Forums > General Industry > Double freakin standard.....

Model

Apauline

Pasadena, California, US

I just noticed that on SOOOO many profiles I see women, naked women, womens nipples, womans bodies. But on most male model profiles they will show the chest but not a full nude like most women. Whats up? Why is it okay for a woman to be azz nekkid but not a guy?? I have not seen ONE full nude (not implied) guy on here, not that Im looking (LOL) I just noticed that Im seeing a LoOoT of females parts up on here! Geeze!

Sep 09 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

As a male photographer, it's not that I won't shoot nude males, it's that most males won't shoot full nude. I don't know... maybe they are afraid of someone seeing that they got a little wee wee. Maybe they think I'm gay. (I'm not) I don't know but most guys I have shot just ain't down with doing nudes.

Sep 09 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Because the male nude is not aesthetically pleasing.. There are a few paintings and mainly statues of the male nude in museums, but you will be hard pressed to find alot of them anywhere.. again, from a visual standpoint not the same artistic value as women..

I laugh when I hear women say this because even PLAYGIRL's readers are mainly gay men.. I dont know ONE woman with a subscription..  LMAO

So it is obvious there isnt much of a market for it.. Artistically or Commercially..

So you ladies may want to invest in your own digital camera and 4x6 printer.. LOL

Sep 09 06 04:37 am Link

Photographer

BonedaddyBruce

Orlando, Florida, US

If I were a model, I would have a full nude of myself.

But most people on this site would not want to see a male full nude.

I have posted some of my male nudes before, just not enough interest.

Sep 09 06 04:40 am Link

Model

Apauline

Pasadena, California, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
Because the male nude is not aesthetically pleasing.. There are a few paintings and mainly statues of the male nude in museums, but you will be hard pressed to find alot of them anywhere.. again, from a visual standpoint not the same artistic value as women..

I laugh when I hear women say this because even PLAYGIRL's readers are mainly gay men.. I dont know ONE woman with a subscription..  LMAO

So it is obvious there isnt much of a market for it.. Artistically or Commercially..

So you ladies may want to invest in your own digital camera and 4x6 printer.. LOL

Hmmm....I guess you're right, I dont even think Playgirl is the least bit sexy, lol...darnit..I wonder why that is>?

Sep 09 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Angelica Perry wrote:
I just noticed that on SOOOO many profiles I see women, naked women, womens nipples, womans bodies. But on most male model profiles they will show the chest but not a full nude like most women. Whats up? Why is it okay for a woman to be azz nekkid but not a guy?? I have not seen ONE full nude (not implied) guy on here, not that Im looking (LOL) I just noticed that Im seeing a LoOoT of females parts up on here! Geeze!

Simple.  Most men don't have the courage to be that completely exposed.  And most photographers [male or female] don't have the flexibility to capture it anyway.

Any other questions?

Sep 09 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Is it about what people want to see?

Or is it about what type of work the artist want to do?

The way it sounds photographer only want to shoot what they think others will like. Not what THEY like.

M

Sep 09 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Angelica Perry wrote:

I do have a couple male nudes online; just not on my MM portfolio (if I had more photo slots I'd consider posting a couple). I think what other people have said here is true; most male models aren't comfortable with it, the interest isn't as great, and I too agree that the female figure is just more artistic (my opinion of course). This double standard also extends into movies and other art forms. I'd like to see it become a little more equal, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

What I find odd is that in the art world you find mostly nude women, but at nudest camps and groups you find the men out number the women. In fact, many nudist groups have quotas on how many single men can join in an effort to keep the women/men ratio more even.

-P-

Sep 09 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
Because the male nude is not aesthetically pleasing..

Bingo!

A male nude can be appreciated.

But there is just something about the female form that screams work of art.

Sep 09 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Angelica Perry wrote:

Hmmm....I guess you're right, I dont even think Playgirl is the least bit sexy, lol...darnit..I wonder why that is>?

Because straight women like different things about men than gay men do.  The people who conceived Playgirl didn't quite understand this at the time.

par exemplar:  The last time I saw a woman get excited about a man in a magazine was last night...A friend was staring so hard at [Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker] Joey Porter that I thought her eyes would drop out of her skull.  Joey Porter isn't a sex toy [like Mr. September] -- he's an Alpha Male.  Today's Linebacker is the same as a Woolly Mammoth Killer 2000 years ago.  Just because we wear nicer clothes dosen't mean we're all that much more evolved than our ancient ancestors.

