Forums > General Industry > Insta-Photo-Killers!!

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

as we all know, there are some things in this world that instantly kill photos. 
things that don't even give it a fighting chance at life.
terrible, terrible things that kill photos faster than lighting your camera on fire and drop kicking it into a boiling lava pit

One of those photo killers I've found is the...

Cow-EYES! Dear caught in headlights! O_O! whatever you want to call it. Some models just can't "pose" with their eyes no matter how hard you work with them...and you can forget any chance at conveying an emotion out of a photo

ahhhhh had got it out, rant over.

Photographers, Stylists, and Models- if you have found anything that just slays a photoshoot before it can even stand up, share it.

Aug 20 06 02:00 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

having boogers hanging from your nose never looks good either.  Just so people know...

Aug 20 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Richard X Moore

Saginaw Township North, Michigan, US

...Stacy wrote:
having boogers hanging from your nose never looks good either.  Just so people know...

I wouldn't say never, but it does take a very talented model to pull it off.

Aug 20 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Sarah Boling

Guthrie, Kentucky, US

Bad teeth! Someone who has a gorgeous smile until til you catch a glimse of her teeth. And yellowed teeth count in this too!

Aug 20 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Sarah Boling wrote:
Bad teeth! Someone who has a gorgeous smile until til you catch a glimse of her teeth. And yellowed teeth count in this too!

Thank god for magic lasso and Hue Saturation wink

Aug 20 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

J n X Photography wrote:

I also think the white wronkled bedsheet is a deal-breaker for me.

Aug 20 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Pat Thielen wrote:

I also think the white wronkled bedsheet is a deal-breaker for me.

If the model is laying on it, no problem for me.  If it's nailed to the wall behind her for a backdrop--forget it!

Aug 20 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Showing me your brain through your nostrils is a cool pose. Yuck, head down just a bit please!!

Aug 20 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Michael L. wrote:
Showing me your brain through your nostrils is a cool pose. Yuck, head down just a bit please!!

Mmmmm.... Brainz.... BRAINZZZZZZZZ....

Aug 20 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

the old stubbly armpits do it for me, runs screamin from the studio, yucko.

Aug 20 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:

Stubble, yeah. But I don't mind if the hair looks natural. Body hair doesn't bother me, stubble does.

I guessing I'm in the minority on this one.

Aug 20 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Soma Non-studios

Emeryville, California, US

J n X Photography wrote:

Definitely. Some people can't help having bad teeth. hmm

Aug 20 06 05:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Los Angeles, California, US

window pane shadows on backgrounds

particularly when not much else is there (competing / filling...adding to background)and the shadows look puposeful, as though someone thunk it the most novel idea'r.

Aug 20 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Nudes with hanging strings.

Aug 20 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Tim Hammond wrote:

not a good look indeed.

Aug 20 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Liquid Warehouse

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:

nothing worse than a spotty ass or unkept bikini line ewwwww, saw the results of a friends shoot it was not nice, took him ages to clean up in PS

Aug 20 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

Xavialune

Jenny Rose Photography wrote:

no matter what I do, I will ALWAYS have yellow teeth. Seriously, I am a coffee fanatic and no matter what I do the yellow never comes out! sad

Aug 20 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

IZONUFOTO

Kissimmee, Florida, US

For me its panty lines and bra strap marks...no matter how many times you tell the model to wear loose fitting clothes to the shoot.

Aug 20 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

IZONUFOTO wrote:
For me its panty lines and bra strap marks...no matter how many times you tell the model to wear loose fitting clothes to the shoot.

This is true -- marks like these will really ruin an otherwise great shot, and they can be rather annoying to remove in post production. I also really dislike tan lines.

Aug 20 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

https://www.makezine.com/blog/122999905_95cf935301.jpg

Aug 20 06 06:25 pm Link

Model

Charisteen

Park Forest, Illinois, US

OMG !!

I got one:

A female with her nails done... a long time ago !!  LOL

missing nails, chipped paint, mis-matches

I love done fingers.  It adds completion to your look.

But no nails is better than damaged ones... YUCK !

Aug 20 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

For me it's shadows not meaning to be there.  Kind of like using a flash mounted on the camera without a flash bracket and shooting vertical.

Aug 20 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Strong farmer tan, even when you tell the model to use her sunscreen as she is leaving to go boating before the shoot, doh! This is a royal pain to clean up in PS.
Boogers and teeth are easy in comparison.

Aug 20 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

I must have one of those Voltron cameras!
Uh, photo-killer = no show

Aug 20 06 10:43 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Morgan

Santa Monica, California, US

Jenny Rose Photography wrote:

agreed. well, unless they can afford to have otherwise.

~Tiff C.

Aug 20 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

Miss Gi-G-Spot

Scotland, Georgia, US

The backdrop unclipping its-self and falling on your head mid shot.

hmm Yeah....

Aug 21 06 03:55 am Link

Model

KAT-SUI

San Francisco, California, US

IZONUFOTO wrote:

Aug 21 06 04:00 am Link

Model

KAT-SUI

San Francisco, California, US

IZONUFOTO wrote:

I agree. Loose fitting underwear or no bra at all are a must on the way to the shoot.

Aug 21 06 04:01 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

And I quote:

"Can you take off your bra? It'll look better. Its OK, we'll delete any of the shots where your breasts might be showing".

Insta-shoot-killer right there wink

Aug 21 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Justin Huang wrote:
Cow-EYES! Dear caught in headlights! O_O! whatever you want to call it. Some models just can't "pose" with their eyes no matter how hard you work with them...

