Forums > General Industry > Models, does equipment make a difference to you?

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

It's not about the equiptment, it's about the art. I posted a link in another thread to some amazing work done by top photographers like Ansel Adams and Helmut Newton with Polaroid cameras. I have seen some incredible images done with pinhole cameras made out of a shoe box!

Photographers who are too concerned with hardware over images are sometimes called Measurebators - but I don't think we even have a word for models who are concerned with the photographer's equiptment. If anyone thinks of a good name for 'em, we could add it to the MM Lexicon alongside "wronkled" and "sluggo".

Aug 19 06 06:20 am Link

Model

Meagan M Power

Denver, Colorado, US

I feel that you kinda lose the art of it all with all the new stuff.  I guess I'm alone on that.  I don't know much about electronics and gadgets (that's why I am a diesel mechanic, not auto!) but in the society we inhabit today, it seems anyone can pick up a digital camera and shoot a good.  If you can pick up some of the old stuff and shoot a picture manually, as opposed to all the automatic stuff, then you seem to be interested in the art of it all, not just getting it done with, making the buck, and taking good shots.  Then again, I was raised country style, so what do I know, lol. . .

Aug 19 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

edit.

deleted - double post due to MM hiccup.

Aug 19 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Meagan M Power wrote:
I feel that you kinda lose the art of it all with all the new stuff.  I guess I'm alone on that.  I don't know much about electronics and gadgets (that's why I am a diesel mechanic, not auto!) but in the society we inhabit today, it seems anyone can pick up a digital camera and shoot a good.  If you can pick up some of the old stuff and shoot a picture manually, as opposed to all the automatic stuff, then you seem to be interested in the art of it all, not just getting it done with, making the buck, and taking good shots.  Then again, I was raised country style, so what do I know, lol. . .

Oh wow, a gymnast, diesel mechanic, with a totally souped-up VW Beetle named, "Pinky."  Incredible!!

Meagan, you are fairly close to the mark on the "new stuff."  It all makes life easier for GWCs, but, for better photographers, the technical and artistic aspects of first-rate photography haven't changed at all.  Film or digital;  flash bulbs or electronic flash;  manual or auto focus;  SLR or TLL;  the photographer and his talents and skill still make all the difference.  To quote the old saw, "It's not the violin; it's the violinist!"

Aug 19 06 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Lucrecia wrote:
I think it's all about the result...
It doesn't matter if it's a disposable camera.
Lucrecia

Smartest statement made on this thread thus far!

Aug 19 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

James Graham wrote:
WKOSFQIT?
Don't make me tell you wht it means,
Theda WILL send me a warning...

It scares me that I know what this means!  sad

Okay... I'll chance it...

WhatKindOfStupidF__ingQuestionIsThat?

Aug 19 06 07:16 am Link

Model

Vale Anoai

Minneola, Florida, US

Lucrecia wrote:
I think it's all abou the result...It doesn't matter if its with a disposable camera tongue

Lucrecia

I completely agree with you. One of the best pictures ever taken of me was actually taken with a disposable camera. Go figure.

Aug 19 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

tripstar

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Stevens Photography wrote:
"It's not the violin; it's the violinist!"

I tried taking a photo with my violin once and realized that I'm just a GWV.

For $5 I'll play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for you... for $50 I'll stop.

Aug 19 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I wish I could find a photo of Philippe Halsman's lare format TLR...

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/

Aug 19 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

When I take my car to a mechanic I don't particulary care what kind of tools he uses as long as the car gets fixed.

A model shouldn't care what kind of equipment a photographer uses as long as she get the images she paid for.

I would point that out to anyone who questions why and what I'm using on any given shoot. Paid or not!

Aug 19 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Model showed up for a shoot this evening.  I told her we'd start out with some portaits with the view camera, then shoot some 120 flim.  She objected, said she didn't want any "old fashioned" stuff.  She thought a professional should know how to use modern equipment.  Pulled out the 20D and she was happy as a jay bird.  Kinda made me feel old.