Sep 09 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Yes, I agree that the male nude just isn't as aesthetically appealing as the female and you also have to consider the fact that even in a full-frontal nude photo, a woman's vulva just doesn't show as prominently as a man's penis.

Sep 09 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

SKPhoto wrote:

Bingo!

A male nude can be appreciated.

But there is just something about the female form that screams work of art.

Not true...The male nude can be just as aesthetic as the female.  The problem is today's straight male photographer dosen't feel comfortable staring at a naked man long enough to find that aesthetic.

What the female form really screams is "I'm not a fag!  Look!  I like girls!"

Sep 09 06 11:21 am Link

Model

t i f f a n y

Orlando, Florida, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
not the same artistic value as women..

I don't think that is fair,  Whenever I hear people say that Nudity is artistic, then they don't want to see male nudes, Then I just come to the conclusion that these people only want to see me naked.  If you think that the woman's body is artistic then the male's body should be just as artistic.  Art doesn't have to be pretty, it can be downright ugly.  I personally think that the reason you don't see many male nudes on here is because most of the photographers on here only want to work with the females.  And UIPhotos not really trying to argue with you, that phrase just happened to cross my eye.  Other than that I agree with you.

Sep 09 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Is it about what people want to see?
M

unless you are independently wealthy, have a day job, or enjoy starvations. what is marketable counts.

in addition, most photographers have a difficult time shooting even female nudes well, male nudes are not for the amateur. its a rythym most (especially women) neither understand nor really connect with.

Sep 09 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Not true...The male nude can be just as aesthetic as the female.  The problem is today's straight male photographer dosen't feel comfortable staring at a naked man long enough to find that aesthetic.

Not at all.  Why can't it simply be my aesthetic like or dislike that I just so happen share with so many others?  I prefer curves to straight lines.  I can "appreciate" a male form such as Colin Farrell, he's handsome and has a good body, but I do not find it aesthetically pleasing.  Wouldn't mind looking like that myself.

Look at it this way, I give pretty good massages, I prefer to give them to women rather than men because I also don't like the "feel" of a man's skin, thicker, harder, less fat, easier to feel the bones underneath, and all that hair that feels like barbed wire, men are "aesthetically" displeasing to me to touch.

Nothing about being "uncomfortable" about anyones sexual choices.

Sep 09 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Thank you.  Agreed.

We live in a homophobic society.  That's why you see plenty of female nudity and little of its male counterpart.  It has nothing to do with the female body supposedly being some work of art, the level of which the male form could never attain.  Most male photographers are just worried that if they shot a photo of a nude/naked male and it actually turned out to be a beautiful/hot image... well, of course that means they're gay, right?

Nonsense.  If creating a beautiful image legitimately challenges one's manhood, then that's a rather tenuous grip on that manhood anyway.  I'm shocked at how many male photographers claim to be incapable of finding and capturing beauty in the human form.  These same photographers can certainly tell you when some guy is ugly, but they can't see it's polar opposite?  Sure, you have preferences and may choose not to shoot certain subjects, but to claim the beauty isn't there or you can't see it or that you can't capture it?  I think that's a bit of a stretch...

For hundreds if not thousands of years artists captured the male figure.  It was dipicted as grand, powerful, graceful and other such adjectives.  And until people started to paint leaves over the privates or take a chisel to a statue's crotch, those artist renderings were oftentimes fully nude.  Society just perceives it all differently now.

Sep 09 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

t i f f a n y wrote:
I don't think that is fair,  Whenever I hear people say that Nudity is artistic, then they don't want to see male nudes, Then I just come to the conclusion that these people only want to see me naked.  If you think that the woman's body is artistic then the male's body should be just as artistic.  Art doesn't have to be pretty, it can be downright ugly.  I personally think that the reason you don't see many male nudes on here is because most of the photographers on here only want to work with the females.  And UIPhotos not really trying to argue with you, that phrase just happened to cross my eye.  Other than that I agree with you.

I'll be the first to admit I have a preference for the female form, and I seriously doubt being hetero has nothing to do with it. Having said that, I have no problem photographing a male nude, although I haven't photographed nearly as many men as women. One of the problems I'm finding is I'm just not that good at it yet; I find you have to photograph men and women differently and I simply do not have the practice, or have done the research, nearly as much as I have with women. My latest male nudes have come out better than my first attempt, but I still need to learn how to pose them better and work on getting different expressions out of them. There's a gay bar (one of many actually) here in Minneapolis that the Goths take over on Monday nights. In the bar they have some exceptional black and white photographs of nude men, although they aren't full nudes (waist up only). I certainly wouldn't mind being able to get some shots like those. At some point relatively soon I'm going to start looking for male figure models again.

