Forums > General Industry > Photographers need to realize!!

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

To me the most important thing is that the model is proportionate and shapely 4'2", 5'2" or 6'2" does not matter to me if you are proportionate and shapely, and in many cases i would prefer the more petite model. Like many on MM and OMP I have a home studio with a 8' ceiling. A 5'8" model in heels is 6'2" wnd that does not leave much headroom. A 5'2" model gives me an extra 1' of headroom to work with for the lighting.
Unless ther is a reference point in the photo it is hard to tell a short model from a tall one in a photo. If you look at the last Miss Universe contest all the contestants were between 5'4" and 6' and all were beautiful, proportionate, fit and shapley

Aug 22 06 11:01 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Iris Swope wrote:

I did read the entire post...every single one....

That picture...was shot from the entire wrong angle to give you any height at all... it gave you midget arms!

Thats your opinion and the purpose was not to make me look tall in that image.

Aug 22 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Darkdesire wrote:

Thats your opinion and the purpose was not to make me look tall in that image.

But it made you look very short....shorter than any other photo you have up....

For the same reason you wouldn't post a photo that made you look overweight, then the viewer has overweight in their mind. If you post a "short" photo, they have in their mind that you look short.

Aug 22 06 11:04 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Iris Swope wrote:

But it made you look very short....shorter than any other photo you have up....

For the same reason you wouldn't post a photo that made you look overweight, then the viewer has overweight in their mind. If you post a "short" photo, they have in their mind that you look short.

Height was not the point, and I see your point, but I surpose I like it, and we all have our opinions.

Aug 22 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
That stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no Short Models
Don't want no Short Models
'Round here

um.....Just joking......and my Apologies to Randy Newman....

Actually I love short models  : )  They rock

Aug 22 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Bullhead Photography wrote:
Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
To love

That stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
And dirty little minds
'Round here

LMFAO...hahaha...thats funny.

Aug 22 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
Short Models got nobody
To love

That stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
And dirty little minds
'Round here

Somebody might be getting a call from Randy's lawyer!!!  lol  Very funny..

Aug 22 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:

Somebody might be getting a call from Randy's lawyer!!!  lol  Very funny..

We need to find a way to shoot Keith!!!

P.S love the new work my friend!

Aug 22 06 11:23 pm Link

Model

Linnea

Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, US

Speaking as another relatively short model, though not quite that short, I understand the difficulty in finding someone to make you come across as taller than you are.  Fortunately I have been very lucky with my photogs thusfar and only have one photo that makes me feel vertically challenged in my port, but it's the best damn body shot I've got for now!

Like all of the photographers posting before me have said, there's only so much one can do.  After a certain point of aiming the camera upwards, the angle just gets way too overdone and the shot is ruined, no matter how tall it makes the model look.

Likewise, as a shorter model, always keep angles in mind!  Even if your intent in an image is not to look taller, keep in mind that you ARE short and any angle that emphasizes that should be vigorously avoided.  No aiming down at you unless you're sitting with your legs pointing AWAY from the camera, or anywhere that's not straight at it.

Also, as others have already said and I'm just repeating/clarifying...proportions have a boatload to do with how you appear on camera.  A thinner person will appear taller simply because their limbs are slimmer.  Have you ever noticed how someone who's 6 feet tall can look about 5'9 because they're really heavy?  Horizontal weight detracts from the verticality of a person's image, no two ways about it.

I think that's enough out of me for now.

Aug 22 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

J Schumacher wrote:
I, for one, prefer short models.

Yeah, me too
takes fewer feet of rope

Aug 22 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Darkdesire  I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat.   

And I'm in Arizona  (cough  cough)

Aug 22 06 11:29 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

We all have different opinions here from experience or so on. I think its good to get suck input from others. I think depending what we are all going for many of us can do well even though many of us will amke a career out of this. I've always thought to get good images angels so on photographers and models should communicate.

Aug 22 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

We all have different opinions here from experience or so on. I think its good to get such input from others. I think depending what we are all going for many of us can do well even though many of us will amke a career out of this. I've always thought to get good images angels so on photographers and models should communicate.

Aug 22 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Linnea wrote:
Speaking as another relatively short model, though not quite that short, I understand the difficulty in finding someone to make you come across as taller than you are.  Fortunately I have been very lucky with my photogs thusfar and only have one photo that makes me feel vertically challenged in my port, but it's the best damn body shot I've got for now!

Like all of the photographers posting before me have said, there's only so much one can do.  After a certain point of aiming the camera upwards, the angle just gets way too overdone and the shot is ruined, no matter how tall it makes the model look.

