Forums > General Industry > Models, does equipment make a difference to you?

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Dean Solo wrote:

Not familiar with those, is a pencil digital or film?

Well, you hold a pencil with your digits, right?

Aug 19 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
lol yep... intentional tease... i have a rollei tlr 2.8 (zeiss planar)
i love it

Those Rollei Planars aren't so bad ... if you can't find a Xenotar.   :::::ducking:::::

Sanders (who has a Rolleiflex problem).

Aug 19 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
My favorite is a Kodak Duaflex II with Kodet Lens, and I never put film in it.

https://mishilo.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/54768891.2006010917733w.jpg

Yeah, I had one of those. It was just a pain in the ass opening and closing the little furnace in the back to put coal in every time I wanted to take a pic.

Aug 19 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
My favorite is a Kodak Duaflex II with Kodet Lens, and I never put film in it.

https://mishilo.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/54768891.2006010917733w.jpg

Are you a film or digital shooter?

Aug 19 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Sanders McNew wrote:
Sanders (who has a Rolleiflex problem).

lmao... indeed!

Aug 19 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Dean Solo wrote:

Yeah, I had one of those. It was just a pain in the ass opening and closing the little furnace in the back to put coal in every time I wanted to take a pic.

always leave that to the assistant! geesh!

Aug 19 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Imagine her reaction if you'd pulled out a Holga.

I shoot a 5x7 view camera for studio shoots.  (See avatar.)  If anything, it usually evokes questions, and interest, and a bit of ritual -- never had anybody walk out.  But I have had models decline invitations when told that they would not be getting a CD with 500+ images in color from the shoot.  Alas.

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net/portraits

Aug 19 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

Arobeck wrote:
you ARE the photographer
She is the model
establish that from the start and get on with the project.

If the model has a degree in photography and talks 'smack' then there may be room for debate.

RIGHT ON!  I've never gone thru that with a model before.....EVER (30+ years)....but then again, I have a degree in applied commercial/technical photography.....AND I don't take technical shit off the "talent".  Or- is that us?!!

I have had them ask me what I was doing, thinking, puzzling over...and so I try to explain a quick thumbnail explaination as to what/why on my side of the camera.

Aug 19 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Aug 19 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

tomkatproductions wrote:
RIGHT ON!  I've never gone thru that with a model before.....EVER (30+ years)....but then again, I have a degree in applied commercial/technical photography.....AND I don't take technical shit off the "talent".  Or- is that us?!!

I have had them ask me what I was doing, thinking, puzzling over...and so I try to explain a quick thumbnail explaination as to what/why on my side of the camera.

I don't waste my time explaining technical stuff to models. I just pull out my 20D and then I show them my camera as well.

.....that usualy keep's em quiet.

Aug 19 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Further to my Rolleiflex fixation:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=921561

You have to admit, they are glorious cameras.

Sanders.

Aug 19 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Sanders McNew wrote:
Further to my Rolleiflex fixation:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=921561

You have to admit, they are glorious cameras.

Sanders.

Beautiful!

Aug 19 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

Dean Solo wrote:

I don't waste my time explaining technical stuff to models. I just pull out my 20D and then I show them my camera as well.

.....that usualy keep's em quiet.

Aug 19 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

tomkatproductions wrote:

Hahahah!  Is that a telephoto is your pocket, or.........?

Aug 19 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

tomkatproductions wrote:
Hahahah!  Is that a telephoto is your pocket, or.........?

No silly, it's my Bananacam.

Aug 19 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

And the one piece oc camera equipment that almost always gets a model's attention?

I have a Speed Graphic (for those of us that actually know what they are; the rest of you will have to Google it) that was modded for aerial combat photography during WW-2, via the USAF in Europe.  It has lots of "character" and is prominently displayed...hence the feedback.

I can guarantee it's a one-of-a kind!!

Aug 19 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

how about the Crown Graphic?

Aug 19 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Model showed up for a shoot this evening.  I told her we'd start out with some portaits with the view camera, then shoot some 120 flim.  She objected, said she didn't want any "old fashioned" stuff.  She thought a professional should know how to use modern equipment.  Pulled out the 20D and she was happy as a jay bird.  Kinda made me feel old.

