problem I will lay at my own feet.

I need to quit sniffing the Dektol and start sniffing flakes before they piss me off.

Sep 20 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
So far its the amateurs that have done great for me and the "professionals" that are the screwups.

Real genuine professional models are one thing but the wannabes are driving me loopy....

is that kind of like:

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

The future ain't what it used to be.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.

Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there.

I don't want to make the wrong mistake.

You can observe a lot just by watchin'

Always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't go to yours.

Never answer an anonymous letter.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

When asked what time it is: "Do you mean now?"

I usually take a two hour nap from one to four.

I never said most of the things I said.

--face reality

Sep 20 06 07:15 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

You should really rephrase the "wannabe" into "nevergonnabe."  They're just not smart enough to realize it yet.

Sep 20 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Jeff Genung wrote:

I definitely think you are right on the money about screening. I just can't afford the time not to do it better than I have been and need to get a better set of questions down. So part of the problem I will lay at my own feet.

Very proud of you Jeff, takes a true master to say I am doing something wrong and will now work at fixing it !

Kinda bold still working in film at $ 100+ a session with TFCD, I hung out in the film world too long also....nothing like a quick card reader and an hour later in photoshop your about 98% of what it takes with processing .... in the end your wallet will stay lots thicker.

Best regards,

FA

Sep 20 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

All these folks with too many paying clients....I must be in the wrong geographic location..

anyway, with all these payers and friends, why would you EVER contemplate or have to work with other people.

Plus, since you have too many paying clients, maybe you can pay more models to work with you and therefore not have to worry about trades!

Sep 20 06 07:38 pm Link