Likewise, as a shorter model, always keep angles in mind!  Even if your intent in an image is not to look taller, keep in mind that you ARE short and any angle that emphasizes that should be vigorously avoided.  No aiming down at you unless you're sitting with your legs pointing AWAY from the camera, or anywhere that's not straight at it.

Also, as others have already said and I'm just repeating/clarifying...proportions have a boatload to do with how you appear on camera.  A thinner person will appear taller simply because their limbs are slimmer.  Have you ever noticed how someone who's 6 feet tall can look about 5'9 because they're really heavy?  Horizontal weight detracts from the verticality of a person's image, no two ways about it.

I think that's enough out of me for now.

Ok, I like causing trouble.....

But, you're about 5" taller than the OP....

5" is the difference between 5'5" (fashion agency throws your pics in the trash) and 5'10" (fashion agency loves you)

Question to photographers -
And when you length the legs by getting LOW...doesn't that shorten the arms?

Aug 22 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jerel J

Baltimore, Maryland, US

oldguysrule wrote:
macro photography?

guess no one else got it...

i snickered....

but anywayz...

simply put... work wit what you have...  and put forth the best image you can....

if a female is too ugly, tall, short, thin, fat, or whatever....  either learn ways to disguise that.. (angles help)....

or... come on a discussion board complaining bout hatin short models...  (i guess)

Aug 22 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i have this thing about looking up peoples noes EWWWWW buggers  lol smile

Aug 22 06 11:32 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Yes you like causing trouble. but noway in hell would I go with an agecy I prefer having a manager anyways. I know short models can be good cause my sister made it far in modeling and has return one thing I know is modeling is more then a body.

Aug 22 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Darkdesire  I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat.   

And I'm in Arizona  (cough  cough)

Thank you kindly! I know your in AZ I have been to bullhead city. Have not been there for a long time. I would love to go back to it!

Aug 22 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Darkdesire wrote:
Yes you like causing trouble. but noway in hell would I go with an agecy I prefer having a manager anyways. I know short models can be good cause my sister made it far in modeling and has return one thing I know is modeling is more then a body.

I wasn't suggesting an agency, I was making a comparison. But I understand that it may have looked that way...

What kind of modeling does your sister do? How far has she made it?

Aug 22 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Linnea

Iris Swope wrote:
Ok, I like causing trouble.....

But, you're about 5" taller than the OP....

5" is the difference between 5'5" (fashion agency throws your pics in the trash) and 5'10" (fashion agency loves you)

Question to photographers -
And when you length the legs by getting LOW...doesn't that shorten the arms?

Yeah....yeah ya do! tongue

Believe me I know I'm not in near the same position as the OP...but I am still grouped into the "shorty" model category.  I know I can't walk into a fashion agency and expect to even get my book looked at...they'd take one look at me, see I'm not 5'10, and laugh me out the door.

Aug 22 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Iris Swope wrote:

I wasn't suggesting an agency, I was making a comparison. But I understand that it may have looked that way...

What kind of modeling does your sister do? How far has she made it?

She did fashion, commercial editoral, and print. She also did a small runway show. she did magazine covers and was once with an agency she got back into after being gone for three yrs.

Aug 22 06 11:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Find a better photographer.  There are so many out there.  Don't approach it as a "PETITE" issue at all, in email, on profile, anywhere.  It's understood your height, measurements, etc.  Find a photographer to stick with and let him help you develope your port... seek out photogs that have petites in their portfolio...or maybe blantantly ask around.  But, try not to make it an issue to handle.  It's not, and it shouldn't be for them, IF they're good.
You won't be the next superdupermodel at your height....no Cindy Crawford, etc...but you can definately hit the mark and set a new standard for petites.  It's rare, but it is done.

Aug 22 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Quick: How tall do you think she is? big_smile
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060722/17/44c2a554e7ac4.jpg
No cheating if you know of her. tongue

Aug 22 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Nihilus wrote:

5'3 maybe?

Aug 22 06 11:44 pm Link

Model

Linnea

Nihilus wrote:

I'd say somewhere around 5 feet....definitely shorter than me...at least that's how this pic makes her look.

Aug 22 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Nihilus wrote:

Not very tall, her forearms are short, and from her knee to ankle is short...
Between 5' and 5'4"

Aug 22 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Meh...not bad. According to guesses, I've succeeded in adding from 3-7 inches to the model's actual height (4'9").