-P-

[edit] Here's one of the male nudes I shot (in case anyone is curious):

http://www.usefilm.com/Image.asp?ID=952314

Sep 09 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Thank you.  Agreed.

We live in a homophobic society.  That's why you see plenty of female nudity and little of its counterpart.  It has nothing to do with the female body supposedly being some work of art, the level of which the male form could never attain.  Most male photographers are just worried that if they shot a photo of a nude/naked male and it actually turned out to be a beautiful/hot image... well, of course that means they're gay, right?

Nonsense.  If creating a beautiful image legitimately challenges one's manhood, then that's a rather tenuous grip on that manhood anyway.  I'm shocked at how many male photographers claim to be incapable of finding and capturing beauty in the human form.  These same photographers can certainly tell you when some guy is ugly, but they can't see it's polar opposite?  Sure, you have preferences and may choose not to shoot certain subjects, but to claim the beauty isn't there or you can't see it or that you can't capture it?  I think that's a bit of a stretch...

For hundreds if not thousands of years artists captured the male figure.  It was dipicted as grand, powerful, graceful and other such adjectives.  And until people started to paint leaves over the privates or take a chisel to a statue's crotch, those artist renderings were oftentimes fully nude.  Society just perceives it all differently now.

Agreed! This is very well said.

Sep 09 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Angelica Perry wrote:
Why is it okay for a woman to be azz nekkid but not a guy...??

Yeah, I deal with this quite a bit.
   Nude Men are a stigma that are discouraged because many women consider them to be vain exhibitionist, and many men fear they'll catch a stink of gay if they look. Plus, with anybody who poses nude, there's always the fear of judgement from those who will view it later (See my latest Tag) One needs a pretty thick skin to be willing to subject themselves to the opinions of those who view the final products.
  The real difference is in the market place. There are many more people who want to view nude women, than want to view nude men. Economics 101: Supply and demand....

Sep 09 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

SKPhoto wrote:

Not at all.  Why can't it simply be my aesthetic like or dislike that I just so happen share with so many others?  I prefer curves to straight lines.  I can "appreciate" a male form such as Colin Farrell, he's handsome and has a good body, but I do not find it aesthetically pleasing.  Wouldn't mind looking like that myself.

Look at it this way, I give pretty good massages, I prefer to give them to women rather than men because I also don't like the "feel" of a man's skin, thicker, harder, less fat, easier to feel the bones underneath, and all that hair that feels like barbed wire, men are "aesthetically" displeasing to me to touch.

Nothing about being "uncomfortable" about anyones sexual choices.

uh huh.  yeah.  right.

Sep 09 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

Chad - C

Ive definitely done full nudes... just never posted them on here... Some idiots actually stole some of my photos for myspace... and posted me pretty much nude as their main photo. the pic was when I was 18 and shot some regrettable photos. It was a bit embarrassing.... The nudes that i have done recently though are pretty good though...

Sep 09 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Angelica Perry wrote:

when it comes right down to it. more men (and lesbians) would rather see a naked woman than women (and gay men) would rather see a naked man... (gay men actually being the larger percentage of desire of seeing naked men over womens desire to see)

bottom line: chicks generally like the penis.. they just dont really care to see the penis. ive noticed theyd rather see rock hard.....abs ( no demand )

Sep 09 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

Chad - C

yeah.. in my eyes the male nude body is hideous... Im sort of being a hypocrite... since ive done them... but i think men are just plain ugly, hairy apes, including myself....

Sep 09 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Chad Castellanos wrote:
yeah.. in my eyes the male nude body is hideous... Im sort of being a hypocrite... since ive done them... but i think men are just plain ugly, hairy apes, including myself....

Yeah Dude -- You're an ugly hairy ape all right...

Sure. wink

Sep 09 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Hmm... I see no straight lines in Chad's avatar.  Pretty damned curvaceous to me, as a matter of fact.  tongue

Sep 09 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

Chad - C

Mayanlee wrote:
Hmm... I see no straight lines in Chad's avatar.  Pretty damned curvaceous to me, as a matter of fact.  tongue

I Think thats a compliment?

Thanks

Sep 09 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

rudy k

Washington, Arkansas, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

A lot of male form are quite an art
Look at the sculpture of David by Michelangelo

Sep 09 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Chad Castellanos wrote:

I Think thats a compliment?

Thanks

*sigh*

Yes, that's a compliment. I have to stop being so oblique one of these days.