I guess if the model is paying you to shoot for her port she might not want the look you get from film. But if you are paying her for your stuff why should she care ?

Mike

Aug 19 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Actually, most of my subjects are quite fascinated by my array of toy/vintage cameras -- the different types are clunky, funky and fun to look at and i think i explain my reasons for using them quite well.  I think 90% of the people i shoot work with me specifically for the results the toycameras give...But then I don't spend much time working with dumb, 18-year-old wanabes either.

Aug 19 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

One thing I have noticed is models for the most part don't think about the photographers equipment. When ever I asked a model about an image in there port that I liked. And say what did the photographer use to shoot that ? They always say I don't know or I don't remember.

Mike

Aug 19 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

removed member

missing fingers product wrote:
should have told her to bail.

my first thought too.  she would have been gone.

Aug 19 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

I tend to explain a bit of technical stuff to my models to make up time and make them feel comfortable. Most models I've worked with are mildly curious about equipment. If a client is paying full price I'll take the picture with whatever we argreed on, if a tfp model objects to my camera I'd cancel the shoot on the spot.

Aug 19 06 08:28 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

Taking another stance here.... Of all the photogs that I've worked with since I started modeling 3 1/2 months ago, it's only been the GWC's that worked without higher end cameras (primarily digital SLRs).  For me, it doesn't bother me if the photog doesn't work with D-SLR, but I have to admit that based on the experiences I've had so far, if the photog shows up with a 2 megapixel camera, I immediately start to wonder...

The one photo that I am thinking of literally showed up to the photo shoot with 2 rolls of film and only a telephoto lense for his manual SLR.  He shot one roll, then shot with his girlfriend's 2 mp Canon P&S, then "shot" about 100 photos with his manual SLR again only to realize that he never put the new roll of film into the camera.  We did the shoot over again and when he ran out of film (which was very fast) he used my own digital 7 mp P&S Nikon to take a few more shots. All the while, he kept asking me to "lower my bottoms" to take full nudes (out in only a semi-private wooded area. (I didn't)

The ONLY photos that I've gotten from him so far are the photos from my own digital camera and even these came out terrible - out of focus, terrible composition, etc..

Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal

Aug 19 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

DAN DOYLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Albany, New York, US

Most all the models i shoot , could care less if i shot them with a my nikon D2X's.... or if i used a pinhole camera..... as long as i know what the result will end up like.... thats the way it should be..... the photog doing his/her job....the model doing theirs....
thus a succesfull session........
models need worry about delivering true expression,  being ontime and preparred  not the fstop setting selected.... LOL!

Aug 19 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

litlaur wrote:
If I like the photographer's work, I don't care what they use.

Good answer...

Aug 19 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Ailgif Studios

Portland, Arkansas, US

I know she's a paying customer but I think you gave her too much power over what you do.  She's paying you because she trusts you to know what you're doing and for an end product she can use.  I would have just explained what I do and why I do it.  I guess that's allways a good idea to discuss up front.

I find it rather arrogant that she said that to you to be honest.

Aug 19 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I once made a camera out of a banana and used dry leaves as film. The model looked at me suspiciously when I photographed her with it (what a snob!). Regretably I mixed it up with my other equipment and ate it by accident.
Damn, I know those would have been great photos too!
Thus I never do TFB anymore.

Aug 19 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

oldguysrule wrote:

analog

ANALOG!

HAR HAR HAR...

I love MM!

Aug 19 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

CAN IT TAKE A PICTURE?
GOOD. LET'S GET TO WORK.

Aug 19 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Truitt

San Antonio, Texas, US

If they are paying for good images then I expect to be allowed to shoot any equipment or style I want to shoot. If I want to use my medium format and convert to digital later for a certain shot that is what I will use. If a client wants to tell me about my lack of strobes( have 10' windows for natural light in my studio) or my camera angles I would just tell them to go home. In fact it happened this week and I told them if they like to style and look of my images then we can do the shoot, if not find another photographer. Its that simple.

Aug 19 06 09:53 pm Link