Oh the irony. There are times when I feel just the opposite. I use a Canon 5d and 20d but also have a Medium Format. I feel most models take me "more seriously" (if anybody can take me seriously) and view me/the process as more professional when I'm using the Medium Format. Good thing you didn't pull out the 10d...now THAT'S old fashioned smile

Aug 19 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Remember David Hockney's work with a Polaroid SX-70?  Makes a Holga look upmarket.

Aug 19 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Model showed up for a shoot this evening.  I told her we'd start out with some portaits with the view camera, then shoot some 120 flim.  She objected, said she didn't want any "old fashioned" stuff.  She thought a professional should know how to use modern equipment.  Pulled out the 20D and she was happy as a jay bird.  Kinda made me feel old.

I guess that's not that odd though. Whenever a model shows up and changes into her wardrobe, the first thing out of my mouth is, "you're not going to wear that are you?" When she complains I advise her that tube tops and bike shorts are so 8 minutes ago. Then I turn on some Donna Summer and shoot her with my Polaroid mini-portrait camera and all is well. Especially after she views her passport photo.

Aug 19 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

James Graham wrote:
WKOSFQIT?

Don't make me tell you wht it means, Theda WILL send me a warning...

[chuckles]

Aug 19 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

https://photoworks.ws/images/CB4x5_002861w175.jpg

I find that models get a kick out of having the big ones staring at them. The slower pace needs a little 'splainin' thou.

Aug 19 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hey, some photographers can take better images with a disposable camera from Wal-Mart than others can manage with $10,000 worth of equipment.

A photographers WORK speaks for itself.

Aug 19 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
https://photoworks.ws/images/CB4x5_002861w175.jpg

I find that models get a kick out of having the big ones staring at them. The slower pace needs a little 'splainin' thou.

Right on...I have a 4x5 that has been sitting in the box since the day I purchased it 5 years ago. Not that I am adverse to using it, it's just I have not gotten around to it yet. Let's face it....you can do things with a view camera that you can't do with any other camera.

Mister Avedon (the remarkable) used one right up to the end to shoot some of his fashion features. It just takes a certain amount of concentration to wield one of those when shooting fashion.

Aug 19 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

James Graham wrote:
WKOSFQIT?

Is it.... "what kind of stupid facking question is this?"?

Aug 19 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

This happened to me once, specifically.   I had a manual camera out (leica) and the model's eyes got wide.  She said, "you're not going to shoot me with that are you?"
I was like, "Uh yeah, why not?" 
"I wasn't expecting you were going to use a toy camera."

18 year-olds... aren't they cute?

Aug 19 06 01:42 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Only if I have to help carry it.

Aug 19 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

One more model I hope I never meet.

Aug 19 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

e-string wrote:
Equipment makes a difference to me if I show up and he has a point-and-shoot and a bright light on a tripod he got at Menards. smile

I use cameras far less sophisticated than point and shoots, as well as $5 flood lights from T + T Hardware on East Carson Street.  It hasn't made a difference to the long list of models i've worked with so far, MayanLee and Kumi among them.

Aug 19 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

oldguysrule wrote:
how about the Crown Graphic?

With a Polaroid 545 back and T55 p/n film, it can't be beat.

http://www.erocrush.com/nude_update_5-06/muscles.jpg

above link is nws

Aug 19 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

I like to mix up equipment use, but then, the model photography work that I've done has been primarily with artists who model as well, so they are more than receptive.