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/mollie2s.jpg

Ask the model to squint slightly, a stylist taught me that trick many years ago and it often solves the immediate problem. I agree that the "caught in the headlights" look is a deal killer, but when you are shooting new faces it happens more often then we care to admit.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/molly7s.jpg

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Aug 21 06 07:13 am Link

Model

Linnea

Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, US

Justin Huang wrote:
Cow-EYES! Dear caught in headlights! O_O! whatever you want to call it. Some models just can't "pose" with their eyes no matter how hard you work with them...and you can forget any chance at conveying an emotion out of a photo

Oh dear god I hope I've never had that during a shoot.  I do have a great Old Time Photo I got done at Six Flags with said look plastered on my face. (This was my pre-model days, mind you).

And yes, squinting just a tad definitely does wonders for the 100 yard stare.

Aug 21 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Fisher wrote:

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/mollie2s.jpg

Ask the model to squint slightly, a stylist taught me that trick many years ago and it often solves the immediate problem. I agree that the "caught in the headlights" look is a deal killer, but when you are shooting new faces it happens more often then we care to admit.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/molly7s.jpg

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

These are wonderful examples and the advice sounds very good. Thanks

Dan

Sep 07 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Star

the attitude:

and I quote from the TFCD letter (it is 6 pages) I send out to all prospecitve trade models:

"Attitude: Yes crap happens, but I ASK that all major problems are left at the door. I am very directive in how I work. I may ask you to hold a pose, or freeze. If I say freeze, stop moving, don’t go back into your “pose.” I have seen something I like and want to shoot it, that is a good thing.

Things not to say on the day of the shoot:

1. I have a radio interview, club opening; pick up my daughter that I have to do after this. I have to leave at 7pm. I expect to be your first and last commitment on the day if we shoot together.

2. So, what are these being used for? I have never sold an image, but I have invested tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of thousand of hours getting to the level I am. Soon I will have a gallery show, you might be in it. I might even sell your image for a few hundred dollars. Trust me, I will not be making a profit any time soon. I do shoots like this not just to learn but to eventually build up a gallery and commercial business which means yes, your shot may at some point be sold. Hasn’t happened yet, but it could.

3. I don’t want to wear (fill in the blank.) Well I did’t want to turn thirty, we all have our crosses to bear. Please, please, please just trust me. I actually do know what I am doing. Don’t waste your energy and mine on an argument on what we are styling, I need you to look a certain way and that is it.

4. I don’t like my (fill in the blank.) Make-up, hair, shoes, small dogs, if I place it on or near you please just find a way to make it work for you. If you want to be fierce you have to be able to own any and all situations.

5. I don’t want to do (fill in the blank.) I will never ask you to expose yourself to ridicule, however if I need you to cheat to the camera while jumping on a trampoline than just go with it. I am trying to break models out of the still over stylized poses I am often seen shooting. I want to have some fun damnit.

Now if these rules scare you, it is ok. You don’t have to shoot with me, I understand if I am asking too much for you. But here come so more things:

Things not to do before a shoot:
1. Drink yourself sick, please don’t drink any alcohol for 48 hours before a shoot together. No drugs of any kind, well caffeine is ok, before shooting with me. It does show on your face, and in your energy level when we shoot.

2. Please get a FULL NIGHTS sleep, at least 50% of the time models show up at my shoots tired and cranky.

3. Try not to do physical exercise that you are unfamiliar with before my shoot. If you don’t normally press 250, don’t try right before my shoot.

4. No new piercing within 1 week of shooting with me, I reserve the right to ask you to remove any and all visible piercings while we shoot together.

5. Need to get your roots done, do them at least 48 hours before our shoot.

6. Long plane trips, see full nights sleep."

Sep 07 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

6 PAGES of that??? Wow.. no offense intended at all, but I'm amazed you get ANY models with that kind of lecturing. I'd run screaming after reading that even if you were Herb Ritts!

Sep 07 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Miles Chandler wrote:
6 PAGES of that??? Wow.. no offense intended at all, but I'm amazed you get ANY models with that kind of lecturing. I'd run screaming after reading that even if you were Herb Ritts!

Good, that is the point. The point is to weed out flakes before they happen. Every situation mentioned happened more than once. I got tired of it. Most models thank me for being so upfront with them

Star

Sep 07 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Star wrote:

Good, that is the point. The point is to weed out flakes before they happen. Every situation mentioned happened more than once. I got tired of it. Most models thank me for being so upfront with them

Star

So your TFCD letter is the instant photo-killer?  or you just felt like sharing?

Sep 08 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Allie Cat

San Diego, California, US

I thought it was good. Straight to the point. Its disrespectful to show up to a shoot haphazardly and just expect the photog to fix your evenings mistakes in PS

Sep 08 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Justin Huang wrote:
as we all know, there are some things in this world that instantly kill photos. 
things that don't even give it a fighting chance at life.
terrible, terrible things that kill photos faster than lighting your camera on fire and drop kicking it into a boiling lava pit

One of those photo killers I've found is the...

ahhhhh had got it out, rant over.

Photographers, Stylists, and Models- if you have found anything that just slays a photoshoot before it can even stand up, share it.

I found out that having the SAME expression over and over kills a photo faster than anything else. the lighting, pose and body can be great, but if the model has that "um" face the whole pic is shot. I know because I used to be guilty of doing that!! Nothing a little practice and loosening up couldnt fix smile

Sep 08 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Miles Chandler wrote:

I find his requirements very reasonable.  more than half of what he asks for are thing most photographer THINK and grumble to themselves abotu but never mention to the model.  He just let's it be known up front what he expects.  I'm sure that that might rub some models the wrong way but the ones that don't take it personally and agree to shoot with him know exactly what to expect before hand.

Sep 08 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

ROFLMAF!!!!!!!

Sep 08 06 06:15 am Link