Sep 09 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

The whole dynamic has changed throughout the years, and some places just take a little longer to catch up.  Just last month, I overheard two little old ladies in a coffeehouse going on about Michaelangelo's David and remarking with a huff, "Well, afterall, it was a gay culture...." 

15 years ago, virtually all who came to me for portfolio work at all were female.  In that era, guys did not dance, and guys did not pose.  One 50 year old actor told me, "You can call me a model.  But, don't you EVER call me a 'male model.'"

Nowadays, it's mostly guys knocking on my door for photowork, and they come to me with complaints of unprofessional rubenesque young lady photographers who gave them the creeps.

And, OF COURSE the male form can be aesthetically pleasing!  I've watched the ladies follow around my models like little puppies, and they weren't particularly interested in what kind of car they had. 

However, there is a market issue right there.  If women felt comfortable buying big art prints of naked guys and putting them on their walls and/or if the parents of a teenage girl didn't absolutely freak out if she did what her brother does, then there would be a market and I would bother taking male nudes.

Sep 09 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

One of the models in my portfolio (Tom) joined MM last year at my suggestion.  He put some frontal nudes in his portfolio, and got a number of mildly abusive messages telling him that frontal nudes were not appropriate for a male model, and it was suggested he take the offending photo's down.  Tom does a lot of nude work he felt he needed to show his whole body.  But he got so fed up with being told to remove them that he quit MM.

If you're going to model nude you should have nude photographs in your portfolio.

Sep 09 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Here are some links to some discussions we have had in the past, and MM's rules on nudity make it difficult for people wishing to post nude images of men,

Star

Males:

Flaccid penises are permissible, if marked 18+.
Full erections are NOT ALLOWED on Modelmayhem.

the one I started last year:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=6556

and others

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=24336
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=55475
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=12350

and the most fun one, the one locked after 3 threads that leads to a phantom zone thread

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=10860

Sep 09 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Come see my penis pics....I think they are def. artistic and not porn. After all, men do have penises. There is a long history of male nudes, in fact, in sculpture, etc. They are more common than female nudes. I love the figure studies I did while in Algonquin park. I don't care if it is a woman or a man, I love nudes.

Sep 09 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Worton

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Something else to note - - Male nudes are much harder to do well, the male body has to be a 9+ while a female body can be much more average to succede.

Sep 09 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Webspinner wrote:
I think they are def. artistic and not porn. After all, men do have penises. There is a long history of male nudes, in fact, in sculpture, etc. They are more common than female nudes. I love the figure studies I did while in Algonquin park. I don't care if it is a woman or a man, I love nudes.

Great philosophy, I totally agree. Like a good landscape or portrait, the body is art, regardless of gender....

Glenn Worton wrote:
Something else to note - - Male nudes are much harder to do well, the male body has to be a 9+ while a female body can be much more average to succede.

Not that I think that I'm a 9+, but I think there is some truth to this. I wouldn't have the confidence to pose if I didn't work out, and use that as part of my motivation to stay fit.....

Sep 09 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
Because the male nude is not aesthetically pleasing..

I don't agree with this at all.  I have seen some powerful shots depicting nude males. 

I am secure enough in my masculinity to appreciate the male physique and often when my wife and I are at the beach we point out both male and female specimens to each other.

Beauty is beauty.

Sep 09 06 02:00 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

About marketing, supply & demand: Men are for the most part visually stimulated, which exlains the stereotype of teenagers and centerfolds. Men for the most part go for pinups, etc whereas women are not so much visually aroused as by other things, and thusly women are more likely to have the posters of male actors or musicians and fall in love with so much as gorgeous eyes and a cute smile and not really need to see the rest.

Sep 09 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I'm not going to read through everyones post...but as a heterosexual female...I would still much rather look at a nude woman's photo than a mans.

Sep 09 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:

Correct.  When there is an overwhelming demand for it (and not just in the niche markets) then you will see more of it.

Considering that women are the number one consumer base on the plenty you'd think that if ya'll wanted to see it it would be all over the place.  But apparantly they don't.

Sep 09 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Cristina Ashley wrote:
I'm not going to read through everyones post...but as a heterosexual female...I would still much rather look at a nude woman's photo than a mans.

That's true for most people
Women's bodys are just more attractive visually than mens'
nature designed us that way
and penises (penii?) are generally ugly

Sep 09 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Apauline

Pasadena, California, US

Cristina Ashley wrote:

True enough, I am also a heterosexual female and sometghing about a womans body is nicer to look at than a guys, it's just weird to me that its like that.

Sep 09 06 10:23 pm Link