Forums > General Industry > Photographers need to realize!!

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Daniela V wrote:

Isn't it just easier to work with the model that already has the look you want...as opposed to handing one stilts and crouching down on the floor?

I'm thinking yes.

I also don't think being a versatile model means you can be 5'9 and 4'11. I think it means you can be commercial-glam- etc.

-D

Amen and bless you.

Aug 23 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

studio36uk wrote:
5' 4" for a ballet dancer is almost too big. One of the dancers in Russia [at the Kirov-Mariinsky?] was much too tall... and heavy... and kept injuring her male dance partners during lifts. They sacked her and she sued to get her job back... but few, if any, of the men will dance with her even today.

Studio36

Not necessarily true... I'm 5'5" and I have danced ballet without any problems. And I never had partner problems.

Edit: Also, not to sound like a bitch... But you say you have worked with photographers who made you look taller, but in all of your pics in your portfolio, you still look little.

Aug 23 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Lamonica wrote:

Not necessarily true... I'm 5'5" and I have danced ballet without any problems. And I never had partner problems.

Edit: Also, not to sound like a bitch... But you say you have worked with photographers who made you look taller, but in all of your pics in your portfolio, you still look little.

I also have a ton of pics to which are not on modelmayhem if anyone took the time to look at my yahoo group or my other sites! i might still look tinybut I'm flexable so its no skin off my back!

Aug 23 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Darkdesire wrote:
Ok so I get this email tonight saying that a photographer gets his best work from tall thin models. Understood, but my perspective is a lot of photographers do not know how to make us petite models look tall. I have had many photographers make me look shorter then what I am, and with that said I have had some awesome ones that were wiiling to get down on the ground and make me look tall. No offense to models who are thin or tall. I just think people need to realize how versatile a model can be!! As far as weight goes I do photographery as well I have shot some of those twigs, and I hate the fact they have no curves!! What is your opinion on this as photograper or model??

Sorry, but I'm lost...

What, exactly, is the photographer's job?  Making you look tall or creating an image that looks good? 

My opinion is that priority goes to making a great image, and if you appear to be your natural height in the process then so be it.  If I shoot you, I'm not interested in making you look tall, I'm interested in playing up your strengths.  Why go through the trouble of trying to make you look tall when you're not?  Sure, you can play tricks with angles, but if the stipulation on a shot is that you have to look tall, then you're compromising the overall integrity of the image for the sake of not appearing the way you naturally are.  I'm not sure I understand the point of that.  What's wrong with a great image that just so happens to make you appear at your natural height? 

I mean, really, if I want a photo of a model who looks like she's 5'9" or 5'10" then I'll get... waitforitwaitforitwaitforit... a model who is 5'9" or 5'10".

I don't think it shows a model's versatility when a photographer has to "get down on the ground" and whatnot to create the illusion that a short model is taller than she is.  That shows the versatility of the photographer.  So what is it that photographers need to realize?  That you're short and want to look tall in your photos?  Okay.  Duly noted.

Still, I'm curious... what's wrong with being short and looking short?  If it's a good image, then why would you even care?

Aug 23 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Darkdesire wrote:

first off I'm not referring to clothing model as you can see I do artistic nudes. We all know runway fashion you have to be tall. I'm talking about projects to where height don't matter.

P.S its not that hard to make a model look tall its a matter of common sense.

THen if you're talking about projects to where height don't matter,then why are you worried about a photographer trying to make you look taller?

Aug 27 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Alright...I'm sorry OP, but in none of your photos do you look tall. Granted, in some of them you can't tell that you're 4'11" because there is nothing to compare you to that gives a height reference, but you don't look tall in any of them. Some photographers prefer short curvy girls, and some prefer us tall thin gals. Doesn't mean they don't "get it"...it just means they have a preference.

Aug 27 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

This model is 5'0"
Her hands give away here hight (if you ask me). Other than that, it is hard to tell.
https://www.jaysonpolansky.com/images/DSC_7603.jpg

Aug 27 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Morgan

Santa Monica, California, US

Darkdesire wrote:
As far as weight goes I do photographery as well I have shot some of those twigs, and I hate the fact they have no curves!! What is your opinion on this as photograper or model??

kinda harsh.

Aug 27 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Tiffany Cottey wrote:

kinda harsh.

Yeah, but if we call her a chubby little troll, we're all just being bitches... go figure...

Aug 28 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Study in Light

Portland, Oregon, US

My favorite model is only 5'1".

I always try to take pictures that make her seem taller.  Its easy.  Smoke and mirrors!  Or in this case, simple perspective.

The downside is that I have more shots up her nostrils than I care to ever see again.

Prime example:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060810/05/44db07bb9b504.jpg

Aug 28 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Darkdesire wrote:

so what if I'm th height of a chile, no offense but if you know your angels you would realize any model can look taller I'm not speaking of runway or anything if you read the post!

If you feel you need to be made to look taller, you realize you have a physical modeling shortcoming. Why do you need to look taller? For what you do, why aren't you happy seeing yourself represented as your actual height?

Aug 28 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Darkdesire wrote:
As far as weight goes I do photographery as well I have shot some of those twigs, and I hate the fact they have no curves!! What is your opinion on this as photograper or model??

My opinion is that I don't like being referred to as a twig. I think I do pretty well for being thin, thanks.

Aug 28 06 08:17 pm Link