Perhaps I need to work harder...granted it wasn't my predominant intent to focus on suggesting a greater height...but it kinda goes to show ya. smile

Aug 22 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Darkdesire wrote:
Ok so I get this email tonight saying that a photographer gets his best work from tall thin models. Understood, but my perspective is a lot of photographers do not know how to make us petite models look tall. I have had many photographers make me look shorter then what I am, and with that said I have had some awesome ones that were wiiling to get down on the ground and make me look tall. No offense to models who are thin or tall. I just think people need to realize how versatile a model can be!! As far as weight goes I do photographery as well I have shot some of those twigs, and I hate the fact they have no curves!! What is your opinion on this as photograper or model??

I wish I had done a shoot with you before commenting,  It is such an easy answer when Im shooting, I shoot with out something for comparison (make sense?)....we need to shoot together soon..............I have waited too long ....LOL

Mac

Aug 22 06 11:58 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

wolff wrote:

I wish I had done a shoot with you before commenting,  It is such an easy answer when Im shooting, I shoot with out something for comparison (make sense?)....we need to shoot together soon..............I have waited too long ....LOL

Mac

I know we do we have been waiting a long time my friend! We will sometime this year I promise I'll bring my sister if ya want me too! ;-)

Aug 23 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

In my experience - what is most important is the frame of reference and the model's body. If the model is fully nude with nothing else in the scene to compare to, then there is no way to tell how tall or short he/she is. When shooting women, I find that if their bust and hips are at least 10 inches smaller than their waist, they'll look taller.

As far as shooting at the model's waist level - that's just plain solid advice for anything you shoot. That's why pictures from old medium format waist level cameras look so good.

Aug 23 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

what, not ONE chuckle for my rope comment?  sad

Aug 23 06 12:14 am Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

SLE Photography wrote:
what, not ONE chuckle for my rope comment?  sad

I liked it. smile

Aug 23 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I would need to know your torso to leg ratio to make a judgement. Many petite women have shorter legs inch for inch than taller women. It is hard to explain, but if what the photographer wants is a lot of leg most times you find that in taller models.

This isn't always true though, look at Christina Ricci, she has very long legs and is 5 foot 2 inches. She is the exception, not the rule.

I work with models of all sizes, but I am looking more for giraffes and gazelles rather than kittens and otters,

Star

Aug 23 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

um, shoot with short photographers like me? tongue

Aug 23 06 12:51 am Link

Model

Ana Paula

Iris Swope wrote:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060608/19/4488bcc57d593_m.jpg

Sorry, but no angle is going to make you look significantly taller. You're the height of a child...

Generally, if you're really skinny, it will make you look a bit taller. But in your case, it still may not work, because it would add to the child look...

I am short and I dont think I look short in pictures at all and most of people(that don't read my stats) think I am about 5'7 lol.

Aug 23 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Stephie,

Stop by and I'll make you look taller, I can build a rack to stretch you  ;-)

Leo

Aug 23 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

It's all about angles. I love angles. It also depends on what kind of shoot your doing. I'm one of those photogs that rather do shoots with taller models because I'm interested in fashion/high-fashion/editorial shoots. I know how to make a girl look taller.. but I shouldnt have to always get down in the dirt just for that when making the model look taller isnt the objective of the shoot.

I'm a 5'6" model so I can understand both views. When I first entered modeling I was like, "That's not fair, they should give shorter girls a chance!"  It's up to the model to know her angles and ways to making herself appear taller. I can make myself look taller if needed and my body type helps that.

Dont blame photographers for wanting tall models. blame the industry itself. They set the standard. A tall model in a couture shoot will definetly be better than a shorter girl doing the same shoot.

Shorter girls shouldnt take it personal. Certain looks are needed for different things. I got an ad campaign for BEING shorter. They specifically wanted girls no taller than 5'7". so sometimes it can work out smile

Aug 23 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

There are at least 7 images of my wife...denoted by the little ♥.  She stands 5'4".
To bad...most agencies had petite divisions for years until the late 80s and the marketing world ruled it out.  Althought my wife does have a print agent...more commercial print since her height alone does not get her into the fashion casting, even thought a top fashion agency reps her.  They just liked her...and they send her out for the commercial stuff and beauty work.
However she's been a working actress for over 20 years....and still on the verge of that big oppotunity...never say break!...cause in our experience...you car wil break, the sink will leak the cat wiil need an operation....it goes on...so "cancel that" as my wife says and just stay positive.

Aug 23 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Aug 23 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Ana Paula wrote:

I am short and I dont think I look short in pictures at all and most of people(that don't read my stats) think I am about 5'7 lol.

But you're still taller than the OP, and you didn't post any pictures that gave you midget arms smile

Aug 23 06 03:03 am Link