Forums > General Industry > Photographers height

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

5' 10"  But I still stand on things or lay on the ground.  What's up with that?

Aug 26 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Steve_D

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

5'2" and I love ladders... they're my friends!

Aug 26 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Ailgif Studios

Portland, Arkansas, US

Mark Stein wrote:

Don't worry about finding something to stand on.... just learn how to use elbows, and "accidently" step on feet when shooting in a crowd.

lol...I'll keep that in mind. 

Some of my favorite photos are by Dorothea Lange and although I don't remember exactly how tall she was, I do remember learning she was short...

Aug 26 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

What was the question... how high am I??? Oh wait... ok 6'... that's 42 feet in dog feet.

Aug 26 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

UdoR wrote:
Exactly 5'10"

This is very practical when casting runway models, when they hand me their compcard, say that they are 5'10", their compcard says 5'10" and they wear heels and I look slightly down on them...

Spotting the tall-fakers fast... big_smile

At 5' 6" I take the exact opposite approach!....I all depends how much have to crick my neck up to look into their eyes.

M

Aug 26 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

5' 10 1/2"

I don't really have any problems with models, unless they are over 6'.

Aug 26 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

6' 8"

Does anyone top that?

I've learned to bend down and sit a lot.

Aug 26 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

6'1"

Aug 26 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

FotoBarr Fotography

Alexandria, Virginia, US

5'-6" Thank god for Ladders!

Aug 26 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

6'1".  Shoe 10.  Dress 8.

Aug 26 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

D V S

New York, New York, US

Awesome, so lets ask this: are tall photographers more prone to kneeling down, while short ones like to climb on stuff?

Aug 30 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Just about 6' even.

Aug 30 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Impressions

Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Le Beck Photography wrote:
6' 0"
I still need a stool to get an overhead perspective. I think you'd need to be 8'. Problem is all the deep knee bends and squats I have to do. Sometimes it feels like the day after the first day of soccer practice... Oww that deep ache right next to the bone, or am I getting old ;-|

6' 5"

Find the same problem with the deep knee bends, espessially when working with vertically challenged models (anything under 6' for me, and quiet often work with 5'5" / 5'6" models).

Had a very embaressing sutuation on a recent shoot where my knee "locked up" (very painful) as a result of an old football injury, causing me to fall over on the ground writhing in pain ......... doesn't work wonders for a models comfort factor.

Aug 30 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

5'10" here as well,
and still always keep a step ladder handy at all times, for different angles, and for the taller models, I still need to use the step ladder as well.

Aug 30 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

6'2" - and definitely, height DOES give you a different perspective. I spend a lot of time on my knees in front of models. . . .

Aug 30 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:
6'2" - and definitely, height DOES give you a different perspective. I spend a lot of time on my knees in front of models. . . .

I'm 6'2 as well and do spend a fair amount of time on my knees in front of models...... but it's usually begging please, please lose the top, please! big_smile

Aug 30 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Le Beck Photography wrote:
6' 0"
I still need a stool to get an overhead perspective. I think you'd need to be 8'. Problem is all the deep knee bends and squats I have to do. Sometimes it feels like the day after the first day of soccer practice... Oww that deep ache right next to the bone, or am I getting old ;-|

5'10" here and can totally relate to the aches. I still do play soccer but it's doesn't help the cramps in my calves and legs from the constant squats and kneee bends  after several hours of shooting.

Aug 30 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Photografika

Utica, Michigan, US

5'11"

Aug 30 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

6'2", always crouching, keeling etc.  Except of the shot of Melanie on the bridge - it was raised so I actually got to stand straight up.  What a relief!

Aug 30 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

5'11'' Here.

Photographer

Jen Price Photography

Longview, Washington, US

Somewhere between 5'9" - 5'10".

But being that I shoot alot of kids, I'm constantly down on the ground so it doesn't really help me in those regards.  And even though I'm pretty tall, I'm still finding myself climbing up on things to get that much higher when shooting adults.

Photographer

Mark Fortenberry

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

6'5"    I find myself sitting on a tall stool alot. OH, But that's at the Bar.

Never mind.

Aug 30 06 11:09 am Link