EXAMPLE

I own a few thousand dollars worth of lighting equipment, in three complete sets with accessories: monolights, wireless hotshoe/portable-strobe units, hotlight studio floods; this said, I've gotten comments specifically on the great lighting of a shot I lit with a $20 500 watt shoplight from Home Depot (that wonderful seller of photographic equipment/accessories) [PHOTO SHOWN BELOW]. I primarilly shoot with a Canon 1DsMII, so I just thought it was funny that I was shooting with camera and a selection of lenses which are worth about as much as my car, and the light which cost less than my dinner last night is what people noticed. Just goes to prove, sometimes it's how you use what you have. I've shot underwater photos with disposable underwater camera and made enlargements of sting-rays as framed art. I've also shot using a 3 megapixel digital point and shoot through a pair of polarized sunglasses on a beach beacause the pop-out lens didn't take filters (and I didn't have any with me) I made a 13x16 enlargement of the photo (of Mayan Ruins) and also hung it on the wall. It makes me sick to see people at Best Buy purchasing (buying would be redundant) $1,400 DSLR packages and then just shooting on auto. Honestly, buy the $300-$600 camera and pay me or some other photographer the difference in the price to show you how to use it, you'll get better photos!
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060731/09/44ce1407afc4a.jpg

I don't currently have a film darkroom at my studio, but as soon as a move into a new place I'm setting up a B&W darkroom to use with my medium format camera, and buying a viewcamera, because really I miss it from school (1.5 years ago).

Aug 19 06 03:02 am Link

Photographer

James Monahan Photography

Wichita, Kansas, US

Ya know... I started out with bs lights and backdrops and between then and now if anything my models are more nervous. When it all looked beat up they were cool with it thinking we were on the same level. Now when the come out and see softboxes and monolights it makes em nervous.

Aug 19 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Black Ricco wrote:
This happened to me once, specifically.   I had a manual camera out (leica) and the model's eyes got wide.  She said, "you're not going to shoot me with that are you?"
I was like, "Uh yeah, why not?" 
"I wasn't expecting you were going to use a toy camera."

18 year-olds... aren't they cute?

Oh nooo, he's baaaaack! *ha,ha* Lol.

I have to agree, I am not about to let some little brat start dictating what kind of camera I should use. Might as well hand it to her and let her figure out wich is the front and back.

I posted in another thread about how Helmut Newton would show up for Vogue assignments with camera's held together with tape. I don't think anyone ever questioned his choice of equipment or ability.

Aug 19 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

If a model complains to me about my camera, I tell them not to worry because I don't have any film in the camera anyway.

Aug 19 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Roach Images

Austin, Texas, US

I guess my Sony DSC-P100 would have freaked her out then? 
When I outgrow it, I'll buy a new one.  In the meantime, I just tell the models, I am an amateur.  Which I obviously am.

I do have my father in law's ancient Canon, which if it worked, would probably make some great pictures. Maybe I should just wear it around my neck to look official until I can afford a nice DSLR?

Hey, I'm tryin.

Aug 19 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

We live in a Clueless, instant gratification, Quantity of Quality world.. One that I am still fighting with every ounce of my being.. at least the parts I can control..

There was a model here that said she NEVER shot with anyone who shot real film..

It is a sign of the times.. And not a good sign..

Aug 19 06 04:19 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

James Graham wrote:
WKOSFQIT?

Cspine wrote:
Is it.... "what kind of stupid facking question is this?"?

In line with the above, my immediate response is STFD and STFU.

And I'm not even a photographer.

Good lord ...

Aug 19 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Thread title, "Models, does equipment make a difference to you?"

Response score:
photographers  70 (71 including mine)
models   5 (all short)

Conclusion:  models don't much give a rip about equipment, and photographers are incorrigible gadget freaks!

Aug 19 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

e-string wrote:
Equipment makes a difference to me if I show up and he has a point-and-shoot and a bright light on a tripod he got at Menards. smile

now thats funny.... 

i do  take nice shots with my disposable camera....... if u only knew..!!!!!!...
i read something like that in a photography mag

where 2 photographers turned up

1 with a 350D and 1 with a  a camera with powergrip and superzoom...
and the question was !!??? who is the PRO who is the AMATEUR!!!???

I  guess you know what they all said.....
THE GUY WITH THE BIGGER CAMERA

Go figure......

Aug 19 06 05:56 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

I dunno ,I understand the whole digital image making but love prints from film , to me there is just something a little more sacred about it ... maybe the model just wanted to use them for web avi purposes.

Aug 19 06 06:16 am Link